Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Air America?

SonicFlyer
10-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Heard some rumblings lately about Air America having problems. Anyone heard this too? :confused:

MrFriendly7
10-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Interested as I am about to start my FIRC with then. The lifetime deal.

EhV8R
10-03-2018, 11:51 PM
A guy that just started at our shop a month or two ago said he was at Air America, until they shut down. Said there was a bunch of legal issues and shady happenings.

Not sure how accurate his story is, but that's the word I've heard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Selfmade92
10-04-2018, 03:29 AM
Very accurate, google pictometry vs air america law suit.

SonicFlyer
10-04-2018, 06:58 PM
Very accurate, google pictometry vs air america law suit.

Wow! I had no idea!

Just reading it...

According to Pictometry, Air America kept some of their equipment and refused to return it. They are demanding $7,000,000 from Air America in lost revenue.

Civil Action No. 6:18-cv-06487
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
WESTERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK

I have a copy of the suit filed by Pictometry if anyone wants to read it.

Tpinks
10-04-2018, 08:46 PM
And I read online one of the pilots killed in the Falcon 50 overrun in SC was the owner or president (someone high up at least) of Air America.

SonicFlyer
10-05-2018, 06:55 AM
And I read online one of the pilots killed in the Falcon 50 overrun in SC was the owner or president (someone high up at least) of Air America.

Oh wow....

Pilots Stephen Fox and John Caswell had flown planes for thousands of hours between them at the time of a jet crash that claimed their lives last week in South Carolina.

But federal records show neither man had the certification required to fly the Dassault Falcon 50 jet that slid off the runway of the Greenville Downtown Airport on Thursday, killing both of them and injuring two passengers on board....

Fox is listed in Florida state records as the registered agent for Air America Flight Services Inc. and Clearwater Aviation. The companies are headquartered at the St. Petersburg-Clearwater Airport and provide executive flight charters, aircraft management, maintenance services and pilot training, according to their websites. Air America also has a location in West Palm Beach.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/Florida-pilots-killed-in-South-Carolina-crash-lacked-certification-to-fly-private-jet_172276323

SonicFlyer
10-05-2018, 06:58 AM
Actually I think it may be two different companies that are unrelated. AA Flight Center vs AA Flight Services.

tritofly
10-05-2018, 08:25 AM
Wow! I had no idea!

Just reading it...

According to Pictometry, Air America kept some of their equipment and refused to return it. They are demanding $7,000,000 from Air America in lost revenue.

Civil Action No. 6:18-cv-06487
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
WESTERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK

I have a copy of the suit filed by Pictometry if anyone wants to read it.

Lets see it!

SonicFlyer
10-05-2018, 09:39 AM
Lets see it!

Grab it quick, it won't be up long:

https://file.io/gqKREc

Chemtrail1
10-05-2018, 06:24 PM
This thread is all over the place. I think the OP was referring to the old Pictometry Vendor. I think Air America is now defunct; Eagle View (Pictometry) was one of their biggest (if not their only) contract, and some EV hardware "disappeared." Add to that the tragic loss of an Aztec last season, a handful of other things that so many people whine and debate about like the 1099 contractor methods, and it sort of makes perfect sense that the business at least reorganizes. Having met many former Air America pilots, I can say that not all of them had bad experiences or complaints.

pocho
10-05-2018, 10:06 PM
I actually thoroughly enjoyed my experience at AA. It's too bad it ended this way, however. We all started learning about this just recently and are back to square one looking for work.

BravoPapa
10-06-2018, 10:21 AM
I actually thoroughly enjoyed my experience at AA. It's too bad it ended this way, however. We all started learning about this just recently and are back to square one looking for work.

So they are definitely out of business? Their website is still up. I was thinking about getting my multi there because their twins were so cheap.

pocho
10-06-2018, 10:36 AM
So they are definitely out of business? Their website is still up. I was thinking about getting my multi there because their twins were so cheap.

Iím pretty sure the flight school side of things is still going strong.

BravoPapa
10-06-2018, 10:41 AM
Iím pretty sure the flight school side of things is still going strong.

Ah, ok. I didn't realize we were just talking about one part of the business.

yrbroom
10-10-2018, 09:54 AM
To straighten out any confusion:

The flight school didn't go out of business. Their survey operation is on hold because of the lawsuit with EagleView. They don't have a contract to operate under, thus no projects for their planes. As far as I know, most of their survey planes are just sitting around. There are a couple LIDAR planes still flying projects but I believe those are contracted through a different company.

Who knows what will happen to their survey operation once this all gets sorted out. Why on earth they are keeping the photo pod from EV, I have no idea.

RJdriver89
10-16-2018, 06:35 AM
Anyone care to post a copy of the suit again?

Lusher
10-21-2018, 07:47 PM
The company isnít out of business. I was on one of the LiDAR planes until June. All of the projects came to a stop when the lawsuit was filed. I brought the plane I was on back to Daytona after sitting for a week waiting to find out what was going on. We got to the project city and when we went to get the files off of the server everything had disappeared. That was when the whole thing started. Since then the only pilots that have been flying are the team leads because the lawsuit prevents them from taking other contracts in the US if Iím not mistaken. Thereís not enough work.

The ďpropertyĒ is a different matter entirely. Iíll put it this way...EV was trying to do AA really dirty and they found out about it. Thatís all Iím gonna say bcuz I donít wanna get caught up myself. Lol. EV was in the wrong if it happened the way I hear it did. The lawsuit is going to be a mud slinging contest though.

EhV8R
10-21-2018, 09:07 PM
Well I mean EV does control most of the US work, but AA did try to resume an American project stateside after the suit. Now they are working international contracts violating the international work agreement which was filed for specifically and only EV contracts. I think the lawsuit has more validity than a mudslinging contest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pocho
10-22-2018, 02:42 PM
I just wish they would have told us what was going on when we all ferried the planes back in June. Heck they still haven't told us anything and it's now October. We all could have found other jobs sooner instead of sitting at home waiting for the call back to work that never came. Especially those pilots who are on contract until October/November. I loved my experience at AA, it's too bad it's come to this.

Jet757
11-05-2018, 12:41 PM
I'm not surprised. They had two guys die in the past two years or so. I've ran into their guys on the road and many were saying that they felt the company was pushy. ****ty hotels and lots of flying in crappy planes. Hell even when the wx was too bad to collect imagery they still wanted people to fly collect cash from pictometry.