Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Long Beach Seniority?

Wingnut64
10-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Howdy all,

I'm considering JB but I'm wondering about the relative seniority of the Long Beach base. I'd be commuting from SLC, so I am wondering how long it would take to get Long Beach. In other words, how long would I have to commute to the junior base? And would I be wrong in assuming that the junior base is JFK?

Thanks!

Bluedriver
10-03-2018, 01:02 PM
That's a bad idea for soooo many reasons.

BeatNavy
10-03-2018, 01:16 PM
Howdy all,

I'm considering JB but I'm wondering about the relative seniority of the Long Beach base. I'd be commuting from SLC, so I am wondering how long it would take to get Long Beach. In other words, how long would I have to commute to the junior base? And would I be wrong in assuming that the junior base is JFK?

Thanks!

Airlineapps.com/delta is the site you are looking for.

Beechnut
10-03-2018, 01:22 PM
Howdy all,

Thanks!

Hey Wingnut,

I just don't think Jetblue is for you. LGB is shrinking and already SUPER senior. Even if it were growing, it'll be a PITA as a new guy with no jumpseat seniority.

Same with Salt Lake to JFK. Tons of employees going back and forth and you'll have no priority. I live in Denver and see SLC commuters two legging it through here.

You may wish to re-think what you're trying to do.

Good Luck

goose15
10-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Howdy all,

Thanks!

Everything they said is true, but to answer your question, the most junior pilot in LGB is a August 2017 hire.
Unless something major happens, it probably will keep getting more senior.

BeatNavy
10-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Not to mention itís on the chopping block for further cuts. Wouldnít be surprised to see a displacement in 2019 with negative seniority. As a west coast guy I donít recommend this place unless DL/AA/UAL/SWA/FDX/UPS/ALK all donít call. Not trying to be a Richard, this just isnít a great place for west coast people. Certainly not SLC guys. This could all change, especially with a merger, but as it stands now itís tough unless you live in LA/SAN and can drive. Youíll be on reserve in LGB forever, if you can even hold it, and the trips arenít very good. Good luck whatever happens. I commute from the west coast and itís long and miserable. I have flown with a couple SLC guys at JFK and they say they are in the jump a lot.

benzoate
10-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Not to mention itís on the chopping block for further cuts. Wouldnít be surprised to see a displacement in 2019 with negative seniority. As a west coast guy I donít recommend this place unless DL/AA/UAL/SWA/FDX/UPS/ALK all donít call. Not trying to be a Richard, this just isnít a great place for west coast people. Certainly not SLC guys. This could all change, especially with a merger, but as it stands now itís tough unless you live in LA/SAN and can drive. Youíll be on reserve in LGB forever, if you can even hold it, and the trips arenít very good. Good luck whatever happens. I commute from the west coast and itís long and miserable. I have flown with a couple SLC guys at JFK and they say they are in the jump a lot.

To add to Navyís comment LGB has been profitable maybe a handful of times since opening. Management is open about this but the maintain the base as a west coast presence.

All that being said other carriers are better portions.

RiddleEagle18
10-03-2018, 04:23 PM
They clearly laid the foundation for some major west coast cuts on investor day. ďMajor fleet reallocationĒ were the words I believe.

If I had to guess, all of the intra west stuff will be going away and we will be left with transcons and the base will essentially shift to lax over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GuppyPuppy
10-03-2018, 05:18 PM
Gotta agree with most of the posts.

I can see us handing a lot of LGB flying to Moxy. Then shrinking the base dramatically and only flying trans-cons.

I just don't see any scenario where LGB thrives. If you ever want to upgrade in LGB I believe you'd be looking at 15 years minimum.

Living in base is the way to go.

Gup

capt707
10-03-2018, 05:20 PM
SLC is bad in general, with our call center located there, you always have tons of non-revs on every flight in every direction.

BeatNavy
10-03-2018, 05:31 PM
They clearly laid the foundation for some major west coast cuts on investor day. ďMajor fleet reallocationĒ were the words I believe.

If I had to guess, all of the intra west stuff will be going away and we will be left with transcons and the base will essentially shift to lax over time.

Which is why they insisted on unlimited domestic codeshares in our CBA and even went as far as to use Alaska as an example. Iím counting on a lot of our ops out west being done. Theyíll reallocate planes and crews to JFK/BOS/FLL and try to codeshare some West Coast stuff with ALK, until a merger with UAL/ALK/F9. Just a guess on how this saga will go.

ShyGuy
10-03-2018, 05:59 PM
It is interesting VX/AS closed up the NY base and cut out JFK-FLL/LAS/PSP and re-focused everything on the west coast. The posts above make it sound like jetBlue is doing the same thing on the west coast and bolster up the east. Coincidence? Or just preparation for least overlap for an easy DOJ Antitrust approval. Who knows.

hilltopflyer
10-03-2018, 06:01 PM
SLC is bad in general, with our call center located there, you always have tons of non-revs on every flight in every direction.

I think the last I looked at was 40 on the standby list.

RiddleEagle18
10-03-2018, 06:04 PM
It is interesting VX/AS closed up the NY base and cut out JFK-FLL/LAS/PSP and re-focused everything on the west coast. The posts above make it sound like jetBlue is doing the same thing on the west coast and bolster up the east. Coincidence? Or just preparation for least overlap for an easy DOJ Antitrust approval. Who knows.

I doubt there would be any hurdles to a JB AS tie up. What leg exactly would the DOJ have to stand on for any divestitures? It would still be the 5th airline in US.

The combined company would still be lacking a mid continent base. Iím not sure there is a whole lot of synergies to be gained without one. It would just be combining two niche carriers with no ability to move passengers between the route structures efficiently.

Bozo the pilot
10-03-2018, 06:08 PM
Airlineapps.com/delta is the site you are looking for.

B6 is not the airline you are looking for.
Think of it as the best regional and prioritize it accordingly.
All good advice on this thread.
Good luck.

CaptCoolHand
10-03-2018, 06:13 PM
Howdy all,

Thanks!

No....
No no no no....
Nope
Nopidy nope nope nope.

No

Just no.

jtrain609
10-03-2018, 07:24 PM
SLC is getting a second daytime flight to JFK in December. It doesn't make the commute any shorter, but it will make getting to JFK easier.

ShyGuy
10-04-2018, 10:43 AM
No....
No no no no....
Nope
Nopidy nope nope nope.

No

Just no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yX_1gJ_51M

benzoate
10-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Howdy all,

Thanks!

Im not sure why someone who lives in SLC would not go to Delta. And if you are going to commute west why not go to UAL?

jtrain609
10-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Im not sure why someone who lives in SLC would not go to Delta. And if you are going to commute west why not go to UAL?

https://i.imgflip.com/2jepf9.jpg

benzoate
10-04-2018, 01:34 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/2jepf9.jpg

Thatís ****ing hilarious. Love it.

Iíd venture that if you are a qualified applicant jetblue is more difficult as the airline does not desire experience.

Wingnut64
10-05-2018, 07:33 AM
Thanks to all who replied. My goal was to determine if JB would be a good place to go as an improvement from a regional if I don't get the call from a major. With your input, I've determined that I'm better off staying in my regional Captain job and waiting for a better option.

Fly safe, and I hope it goes well with JB.

Thanks again!

hilltopflyer
10-05-2018, 08:09 AM
Thanks to all who replied. My goal was to determine if JB would be a good place to go as an improvement from a regional if I don't get the call from a major. With your input, I've determined that I'm better off staying in my regional Captain job and waiting for a better option.

Fly safe, and I hope it goes well with JB.

Thanks again!

I will say you will make more in year 2 then you ever will as a regional captain. So just have to decide if you want to commute to jfk or Boston till a legacy calls.

benzoate
10-05-2018, 08:21 AM
I will say you will make more in year 2 then you ever will as a regional captain. So just have to decide if you want to commute to jfk or Boston till a legacy calls.

Thats a tough one. Leave a schedule you know for reserve at a glorified regional. You will make more money but is a year or two on reserve worth it?

Wingnut64
10-05-2018, 08:33 AM
Ok, hypothetical question...I used to live in NH and I would be willing to move back there. If I was still living in NH, and interested in a Boston base, would this group recommend pursuing a career at JB?

Thanks!

hilltopflyer
10-05-2018, 08:43 AM
Ok, hypothetical question...I used to live in NH and I would be willing to move back there. If I was still living in NH, and interested in a Boston base, would this group recommend pursuing a career at JB?

Thanks!

Living in base makes this job great. It isnít ever going to be a legacy on retirements. But itís a good place to be driving to work. Especially if on reserve.

nuball5
10-05-2018, 09:02 AM

Thanks!

Keep in mind in BOS, you might not see the A320 for a few years. They reduced the amount of FO's by -10 in the last system bid, and I'm sure there's plenty (including myself) waiting to make the move. I'd be looking at the 190/220 payscale more than the 320 if I was a prospective new-hire now....especially if you want Boston.

hilltopflyer
10-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Keep in mind in BOS, you might not see the A320 for a few years. They reduced the amount of FO's by -10 in the last system bid, and I'm sure there's plenty (including myself) waiting to make the move. I'd be looking at the 190/220 payscale more than the 320 if I was a prospective new-hire now....especially if you want Boston.

They also could have capped the system bid and only going to put new hires in there. Saves a lot of training cycles.

Wingnut64
10-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the input. I've done a lot of financial number crunching to decide if changing jobs and moving vs not moving is going to be worth it. I'm using the lowest paying airframe in all of my calculations, wherever that may be.

Thanks again.

benzoate
10-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the input. I've done a lot of financial number crunching to decide if changing jobs and moving vs not moving is going to be worth it. I'm using the lowest paying airframe in all of my calculations, wherever that may be.

Thanks again.

Every ounce of this is a gamble. One hiccup in the economy and a legacy could furlough. But then again with all the retirements maybe not. Jetblue is short on pilots but has very few retirements. Look at the salary and benefits and if you can live with that have at it.

I will say this. In my opinion you never move for a job. Life is to short to live somewhere you donít like.

GuppyPuppy
10-05-2018, 11:46 AM
I will say this. In my opinion you never move for a job. Life is to short to live somewhere you donít like.

Which is exactly why I moved to my domicile. More flexible schedule, more time at home, more time with my family.

It's been good, so far.

Gup

Toonces
10-07-2018, 05:32 PM

Thanks!

Iím in my first year in BOS on the 320 and I live in southern NH. This job is cake. I havenít broken guarantee yet on reserve. Thatís a good thing in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyby1206
10-07-2018, 05:49 PM
I doubt there would be any hurdles to a JB AS tie up. What leg exactly would the DOJ have to stand on for any divestitures? It would still be the 5th airline in US.

The combined company would still be lacking a mid continent base. Iím not sure there is a whole lot of synergies to be gained without one. It would just be combining two niche carriers with no ability to move passengers between the route structures efficiently.

This is a common complaint (no mid-con hub) but is it really necessary with new aircraft technology and efficiency? Could a 'barbell network' actually work now with something like the A220? Bypassing the legacy mid-con hub connection would be enticing for many pax.

Flyby1206
10-07-2018, 05:50 PM
Iím in my first year in BOS on the 320 and I live in southern NH. This job is cake. I havenít broken guarantee yet on reserve. Thatís a good thing in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shhh!!! Delete this post ;)

benzoate
10-08-2018, 04:18 AM

Donít worry boys. No one is intentionally moving to the northeast:cool:

Rabid Seagull
10-08-2018, 05:01 AM

Don't worry, the company already knows. That's why the system bid was -10.

...or what staffing increase?:rolleyes:

WestCoastFlyr
10-08-2018, 09:25 AM
As far as the SLC-LGB commute goes, don't forget LGB is pretty much midway between LAX and SNA. Many more options from SLC to those two airports, and the Uber ride ain't that bad or long for the most part. Even with traffic an hour usually max from LAX.