Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Class Dates?

Glasswing
10-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Hey folks,
Trying to get a feel for how far out Skywest is scheduling class dates. I know there have been lots of delays industry wide.

For reference, my interview is in two weeks. If they like me, how far down the road would a class date be?
Thanks!

word302
10-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Hey folks,
Trying to get a feel for how far out Skywest is scheduling class dates. I know there have been lots of delays industry wide.

For reference, my interview is in two weeks. If they like me, how far down the road would a class date be?
Thanks!

We are not experiencing the same delays the rest of the industry is. If you take the CRJ, you'll be given a class as soon as you want. You may have a little bit of a wait for the ERJ.

savedbythevnav
10-03-2018, 06:33 PM
This is the one area most people at OO heavily respect: the training department.

They do their job and do it well. Classes run approximately every two weeks. I haven't heard of any sort of delay in training unless it was due to a training failure. Even then, the delay is minimal (1 week tops) I'm told.

Most folks I know at 9E finished training 1-2 months after a new hire at OO was already out on-line.

Claxstarr
10-04-2018, 06:26 AM
This is the one area most people at OO heavily respect: the training department.

They do their job and do it well. Classes run approximately every two weeks. I haven't heard of any sort of delay in training unless it was due to a training failure. Even then, the delay is minimal (1 week tops) I'm told.

Most folks I know at 9E finished training 1-2 months after a new hire at OO was already out on-line.

You really cannot understate this enough... this is one of the biggest pulls...
I would rather be done with training (at a respected training department) and be flying the line while my buddy hasn't even started class yet. If it means not getting a signing bonus, then so be it.
My priorities are elsewhere.

Claxstarr
10-04-2018, 06:29 AM
I've actually got one friend at PSA that took 8 months to get a class date, and another at envoy that took 4 months to get a class date and after 10 months after starting... he's still not broken 200hrs.

Glasswing
10-04-2018, 08:36 AM
I agree, the training is a huge attraction to Skywest.

Thanks for the input everyone! Interview in 2 weeks, I am also finishing up a bachelors online; trying do decide if I should sign up for the next 8-week semester of classes. Would put me in classes until December 10th. I fully intend to devote my attention to training and not be trying to finish up a college class.

If training dates come that quickly i will probably hold off on college work just in case I get lucky with Skywest.

DBLA831
10-04-2018, 09:07 AM
I am just curious. With whom are you completing your online degree with?

Glasswing
10-04-2018, 10:38 AM
I am using Liberty University Online.

I researched UVU and a few of the others but it worked out best to go to Liberty because I have a bunch of credits not related to Aviation so I'm doing a Bachelors of Interdisciplinary Studies with a dual focus in Aviation and Religion.

Pretty happy with the program so far.

shrekviper
10-19-2018, 11:28 AM
I interviewed Tuesday (16 Oct), got called yesterday (18 Oct) with the CJO and to choose class start date. I chose 6 Dec for the ERJ. There were earlier dates, but I'm getting the family settled during November. They are very accommodating for your start dates.

Glasswing
10-19-2018, 01:58 PM
I interviewed Tuesday (16 Oct), got called yesterday (18 Oct) with the CJO and to choose class start date. I chose 6 Dec for the ERJ. There were earlier dates, but I'm getting the family settled during November. They are very accommodating for your start dates.

Thanks! I Interviewed yesterday so hopefully I'll get a call soon.

shrekviper
10-20-2018, 07:43 AM
Thanks! I Interviewed yesterday so hopefully I'll get a call soon.

Good luck!

Jworth22
10-28-2018, 09:41 AM
Hello, a little off topic but I did not want to start a new thread over this. From this thread it seems like new hires choose aircraft and base after the interview. I was thinking you donít chose until Indoc? Am I confused or is that right? Another question: I know at Republic, once you can hold a base, you donít get it until 4 months after your award. Does Skywest work the same way? I would love to get COS or DEN right out of training but idk if thatís possible or not.

JBirdE175
10-28-2018, 11:36 AM
Hello, a little off topic but I did not want to start a new thread over this. From this thread it seems like new hires choose aircraft and base after the interview. I was thinking you donít chose until Indoc? Am I confused or is that right? Another question: I know at Republic, once you can hold a base, you donít get it until 4 months after your award. Does Skywest work the same way? I would love to get COS or DEN right out of training but idk if thatís possible or not.

You will "choose" your aircraft prior to starting. During your first few weeks you will have the ability to put in your base request. You should get the award sometime during ground school/sim. Now there award is based on seniority. Most likely you'll be sent to a junior base - of which neither COS or DEN are on either airframe.

CRJ: COS (2 months) DEN (4 months)
ERJ: DEN (7 months)

Looks like you may have a chance to get COS on the CRJ before you finish training, but the initial award will most likely be for DTW (CRJ) or LGA (ERJ). You have the ability to try to change bases every single month though, whereas other regionals only give you that option every 3 or 4 months. I'd bet you only end up commuting for a month or 2 at most if you take the CRJ.

amcnd
10-28-2018, 11:39 AM

Before you show up ypu are assigned a aircraft. You will do indoc/systems for that aircraft (SLC-CRJ /DEN-ERJ). You get your base around sim time. All based off of when they do transfers (around the last week of the month..) then your free to bid what ever base you want. (Bids once again happen monthly twards the end of the month..). Example. NH got awarded FAT last month around End of September... they have a bid in for ORD. Bids close this month OCT 30th. With a effective date of December.. if they are awarded ORD they will be in PBS on NOV 10th to bid schedule for ORD for December..

Jworth22
10-28-2018, 08:49 PM
You will "choose" your aircraft prior to starting. During your first few weeks you will have the ability to put in your base request. You should get the award sometime during ground school/sim. Now there award is based on seniority. Most likely you'll be sent to a junior base - of which neither COS or DEN are on either airframe.

CRJ: COS (2 months) DEN (4 months)
ERJ: DEN (7 months)

Looks like you may have a chance to get COS on the CRJ before you finish training, but the initial award will most likely be for DTW (CRJ) or LGA (ERJ). You have the ability to try to change bases every single month though, whereas other regionals only give you that option every 3 or 4 months. I'd bet you only end up commuting for a month or 2 at most if you take the CRJ.

This is very helpful. Thank you guys!

Radio
10-29-2018, 02:58 PM
Great infos, thank you.

How long is initial training on the CRJ/ERJ ?

ShahOfSky
11-08-2018, 10:47 AM
If you have the time and type, what are the chances to get a CA slot out of training??

amcnd
11-08-2018, 10:52 AM
If you have the time and type, what are the chances to get a CA slot out of training??

Well. I heard CRJ training is supposedly increasing. (Still have 18 CRJ900ís coming) and some Used 700ís keep getting addicting to our opps specs, but it all depends on how many in front of ulu have the time. Few springs ago it went to NHís... this spring..???... maybe .. if not 1-1.5 years for CRJ .

word302
11-08-2018, 11:50 AM

0 currently.

emrbgns
11-08-2018, 06:24 PM
Only downside is the 6+ hrs of reading/questions each night and a douche named Joe whoíll introduce himself as a former F-14 pilot (indicating clearly a small appendage and a huge chip) who has no business in training.

Paid2fly
11-08-2018, 07:06 PM
Only downside is the 6+ hrs of reading/questions each night and a douche named Joe whoíll introduce himself as a former F-14 pilot (indicating clearly a small appendage and a huge chip) who has no business in training.

SLC or DEN, CRJ or ERJ?

savedbythevnav
11-09-2018, 05:38 AM
Well. I heard CRJ training is supposedly increasing. (Still have 18 CRJ900ís coming) and some Used 700ís keep getting addicting to our opps specs, but it all depends on how many in front of ulu have the time. Few springs ago it went to NHís... this spring..???... maybe .. if not 1-1.5 years for CRJ .

I thought these 18 900's weren't really growth but rather a replacement of older CRJ's, no?

amcnd
11-09-2018, 11:42 AM
I thought these 18 900's weren't really growth but rather a replacement of older CRJ's, no?

Replace 700ís that go get painted and fly for AA DFW.. so yes growth. Some 200ís going into limbo. But if you watch EAS route bidding OO is on the hunt for some more citys..

NewGuy01
11-09-2018, 04:17 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181110/899701a88decdbf93ad491537aab9b7a.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zondaracer
11-10-2018, 06:00 AM

I like Joe. Iíve had him for sim before. I thought he was a good instructor.

huetscm
11-10-2018, 10:51 AM
I apologize if this has already been discussed. I have CTP on December 2nd and Indoc on December 12th, does anyone know how far in advance they send the travel/confirmation for training? Thanks! :)

Flying Spike
11-10-2018, 01:53 PM
I apologize if this has already been discussed. I have CTP on December 2nd and Indoc on December 12th, does anyone know how far in advance they send the travel/confirmation for training? Thanks! :)About 5 days before start of CTP. Check the top right on your SkyWest on-line page for instructions.

Hawker445
11-15-2018, 07:42 PM
0 currently.

According to the site (last I saw)The most junior CRJ FO for SFO was hired 10/18 and was in training when I interviewed the other day

word302
11-17-2018, 10:53 PM
According to the site (last I saw)The most junior CRJ FO for SFO was hired 10/18 and was in training when I interviewed the other day

The guy was asking about a captain position off the street.

norflyer
11-20-2018, 02:08 PM
Question when it comes to the CRJ. Is the 200 separate from the 7/9, or do CRJ pilots fly all 3?

MidnightHauler
11-20-2018, 03:27 PM
Question when it comes to the CRJ. Is the 200 separate from the 7/9, or do CRJ pilots fly all 3?

We fly all three at OO.

norflyer
11-20-2018, 05:41 PM
We fly all three at OO.

Thanks. Anyone got a list of which CRJ types flies out of each base? Been looking around for it, but haven't seen one

threeighteen
11-20-2018, 09:45 PM
Thanks. Anyone got a list of which CRJ types flies out of each base? Been looking around for it, but haven't seen one

It's not that simple. Some bases have 2/7/9 flying, some have 2/7 flying only, some have 7/9 flying only. DFW miiiight be 700 only. PHX is mostly 700 with 200 flights only to SGU.

The 900 can mostly be found in SLC, MSP, DTW, IAH, and a little bit in ORD. ATL was supposed to get some but that hasn't materialized and might not ever.

The 700 flies out of almost all CRJ bases except ATL I think.

200 out of all CRJ bases except for DFW and IAH, I think.

zondaracer
11-21-2018, 06:35 AM
IAH now has 200 pairings for December, covering some Expressjet routes.

The 700/900 fly in and out of ATL next month but it’s being flown by other crews. The issue is that the company wants to see if the 7/900 flying in ATL is long term. If it is, they have to increase the number of flight attendants in ATL to staff the 7/900.

SFO 2/7/9
FAT 2/7
LAX 2/7/9
PSP 2/7
PHX 2/7
TUS 2/7
SLC 2/7/9
DEN 2/7
COS 2/7
DFW 7
IAH 2/7/9
MSP 2/7/9
DTW 2/7/9
ORD 2/7/9
ATL 2

The further west you go, the less 900 flying. SFO literally has 2 900 parings next month.

There is a 200 that flies in and out of DFW but it is flown on an EAS route by ORD crews.

amcnd
11-21-2018, 07:03 AM
If your trying to ďavoidĒ the 200. Dont. CQ will eat your bacon. Your MV or LOE will be in a 200.

E6BAV8R
11-26-2018, 11:54 AM
If your trying to ďavoidĒ the 200. Dont. CQ will eat your bacon. Your MV or LOE will be in a 200.

I thought CQ was in a 700 this year?

zondaracer
11-26-2018, 11:59 AM

Itís always in both. Two sim sessions, one MV and one LOE.

hawk21
11-26-2018, 12:48 PM

MV is in the 700. LOE is in the 200. Opposite of last year.

Check Complete
11-26-2018, 02:38 PM
With sim times that can start at 4 am and can run until 2am, what could be the problem?

It's just a PRIA reporting event.

Republic has it in their contract no stupid early or late times.

amcnd
11-26-2018, 05:54 PM
With sim times that can start at 4 am and can run until 2am, what could be the problem?

Maybe thats the backlog reason at Republic. 4am or 2am isnít that big of a deal. No different then flying the line with late arivals or early departures...

dera
11-26-2018, 06:13 PM

Isn't Republic same as Envoy - sims can be stupid early or late, but no checkrides at silly hours.

word302
12-02-2018, 04:17 AM
Maybe thats the backlog reason at Republic. 4am or 2am isnít that big of a deal. No different then flying the line with late arivals or early departures...

I completely disagree.

amcnd
12-02-2018, 05:46 AM
I completely disagree.

FedEx/UPS isnít for you then. Oh and Redeyeís those go Jr at some Majors. Better not do that also.. enjoy your 9-5 locals...

Melit
12-02-2018, 05:54 AM
I completely disagree.

of course you do...:rolleyes:

word302
12-02-2018, 04:40 PM
FedEx/UPS isnít for you then. Oh and Redeyeís those go Jr at some Majors. Better not do that also.. enjoy your 9-5 locals...

You are correct, and none of those places have checking events at those hours.

dream2flly
12-18-2018, 09:57 AM
Hi Everyone,

Rather than starting a new thread I will post here.

Skywest is my first choice. I have met the hour requirements and submitted my application this past weekend.

I received a call from a recruiter this morning who was advocating an interview at my local job fair January 19th. I was told CRJ training was impacted currently until March. Does that sound right?

My concern is if I wait another month to interview my class date will be pushed back further. I was really hoping to start training in February. Should I request a sooner interview? I was supprised CRJ training is that impacted I knew the ERJ was.

Thanks

Erj135dude
12-18-2018, 12:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

Rather than starting a new thread I will post here.

Skywest is my first choice. I have met the hour requirements and submitted my application this past weekend.

I received a call from a recruiter this morning who was advocating an interview at my local job fair January 19th. I was told CRJ training was impacted currently until March. Does that sound right?

My concern is if I wait another month to interview my class date will be pushed back further. I was really hoping to start training in February. Should I request a sooner interview? I was supprised CRJ training is that impacted I knew the ERJ was.

Thanks

That sucks. I plan on interviewing in 2 months, so at least a may class is what I can expect :D (not that I'd get my 1500h before that date anyways)

amcnd
12-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Considering Republic/Endeavor are fall 2019 class dates. Waiting one month isnít bad. I think SkyWest has been flooded with people applying from these waiting regionals. Interview as soon as possible. Just 3 weeks ago they could have got you in class the next week... walking past the interview room Iíve been seeing 6-8 interviewees...

dream2flly
12-18-2018, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the responses. Completely my fault for waiting to interview - life got busy. Just wondering if other people have run into this recently having the CRJ training impacted?

I know a month ago people were offered a date right after interviewing that's part of why I waited. Live and learn!

Claxstarr
12-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the responses. Completely my fault for waiting to interview - life got busy. Just wondering if other people have run into this recently having the CRJ training impacted?

I know a month ago people were offered a date right after interviewing that's part of why I waited. Live and learn!

i've got a Feb1st CTP & training class date, and my buddy who interviewed 2 weeks later could only get a march date.
I'm pretty sure the Feb dates are full now. I would definitely recommend interviewing asap if you've got the hours.

domino
12-18-2018, 08:50 PM

There is a recession coming so I wouldnít sweat it. Get on the seniority list though as soon as you can so the furlough isnít as long

FlyJP3
12-19-2018, 11:46 AM
So after my interview last week I was offered classes for the CRJ in March, and was told there was an ERJ class Late Feb and early March. I'm living in Denver and trying to figure out which airframe to take.

1. What will the yearly hours look like for each?
2. What will the reserve time be for each?
3. How long to hold Denver on each?

Also, if awarded a different base, am I able to bid to move bases every month or every 3 months?

I was told I would be able to hold Denver after IOE on the ERJ and sooner on the CRJ, just wondering how accurate that is.

Erj135dude
12-19-2018, 02:07 PM
There is a recession coming so I wouldnít sweat it. Get on the seniority list though as soon as you can so the furlough isnít as long

Love optimistic people ✌️

word302
12-20-2018, 11:44 AM
So after my interview last week I was offered classes for the CRJ in March, and was told there was an ERJ class Late Feb and early March. I'm living in Denver and trying to figure out which airframe to take.

1. What will the yearly hours look like for each?
2. What will the reserve time be for each?
3. How long to hold Denver on each?

Also, if awarded a different base, am I able to bid to move bases every month or every 3 months?

I was told I would be able to hold Denver after IOE on the ERJ and sooner on the CRJ, just wondering how accurate that is.

If I were you I would take the ERJ if the class dates are the same. You will have opportunity to work in the training department in Denver and have a vastly better QOL.

chitolin
12-20-2018, 01:47 PM
If I were you I would take the ERJ if the class dates are the same. You will have opportunity to work in the training department in Denver and have a vastly better QOL.

Most junior guy At Denver is a March Hire. 30-41 line holders. Youíll be on reserve a while on the 175.
Crj junior guy is October 2018 hire, over 160 peeps the and about 84 lines. There are also CRJ trainers in DEN

thaddiusMbuggs
12-20-2018, 01:54 PM

It is true a recession will eventually hit. That is a certainty. But from all my reading it isn't even on the distant horizon at this stage, but two things in regards to this to consider...

1 - SkyWest has never furloughed anyone.

2 - Who can operate flights on the cheap for mainline partners? a regional. I wouldn't expect any overly major issues for SKW + the other stronger regional airlines. A recession may even result in relaxation of scope clause as well. Can anyone say E190/A220? (jokes - maybe)

Sorry, thread drift, just my 2 cents but as always with the economy and airlines...who knows! Anyone who can predict this stuff would be a very rich man or woman! :D

word302
12-20-2018, 03:32 PM
It is true a recession will eventually hit. That is a certainty. But from all my reading it isn't even on the distant horizon at this stage, but two things in regards to this to consider...

1 - SkyWest has never furloughed anyone.

2 - Who can operate flights on the cheap for mainline partners? a regional. I wouldn't expect any overly major issues for SKW + the other stronger regional airlines. A recession may even result in relaxation of scope clause as well. Can anyone say E190/A220? (jokes - maybe)

Sorry, thread drift, just my 2 cents but as always with the economy and airlines...who knows! Anyone who can predict this stuff would be a very rich man or woman! :D

Anyone who thinks a 5000 pilot Skywest would not furlough in an economic downturn is foolish at best. We were about half the current size the last time things went to crap.

thaddiusMbuggs
12-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Anyone who thinks a 5000 pilot Skywest would not furlough in an economic downturn is foolish at best. We were about half the current size the last time things went to crap.

Ah, touche' you sir, are quite correct. That I did not factor in :)

Still, hope it is not a bridge that needs crossing for some time yet.

amcnd
12-20-2018, 05:12 PM

Were only 4782. And they want 5100 by spring... and have long term CPAís with flexibility. But last ressesion we grew from 1700pilots to 3000 pilots..

word302
12-20-2018, 06:10 PM
Were only 4782. And they want 5100 by spring... and have long term CPAís with flexibility. But last ressesion we grew from 1700pilots to 3000 pilots..

LOL. So we doubled in size during the recession? We barely hit 3000 pilots by 2014, the recession was over for years by then.

hawk21
12-21-2018, 09:55 PM
Just because SkyWest was recession proof last time doesnít mean they are recession proof next time.

Claxstarr
12-22-2018, 05:31 AM
Just because SkyWest was recession proof last time doesnít mean they are recession proof next time.

And it also doesn't mean it won't be recession proof next time.
I'd say better than 50/50 considering past records...

MarineFly
12-22-2018, 06:14 AM
And it also doesn't mean it won't be recession proof next time.
I'd say better than 50/50 considering past records...

with all this talk about SkyWest never furloughing any pilots, isnt it true however, that they did talk with certain pilots, who did then stop flying. So the company did contract somewhat, it was just under somewhat (technically) different circumstances than a "furlough". Maybe also other pilots flew fewer hours to account?

Not trying to be argumentative, just asking. Thats the way I read the literature on SkyWest during the downturn....

domino
12-22-2018, 06:45 AM

The market has changed. The majors have changed. There used to be turboprops making it cost prohibitive to furlough due to training. Now all jets. SkyWest will certainly furlough if it has to the next time round. Depending on how deep the recession is, expect the bottom 1000 to be in the danger zone. Majors wonít furlough because they are losing so many to retirement.

NeedsMoreCowbel
12-22-2018, 09:38 AM
there's always at least 1 :D

Utah
12-22-2018, 02:39 PM
with all this talk about SkyWest never furloughing any pilots, isnt it true however, that they did talk with certain pilots, who did then stop flying. So the company did contract somewhat, it was just under somewhat (technically) different circumstances than a "furlough". Maybe also other pilots flew fewer hours to account?

Not trying to be argumentative, just asking. Thats the way I read the literature on SkyWest during the downturn....

"Talk to certain pilots" I'm not sure what you mean by that, but no one was told they couldn't work. What they did was limit montly line awards to about 77 hours of credit for line holders, have 30+% reserve coverage, and offer leave of abscence for 12+ months.

The only reason we didn't furlough was that it was cheaper to pay out 75 hours a month, than pay for a bunch of retraining and domicile displacements.

Being on reserve for years and only flying a couple days a month was common.

MarineFly
12-22-2018, 03:29 PM
"Talk to certain pilots" I'm not sure what you mean by that, but no one was told they couldn't work. What they did was limit montly line awards to about 77 hours of credit for line holders, have 30+% reserve coverage, and offer leave of abscence for 12+ months.

The only reason we didn't furlough was that it was cheaper to pay out 75 hours a month, than pay for a bunch of retraining and domicile displacements.

Being on reserve for years and only flying a couple days a month was common.

Got it. Makes sense. Appreciate your reply

thrustisamust
01-05-2019, 07:46 AM
Anyone in the Feb 7 ctp class in den with ground school on the 19th? Iím getting pumped!!

watch
01-05-2019, 07:50 AM
What is the earliest class up for someone hired on the ERJ today?

Claxstarr
01-05-2019, 11:19 AM
What is the earliest class up for someone hired on the ERJ today?

February 29th

chitolin
01-05-2019, 06:30 PM
February 29th

Late March

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1