Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Envoy outside of the flow?

armypilot
10-04-2018, 11:38 AM
I was just curious how many guys are getting the call from Envoy, PSA, or Piedmont outside of the flow, if any.

Second question: Has anyone gotten a second chance on the video interview or is it pretty much a one and done kind of thing?

redbaronahp
10-04-2018, 11:48 AM
I was just curious how many guys are getting the call from Envoy, PSA, or Piedmont outside of the flow, if any.

Second question: Has anyone gotten a second chance on the video interview or is it pretty much a one and done kind of thing?

My interview group had one envoy, one psa, and one piedmont outside the flow. My new hire group had 2 PSA outside the flow.

I know several people hired outside the flow from within the past 6 months.

FlyyGuyy
10-04-2018, 12:13 PM
My interview group had one envoy, one psa, and one piedmont outside the flow. My new hire group had 2 PSA outside the flow.

I know several people hired outside the flow from within the past 6 months.

PSA has at least 2 more outside the flow going to aa

Otterbox
10-04-2018, 12:16 PM

AA WO pilots are hired outside the flow often.

If you have questions regarding eligibility to reapply after a TBNT try reaching out to [email protected]

stillageek
10-05-2018, 07:32 AM
It's possible. I'm no one special and was hired from Envoy outside the flow. Hired by American Eagle in 10/07. Hired by AA 08/17. Started class 11/17. Supposed to have been in class per flow 10/18.

Once BK started I began working on an exit plan. Job Fairs, networking, volunteering in and outside the airline and interview prep.

SoFloFlyer
10-06-2018, 05:34 PM
It's possible. I'm no one special and was hired from Envoy outside the flow. Hired by American Eagle in 10/07. Hired by AA 08/17. Started class 11/17. Supposed to have been in class per flow 10/18.

Once BK started I began working on an exit plan. Job Fairs, networking, volunteering in and outside the airline and interview prep.

And thatísladies and gentlemen, is how you land the job! Not enough pilots doing that and waiting for the flow!

UPTme
10-06-2018, 07:23 PM
Those ~800 extra numbers behind you is probably worth over half a million dollars throughout your career. Nice work.

mketch11
10-07-2018, 05:58 AM
And thatísladies and gentlemen, is how you land the job! Not enough pilots doing that and waiting for the flow!

So I should wait 10 years to be hired off the street instead of flowing in 5.5 years?

There is a reason some folks are waiting for the flow, itís a much shorter wait for most that were hired lately

Pilot X
10-07-2018, 06:19 AM
So I should wait 10 years to be hired off the street instead of flowing in 5.5 years?

There is a reason some folks are waiting for the flow, itís a much shorter wait for most that were hired lately

How bout trying to get hired while waiting for the flow :rolleyes:

Slick111
10-07-2018, 06:39 AM
AA WO pilots are hired outside the flow often.

No, they're not. I've been at PSA for 4 years. I know of three pilots who were hired at AA outside of the flow. One was a chief pilot, one was a well-connected female, and the other (most recent) was PSA's Director of Operations.

It sounds like you might be simply trying to recruit pilots for one of the AA regionals.

If you have questions regarding eligibility to reapply after a TBNT try reaching out to [email protected]

Oh, look at that! Looks like I was right!

Otterbox
10-07-2018, 07:48 AM
No, they're not. I've been at PSA for 4 years. I know of three pilots who were hired at AA outside of the flow. One was a chief pilot, one was a well-connected female, and the other (most recent) was PSA's Director of Operations.

It sounds like you might be simply trying to recruit pilots for one of the AA regionals.

Go check out the AA threads where they talk about NH class makeups. There are Non flow WO pilots in classes a good bit... the frequency has been increasing.

Dude wants to go to AA, and if I remember correctly, eff’d away the initial video interview somehow while deployed and asked a non standard question the forum folks don’t have an answer to... if not the direct source, where would you recommend he find answers to his specific question? Please enlighten everyone.

Paperboi
10-07-2018, 09:23 AM
You only know of three cause most guys dont advertise being hired outside flow. My class alone had 3 PSA, 2 Piedmont and 4 Envoy hired off street. No chief pilots just normal peeps, a couple check airmen.

Slick111
10-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Dude wants to go to AA, and if I remember correctly, effíd away the initial video interview somehow while deployed and asked a non standard question the forum folks donít have an answer to... if not the direct source, where would you recommend he find answers to his specific question? Please enlighten everyone.

I'm not trying to answer his question. I'm simply responding to YOUR answer.

I'm on the ground! I'm in the crew rooms. I'm on our social media. I walk around and talk to other pilots in the terminals during our frequent 3 1/2 hour sits. I don't see, (or hear of), AA hiring from their wholy-owned regionals, outside of the flow,..... "often".

But why listen to a guy who's actually AT one of the wholy-owned regionals,..... when the o.p. can listen to a recruiter?

riel39
10-07-2018, 10:57 AM

I could be wrong, but I think you guys missed the real question from the thread starter? Maybe heís a helo guy looking for a ďrotor flow programĒ to a WO? I know Envoy has one; not sure about the others?

CopeyPaste
10-07-2018, 11:40 AM
I was hired OTS from Envoy this Summer. My Class had a total of 4 OTS Envoy. My friend and I were both line check airman with purely civilian backgrounds, I had a total of 7 years at Envoy and she had 5.The other two OTS were former military, 1 FO who had 8 months with Envoy, and the other was a CA who had about 5 years.

SoFloFlyer
10-07-2018, 07:11 PM

No, Iím saying that any pilot should be doing all that so that they donít have to depend on the flow. And for those who are not at a WO, thatís how you get to a legacy carrier.

armypilot
10-08-2018, 12:19 PM

I could be wrong, but I think you guys missed the real question from the thread starter? Maybe heís a helo guy looking for a ďrotor flow programĒ to a WO? I know Envoy has one; not sure about the others?
Once upon a time I was a rotor guy, however I got lucky and got the Army’s fixed wing course several years ago. Started at Envoy a few months ago. Now just wondering the chances of getting hired outside of the flow now that I’m here. 8-9 years is a long time to wait.

TransWorld
10-08-2018, 01:59 PM
In 2017 there were 60 total civilian OTS, all regionals, etc. So it was pretty rare.

Now, with significantly more hiring in 2018, civilian OTS, and specifically WOs are no longer a rarity.

Those additional hires have to come from someplace, donít they?

Bluetaildragger
01-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Here's the breakdown of 2018 hiring at AA:

-939 total new hires.

*45% selection, 55% flow.

So....
-513 regional flows
*335 from Envoy, 114 from PSA, 64 from Piedmont

-426 selected
*230 strictly military
*100 military and civilian
*96 strictly civilian trained

Here's the number you all will really be interested in:

*53 WO pilots selected outside of the flow.

5051 WO pilots, 52 pilots hired outside the flow = 1.03% of WO pilots that get the call

SheepDogg
01-20-2019, 08:12 AM
Here's the number you all will really be interested in:

*53 WO pilots selected outside of the flow.

5051 WO pilots, 52 pilots hired outside the flow = 1.03% of WO pilots that get the call

This statistic would only be significant in the context of how many of those 5051 WO pilots actually have applications on file with AA HR. The number is shockingly low. When you look at that relative percentile, the chance of a WO pilot who has a current and competitive application on file has an even better chance of being called for an interview than a similarly qualified non-WO civilian regional pilot. I don't know why more PSA/PDT/Envoy pilots do not apply but the fact of the matter is, an overwhelming majority of them are not even trying.

TransWorld
01-20-2019, 10:38 AM
If you add the Mil&Civ and the Civ only together, that is 21% of the total hires for 2018. That is a big increase compared to 2017 which was only 9%.

Mil only was almost unchanged number of hires, 2018 vs. 2017. As there were significantly more total hires, this percentage decreased.

Flow number of hires increased, but the percentage of total hires remained about unchanged at 55%.

My conclusions:

- AA is keeping the flow percentages the same.

- AA is hiring the same number of Mil only OTS, maybe there is a limited pot coming out of the Mil that want to fly commercial. (Would be curious how the other majors faired.)

- AA difference / more hires are coming from CIV OTS

As they say in investment advertisements, past performance is no guarantee of future results (but I think it could be a decent predictor.)

Bluetaildragger
01-20-2019, 10:58 AM
This statistic would only be significant in the context of how many of those 5051 WO pilots actually have applications on file with AA HR. The number is shockingly low. When you look at that relative percentile, the chance of a WO pilot who has a current and competitive application on file has an even better chance of being called for an interview than a similarly qualified non-WO civilian regional pilot. I don't know why more PSA/PDT/Envoy pilots do not apply but the fact of the matter is, an overwhelming majority of them are not even trying.

That is fair. Best number I can find is 16% of WO pilots have an app on file with AA.

That's 808 pilots with apps on file. Assuming that stays consistent, that's 6.56% of applicants who get selected.

PRS Guitars
01-20-2019, 11:12 AM
All of the WO guys should have their apps at AA along with DAL, UAL, SWA, FedEx, UPS, etc. Might as well throw some darts, one might hit.

Jecain7
01-21-2019, 12:05 PM
One of our CP's came in during ground school and asked everyone if they had their app in at mainline. Half the class did, half didn't. I was riding the jumpseat to LGA before I was even at PSA and the captain and FO told me to get it filled out as soon as I got my ATP...So here I sit updating it once a week or so...