Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Interview

Skyguy85
10-04-2018, 02:13 PM
Anyone have suggestions for the interview? I am civilian RTP and am interviewing for my FO position before I do my fixedwing ratings. The recruiter was saying I should expect questions about airplanes specifically and IFR procedures and regulations.

My concern is how in-depth it will be. Recruiter made it seem it will be very in-depth.

rdavid2792
10-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Hey Skyguy85

I’m in the same exact shoes you are. Also RTP. I just had an “interview prep” a couple of days ago. This was an online interview via Montage (like Skype). I spoke with a CRJ Captain out of Salt Lake City and he gave me the rundown on what to study for and the interview process in detail. I would contact your recruiter and ask for this interview prep if possible. It was a huge help.

Also, my recruiter suggested two books to help get ready. I ordered them from Amazon and they are absolutely invaluable as they literally cover everything to get ready for the interview. These books are: “The Turbine Pilot’s Flight Manual” and also “Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot”. You’re knowledge at the interview is expected to be at the First Officer level even if you have zero fixed wing time (like me).

Also aviationinterviews.com has great info but they do require a membership fee. Absolutely well worth it. Tons of great info along with a huge database of questions etc.

I’m doing my “for real interview” in a couple of weeks also online via Montage video interview.

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

rdavid2792
10-04-2018, 02:52 PM
And definitely study FAR part 91.175. Big emphasis on that. I’ve heard about people being asked to write/draw it out from memory at interviews. Specifically paragraph (c).

Somebody more knowledgeable please clarify?

Flying Spike
10-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Alternate requirements
Jepps
Airport Markings
Describe your most complex type electrical/hydraulic systems
CRM
Usual HR verbiage...TMAATW
Relax, be yourself, confident but not cocky

Skyguy85
10-05-2018, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the details. I was told I have to do my for-real interview in person but maybe I can ask to do it video chat instead.

I have my interview prep scheduled and am glad to hear it helps. Once I have done it I am assuming they will help me see what’s important for me to study based on what I already know. I just felt like being helicopter only they are expecting me to learn airplane stuff before I’ve done my airplane transition training to get the RTP funds. Am I misreading the situation?

My recruiter also suggested those two books and am planning on getting them. Good luck with your actual interview.

Hey Skyguy85

I’m in the same exact shoes you are. Also RTP. I just had an “interview prep” a couple of days ago. This was an online interview via Montage (like Skype). I spoke with a CRJ Captain out of Salt Lake City and he gave me the rundown on what to study for and the interview process in detail. I would contact your recruiter and ask for this interview prep if possible. It was a huge help.

Also, my recruiter suggested two books to help get ready. I ordered them from Amazon and they are absolutely invaluable as they literally cover everything to get ready for the interview. These books are: “The Turbine Pilot’s Flight Manual” and also “Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot”. You’re knowledge at the interview is expected to be at the First Officer level even if you have zero fixed wing time (like me).

Also aviationinterviews.com has great info but they do require a membership fee. Absolutely well worth it. Tons of great info along with a huge database of questions etc.

I’m doing my “for real interview” in a couple of weeks also online via Montage video interview.

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

Skyguy85
10-05-2018, 12:44 AM
Draw it? Like draw a runway as you would see it on an approach? And writing 91.175 in its entirety sounds rediculous.

And definitely study FAR part 91.175. Big emphasis on that. I’ve heard about people being asked to write/draw it out from memory at interviews. Specifically paragraph (c).

Somebody more knowledgeable please clarify?

Skyguy85
10-05-2018, 12:47 AM
What you are suggesting is rational. I have never used Jeppeson charts so that will be weird but I can probably figure that out... “TMAATW” though I have no clue. Lol

Alternate requirements
Jepps
Airport Markings
Describe your most complex type electrical/hydraulic systems
CRM
Usual HR verbiage...TMAATW
Relax, be yourself, confident but not cocky

Flying Spike
10-05-2018, 01:29 AM
What you are suggesting is rational. I have never used Jeppeson charts so that will be weird but I can probably figure that out... “TMAATW” though I have no clue. Lol

Sorry mate, Tell Me About A Time When :
Had to deal with conflict
Broke the rules
Had an incident etc. etc.

rdavid2792
10-05-2018, 04:10 AM
Draw it? Like draw a runway as you would see it on an approach? And writing 91.175 in its entirety sounds rediculous.

I believe they want you to specifically memorize 197.175 (c). What you need to see before you start a descent below MDA. Not sure about the “drawing” part but I’ve seen it referred to in previous threads about interviews.

Somebody please clarify?

I believe this stems from an accident a few years ago where the flight crew identified the approach lighting only without the runway environment in sight. They began a descent from MDA too early and crashed into a low hill just before the runway.

Again, somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.

rdavid2792
10-05-2018, 04:19 AM
I believe once you pass the interview and get a job offer, the RTP funds will be paid once you start fixed wing flight training. My understanding is there should be zero up front or out of pocket unless you’re training goes over 20K. Not sure if they pay you or if they pay the school directly.

I got lucky as there is a SkyWest partner flight school 15 minutes from my house so no housing costs for me.

Flight school I’ll be using here is $20,013 for the whole program.

rabbo
10-05-2018, 05:54 AM
I believe once you pass the interview and get a job offer, the RTP funds will be paid once you start fixed wing flight training. My understanding is there should be zero up front or out of pocket unless you’re training goes over 20K. Not sure if they pay you or if they pay the school directly.

I got lucky as there is a SkyWest partner flight school 15 minutes from my house so no housing costs for me.

I was just browsing that school myself. Doesn’t that 20,013 only get you your ratings over 94 hrs, most of which isn’t PIC? Then you’d be on the hook yourself to complete the remaining timebuilding out of pocket? If I am reading that wrong please let me know because 20k would be an awesome deal. The cheapest I have gotten it down to in my research is about 22k at a local flying club, but that doesn’t include the MEL add on.

Skyguy85
10-05-2018, 09:25 AM
Ya that’s super cheap. Does that include MEL? What are you plans to get the remaining time to 250pic airplane?

rdavid2792
10-05-2018, 05:52 PM
I’m going off this website. AMS in Milton, FL. A SkyWest partner school. It looks like it covers everything? Please tell me it does...

SkyWest Rotor Transition Program at AMS Flight School (http://amsflightschool.com/skywest-rotor-transition.html)

Skyguy85
10-05-2018, 06:19 PM
You need 250pic airplane. There is no way the $20,000 covers all that. If you have 0 airplane time it costs about $45,000 total. What Skywest currently offers is not even half. If they start giving the $40k that’s in the new TA it will help cover almost all.

I’m going off this website. AMS in Milton, FL. A SkyWest partner school. It looks like it covers everything? Please tell me it does...

SkyWest Rotor Transition Program at AMS Flight School (http://amsflightschool.com/skywest-rotor-transition.html)

rdavid2792
10-05-2018, 06:31 PM
Well this is definitely a showstopper for me. No way can I come up with 25K+ for time building.

I was under the impression the sign on bonus covered everything. I had a few coworkers go to PSA RTP and train at SkyWarrior in Pensacola. All of them said bonus covered everything. They’re all now flying the line at PSA.

Guess I better find out soon.

ImPilot I Fly
10-05-2018, 08:25 PM
As it pertains to 91.175 make sure you know the definition of "in flight visibility". That's the key.

SpartanFlyer
10-05-2018, 09:10 PM
Anyone have suggestions for the interview? I am civilian RTP and am interviewing for my FO position before I do my fixedwing ratings. The recruiter was saying I should expect questions about airplanes specifically and IFR procedures and regulations.

My concern is how in-depth it will be. Recruiter made it seem it will be very in-depth.

Just relax and enjoy the interview process. They really want to hire you.

HR was laid back. Why SkyWest, TMAAT stuff blah blah.... stand out from other applicants. Everyone looks pretty much the same on paper but what are the things about you that will put you ahead of other applicants.

My tech interview was about jet aerodynamics, systems of a multi-engine aircraft (they let me pick but be ready to talk about any of them), basics of a jet engine, 91.175(c), Jepp charts, METAR & TAF. Alternate mins (123 rule). Jet aerodynamics was tough to explain but I was told that its one of the areas were applicants struggle the most.

Sit back, relax & enjoy the flight!

Skyguy85
10-05-2018, 10:07 PM
Every company has a different program. If your buddies are military they used VA benefits to cover the rest of the costs. Transstate offers 38k. GoJet offers 50k. Just do your research and find what works for you. Keep in mind the more money you take the more time you have to give to that company. Also the RTP funds at a lot of the companies are the bonuses that help make the pay “60,000 first officer pay”. So you’ll be making pretty low wages.

Short term pain, long term gain.

Well this is definitely a showstopper for me. No way can I come up with 25K+ for time building.

I was under the impression the sign on bonus covered everything. I had a few coworkers go to PSA RTP and train at SkyWarrior in Pensacola. All of them said bonus covered everything. They’re all now flying the line at PSA.

rabbo
10-06-2018, 06:07 AM

I am looking at using a flying club to get mine in for much, much cheaper than the 40kish I was quoted from some of those schools. I found a club with a Cessna 152 for 80/hr wet and another that has a 172 for about 110 an hour wet. You can cut the costs even further if you can find someone to split the time with (If flying IFR both the safety pilot and the pilot flying can log PIC).

Some people on Rotary to Airlines Group have used Skywarrior in Pensacola and gotten through pretty inexpensively. That 172 rate will basically be halved once you have your ratings since they’ll set you up with a partner for timebuilding.

https://www.skywarriorinc.com/pricing-breakdown

aegis1
10-06-2018, 07:25 PM
I’m thinking SkyWarrior is doing the 2 pilots logging PIC time also.

Skyguy85
10-06-2018, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I just bought 2 books to help me study the airplane stuff that I don’t know. Hope to join the ranks soon!

Just relax and enjoy the interview process. They really want to hire you.

HR was laid back. Why SkyWest, TMAAT stuff blah blah.... stand out from other applicants. Everyone looks pretty much the same on paper but what are the things about you that will put you ahead of other applicants.

My tech interview was about jet aerodynamics, systems of a multi-engine aircraft (they let me pick but be ready to talk about any of them), basics of a jet engine, 91.175(c), Jepp charts, METAR & TAF. Alternate mins (123 rule). Jet aerodynamics was tough to explain but I was told that its one of the areas were applicants struggle the most.

Sit back, relax & enjoy the flight!

rabbo
10-18-2018, 07:44 AM
Skyguy/rdavid have you interviewed yet? I am curious how it went for you as I'm currently arranging interviews. I haven't applied to SkyWest but with the new TA passing I think I might.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1