Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : A220

ChopNDrop
10-05-2018, 03:21 PM
What are your thoughts on DAL's A220? Do you think it will compete with future routes that could have been YX's?

4V14T0R
10-05-2018, 03:51 PM
What are your thoughts on DAL's A220? Do you think it will compete with future routes that could have been YX's?

Yes, but we don’t “own” any routes. We fly what’s given to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiveAndDrive
10-05-2018, 04:14 PM
Eventually, sure. And I’m okay if flying is absorbed by mainline. More jobs for us. But initially the A220 is to replace/supplement the MD80/717 fleet.

Random Task
10-05-2018, 06:56 PM
I've been told the C series is supposed to take the LGA-IAH/DFW routes.

ChopNDrop
10-06-2018, 02:48 AM
Yes, but we don’t “own” any routes. We fly what’s given to us.

... never said we did

4V14T0R
10-06-2018, 02:59 AM
... never said we did

Well your phraseology did suggest possession or ownership of you will.

atpcliff
10-06-2018, 03:40 AM
According to DAL, the Bombardier C was to be replacing larger than 50 seat RJs, so those Larger RJs could be replacing 50 seat RJs, thus upgauging the fleet.

It does, however, have a VERY long range, so it could do many flights that were impossible on any RJ (or MD-88/MD-90/B-717), and even some small Airbuses and the Boeing 737, I believe. An example that Bombardier used, was a typical load nonstop from London City airport to Montreal using the smaller CS-100.

ChopNDrop
10-06-2018, 06:02 AM
Well your phraseology did suggest possession or ownership of you will.

I apologize. What I meant, specifically, is what are the groups thoughts on this a/c (and possible E2 mainline flying, assuming no budging of scope) reducing the need, and essentially the growth of the company as the a220 becomes more prevalent. Of course, the a/c has to prove to be profitable, along with a list of other "what if's" for that to happen... I just worry about the coincidental timing of this a/c and our "tentative" growth with the 100-200 potential E170s

- and before it is brought up, I know that management has gone back and forth to individuals within the group on what these new Ejets are for.. what my group was told is that these a/c are for growth. Jury is still out

ChopNDrop
10-06-2018, 06:05 AM
According to DAL, the Bombardier C was to be replacing larger than 50 seat RJs, so those Larger RJs could be replacing 50 seat RJs, thus upgauging the fleet.

It does, however, have a VERY long range, so it could do many flights that were impossible on any RJ (or MD-88/MD-90/B-717), and even some small Airbuses and the Boeing 737, I believe. An example that Bombardier used, was a typical load nonstop from London City airport to Montreal using the smaller CS-100.

That would make sense, considering the number of travelers that continues to get larger with this economy. Good point!

Random Task
10-06-2018, 01:03 PM
I apologize. What I meant, specifically, is what are the groups thoughts on this a/c (and possible E2 mainline flying, assuming no budging of scope) reducing the need, and essentially the growth of the company as the a220 becomes more prevalent. Of course, the a/c has to prove to be profitable, along with a list of other "what if's" for that to happen... I just worry about the coincidental timing of this a/c and our "tentative" growth with the 100-200 potential E170s

- and before it is brought up, I know that management has gone back and forth to individuals within the group on what these new Ejets are for.. what my group was told is that these a/c are for growth. Jury is still out

I wouldn't worry about anything. Delta ordered these airplanes years ago, there's no surprise they were coming.

As for our airplanes - keep in mind we still haven't publicly announced that we've ordered anything at all. The big announcement in July was for a letter of intent to order 100 airplanes. Until they are ordered that means absolutely nothing.

Otterbox
10-06-2018, 01:07 PM

DALs spectacular pricing on the CS-100 was contingent upon using it on routes that were less than 1000 miles... allegedly.

ChopNDrop
10-07-2018, 07:17 AM
DALs spectacular pricing on the CS-100 was contingent upon using it on routes that were less than 1000 miles... allegedly.

interesting..

Random Task
10-07-2018, 07:29 AM

Can you cite that claim?

Otterbox
10-07-2018, 07:39 AM
Can you cite that claim?

There’s some reporting on the topic

https://leehamnews.com/2017/05/25/bombardier-delta-deal-can-put-boeing-business-company-claims/

amcnd
10-07-2018, 11:47 AM
“Parenthetically, the Delta testimony revealed that its transaction with BBD priced the CS100 as a 1,000-mile airplane. Should Delta begin using the aircraft on longer routes, additional monies will be paid to Bombardier. The CS100 has a range of more than 2,900nm.”

Who wrote this. That is the dumbest claim thinking Delta will have to pay a surcharge if they fly it over 1000 miles.. Im sure Delta is set up on autopay using a Delta skymiles card also. Atleast they will earn points....

sailingfun
10-07-2018, 12:46 PM
Eventually, sure. And I’m okay if flying is absorbed by mainline. More jobs for us. But initially the A220 is to replace/supplement the MD80/717 fleet.

There are no current plans to retire 717’s. Replacement airframes for the MD88/90 are the 737-900 and A321. The A220 is planned mostly to replace larger RJ flying and some nitch long haul flying. The larger RJ’s freed up will trickle down allowing Delta to park 50 seaters.
Delta will owe a very small penalty if they average over 1000 miles per leg.

Tpinks
10-07-2018, 12:58 PM
“Parenthetically, the Delta testimony revealed that its transaction with BBD priced the CS100 as a 1,000-mile airplane. Should Delta begin using the aircraft on longer routes, additional monies will be paid to Bombardier. The CS100 has a range of more than 2,900nm.”

Who wrote this. That is the dumbest claim thinking Delta will have to pay a surcharge if they fly it over 1000 miles.. Im sure Delta is set up on autopay using a Delta skymiles card also. Atleast they will earn points....
Actually Delta will have to pay. If they wouldn’t pay, then Boeing could take this back to court for dumping. That’s why this case was thrown out of court to begin with as they were able to justify the price they paid.

If Skywest or Republic (assuming future orders) decide to make any 175SC into a 76 seat jet, they too will have to pay Embraer to recertify the planes into the 76 seat configuration.

This isn’t anything new either. Mainline aircraft have always had more options and configurations, including derating options, available compared to Regional aircraft.

Delta’s 1000nm range is an average from what I gather, not a hard limit unlike the seating in the 175SC.

Mesabah
10-07-2018, 01:39 PM
There are no current plans to retire 717’s. Replacement airframes for the MD88/90 are the 737-900 and A321. The A220 is planned mostly to replace larger RJ flying and some nitch long haul flying. The larger RJ’s freed up will trickle down allowing Delta to park 50 seaters.
Delta will owe a very small penalty if they average over 1000 miles per leg.
I doubt Delta will have to pay anything at all. As soon as Airbus takes full control, and with the new NAFTA agreement, there is really no penalty unless Airbus decided to enforce it on Delta, which seems unlikely. I would still wager the A220 is a growth aircraft, not an RJ replacement.

Taco Cat
10-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Dear Eight Pound, Six Ounce, Newborn Baby Jesus, don’t even know a word yet, just a little infant, so cuddly, but still omnipotent... Please drive a wooden stake into the heart of “Regional Jet Flying” and restore that to mainline.... Amen
My daily prayer...