Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : FAA Reauthorization Bill

queue
10-06-2018, 11:44 AM
President Trump Just Signed a Law That Radically Changes Life for Airline Passengers, Flight Attendants, and Airlines (Almost Nobody Even Noticed) (https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/president-trump-just-signed-a-law-that-radically-changes-life-for-airline-passengers-flight-attendants-airlines-almost-nobody-even-noticed.html)

In the middle of the Supreme Court fight, the White House held a Friday afternoon signing ceremony for this giant, 1,200-page new law.

LNL76
10-06-2018, 12:14 PM
YAY! It's about time FAs get the same rest as pilots! :)

Aero1900
10-06-2018, 02:25 PM
The bill passed and Trump signed it.

I can't find any article that says if the provision to study single pilot airliners made it into the final version of the bill. Does anyone know?

ALPA fought the provision very publicly but now I can't figure out if it made it in.

Swakid8
10-06-2018, 03:06 PM
The bill passed and Trump signed it.

I can't find any article that says if the provision to study single pilot airliners made it into the final version of the bill. Does anyone know?

ALPA fought the provision very publicly but now I can't figure out if it made it in.

No it didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hilltopflyer
10-06-2018, 05:00 PM
They pulled it out of the bill I think. Major thing is flight attendants have more rest requirements.

Ducttape
10-06-2018, 05:13 PM
This is a reason why we have a PAC.

Politics is dirty and we need people to get dirty on behalf of us.

SoFloFlyer
10-06-2018, 05:35 PM
This is a reason why we have a PAC.

Politics is dirty and we need people to get dirty on behalf of us.

Agreed!!!!!

TransWorld
10-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Looks like a bunch of good stuff the President signed. Probably not perfect, but a bunch of good things.

schwa
10-06-2018, 06:01 PM
Terrifying government overreach.

Moonwolf
10-06-2018, 10:09 PM
Terrifying government overreach.

Oh rly? Banning e cigs... Sorry if that ruffles your feathers freedom eagle.

EhV8R
10-07-2018, 12:54 AM
How do I apply to work at the office of spaceports?

Seems like it'd be right up my alley.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Andrew_VT
10-07-2018, 05:12 AM
Not everything is about who the president is.

This bill is from Congress, which means it's from lobbyists. I doubt a blue team president would have vetoed it.

EMBFlyer
10-07-2018, 06:07 AM
I thought there was also a piece in there at O2 masks won't be required over FL250 if one pilot leaves the cockpit. I think it takes the restriction to 410.

OOfff
10-07-2018, 06:13 AM
I thought there was also a piece in there at O2 masks won't be required over FL250 if one pilot leaves the cockpit. I think it takes the restriction to 410.

The only time oxygen masks are mentioned is in a command to study passenger mask effectiveness. The full text is available at Congress.gov

Al Czervik
10-07-2018, 06:36 AM
Not everything is about who the president is.

Some aren’t bright enough to see that.

at6d
10-07-2018, 07:59 AM
Interesting that the Hurricane Florence relief authorization ($1.68 Billion) was in the FAA bill.

rickair7777
10-07-2018, 08:17 AM
Interesting that the Hurricane Florence relief authorization ($1.68 Billion) was in the FAA bill.

While they often get catchy names, to my knowledge no bill is actually legally required to be aligned with any one topic so they can (and usually are) full of all kinds of stuff. Could be pork, or in the case of hurricane relief it was probably just convenient to attach it to a bill which was going to vote anyway, and expected to pass (rather than doing a separate vote).

The NDAA is pretty much sure to be passed each year (eventually) so it's a favorite for pork projects.

4runner
10-07-2018, 11:24 AM
Why TF are they banning e cigs? Is that from carry on? Maybe folks will go back to “analog” cigarettes again.

hilltopflyer
10-07-2018, 11:32 AM
Why TF are they banning e cigs? Is that from carry on? Maybe folks will go back to “analog” cigarettes again.

From smoking them.

TransWorld
10-07-2018, 12:40 PM
The NDAA is pretty much sure to be passed each year (eventually) so it's a favorite for pork projects.

Agreed. But I have to laugh. Hurricane relief is hardly pork barrel projects.;)

tomgoodman
10-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Hurricane relief is hardly pork barrel projects.;)

It’s not supposed to be, but Congressional pastry chefs can stuff pork into an apple strudel. :rolleyes:

RhinoBallAuto
10-07-2018, 01:37 PM
it was probably just convenient to attach it to a bill which was going to vote anyway, and expected to pass (rather than doing a separate vote).

^This

worked on the Hill for years... And it is 100% the case. Must pass legislation gets all sorts of riders - legit stuff and pork alike.

TransWorld
10-07-2018, 03:32 PM
It’s not supposed to be, but Congressional pastry chefs can stuff pork into an apple strudel. :rolleyes:

I agree. Though I sometimes get a vision of the other end of a human anatomy. Oh, that is what they do to us, after the pork is stuffed into an apple strudel.

jDSTJD
10-08-2018, 05:51 AM
President Trump Just Signed a Law That Radically Changes Life for Airline Passengers, Flight Attendants, and Airlines (Almost Nobody Even Noticed) (https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/president-trump-just-signed-a-law-that-radically-changes-life-for-airline-passengers-flight-attendants-airlines-almost-nobody-even-noticed.html)

In the middle of the Supreme Court fight, the White House held a Friday afternoon signing ceremony for this giant, 1,200-page new law.

Most points seem reasonable. Although it’s possible many of the issues being addressed may have worked themselves out through market activity over time and the legislation wouldn’t have been necessary.

rickair7777
10-08-2018, 06:29 AM
Hurricane relief is hardly pork barrel projects.;)

That's what I said.

flensr
10-08-2018, 10:05 AM

Yea. Congress is too hyper partisan and chickens&%t to pass a relief bill on its own merits so they have to attach it as a rider to something else that is too big to get vetoed. If the relief bill had to go through on its own, all the corruption and graft and political pandering would get noticed and argued over while the actual "relief" parts got delayed forever. Pathetic.

flensr
10-08-2018, 10:09 AM
Agreed. But I have to laugh. Hurricane relief is hardly pork barrel projects.;)

The congressmen work very hard to make sure that money funnels through their districts and to the pockets of their financial backers. If they wrote, debated, and voted on the relief bill by itself, it would be smaller, get the relief to the people who need it faster, but those congressmen who make $250k/year salary wouldn't be able to build their net worth to several million bucks.

It's pretty simple. They'll add a line specifying $50 million to rebuild a road through a specific area where the only contractor just happens to be the guy who donated a million bucks to the congresscritter's re-election campaign, or who has a non-profit foundation that hires his spouse as a "consultant", or... That's how they get rich sitting in congress and will do anything to get re-elected, and will do anything to keep bills like this from being openly debated and passed on their own.

ReadyRsv
10-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Most points seem reasonable. Although it’s possible many of the issues being addressed may have worked themselves out through market activity over time and the legislation wouldn’t have been necessary.

Lol. We’ve had flight attendants for 80 friggin years. Gmafb

jDSTJD
10-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Oh I wasn’t referring to the part regarding flight attendants. I’m talking about the other parts relating to what appear to be responses to recent incidents that have occurred on flights that while problematic probably would have been rectified directly by the airlines when passengers opt to give their business to other companies with better policies and practices. (By the way, what does “gmafb” mean?)

RhinoBallAuto
10-09-2018, 12:27 PM
. (By the way, what does “gmafb” mean?)

http://bfy.tw/1Hdy

jDSTJD
10-09-2018, 12:35 PM
http://bfy.tw/1Hdy

Thanks. ........

TransWorld
10-09-2018, 04:49 PM

I know some FAs that I would swear are older than age 80. Oh, you weren’t talking about that. . .nevermind.

rickair7777
10-09-2018, 05:26 PM
I know some FAs that I would swear are older than age 80. Oh, you weren’t talking about that. . .nevermind.

You thought you were joking...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/bette-nash-oldest-flight-attendant/index.html

https://onemileatatime.com/oldest-flight-attendant-passes-away/

IIRC the gent had to take a LOA... to fight in WWII.

FLYMIA
10-11-2018, 06:07 AM
Does anyone know when this will actually be in effect?

MudhammedCJ
10-12-2018, 06:48 AM
So the most important part was removed? Stopping further flag of convenience schemes?

N10DJ
10-12-2018, 07:13 AM
YAY! It's about time FAs get the same rest as pilots! :)

So does this mean we will stop playing FA roulette all trip and be paired up with our FA’s again for a 2-3-4 day trip? Half the time I get off flights and still have no clue who the FA’s working in the back are.

mainlineAF
10-12-2018, 12:49 PM
So does this mean we will stop playing FA roulette all trip and be paired up with our FA’s again for a 2-3-4 day trip? Half the time I get off flights and still have no clue who the FA’s working in the back are.

Doubt it bc they can have contractually longer duty days at most airlines.

rickair7777
10-13-2018, 07:53 AM
I don't think FA's need the same limits as pilots, their safety duties are much simpler. If they want it for their beauty rest, then can negotiate in their contract... but I bet most don't, I know many that like transcon turns. Home at night and block about 11 hours. I'd do them if I could.

CBreezy
10-14-2018, 02:32 PM
I don't think FA's need the same limits as pilots, their safety duties are much simpler. If they want it for their beauty rest, then can negotiate in their contract... but I bet most don't, I know many that like transcon turns. Home at night and block about 11 hours. I'd do them if I could.

First, fatigue is a major player in decision making. The FA primary role is safety as the FAA has affirmed over and over. Since they have chosen to define them in such a way, they should not get less than 8 hours behind the door. An 8 hour reduced rest can result in as little as 6 hours of time behind the door with as little as 4 hours of sleep. No way is that safe.

There are also negative implications of customer service as well. Everyone supports setting standards for set size but is okay with a chronically fatigued flight attendant.