Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Nov trips

Arado 234
10-06-2018, 07:22 PM
I guess group 1 and 2 have the biggest changes in trips/sequences.

Thoughts? Better? Worse?

PRS Guitars
10-06-2018, 08:06 PM
I was waiting to see when this thread would pop up. I think it depends on base and equipment. A few 320 LAX Hawaii milk run red eyes survived and now pay 15:45. But quite a few are now 4 dayís along the lines of 1. LAX PHX DFW LAS 2. LAS LAX HNL. Sit 25 hours red eye back to LAX for 21:00 pay on day 3/4.

4 dayís are up, only a few 5 dayís, all over thanksgiving, Monday to Friday.

Canít tell about commutability until I can easily sort with PBS, my gut feeling is commutability will suffer at LAX.

nAAtive
10-06-2018, 09:54 PM
We are now paid for days away from work. Huge win.

mainlineAF
10-07-2018, 03:40 AM
The pairings are so much better itís not even debatable.

OVBIII
10-07-2018, 05:50 AM
I am sure I am staring right at the link on aapilots, I can't seem to find the actual trips for Nov. All I can see is the little charts and graphs link. Where should I look? thanks.

PRS Guitars
10-07-2018, 06:04 AM
I am sure I am staring right at the link on aapilots, I can't seem to find the actual trips for Nov. All I can see is the little charts and graphs link. Where should I look? thanks.

Aapilots
Aa scheduling
PBS and CQT bid packages (bottom left)
View current/archive pbs bid packages
Select your base for November

Itís a freaking eye chart and difficult to read, which is why I usually donít even bother,but I was curious about the changes.

PRS Guitars
10-07-2018, 06:12 AM
The pairings are so much better itís not even debatable.

I agree on balance we are better off, especially jr guys.

With that said, there seems to be a reduction of efficient 3 dayís in LAX. Used to be quite a few commutable 17 to 18 hour 3 days. Seems down, but I wonít know for sure until I can sort with PBS. Iím not nearly motivated enough to actually to manually count pairings with the bid package.

Iím mid seniority and was able to average 6.3 hours per day last month through some horse trading, I think that will be slightly tougher in November though not impossible.

EMBFlyer
10-07-2018, 06:13 AM
You can also check the box at the top of that page mentioned above and have the bid package emailed to you every month. It comes to you're AA email.

I'll save you the joke. "Uh...we have e-mail? Huh...huh...huh."

mainlineAF
10-07-2018, 06:15 AM
I agree on balance we are better off, especially jr guys.

With that said, there seems to be a reduction of efficient 3 dayís in LAX. Used to be quite a few commutable 17 to 18 hour 3 days. Seems down, but I wonít know for sure until I can sort with PBS. Iím not nearly motivated enough to actually to manually count pairings with the bid package.

Iím mid seniority and was able to average 6.3 hours per day last month through some horse trading, I think that will be slightly tougher in November though not impossible.

I see what youíre saying but now thereís no 11 hour 3 days either.

Totally worth any sort of trade off in efficiency( if there even is one), in my opinion.

OVBIII
10-07-2018, 06:18 AM
Aapilots
Aa scheduling
PBS and CQT bid packages (bottom left)
View current/archive pbs bid packages
Select your base for November

Itís a freaking eye chart and difficult to read, which is why I usually donít even bother,but I was curious about the changes.

Thanks PRS!

viper548
10-07-2018, 06:57 AM
The all nighter turns out of DFW that are posted or are in open time every single day now pay 10:30. I bet they go really senior now. They currently pay 5:30-6:50.

drinksonme
10-07-2018, 09:31 AM
We are now paid for days away from work. Huge win.

And only a few decades late

sherpster
10-07-2018, 11:28 AM
I did 6 slash trip red eyes in August. I traded into them to improve my 90 hr/10 days off/all weekends line. I got paid @62hrs. I looked and those 3 day trips are still there but now pay 15:45. 32hrs difference in pay. ACD is a no brainer. I also noticed some nice 4 and 5 day trips now. Commuters will take those all day. Alas, people are still complaining over at the other boards which makes me wonder what the heck is wrong with certain people.

Andrew_VT
10-07-2018, 11:48 AM
Alas, people are still complaining over at the other boards which makes me wonder what the heck is wrong with certain people.

What's wrong with them is that they moved to base in order to spend as few nights away from their own beds as possible. Now that's harder to do.

nAAtive
10-07-2018, 11:57 AM
What's wrong with them is that they moved to base in order to spend as few nights away from their own beds as possible. Now that's harder to do.

I assume youíre referring to turns? DFW still has them. We will see the breakdown when they publish it.

mainlineAF
10-07-2018, 12:00 PM

Moving to base is a choice! [emoji23][emoji23]

RhinoBallAuto
10-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Moving to base is a choice! [emoji23][emoji23]

I see what you did there

Name User
10-07-2018, 12:22 PM

Most people tend to move to base so they don't have to commute. If you want nights at home you're in the wrong profession...

Andrew_VT
10-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Most people tend to move to base so they don't have to commute. If you want nights at home you're in the wrong profession...

Preferring fewer nights away ≠ Expecting no nights away

I assume youíre referring to turns? DFW still has them. We will see the breakdown when they publish it.

I'm not only referring to turns. Also 2-days vs. 3-days; 3-days vs. 4-days.

Overall it adds up to 'average pairing length'. This is obviously going to be going up as a side effect of the new rig. It's better for commuters, less so for those living close.

That explains "what the heck is wrong with some people".

mainlineAF
10-07-2018, 01:40 PM
Preferring fewer nights away ≠ Expecting no nights away

I'm not only referring to turns. Also 2-days vs. 3-days; 3-days vs. 4-days.

Overall it adds up to 'average pairing length'. This is obviously going to be going up as a side effect of the new rig. It's better for commuters, less so for those living close.

That explains "what the heck is wrong with some people".

Would you prefer our previous industry-lagging 11 hour 3 days and 17 hour 4 days?

Andrew_VT
10-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Would you prefer our previous industry-lagging 11 hour 3 days and 17 hour 4 days?

If you're asking if it's better with the rig than without, then of course it is!

The company says it's worth what, $120mil? We traded away our scheduling grivences and green Christmas for it.

I might have liked that money to go into a lower long-rig (1/3.0 maybe?). But mostly I'd like it if the president would have consulted somebody, anybody else first.

Frip
10-07-2018, 05:30 PM

The all too common answer is "Yes... So long as it is you flyng them and not me..."

Arado 234
10-08-2018, 06:31 AM
The all too common answer is "Yes... So long as it is you flyng them and not me..."

May I add the classic "we've always done it this way, etc."? :D

Any G3 driver out here that noticed a change in sequences?