Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : OMNI app

Starchkr
10-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Hey all,

I submitted an app on OMNIís website a few days back. It was a straight forward app. I got the TBNT email this morning. I donít want to presume that Iím qualified but I have to say I was a bit disappointed, but mostly Iím interested in finding out what might have made me less competitive.

10000 Total time
7000 Jet
4000 Jet PIC mostly 135 some part 91
Some international

No degree

goinaround
10-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Possibly the degree. However, all the Omni chatter lives over in the charter section. Omni does not fly cargo.

Actually....in your cover letter, did you indicate a desire to be an international cargo pilot? :D

Riverside
10-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Hey all,

I submitted an app on OMNIís website a few days back. It was a straight forward app. I got the TBNT email this morning. I donít want to presume that Iím qualified but I have to say I was a bit disappointed, but mostly Iím interested in finding out what might have made me less competitive.

10000 Total time
7000 Jet
4000 Jet PIC mostly 135 some part 91
Some international

No degree

ATSG might think you're too qualified.

Starchkr
10-10-2018, 11:58 AM
Possibly the degree. However, all the Omni chatter lives over in the charter section. Omni does not fly cargo.

Actually....in your cover letter, did you indicate a desire to be an international cargo pilot? :D

Lol, no I did not but youíre right I definitely posted this question in the wrong section.

Starchkr
10-10-2018, 12:00 PM
ATSG might think you're too qualified.

I have a hard time believing they would discriminate on that basis but if thatís the case [email protected]&#!

Starchkr
10-10-2018, 12:04 PM
Reposting in an OMNI thread

DeadStick
10-11-2018, 01:51 AM
Reposting in an OMNI thread
Sounds like youíve done zero research on the company and yet canít figure out why theyíre not interested in you. You keep calling it ďOMNIĒ as if itís an acronym for something...

160to4
10-11-2018, 06:14 AM
Starchkr,

Received the same email two days after applying.

10000 TT
9000 Turbine
3000 PIC
Current on 777

No degree either!

Starchkr
10-11-2018, 08:13 AM
Sounds like youíve done zero research on the company and yet canít figure out why theyíre not interested in you. You keep calling it ďOMNIĒ as if itís an acronym for something...

Omni Air International? I thought using ďOMNIĒ would suffice for the forums. I suppose the capital letters were a bit much. Posting in cargo was a mistake, I admit that, but according to their website they fly passenger and cargo configured aircraft. I read through most of what I could find on their website and on the forums here. Iíd like to know more. I figured the only way to find out was to apply. Iíve reached out to my contacts but the only one who knows anyone who has flown at ďOmni Air InternationalĒ is in class with them at another airline. They recommended going elsewhere now that ATSG is involved.

4runner
10-11-2018, 07:57 PM
There is literally no indication on the old or new website that indicates that OAI has or currently operates cargo aircraft. Also, the profile on ALPC indicates that they are 121 supplemental.

ocskyguy
10-11-2018, 08:47 PM
There is literally no indication on the old or new website that indicates that OAI has or currently operates cargo aircraft. Also, the profile on ALPC indicates that they are 121 supplemental.

You would be correct. On the surface. However, there is a very transparent reason that ATSG purchased Omni. DHL has a major buy of 777F aircraft placed with Boeing. Announced at the Farnborough Air Show in July. ATSG is already a DHL provider and obviously wants a piece of that pie. Given deep enough pockets, it is a faster track to purchase a certificate with 777s on it than to add a new aircraft type to your operating certificate on either ABX or ATI.

And, FYI, supplemental certificate rules apply to all cargo airlines as well.

Starchkr
10-11-2018, 09:12 PM

You know what? Youíre right. I looked more carefully. When you click on fleet and the aircraft pops up there are bullets or dots you can hover over or click on and more info comes up. The ďCargoĒ one brings up a top down view of the aircraft profile with cans.

I used to load airplanes for UPS and it reminded me of the cans we used to load in the main cabin. We loaded the bellies by hand(box by box), at least in the airplanes I loaded. So, without really carefully looking at it I imagined it being similar to the airplanes I used to load. I thought that they were showing an airplane that was fully configured for cargo.

I can admit when Iím wrong. Itís been a whirlwind for me getting apps out since I got laid off recently(totally unexpected btw). Iíve had an interview and an offer but nothing yet that will pay what I was making or near what I was making. Honestly, I didnít even know Omni existed more than a couple of weeks ago and Iíve been cramming to get up to speed with all of the 121 operators other than majors and regionals(Iím familiar with most of those). I think when I read that Omni was acquired by ATSG my brain linked them in with the other cargo operators too and when I started this thread, well...I screwed it up.

So, no I donít know much about Omni and Iíd love to know more because it sounds like it could be a good job. Iíve done similar schedules in the 135 world and I used to always think that if I was going to be out flying and away from home anyway I might as well be flying around the world seeing new places.

I do think my background starting with flying night cargo in old twins without autopilots at night, to flying charter and Part 91 in jets with lots of PIC, lots of dealing with passengers, and a decent amount of international/Class II would be a good start for a right seater in a 76 for an operation like Omni. It would still be a challenge and Iíd be up for it, in fact Iíd revel in that.

I still have 20 good years to put into a 121 job if I can find one. Iím working on that, and as youíve pointed out, Iím going to have to work harder. Iíll try again armed with more info next time.

Starchkr
10-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Didnít mean to write a novel. Lol

Cheers!

Checkers21
10-11-2018, 10:00 PM
You know what? Youíre right. I looked more carefully. When you click on fleet and the aircraft pops up there are bullets or dots you can hover over or click on and more info comes up. The ďCargoĒ one brings up a top down view of the aircraft profile with cans.

I used to load airplanes for UPS and it reminded me of the cans we used to load in the main cabin. We loaded the bellies by hand(box by box), at least in the airplanes I loaded. So, without really carefully looking at it I imagined it being similar to the airplanes I used to load. I thought that they were showing an airplane that was fully configured for cargo.

I can admit when Iím wrong. Itís been a whirlwind for me getting apps out since I got laid off recently(totally unexpected btw). Iíve had an interview and an offer but nothing yet that will pay what I was making or near what I was making. Honestly, I didnít even know Omni existed more than a couple of weeks ago and Iíve been cramming to get up to speed with all of the 121 operators other than majors and regionals(Iím familiar with most of those). I think when I read that Omni was acquired by ATSG my brain linked them in with the other cargo operators too and when I started this thread, well...I screwed it up.

So, no I donít know much about Omni and Iíd love to know more because it sounds like it could be a good job. Iíve done similar schedules in the 135 world and I used to always think that if I was going to be out flying and away from home anyway I might as well be flying around the world seeing new places.

I do think my background starting with flying night cargo in old twins without autopilots at night, to flying charter and Part 91 in jets with lots of PIC, lots of dealing with passengers, and a decent amount of international/Class II would be a good start for a right seater in a 76 for an operation like Omni. It would still be a challenge and Iíd be up for it, in fact Iíd revel in that.

I still have 20 good years to put into a 121 job if I can find one. Iím working on that, and as youíve pointed out, Iím going to have to work harder. Iíll try again armed with more info next time.

If youíre really interested in flying cargo, apply to Kalitta Air.

Starchkr
10-11-2018, 10:56 PM
If youíre really interested in flying cargo, apply to Kalitta Air.

Cargo or Pax is fine with me. Youíre not the first to tell me to give Kalitta a try. Apparently they arenít accepting resumes at the moment but when they do, Iíll apply.

Birdsmash
10-12-2018, 03:24 AM
SouthernAir is hiring. Sorry about being laid off. Itís part of being a professional pilot unfortunately.

nitefr8dog
10-12-2018, 06:21 AM

Push hard for K4....any connection to ATSG will be a mess...

4runner
10-12-2018, 07:01 PM
Sorry for being kind of a TOTD with my reply Man. I thought I smelled snowflake and busted out the hair dryer. Go apply to OAI. Everyone I know there, likes working there even if theyíre working on their UPS apps from a La Quinta. Most folks like K4 too, while also updating a UPS app from a Crowne Plaza. Atlas is ok too. Theyíre also updating UPS apps from the St Michaels in Morbach. Go to job fairs. Theyíre good for face time with HR peeps. Omni and Kalitta donít have weird, unapproachable HR peeps like a certain outfit that flies space shuttles and trains rocket surgeons. PM some mofos too, one of us will help you out. Iím on probation and have an interview coming up, so Iím all booked up.

Starchkr
10-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Sorry for being kind of a TOTD with my reply Man. I thought I smelled snowflake and busted out the hair dryer. Go apply to OAI. Everyone I know there, likes working there even if theyíre working on their UPS apps from a La Quinta. Most folks like K4 too, while also updating a UPS app from a Crowne Plaza. Atlas is ok too. Theyíre also updating UPS apps from the St Michaels in Morbach. Go to job fairs. Theyíre good for face time with HR peeps. Omni and Kalitta donít have weird, unapproachable HR peeps like a certain outfit that flies space shuttles and trains rocket surgeons. PM some mofos too, one of us will help you out. Iím on probation and have an interview coming up, so Iím all booked up.

No worries. Good luck on the interview.

Danny738
10-16-2018, 04:54 PM
What a pilot shortage we have . Such bull$hit !

Starchkr
10-16-2018, 05:28 PM
There does seem to be quite a shortage at the regionals and entry level jobs. Theyíre paying better than they did but itís hard to take a job like that mid career when youíve been making decent compensation as a Captain somewhere.

I know for me personally there would still be a learning curve going to fly for an operation like K4 or OAI. I like the idea of facing that challenge. There would also be decent compensation.

Itís definitely easier today for pilots starting out but if youíre like me and donít have a degree it seems the experience doesnít make a huge difference to prospective employers. The majors donít seem to be interested.

No Land 3
10-20-2018, 08:31 AM
I think most of us over here at K4 aren't sending any apps out, don't want to go somewhere else. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dpnir1kU8AApF7w?format=jpg&name=small

Checkers21
10-20-2018, 08:39 AM
I think most of us over here at K4 aren't sending any apps out, don't want to go somewhere else. I highly encourage you to apply here.
https://mobile.twitter.com/CaptRogerVictor/status/1052121236967444483/photo/1

If we are itís to FedEx / UPS. :D

No Land 3
10-20-2018, 08:40 AM
If we are itís to FedEx / UPS. :D

Even then, it's not exactly an easy decision.