Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : The difference a day makes?

PegasusPuppy
10-12-2018, 04:45 PM
I'm starting my training at ATP in, probably, two months. I live in NJ. That means I'll be starting in the dead of winter trying to do VFR stuff, likely facing a delay of up to two months thanks to that wonderful timing. If that translates into a delay in my finishing the program and starting working / building hours how detrimental will that be to my total career. I know, I know, a couple of months in a 20+ year career isn't a huge deal but I'm concerned about being junior to so many younger pilots than myself, not getting upgraded as quick, not getting to the next major airline class and so on and so forth.

So my choice is move out west for the time it takes to get to IFR then come on back to NJ or just stick it out here. Advice! Criticism! Praise! Insults! HMU, winged humans.

galaxy flyer
10-12-2018, 06:48 PM
Doesnít matter one iota. Just relax and enjoy learning and gain real experience not a bunch of entries in a log.

GF

PegasusPuppy
10-13-2018, 08:08 AM
Can you elaborate, please? Also, awesome on flying the A-10. Dream job!

misterpretzel
10-13-2018, 12:50 PM
If you're care that much about speed, then you should avoid atp, as you can go way faster with other schools

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

WesternSkies
10-13-2018, 01:05 PM
We so in a bubble.

PegasusPuppy
10-13-2018, 01:17 PM
If you're care that much about speed, then you should avoid atp, as you can go way faster with other schools

I was under the impression from several people, not only ATP alum and staff, that it was the single fastest way from 0 or limited experience to an airline job. Can you tell me more, please? Why you're correcting that and what other schools you mean?:eek:

galaxy flyer
10-13-2018, 02:00 PM
A couple of weeks in a 35-year career can’t make much difference. Learning to deal with weather, evaluating risks and decision making are key skills that you won’t learn in two months of sunshine.

Also, it’s about learning to fly, not the fastest or most expedient. Skipping learning steps usually ends badly.

GF

PegasusPuppy
10-13-2018, 02:16 PM
GF: I hear you. We're talking months though, not weeks. Guess I'm just worried about all the new pilots I'll be competing with getting finished before me and always being that one class more senior. Bah - you're probably right. Concentrate on learning.

misterpretzel
10-13-2018, 02:57 PM
I was under the impression from several people, not only ATP alum and staff, that it was the single fastest way from 0 or limited experience to an airline job. Can you tell me more, please? Why you're correcting that and what other schools you mean?:eek:Just from personal experience, I'm about to finish 0-CFI in about months for a total cost of approximately 43k.

PegasusPuppy
10-13-2018, 03:00 PM
Just from personal experience, I'm about to finish 0-CFI in about months for a total cost of approximately 43k.

I notice you say months... but not how many... ? :) What certs/ratings did you get along the way? What school?

Moe96
10-13-2018, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I planned on getting my private done in one month. Had my written done before I even started flying, but **** happens (weather delays, maintenance, etc). Now here I am 3 months later trying to find a DPE who won't take a month to see me in my area.

SlimIV
10-13-2018, 04:52 PM
I could be wrong, but I honestly don't think the delay will be that great if you stay put. Location that you attend is bound to have associated weather delays anyway. As a former ATP instructor the biggest delay I saw amongst students was knowledge. I think your time would be best spent focusing the next two months on becoming familiar with the aircraft you will be flying, and studying the PHAK. Also some of the most successful students that I had showed up the first day with most, or all of the written test completed.

misterpretzel
10-13-2018, 04:54 PM
I notice you say months... but not how many... ? :) What certs/ratings did you get along the way? What school?Whoops typo haha. 6 months. I did it through a bunch of local schools and region flyers in Valparaiso, IN. Everything will be done except CFII and MEI

renatodep
10-19-2018, 06:45 AM
I'm starting my training at ATP in, probably, two months. I live in NJ. That means I'll be starting in the dead of winter trying to do VFR stuff, likely facing a delay of up to two months thanks to that wonderful timing. If that translates into a delay in my finishing the program and starting working / building hours how detrimental will that be to my total career. I know, I know, a couple of months in a 20+ year career isn't a huge deal but I'm concerned about being junior to so many younger pilots than myself, not getting upgraded as quick, not getting to the next major airline class and so on and so forth.

So my choice is move out west for the time it takes to get to IFR then come on back to NJ or just stick it out here. Advice! Criticism! Praise! Insults! HMU, winged humans.

Man, NJ had the worst weather this year. I should've checked my IR almost 2 months ago but due to weather my checkrides kept on getting cancelled. If you can I would definitely go elsewhere to do your training because NJ weather has sucked! Unfortunately it isn't an option for me or I would. I'd be a CFI by now.

PRS Guitars
10-19-2018, 10:34 AM
It wonít matter at all, and certainly isnít worth the costs associated with moving.

If the A10 is your dream plane...why arenít you pursuing an Air Force Reserve job flying them or another a Fighter?

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1