Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Special issuance timeline

2992set
10-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Has anyone gone through the special issuance process for HIMS recently? I am just trying to get an idea of how backed up the faa is. My application has been in OKC for 8 weeks and is still "under review". From what I understand, for a 1st class, it still has to go to DC.

tomgoodman
10-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Has anyone gone through the special issuance process for HIMS recently? I am just trying to get an idea of how backed up the faa is. My application has been in OKC for 8 weeks and is still "under review". From what I understand, for a 1st class, it still has to go to DC.

When I served on our HIMS committee (15+ years ago), 8 weeks or more was considered routine. The reasons for this were not clear. :confused:

Excargodog
10-17-2018, 04:56 PM
I've heard a rumor that the head shrink is off with med problems of his own. That may be holding things up too.

2992set
10-17-2018, 05:59 PM
I've heard a rumor that the head shrink is off with med problems of his own. That may be holding things up too.

wow..hope a rumor is all that it is

rpatte1637
10-17-2018, 09:25 PM
I had a stroke two years ago and OKC said I could start my SI application process after May 1, 2018. I sent all my paperwork in mid May and OKC asked for additional CPAP information about 7 weeks later. That information was submitted a couple of days later. Now going on 12 weeks and still getting the "it's still under review", hopefully we will both hear something soon. Good luck.

2992set
10-18-2018, 08:06 AM
I had a stroke two years ago and OKC said I could start my SI application process after May 1, 2018. I sent all my paperwork in mid May and OKC asked for additional CPAP information about 7 weeks later. That information was submitted a couple of days later. Now going on 12 weeks and still getting the "it's still under review", hopefully we will both hear something soon. Good luck.

i wondered if that gets routed through a different process/different doctors due to it being a stroke and mine was for HIMS..either way, I think 12 weeks is insane amount of time to wait..are you going for a 1st class?

rabreen
10-18-2018, 12:38 PM
I was having similar problems with the SI first class issuance time-line. What worked for me was to contact my congressman. You'll probably need to fill out a medical info release and explain the situation.... again. However, within about a week of his office contacting the FAA, the FAA was calling me and offering to fax my newly issued medical to me. I know it sounds strange, but it worked well for my situation.
Safe fkyng everyone!

Excargodog
10-18-2018, 01:14 PM
I was having similar problems with the SI first class issuance time-line. What worked for me was to contact my congressman. You'll probably need to fill out a medical info release and explain the situation.... again. However, within about a week of his office contacting the FAA, the FAA was calling me and offering to fax my newly issued medical to me. I know it sounds strange, but it worked well for my situation.
Safe fkyng everyone!

I would STRONGLY recommend AGAINST bringing congressionals into play. Either going through your regional flight surgeon or calling OKC directly may (or may not) speed things up. But it won't slow it down or get it refused. The FAA takes great pride in NOT taking $h.. from Senators or Congressmen. You DO NOT want to get in the crossfire. You may THINK you do, but trust me, you don't.

rpatte1637
10-18-2018, 10:59 PM
Yea, I'm pretty sure mine is a little more in depth as I had to send in a pack of medical papers about 6" thick, from several different medical professions. I made sure that each medical area was placed in a seperate envelope of it own and everything was well labeled, per the FAA guidelines and dated as to when the test or procedure was done. I pretty sure that there are several examiners that will have to review the packet, but in total it will now be close to five months since it was first mailed in. From what I gathered from the letters I received, it looks like they may not even start to review the packet until they have everything that they think they want. Once I do receive the ok for OKC then I can continue on with my first class medical exam.

Ni hao
10-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Are you using Aero medical in Denver? Or going it alone to the FAA?

2992set
11-18-2018, 11:29 AM
has anyone who submitted their special issuance paperwork recently heard anything back yet? I am at the 12 week mark

lbfowlerjrmd
11-18-2018, 01:46 PM
12 to 16 weeks ... for 1st class.

gr8pe ape
11-18-2018, 06:49 PM
The Cardiac SI review is a separate entity from the primary SI board. The cardiac board meets bi-monthly compared to the monthly reviews from the primary board. The cardiac board does have a per se roaming special investigator that can review individual cases between the bi-monthly meeting. It took me 14months to return from a CABG. Between poor scheduling with the cardiologist, explaining the use of hydrocodone after surgery, files mysteriously not mailed promptly etc etc, my case eventually became time sensitive and was reviewed by the special investigator. All is well now.
Wish I could help with the HIMS aspect but I am not familiar with it.

Excargodog
11-18-2018, 09:34 PM
ReCert (http://www.himsprogram.com/Content/ReCert#time)

2992set
11-18-2018, 10:11 PM

damn..so for HIMS, a review board meets only once a month?

gr8pe ape
11-19-2018, 03:11 AM
damn..so for HIMS, a review board meets only once a month?

If it were me, I would be thankful that there is a HIMS program and do my part. There was a time when there was not path to follow!

2992set
11-19-2018, 07:28 AM
If it were me, I would be thankful that there is a HIMS program and do my part. There was a time when there was not path to follow!

Im not sure how you can assume I am not thankful nor grateful from that statement.

georgiaflyer
12-27-2018, 11:28 AM
Have you heard back yet?

My AME sent my first packet in August 2018.

About 2 weeks later got a letter requesting an additional report.

Total of more 7 weeks to get the requested report sent over.

AME says 2nd packet of paperwork was dated November 2018.

Iím assuming the first packet was marked incomplete?

As of last week December 2018 it was ďunder reviewĒ in Washington DC so at least itís moved from OKC to DC.

Should I start a 12-16 week clock from the date of the 1st packet, 2nd packet or from time it actually got to DC?

My AME was hopeful to get a SI in January. My gut says it will most likely take 12-16 weeks from the time it actually got to DC...

Now we have a government shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiaflyer
12-27-2018, 11:35 AM
Test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiaflyer
01-06-2019, 05:20 PM

Is that 12-16 weeks from the time it was received in OKC or the time it actually got to the Federal Flight Surgeon Office in DC?

Iím coming up on 1 year in HIMS program in February. Still no medical yet. Class 1 application.