Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Orientation before interview

Skyguy85
10-17-2018, 07:32 PM
I just finished doing an orientation as a “cadet”. The first part was a PowerPoint about the company. Second part was walk around the hanger and hear some more specifics about training.

Two things were really pushed about SkyWest to us

1) Best culture and great place to work.

2) They have the best training in the industry and have the lowest washout rate of any regional.

Can anyone verify these claims or refute them in anyway?

ImPilot I Fly
10-17-2018, 07:37 PM
1. Speculative and argumentative. Anyone could say they have the best culture and is a "great place to work". It's neither fact nor fiction.

2. I don't know. I enjoyed the training. In the end, this is true with all 121 training programs, you're going to get out of it what you put into it.

hawk21
10-17-2018, 07:38 PM
2) They have the best training in the industry and have the lowest washout rate of any regional.

I agree with #1.
#2 is just straight up kool aid though. It’s a good training program. Is it the best? Lol who the heck knows. The washout rate is low because they pretty much give you all the extra training you need to get through.

savedbythevnav
10-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Our washout rate is ~10% which is the highest in OO history I believe.

Culture is what you make of it. Getting a threatening email from MT the night before a TA vote must be that First Class Culture in action.

Skyguy85
10-17-2018, 07:48 PM
They told me washout was 6%. Lol. But they said they did spend extra time with guys that need it.

Our washout rate is ~10% which is the highest in OO history I believe.

Culture is what you make of it. Getting a threatening email from MT the night before a TA vote must be that First Class Culture in action.

Skyguy85
10-17-2018, 07:49 PM
I guess what matters to me is that they care and are willing to work with you if you’re struggling. But why wouldn’t other companies do that.

I agree with #1.
#2 is just straight up kool aid though. It’s a good training program. Is it the best? Lol who the heck knows. The washout rate is low because they pretty much give you all the extra training you need to get through.

Skyguy85
10-17-2018, 07:51 PM
What’s your experience been like?

1. Speculative and argumentative. Anyone could say they have the best culture and is a "great place to work". It's neither fact nor fiction.

2. I don't know. I enjoyed the training. In the end, this is true with all 121 training programs, you're going to get out of it what you put into it.

ImPilot I Fly
10-17-2018, 07:51 PM
They told me washout was 6%. Lol. But they said they did spend extra time with guys that need it.

They also tell you you can hold SLC in a couple months and that you get a free set of floor mats and an air freshener. Don't believe a recruiter. Do your research. Weigh the pros and cons. Make a decision that is best for you.

ImPilot I Fly
10-17-2018, 07:52 PM
What’s your experience been like?

Meh. Not bad. Not good. Dealing with management and crew support has been a delight. But I wouldn't have to deal with management and crew support if they didn't work us to death.

Skyguy85
10-17-2018, 08:06 PM
They didn’t say that about slc. They were pretty upfront up lga and ord and doing reserve there most likely possible hold a line right away. However getting closer to west coast did seem doable in a few months. What’s it look like right now to you.

If they work you so much does that mean your flying a lot? What are you crediting a month?

They also tell you you can hold SLC in a couple months and that you get a free set of floor mats and an air freshener. Don't believe a recruiter. Do your research. Weigh the pros and cons. Make a decision that is best for you.

trip
10-17-2018, 10:08 PM
The only reason they’re even talking about washout rate is because it’s a problem and concern.
The culture pushed about 5-7 years ago.
If it works for you go for it.

N1CEandEZ
10-18-2018, 12:42 AM
I

I like the culture here but it also is a huge company with almost 5,000 pilots. So doesn’t always feel like a close family.

I will say the training here is pretty good and is probably as efficient as it gets for regionals right now. From the time I started Indoc to my first trip on IOE it was only 7 weeks. I didn’t feel Ill adequately prepared either. Other regionals this timeline is typically 3 months and some are as bad as 8 months or longer.

I will add my favorite thing about this company is you will see the entire country if you want to which is not something really any other regional can compare to.

Texxx
10-18-2018, 03:54 AM
I just finished doing an orientation as a “cadet”. The first part was a PowerPoint about the company. Second part was walk around the hanger and hear some more specifics about training.

Anytime someone tells you they are the best they are blowing smoke up your ars. They are telling you what THEY want you to know.

Texxx
10-18-2018, 03:56 AM
I like the culture here but it also is a huge company with almost 5,000 pilots. So doesn’t always feel like a close family.

I will say the training here is pretty good and is probably as efficient as it gets for regionals right now. From the time I started Indoc to my first trip on IOE it was only 7 weeks. I didn’t feel Ill adequately prepared either. Other regionals this timeline is typically 3 months and some are as bad as 8 months or longer.

I will add my favorite thing about this company is you will see the entire country if you want to which is not something really any other regional can compare to.

And what other regional have you worked for as a pilot?

N1CEandEZ
10-18-2018, 04:40 AM
And what other regional have you worked for as a pilot?

None other.

majorpilot
10-18-2018, 06:35 AM

Can only speak to my recent and personal experience. But here is one recent new hire’s viewpoint.

(1) One indicator of company culture is who’s hired. I was extremely impressed with my class. From brand-new ATPs to seasoned turbine pilots, GA, corp and military, one thing everyone had in common was they were great to be around. It is a very supportive and collegial group.

I found everyone at the company supportive and they all seemed to want you to succeed, and were pleasant and helpful to deal with. Are there exceptions? There is always someone who’s teaching just to not travel, personality conflicts, and bad days, but those are obvious outliers. The occasions I observed where such things arose were dealt with appropriately. So my experience absolutely supports no. 1.

(2) I don’t know how these “facts” could be tracked/confirmed. It’s like the “best cup of coffee” sign in the movie Elf—who’s deciding and on what basis?

What I CAN say is it’s a LOT of info on a VERY tight timeline and it is easy to fall behind, perhaps irretrievably. While they do give extra training, there is a cap and also a limit on failed events.

Enough has been written about regional training in other threads, but suffice to say the training is regarded highly enough by majors that OO pilots are well-received. To me that’s the best endorsement, even if (as in my personal case) the AQP, CBT-heavy syllabus wasn’t what l was used to or fit best. That said, it works!

Texxx
10-18-2018, 07:07 AM
None other.

And I would bet that the people that are feeding you this, HR or recruiting, have never been through training or better yet are not even pilots. So how can they say their training is the best?

They can't and they are blowing smoke just like their leader CC does. Smoke and mirrors.

Advice. Choose an airline that has a base that is close to you, allows you to get your time then move on IF that is what you want to do.

It's YOUR career and this is a business transaction.

Good Luck

CRJGearPuller
10-18-2018, 08:08 AM
I've been a CRJ FO for 1 year total since finishing training.
In that year:

2 Months Reserve in Chicago (ORD)
1 Month Lineholder in Chicago (ORD). 15 Standups were lovely. I left for a west coast base by choice.
2 Months Reserve in Fresno (FAT)
5 Months Lineholder in Fresno (FAT). Left holding about 50% seniority because I wanted Dallas (our newest base).
2 Months Reserve in Dallas (DFW)
Next month I am a lineholder in Dallas with 69% seniority. By January I should be around 30% seniority with all the expansion that is coming to the base.
I would currently hold 30% or less if I had chosen to stay at an east coast base.

Our training was great. I have a friend at Trans States who said they were disorganized AF but he made it through.

I am 3 months from upgrading to CA, so life is good. Right now if I do choose to upgrade, I am looking at MONTHS of reserve in DTW or ATL. That is why many choose to wait to upgrade. I haven't decided yet.

JBirdE175
10-24-2018, 03:41 PM
And I would bet that the people that are feeding you this, HR or recruiting, have never been through training or better yet are not even pilots. So how can they say their training is the best?

They can't and they are blowing smoke just like their leader CC does. Smoke and mirrors.

Advice. Choose an airline that has a base that is close to you, allows you to get your time then move on IF that is what you want to do.

It's YOUR career and this is a business transaction.

Good Luck

HR is HR. But every single recruiter is a current SkyWest pilot.

amcnd
10-25-2018, 06:11 AM
From the recruiter standpoint they are told to hire 100+ people a month.. kind of hard for them to not think things are good. Most are mid-low seniority Captains, that probably Upgraded in under 2 years, no reserve and a line right away. I agree. What anyone would want to commute for Seattle to NYC just to fly for Endeavor is nuts. The extra money over QX you wouold spend on food/crashpad/meltdown in your life with that commute..

brocklee9000
10-31-2018, 02:55 PM
I was also there during that event. The first part of the day was abymal, in the auditorium enduring all those presentations about culture and mission statements foreverrrrrrr. I don't remember the actual time we finally finished and got lunch, but it started at 8 and I seem to remember it was after 12 before we wrapped up. It felt like they were really stretching for time, and then the part with the benefits at the end felt super rushed. I feel we would have received more benefit (and fought off sleep) to cut a lot of the business/corporate stuff, talk more about training timeline/benefits/culture, and then also spend more time on the tour and hiring and interview stuff.

Anyway. I enjoyed the trip a lot more than I thought I would. I mostly came to scope it out, avoid the kool aid, and it was a free trip. I left with a more favorable opinion, but the pay raise did more to pique my interest than the sales pitch.

As for SLC, it's hard to say. I have a friend on the CRJ, and by this time last year he was done with training and sent to DTW, and now he's been in SLC for a little while. Another friend of mine went for the E175. Started CTP around the start of 2018, off to ORD out of training, and got into SLC as soon as the ERJ base opened up recently. Of course, he's the kind of guy we joke about that can talk his way into any situation and has all the luck. But anyway, historically SLC has been a long wait but it's doable.

word302
10-31-2018, 05:07 PM
I was also there during that event. The first part of the day was abymal, in the auditorium enduring all those presentations about culture and mission statements foreverrrrrrr. I don't remember the actual time we finally finished and got lunch, but it started at 8 and I seem to remember it was after 12 before we wrapped up. It felt like they were really stretching for time, and then the part with the benefits at the end felt super rushed. I feel we would have received more benefit (and fought off sleep) to cut a lot of the business/corporate stuff, talk more about training timeline/benefits/culture, and then also spend more time on the tour and hiring and interview stuff.

Anyway. I enjoyed the trip a lot more than I thought I would. I mostly came to scope it out, avoid the kool aid, and it was a free trip. I left with a more favorable opinion, but the pay raise did more to pique my interest than the sales pitch.

As for SLC, it's hard to say. I have a friend on the CRJ, and by this time last year he was done with training and sent to DTW, and now he's been in SLC for a little while. Another friend of mine went for the E175. Started CTP around the start of 2018, off to ORD out of training, and got into SLC as soon as the ERJ base opened up recently. Of course, he's the kind of guy we joke about that can talk his way into any situation and has all the luck. But anyway, historically SLC has been a long wait but it's doable.

SLC has actually always been pretty fast for FOs. It takes a lifetime to hold a CA slot there. You could literally hold SLC CA at Delta before you could at OO.

V22Plopter
11-05-2018, 12:19 AM

Is the seniority gained as a cadet the exact same as if I was to be sitting in a new hire class right now. IE if I was a cadet for a year and then did IOE couLd I hold a domicile like SAN?

If you could let me know how the cadet seniority works that would be awesome. Hopefully it’s straightforward.

peepz
11-05-2018, 03:09 AM
Is the seniority gained as a cadet the exact same as if I was to be sitting in a new hire class right now. IE if I was a cadet for a year and then did IOE couLd I hold a domicile like SAN?

If you could let me know how the cadet seniority works that would be awesome. Hopefully it’s straightforward.

Lol no that isn’t how it works.

Essentially you would have the highest seniority in your new hire class.

V22Plopter
11-05-2018, 03:29 AM
So it ends at ground school. Got it.

word302
11-05-2018, 09:13 AM
So it ends at ground school. Got it.

Well it actually starts at ground school. Your cadet date will be valid for your benefits, but pilot seniority is based on your first day of indoc.

FlyingDawgg
11-06-2018, 07:18 AM
Just got back yesterday from the cadet orientation. Pretty sure they brought an ARFF truck full of kool-aid and forced it into most of the cadet's throats. I got irritated by the end of the day with the amount of stuff I was being told that pilots, who actually fly the line, were telling me different. Doesn't seem like a bad company though. Just a strong and cocky recruiting department. :P

One thing I didn't like were the recruiters using the term "best" too much.

"We're the best regional airline." Wait.... I thought you were a mainline??? ;)

"We have the best non-rev benefits." What was told to us was you only get the airlines benefits of that who you fly at your base... Soooo if I'm DFW base I only get American? At another airline I get all three just for flying at the company.

Many people I know here told me not to listen to the recruiting department. Seems like they're not liked maybe?

PeterE
11-06-2018, 07:38 AM
"We have the best non-rev benefits." Ummm no... What was told to us was you only get the airlines benefits of that who you fly at your base... Soooo if I'm DFW base I only get American? At another airline I get all three just for flying at the company.

Good observations on the kool aid, but they were kind of right, at least in this case.

On the CRJ in DFW you would get AA, DL and UA benefits.

CRJ

ALL CRJ pilots get DL and UA, no matter what base.

If you operate AA out of the domicile (LAX, PHX, DFW, ORD), American benefits are on the table as well.

ERJ

ALL ERJ all pilots get UA.

DL and Alaska are available if flying is operated for these partners out of the domicile. Notable exceptions are SAN, PDX and DEN that get AK and UA only. SEA 175 has all three, the rest of the bases get UA and DL.

FlyingDawgg
11-06-2018, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the clarification! They didn't mention this.

Good observations on the kool aid, but they were kind of right, at least in this case.

CRJ

If you operate AA out of the domicile (LAX, PHX, DFW, ORD), American benefits are on the table as well.

ERJ

DL and Alaska are available if flying is operated for these partners out of the domicile. Notable exceptions are SAN, PDX and DEN that get AK and UA only. SEA 175 has all three, the rest of the bases get UA and DL.

word302
11-06-2018, 07:44 AM

CRJ

ERJ

Close. DEN ERJ does not get AS benefits, UA only.

Check Complete
11-06-2018, 08:18 AM

Best culture? We terminate more than any regional carrier, almost all combined. If you have no problem grabbing your ankles, then you’ll be ok.

Best training? It used to be one of the best. Now all systems training is self taught via CBT’s. 68 CBT’s on systems you have to do over 4 days, takes about 12 hours a day. Ground school has been cut by one week, covering procedures. Sim is good depending on who you get. IOE same thing. Still plenty of washouts.

The recruiters would sell their souls to get you in the door. Don’t believe the industry best pay BS.

blindfayth
11-07-2018, 04:31 AM

CRJ

ERJ

Isn't DTW CRJ Delta only?

zondaracer
11-07-2018, 04:37 AM
Isn't DTW CRJ Delta only?

The trip pairings would be almost exclusively Delta except for reserves. The flight benefits offered to DTW pilots include Delta and United. It’s conceivable that they could build United pairings out of DTW, just like they have out of MSP and SLC. They have also in the past built DL pairings out of DEN, ORD, IAH, SFO, etc.

blindfayth
11-07-2018, 04:41 AM
The trip pairings would be almost exclusively Delta except for reserves. The flight benefits offered to DTW pilots include Delta and United. It’s conceivable that they could build United pairings out of DTW, just like they have out of MSP and SLC. They have also in the past built DL pairings out of DEN, ORD, IAH, SFO, etc.

Awesome, thanks!

rswitz
11-07-2018, 05:33 AM

Things may have changed since mid October, but I hold a line in SLC after 2 months reserve in LGA. Seems they are growing SLC.

word302
11-07-2018, 10:41 AM
Things may have changed since mid October, but I hold a line in SLC after 2 months reserve in LGA. Seems they are growing SLC.

Only because they are bypassing CRJ FOs from transitioning.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1