Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : SkyWest TA Passes

savedbythevnav
10-17-2018, 07:50 PM
66.2% YES
33.8% NO

Effective 11/1/18

ajaf1656
10-17-2018, 07:52 PM
Where are you seeing the results?

amcnd
10-17-2018, 07:52 PM
“SAPA heard feedback from many of you that QOL issues still remain to be addressed. We offer you our continued commitment to improving work rules with the company.”

ajaf1656
10-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Nevre minde. I just saw the e-mail.

word302
10-17-2018, 08:00 PM
“SAPA heard feedback from many of you that QOL issues still remain to be addressed. We offer you our continued commitment to improving work rules with the company.”

Holding my breath.

Paid2fly
10-17-2018, 08:11 PM
Holding my breath.

Good luck...

Seminole00
10-17-2018, 08:39 PM
Holding my breath.

let me just call the ambulance right now..:p

gtflyer
10-18-2018, 04:58 AM
Congrats to all of you on your new TA. Hopefully you’ll get those QOL improvements soon but it’s at least a step in the right direction and you’re starting to get paid more along the lines of what you deserve. The more “good” contracts that are passed by each pilot group, the better for the industry as a whole.

hawk21
10-18-2018, 05:58 AM
I for one am happy the TA passed. Now it's time for SAPA and the company to put their money where their mouth is and prove they can do QOL improvements outside pay talks. I thought I heard there was a commuter hotel proposal ready for TG to sign. Now would be a good time for that...

Cazadores
10-18-2018, 08:39 AM
This is why we can't have nice things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WesternSkies
10-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Can’t have nice things? I make $6 more per hour than my Republuc counterpart in straight wages ( forgetting bonuses ).
They catch up in 2020 in total compensation.

Maybe I misunderstood your meaning.

amcnd
10-18-2018, 09:34 AM
The NO votes are emotional before and after the vote. They seem (based of of social media) to represent 80% of the pilot group... 14% didn’t even vote!! (Most likely yes votes that couldn’t be bothered). So reality 75~ are happy with there pay vs other regionals. We have some catching up to do with QOL... but will get there..

If you went by the pole on sapa website it looked like it would fail by 80%....

elmetal
10-18-2018, 09:35 AM
Can’t have nice things? I make $6 more per hour than my Republuc counterpart in straight wages ( forgetting bonuses ).

So when you credit 1:20 for a ORD-DTW flight and your "counterpart" credits 1:30 because they don't use historical credit, do you REALLY make more? oooooook

Fixnem2Flyinem
10-18-2018, 09:47 AM
So... I’m guessing now that pay has gone up and if the company follows through with qol, that will be the end of a union drive??

savedbythevnav
10-18-2018, 10:08 AM
So... I’m guessing now that pay has gone up and if the company follows through with qol, that will be the end of a union drive??

I doubt it.

Skyhawk121
10-18-2018, 10:27 AM
Having come to SkyWest from an ALPA regional carrier, I can honestly say I don't care if the "union drive" dies. I would vote no based on my personal experiences. I respect everyone's right to have their own opinion on the matter, but I am personally against it.

19hundo3
10-18-2018, 10:31 AM
So when you credit 1:20 for a ORD-DTW flight and your "counterpart" credits 1:30 because they don't use historical credit, do you REALLY make more? oooooook

Dude I haven't logged on in years and you're still here years later complaining about stuff. Must be tough living such a negative life. Sorry you're stuck with receiving more pay as of yesterday, sounds awful. Life isn't that bad buddy. Loosen up your jockeys

elmetal
10-18-2018, 10:36 AM
Dude I haven't logged on in years and you're still here years later complaining about stuff. Must be tough living such a negative life. Sorry you're stuck with receiving more pay as of yesterday, sounds awful. Life isn't that bad buddy. Loosen up your jockeys

I'm not at skywest, but I'll never stop spreading TRUTH about the garbage that litters the Con.... sorry, the PPM

WesternSkies
10-18-2018, 10:36 AM

Valid point on the whole. But for me I fly the block though. My look back indicates less than a 1% affect.
I am pro CoB. It aligns incentive.

19hundo3
10-18-2018, 10:53 AM
I'm not at skywest, but I'll never stop spreading TRUTH about the garbage that litters the Con.... sorry, the PPM

You do that. I'll enjoy my life making six figures a year working half the month while most everyone else sits in a cubicle scraping by and you worry about your counterpart making 3 more minutes than you per flight;)

WesternSkies
10-18-2018, 11:16 AM

Where did you go?

elmetal
10-18-2018, 11:34 AM
Where did you go?

Spirit filler

TheFly
10-18-2018, 12:08 PM
66.2% YES
33.8% NO

Effective 11/1/18

Shows how the opinions and commentary on APC/social media reflect a small portion of the pilot group.

Flying Spike
10-18-2018, 01:30 PM
Has this been dropped? There is no mention in the email sent out by recruiting.

Skyhawk121
10-18-2018, 01:37 PM

No, it passed. Effective start is 11/1/2018

savedbythevnav
10-18-2018, 01:55 PM
Shows how the opinions and commentary on APC/social media reflect a small portion of the pilot group.

It's almost as if the bunch of angry people screaming over and over is the same people almost every time.

As how it always goes, they'll settle down soon enough. Can't please everyone.

Space Cowboy
10-18-2018, 02:41 PM

No, it passed. Effective start is 11/1/2018

There's nothing in the email with the subject "Announcement: Skywest Pilot Pay Increases!", or on their updated hiring webpage about them starting what the TA said is the "option to offer hiring bonuses of up to $40,000" yet.

P.S. Hello, I'm new. I've been a Skywest Cadet for several months and I've been lurking around this website for several weeks.

worstpilotever
10-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Having come to SkyWest from an ALPA regional carrier, I can honestly say I don't care if the "union drive" dies. I would vote no based on my personal experiences. I respect everyone's right to have their own opinion on the matter, but I am personally against it.

I will assume you are not trying to go to a major? If you do, I would suggest keeping that opinion to yourself.

Buschpilot92
10-19-2018, 05:39 AM
How is that signing bonus going to be paid out?

jpso
10-19-2018, 06:09 AM
How is that signing bonus going to be paid out?

Currently there is no bonus unless you're prior 121/typed 135. If you are, you receive 7500 after completing IOE.

This current pay policy allows the airline to give a bonus of up to $40k. However, management said there was no intention of offering/changing the bonus (outside the current one) this year.

So, to answer your question. There is no bonus for non 121 currently, no idea how much, when or what the payout structure would be if they change it.

amcnd
10-19-2018, 06:46 AM
They will do $5 paybump first. That takes newhire pay to $50 a hour..

savedbythevnav
10-19-2018, 06:53 AM
They will do $5 paybump first. That takes newhire pay to $50 a hour..

Agreed. I give it a year or so. It'll be just like when they increased new hire pay to $36.50.

Tpinks
10-19-2018, 06:57 AM

what year longevity are you and what will you be going to?

rickair7777
10-19-2018, 07:05 AM
I will assume you are not trying to go to a major? If you do, I would suggest keeping that opinion to yourself.

Major pilots understand there's a difference between alpa at the major and regional level. Many of them wish alpa would have nothing to do with the feeder pilots who "stole their flying after 9/11".

amcnd
10-19-2018, 07:10 AM
Major pilots understand there's a difference between alpa at the major and regional level. Many of them wish alpa would have nothing to do with the feeder pilots who "stole their flying after 9/11".

That happened before 9/11. But yes. I agree.. to late to wish regionals were “in house” but i do believe will be down to 3-4 mega regionals in the next 10 years...

WesternSkies
10-19-2018, 07:15 AM
what year longevity are you and what will you be going to?

Thanks, on second look I was wrong about that. In straight wages my wage will only be a dollar more for only these last two months of 2018. Looking at Republic information and not the APC numbers it looks like they get a bump in 2019 and 2020.

rickair7777
10-19-2018, 07:33 AM
That happened before 9/11. But yes. I agree.. to late to wish regionals were “in house” but i do believe will be down to 3-4 mega regionals in the next 10 years...

After 9/11 rregionals grew while majors furloughed. That's where the current hard feelings come from. Those guys resent that "their" union facilitated or was a party to outsourcing their jobs to subcontractors.

elmetal
10-19-2018, 08:28 AM

I love when I hear that from major pilots...

Nothing was stolen, they pulled up the ladder and farmed away flying in order to keep from more concessions.

amcnd
10-19-2018, 09:09 AM
After 9/11 rregionals grew while majors furloughed. That's where the current hard feelings come from. Those guys resent that "their" union facilitated or was a party to outsourcing their jobs to subcontractors.

Most RJ orders happened before 9/11. (50 seats) and Masaba and Willy had BEA146’s/Avro’s... Mainline let it go along time ago...

rickair7777
10-19-2018, 10:58 AM
I love when I hear that from major pilots...

Nothing was stolen, they pulled up the ladder and farmed away flying in order to keep from more concessions.

That's why I used quotes.

Hawker445
10-19-2018, 11:18 AM
Out of curiosity, what are the major gripes towards QOL that people have that aren't issues in other Regionals? Commuting?

amcnd
10-19-2018, 11:50 AM
Out of curiosity, what are the major gripes towards QOL that people have that aren't issues in other Regionals? Commuting?

CRJ, working to much. 4 day with a local taged on it. Or only 2 days off between trips...

TheFly
10-19-2018, 12:08 PM
4 day with a local taged on it.

Wow, you get that kind of schedule? Where are you based?!

amcnd
10-19-2018, 12:27 PM
Wow, you get that kind of schedule? Where are you based?!

SLC. But I usually do 3 days. And the penalty local i can easily drop.. No such luck for dropping at other basses...

Hawker445
10-19-2018, 12:30 PM
SLC. But I usually do 3 days. And the penalty local i can easily drop..

What's penalty/local?

amcnd
10-19-2018, 12:35 PM
What's penalty/local?

More of a “joke” name for it..

One that you got CN’ed. (Company Need) after a 3 day. The next day you do a local...

hawk21
10-19-2018, 02:22 PM
CN does NOT stand for company need...

That’s a myth.

amcnd
10-19-2018, 02:41 PM

That’s a myth.

You are correct.. But in a nut shell... “company need”;-)

“CN means PBS didn't meet any selected criteria but needs the pairing to be covered”

trip
10-19-2018, 02:42 PM
SLC. But I usually do 3 days. And the penalty local i can easily drop.. No such luck for dropping at other basses...

You mean somebody else is willing to pick it up, right?

amcnd
10-19-2018, 02:46 PM
You mean somebody else is willing to pick it up, right?

Yes...........

hawk21
10-19-2018, 02:50 PM
You are correct.. But in a nut shell... “company need”;-)

“CN means PBS didn't meet any selected criteria but needs the pairing to be covered”

Yes so you very easily could’ve screwed yourself.

trip
10-19-2018, 02:51 PM

That’s a myth.

Come on man... semantics.
Left over pairings get dumped back in vs open time or to reserves.
It's a beautiful system for the company to get the majority of flying covered with very little additional costs.

amcnd
10-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Come on man... semantics.
Left over pairings get dumped back in vs open time or to reserves.
It's a beautiful system for the company to get the majority of flying covered with very little additional costs.

Better then hard lines....

Gone Flying
10-19-2018, 03:04 PM

I think the biggest issue I have heard is it takes being 30% or less in category to get more than 12 days off a month consistently ( even in slow months like sept.) at least in east coast bases this is true. One of my biggest gripe is FO's displaced for IOE can be used for any flying the company wants at no extra pay unless they overfly original trip value. There are many other issues that stem from the fact seniority is not honored like other carriers( like the fact they are not letting CRJ FOs in SLC transition to the 175, or they displaced SEA CRJ ca's out of base while allowing jr pilots to them to stay in base on the 175.) Im not sure how reserve is handled at other carriers but right now you need 22 reserves/day to drop anything in a base of 140 line holders ( I can remember 2 days in the last year that were above reserve staffing and on one of them I was somehow still denied a drop) I know many other carriers that are having staffing issues will pay premium to get open time covered, I hardly ever see trips above 130% and if they are truly desperate they MAY offer 150% day of. I don't think this is a bad place to work but there are many areas that could use improvement. I'm not sure how these issues stack up against other regionals though, if anyone has any insight I would like to learn.

WesternSkies
10-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Yes so you very easily could’ve screwed yourself.

Time out.
That isn’t what it means either. AMCND and the colloquial “company need” is close enough.
“ When pairings are marked with a C they are pairings that are needed to cover flying.”

It means your seniority has been violated. We don’t have pairings that don’t need to be covered. That CN pairing was somewhere in your layers. If you “did it to yourself” and didn’t open up enough options for PBS it would have been on your schedule as a PN.

amcnd
10-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Time out.
That isn’t what it means either. AMCND and the colloquial “company need” is close enough.
“ When pairings are marked with a C they are pairings that are needed to cover flying.”

It means your seniority has been violated. We don’t have pairings that don’t need to be covered. That CN pairing was somewhere in your layers. If you “did it to yourself” and didn’t open up enough options for PBS it would have been on your schedule as a PN.

I just copied and paste the exact verbiage from the manual...

And for “gone flying” look at SLC. There have been 4 locals and 2 -2 days for 150% but act quick!! They go in seconds...

WesternSkies
10-19-2018, 03:58 PM
Yes the verbiage is deliberately selected so that most are confused by what is happening or feel like they CN’d themselves. It is simply a computer program that needs a code to not award flying in exact seniority order for the sake of efficiency.

Check Complete
10-20-2018, 06:44 AM
^^^^^^^^

Says the company apologist.

You’ve got to be the first person ever to stand up for AOS PBS!

Sad, sickening!

WesternSkies
10-20-2018, 07:21 AM
Explaining what is happening is far from an endorsement for. Stay in your binary world where Check complete good, Company bad.

Arliss
10-20-2018, 08:22 AM
I think the biggest issue I have heard is it takes being 30% or less in category to get more than 12 days off a month consistently ( even in slow months like sept.) at least in east coast bases this is true. One of my biggest gripe is FO's displaced for IOE can be used for any flying the company wants at no extra pay unless they overfly original trip value. There are many other issues that stem from the fact seniority is not honored like other carriers( like the fact they are not letting CRJ FOs in SLC transition to the 175, or they displaced SEA CRJ ca's out of base while allowing jr pilots to them to stay in base on the 175.) Im not sure how reserve is handled at other carriers but right now you need 22 reserves/day to drop anything in a base of 140 line holders ( I can remember 2 days in the last year that were above reserve staffing and on one of them I was somehow still denied a drop) I know many other carriers that are having staffing issues will pay premium to get open time covered, I hardly ever see trips above 130% and if they are truly desperate they MAY offer 150% day of. I don't think this is a bad place to work but there are many areas that could use improvement. I'm not sure how these issues stack up against other regionals though, if anyone has any insight I would like to learn.

Honestly, this doesn't sound much different than Xjet. :D

It's impossible to drop reserve days here; more than half the hard lines seem to have 12 days off (although you can kinda/sorta psuedo drop in line improvement); and if a trip gets pulled for IOE, scheduling can put something else on within the footprint of the original trip, but you're pay protected for the original value (or greater).

Overall though, we have really good flexibility and I can just about always get the days off I want.

Gone Flying
10-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Honestly, this doesn't sound much different than Xjet. :D

It's impossible to drop reserve days here; more than half the hard lines seem to have 12 days off (although you can kinda/sorta psuedo drop in line improvement); and if a trip gets pulled for IOE, scheduling can put something else on within the footprint of the original trip, but you're pay protected for the original value (or greater).

Overall though, we have really good flexibility and I can just about always get the days off I want.

Thanks for the reply, just a point of clarification I am not talking about being on reserve and dropping a day, I am talking about having the reserve staffing to drop any trip or any part of a trip as a line holder.( I see now I worded it poorly) As many others have said the way PBS builds schedules and the way coverage dates are assigned quite often leads to people in the 30-60% bracket having surprisingly bad schedules for their seniority (have flown with CAs who are working 6 on 2 off consistently with one block of 4 and one block of 3 days off due to the number of coverage dates). For some reason I thought XJET Pilots who were displaced for IOE were always off with pay, now I know. I know 9E is and think republic is as well. Out of curiosity at XJET when do you get your final schedules, we get ours on the 24th at 10pm eastern, that seems late in the month. Is it the same for you?

Thanks!

amcnd
10-20-2018, 11:37 AM
Talked to a manager in training. Now that the TA passed they plan on increasing hiring after the holidays. (Hire NH pay should help recruiting efforts) they are trying to get staffing better, and they planing on attrition as the majors spool up.. plan is hire 1000 pilots in 2019..

hawk21
10-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Talked to a manager in training. Now that the TA passed they plan on increasing hiring after the holidays. (Hire NH pay should help recruiting efforts) they are trying to get staffing better, and they planing on attrition as the majors spool up.. plan is hire 1000 pilots in 2019..

"We need better staffing! I can't drop trips!"

inb4 "We hired too many people. My bonuses went down too much!".

From the same group of chronic complainers. :rolleyes:

amcnd
10-20-2018, 12:14 PM
^ so true. was kind of nice seeing how they plan on high attrition because of Majors hiring in 2019, they have secured more sim time, we have no sim backup like other regionals. They leave blocks of sim open for extra training. They are being proactive rather then the ostrich effect...

word302
10-21-2018, 12:53 PM
^ so true. was kind of nice seeing how they plan on high attrition because of Majors hiring in 2019, they have secured more sim time, we have no sim backup like other regionals. They leave blocks of sim open for extra training. They are being proactive rather then the ostrich effect...

Staffing will never improve here without language in the PPM controlling it. More pilots has and always will mean more flying. Our list has grown steadily for the last 5 years yet staffing continues to get worse.

Skyhawk121
10-22-2018, 08:20 AM
Staffing will never improve here without language in the PPM controlling it. More pilots has and always will mean more flying. Our list has grown steadily for the last 5 years yet staffing continues to get worse.

And what "language" are you suggesting?

elmetal
10-22-2018, 08:34 AM
And what "language" are you suggesting?

he's referring to requiring certain reserve staffing.

Melit
10-22-2018, 09:34 AM

hawk21
10-22-2018, 12:24 PM
"West coast is shrinking. We need more contracts out west!"

"They're only hiring pilots for new contracts."

:rolleyes:

Check Complete
10-22-2018, 05:45 PM
Melanyit, is that your silhouette I was certain you had a much bigger fore head and thicker neck?

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1