Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Universal Post Treaty

nonrev dad
10-18-2018, 04:52 AM
I learned something new yesterday (never stop learning!), I learned of the existence of the Universal Post Union, some sort of treaty that allows participating countries to ship to the US at lower rates. I have a son who flies cargo, and I also import parcels of European made goods for my company...therefore my interest! Just yesterday I ordered some parts from England and the supplier is sending them Royal Mail (which may wind up on a Brown or Purple plane or truck as has been the case in the past?)... but the Royal Mail shipping cost compared to the UPS or FedEx cost for this parcel was at least 30% less.

So I'm guessing this Universal Post Union treaty is responsible for this price break given for using Royal Mail at origin... and that maybe dropping out of this treaty will benefit our private carriers?

All I know is that when I send parcels to the UK, regardless of whether I use Brown, Purple, or Postal it costs a whole lot more to get that parcel to our UK distributor than to receive the same parcel back from the UK distributor.

Elevation
10-18-2018, 06:12 AM
There was a really good Freakonomics podcast about that group and how it affected American manufactuerers (I think they used a boutique mug maker for their example) a month or so ago. Glad to see it in the news again.

No Land 3
10-18-2018, 03:47 PM
I'd like to see that treaty abolished.

filejw
10-18-2018, 06:45 PM
I'd like to see that treaty abolished.
Sounds like that is the plan.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1