Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Jump Alert

tom11011
10-18-2018, 12:10 PM
Have you seen jumpalert? It's a jumpseating tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LShe43xvizQ

Dalda Erlines
10-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Have you seen jumpalert? It's a jumpseating tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LShe43xvizQ

I get the concept and i like the idea. However, airlines all have different rules for Jumpseating. Some you list at the gate and others through an online platform or over the phone..then thereís the whole priority nightmare and OAL priority with express carries etc...

VIRotate
10-18-2018, 09:18 PM
TOTD Alert: Ah now I can see who Iím competing with and get to the gate extra early! :D

In all seriousness, I think itís a cool idea.

tom11011
10-19-2018, 07:20 AM
I get the concept and i like the idea. However, airlines all have different rules for Jumpseating. Some you list at the gate and others through an online platform or over the phone..then thereís the whole priority nightmare and OAL priority with express carries etc...

It's not a listing tool, only an alert tool.

" jumpALERT is not a listing tool, you still list for a jumpseat using traditional methods. You create an Alert on jumpALERT."

CBreezy
10-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Wait, so I am supposed to let everyone know I'm going to take a JS? No. This is a huge waste of time.

PiperPower
10-19-2018, 10:16 AM
What problem is this solving?

tom11011
10-19-2018, 12:49 PM
What problem is this solving?

What is jumpALERT?
jumpALERT allows participating flight crews to check whether or not potential jumpseater(s) are at the gate needing a ride. jumpALERT solves the problem of gate agents not notifying a flight crew that a pilot is at the gate and stranding the pilot. jumpALERT is not a listing tool, you still list for a jumpseat using traditional methods. You create an Alert on jumpALERT.

Mesabi
10-19-2018, 01:36 PM
If a Captain isn’t bothered enough to take the time and make “the walk” to check for jumpseaters, does anyone really think they’re going to go through the effort to download and set up an app? And check it during boarding every flight? Lol.

hilltopflyer
10-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Or I just use acars and it tells me if anyone is listed.

PiperPower
10-20-2018, 07:19 PM
What is jumpALERT?
jumpALERT allows participating flight crews to check whether or not potential jumpseater(s) are at the gate needing a ride. jumpALERT solves the problem of gate agents not notifying a flight crew that a pilot is at the gate and stranding the pilot. jumpALERT is not a listing tool, you still list for a jumpseat using traditional methods. You create an Alert on jumpALERT.

How about the jumpseater is just proactive and pays attention? As a long time commuter, there has been plenty of times the gate agent has "forgotten" about me as I'm standing 10 feet away; they're human... I never found it that difficult to just politely remind them that I'm still there when it gets down to crunch time and the boarding process ends... it's usually met with a response like "Oh my gosh I'm sorry, yes here's your seat!"
Leave it to pilots to completely overcomplicate this process.

I'm all for tools to make life easier, but I must be missing the point on this one.

CBreezy
10-20-2018, 08:00 PM
What is jumpALERT?

Wait, so now I have to download an app and check it in the very rare case that the gate agent is leaving someone at the gate?

captjns
10-22-2018, 06:43 AM
Wait, so now I have to download an app and check it in the very rare case that the gate agent is leaving someone at the gate?

Iím sure the DO will add the following to the of the Preflight Checklsit...

ďJumpALERT APP....................................CHECKEDĒ

Yeah I can see that happening:rolleyes:

detpilot
10-22-2018, 09:27 AM
Or I just use acars and it tells me if anyone is listed.I can see the utility of this, but I doubt it will take off. The issue is, gate agents on a power trip refusing to list an offline pilot because they are too busy or whatnot. It's happened to me, especially when the is only one agent working the flight. You run over from your flight to, say, Delta, and boarding has just started. The agent will not help you until she has finished the boarding process, so even though you are there 20-30 minutes before departure, they then say "I don't have time to list you". Or, on AA, "I don't have time to check you in." (Both airlines, this takes less than 30 seconds).

So then, if the captain didn't make the walk, you're waving from the gate trying to get their attention in the cockpit... Or discreetly asking a passenger to tell the flight attendant to tell the captain that there is a jumpseater trying to get on. Both of these methods, plus a helpful captain, have saved my bacon before. So I can understand why someone created this app, but I doubt it'll be used enough to be useful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1