Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Logbook question

holygrail
10-21-2018, 04:55 PM
I interviewed in 2011 and was not selected. At the time I was transitioning from paper to E logbooks and I presented both to the interviewer. He looked and looked and looked but didnít say much. Everything was for the most part in order but Iím wondering what level of perfection they are looking for. Iíve got quite a bit of time and for many years kept those red duty log things and then transferred to my logbook.

Needless to say, my 25 years of logbooks are not perfect, messy in places and Iíve found a few math / forwarded amount errors over the years that Iíve done my best to account for.

I would guess that perfect books are more of a red flag than ďregularĒ ones but I donít really know.

Iíd really like to get hired in the next window and Iíd appreciate anyoneís thoughts with regard to logbooks.

Thanks in advance.

Psycho18th
10-21-2018, 07:04 PM
My personal opinion. I donít personally know anyone involved in the hiring process.

No one will have perfect record keeping for 25 years. Do your best. Follow their instructions with tabulating, marking, totaling to the letter. Show them you meet the qualifications, and present it as professionally as possible, indicating you are a professional who really wants this company to hire you.
If youíre not fudging numbers and come across as a professional who can follow simple instructions, the logbook itself is a non-event. Itís an excuse to talk to you and get to know you. Maybe some of your hours and ratings are good conversation starters where the interviewer looking at your logbook can get a chance to talk about who you are and what unique experiences you bring to the table.
Bottom line: Think of it as a conversation with a fellow professional pilot, not an IRS audit.
See my disclaimer at the start of this post. And good luck!!

pugpilot
10-21-2018, 08:09 PM
I didn't even bring my original logbooks but instead brought a printout (bound and professional looking) from my elogbook. Tabbed as we had been instructed. No one seemed to notice or care in the least.
Got the offer.

Zard
10-21-2018, 09:45 PM
I had my logbooks tabbed. I used a summary sheet that was gouged up with every total they said they wanted (plus some others guys hired before me had been asked to tabulate) and it made life super easy at the logbook review.

2strokin
10-22-2018, 05:58 AM
I did the same as what Zard posted above.

holygrail
10-22-2018, 06:17 AM
All great info. Thanks.

Skyward
10-22-2018, 06:53 AM
I also did what Zard posted

symbian simian
10-24-2018, 09:46 PM
Pretty much every (US) company is required to keep track of your times for legal reasons. Can't they just send it to the FAA? You interview, they do a PRIA, and BOOM all your flight time is there. How is a handwritten log even relevant after 10 years of 121 regional flying?

Bwipilot
10-25-2018, 06:56 AM
Make sure that you have some sort of strap to keep the logbook from opening inadvertently. It's very important at SWA these days to keep logbooks secure.

Sarcasm off.