Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Gravity88x
10-24-2018, 07:41 AM
So I am on reserve fresh out of IOE. I havenít been utilized once and this is my second set of reserve days.

Can anyone explain how they select who is going to get flying? Which day are you more likely to be called?? (Day 2 of 4 versus day 1 of 6, etc)

Thanks again

fortyeight
10-24-2018, 07:58 AM
So I am on reserve fresh out of IOE. I havenít been utilized once and this is my second set of reserve days.

Can anyone explain how they select who is going to get flying? Which day are you more likely to be called?? (Day 2 of 4 versus day 1 of 6, etc)

Thanks again

You can log in to flica and check how many other pilots are on reserve and how many days available. Itís supposed to be ďfirst in first outĒ, but scheduling will use you really any way they want.

Jungle Jim
10-24-2018, 08:07 AM
https://i.imgur.com/lCnlB9m.gif

Lostboys97
10-24-2018, 08:32 AM
Make sure to read the contract!!

Gravity88x
10-24-2018, 08:52 AM
Make sure to read the contract!!

I have. But as others have said...the company is not using that rule at all. I have been watching the reserve availability daily to see who is getting assigned.

FlyGood
10-24-2018, 09:18 AM
Iím not saying let the company screw you, at all. BUT, sitting around watching the reserve availability and who gets used and who doesnít adds a lot of stress to life. Relax, plan your day assuming youíre going to get called, and enjoy the days you arenít. If thereís a glaring misuse then fight it.

Web265
10-24-2018, 09:29 AM
If you ever crack that code, be sure and post it..... :confused:

TheWeatherman
10-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Reduced winter flying combined with the increased number of FOs coming out of training means Reserves are getting used less and less.

I can totally relate to what you are feeling. You are fresh out of IOE and all you want to do is fly fly fly. I was like that last winter. But I just had a month of reserve again after holding a line for a while due to SIMs and GDO usage meaning FLICA couln't build me a line. My hope was they wouldn't use me much and that came true. As a matter of fact, I had 9 day period of 6 days of reserve, a day off, and then 2 days of reserve and they didn't use me once. It was the greatest thing in the world.

So I guess my point after all of that is that it is just not you. There are a lot of people not being used on Reserve this month. Expect that trend to continue till summer flying comes again.

twebb
10-24-2018, 04:48 PM
-Live in base.
-Be home with friends and family.
-Live life while on reserve days.
-Pick up trip trades/splits from your fellow pilots, and make extra cash while being home every day!

SpringLanding
10-24-2018, 05:11 PM
-Live in base.
-Be home with friends and family.
-Live life while on reserve days.
-Pick up trip trades/splits from your fellow pilots, and make extra cash while being home every day!

- Get hired by a major later for each day youíre not flying

Am I wrong?

TheWeatherman
10-24-2018, 05:19 PM
- Get hired by a major later for each day you’re not flying

Am I wrong?
Yes, at Republic at least you are. By the time you will be eligible to upgrade, you will have more then 1000 hours, but rather at the 2 - 2.5 year point. Nobody is upgrading right at 1000 hours. In other words, when you are senior enough to upgrade you will meet the mins despite not flying much in the first few months.

Now if you were at a Regional where upgrades are fast and right at 1000 hours, it might be an issue. But guess what, those Regionals have Reserves that arn't flying that much either. Check out the Envoy and Skywest message boards, some of those FOs are only flying 10 - 20 hours a month while on Reserve.

Web265
10-24-2018, 05:21 PM
http://www.pba66.org/patience.jpg

SpringLanding
10-24-2018, 05:24 PM
Yes, at Republic at least you are. By the time you will be eligible to upgrade, you will have more then 1000 hours, but rather at the 2 - 2.5 year point. Nobody is upgrading right at 1000 hours. In other words, when you are senior enough to upgrade you will meet the mins despite not flying much in the first few months.

Ok, that makes sense. Thatís helpful. It sounds like republic makes sense if youíre ok taking a longer time to get to 1000 turbine Multi PIC, but enjoying a higher paycheck and QOL than others. Whatís the fastest ticket for a new guy to get a captain upgrade if pay, QOL, and location donít matter?

814Pilot
10-24-2018, 05:39 PM
We are allowed to pick up open time when on reserve, yes ?

TheWeatherman
10-24-2018, 05:48 PM
Ok, that makes sense. Thatís helpful. It sounds like republic makes sense if youíre ok taking a longer time to get to 1000 turbine Multi PIC, but enjoying a higher paycheck and QOL than others. Whatís the fastest ticket for a new guy to get a captain upgrade if pay, QOL, and location donít matter?
It's not that it takes a longer time to get to 1000 hours at Republic then other Regionals. It's that upgrade right now is at 2.3 years, which by that time you would have over 1500 hours most likely.

TheWeatherman
10-24-2018, 05:49 PM
Yes, but only on your days off. Keep in mind the FDPs during your reserve count whether you are used or not, so Part 117 rules and company buffers apply.

ChopNDrop
10-25-2018, 03:57 AM

Pick up trips on the trade board before open time.. helps your bro/sis out and it helps leverage more flag pay

knewyork
10-26-2018, 03:49 AM
1000 121 PIC doesnít even matter anymore.

pilot2804
10-30-2018, 05:12 PM
Could you swap reserve days for open time trips?

Lets say I sit reserve in EWR on the 8-12th and theres an open time trip out of MIA the 8-12th, could i pick it up?
What about if it was an open time trip on the 8-12th in EWR?

TheWeatherman
10-30-2018, 05:18 PM
Could you swap reserve days for open time trips?

Lets say I sit reserve in EWR on the 8-12th and theres an open time trip out of MIA the 8-12th, could i pick it up?
What about if it was an open time trip on the 8-12th in EWR?
No, not directly. You would first have to either drop your reserve days, or swap them for days you have off later in the month. In order for you to do either, reserve levels for each day have to be above the minimum set for your base.

mfflyer
10-30-2018, 09:12 PM
No, not directly. You would first have to either drop your reserve days, or swap them for days you have off later in the month. In order for you to do either, reserve levels for each day have to be above the minimum set for your base.

How do we know what the minimum is for the day/month in base?

Web265
10-31-2018, 04:36 AM
How do we know what the minimum is for the day/month in base?

Anyone? I've been trying to figure this one out for months....

This month, EWR FO; Highest in the reserve grid is 11, average for the month is 9.1.

Tried to drop a day with 11 available, no open duty periods.

Denied in under 60 seconds for "At or below minimum reserves"

Anyone know the formula?

Geardownflaps30
10-31-2018, 05:00 AM
Anyone? I've been trying to figure this one out for months....

This month, EWR FO; Highest in the reserve grid is 11, average for the month is 9.1.

Tried to drop a day with 11 available, no open duty periods.

Denied in under 60 seconds for "At or below minimum reserves"

Anyone know the formula?

From my practical experience, in two different large bases, the number is 14. YMMV

Web265
10-31-2018, 05:46 AM
From my practical experience, in two different large bases, the number is 14. YMMV

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWeatherman
10-31-2018, 06:55 AM
It changes depending on base size and time of year. I think there is a formula or some type of poor explanation on the pilot info page, but it just seems to be up to CS discretion. I have called Crew Support directly a few times and was able to get things moved around that Flica was not able to.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1