Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commuting to ORD or DTW

jtsatl
10-25-2018, 08:16 AM
Iím sure this question has been asked before, but I also know that situations are constantly changing. Iím currently in ground school, and I would ideally like to end up in ATL as quickly as possible after training. It appears thereís a possibility I could get lucky and be able to hold ATL after IOE but if I end up commuting for a hopefully short period of time, I wanted to get opinions on whether commuting to ORD or DTW would be more ideal. So obviously looking for opinions on commutability from ATL, ease of acquiring a reasonable priced crash pad, ease of traveling between crash pad and the airport/grocery stores/restaurants, and how quickly I would get off reserve so that Iím sitting in a crash pad for as brief a period as possible. Thanks

telejet
10-25-2018, 08:31 AM
Probably ORD. I flew with a lot of ATL-DTW commuters and they were always looking at two leg options. Hub to hub = agony.

Simpsons
10-25-2018, 12:46 PM
ORD. At least 4 different airlines to choose from, MDW can be used in a pinch, and we do some of the flights

jpso
10-26-2018, 06:05 AM
ORD. ATL has reduced flying for the winter months. No FOs have been awarded Atlanta in the last three months but, the December vacancy report showed 6 spots open. Make sure your standing bid shows ATL CRJ FO and check your position within the standing bid list to determine your ability to be awarded the base.

jtsatl
10-26-2018, 04:16 PM
Excellent. I appreciate the information.

nowkk211
10-28-2018, 06:07 AM
ORD. I believe the ATL ORD flight is mostly Skywest operated as well.

skruts
10-28-2018, 01:10 PM
Hopping on the commuting train, does anyone know anybody doing TVC-ORD or TVC-DTW commute? Wanting to move back up there soon with my eyes on SkyWest.

Bruno82
10-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Hopping on the commuting train, does anyone know anybody doing TVC-ORD or TVC-DTW commute? Wanting to move back up there soon with my eyes on SkyWest.

Iíve flown with a couple of FOs that do TVC-ORD. They said it wasnít bad. One of them has a fiancť that does ORD-DTW and he drives a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawk21
10-28-2018, 02:46 PM
ORD is one of the most commuter friendly domiciles. Avoid Delta hub-hub commutes at all costs.

AFSOCFlyr
10-29-2018, 05:03 AM
I'm seeing an opportunity to pile on here..

I have a Jan CRJ class date and will be living about 40min from MCO, 15 mins from MLB. Should I be wanting ATL, or, if I'm going to have to commute anyways, would QOL potentially be better to try and one-hop it from MCO to ORD or elsewhere?

Thanks for your time!

AFSOCFlyr
10-30-2018, 12:16 PM

I have a Jan CRJ class date and will be living about 40min from MCO, 15 mins from MLB. Should I be wanting ATL, or, if I'm going to have to commute anyways, would QOL potentially be better to try and one-hop it from MCO to ORD or elsewhere?
Thanks for your time!

For what it is worth, I have family near DTW.

hawk21
10-30-2018, 03:20 PM

Thanks for your time!

MCO-ATL sounds like a brutal commute. Might wanna find a nearby airport with less competition.

AFSOCFlyr
10-30-2018, 03:30 PM
MCO-ATL sounds like a brutal commute. Might wanna find a nearby airport with less competition.

Because it is MCO or because of ATL? Iím defiantly not stuck on the ATL part. I figured MCO-ORD might get me some decent flying, but if MCO is that bad..?

I guess to paint the regional picture Iíll be 45 mins to MCO, 15 to MLB, and 3hr to MIA with FLL and West Palm along the way.

KelvinHelmholtz
10-30-2018, 04:52 PM
Because it is MCO or because of ATL? Iím defiantly not stuck on the ATL part. I figured MCO-ORD might get me some decent flying, but if MCO is that bad..?

I guess to paint the regional picture Iíll be 45 mins to MCO, 15 to MLB, and 3hr to MIA with FLL and West Palm along the way.

Lots of Florida to ATL commuters. Delta fills up 757s many times a day from MCO and there are mainline commuters with seniority dates before you were born. Not to mention the disaster that is remote parking at MCO. MLB is much better in my experience, and very convenient (5-10 minutes from parking lot to gate)

IceFlash
10-30-2018, 05:11 PM

Honestly MCO-ATL is a piece of cake, I do it every week and hardly ever miss a flight. There are 20 some flights a day on 5 airlines. Granted Delta is usually a terrible option because they are always full, but I have yet to miss a Southwest flight. Other airlines doing that route are JetBlue, Frontier and Spirit.

MCO-ORD is awful and not something I'd ever consider doing again

AFSOCFlyr
10-30-2018, 05:20 PM
Thanks, all very helpful! So it sounds like ATL is still the best option regardless of your preference on how to get there.

I had thought that being by MCO instead of the FL panhandle might open up some other options, possibly with better flying and/or schedules. Not at all why Iím moving, just a thought.

bronc
10-30-2018, 07:27 PM
Honestly MCO-ATL is a piece of cake, I do it every week and hardly ever miss a flight. There are 20 some flights a day on 5 airlines. Granted Delta is usually a terrible option because they are always full, but I have yet to miss a Southwest flight. Other airlines doing that route are JetBlue, Frontier and Spirit.

MCO-ORD is awful and not something I'd ever consider doing again

SouthjetAir did mco-atl, not sure if they gave up that route or what but don't see it on passrider anymore

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1