Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New Hire Benefits Enrollment

TankerDriver
10-26-2018, 02:35 PM
I've been reviewing the benefits guide prior to my indoc class.

Does anyone have advice, do's and/or don'ts? I have access to Tricare Reserve Select/Tricare Dental, which is probably what I'll use over the BCBS.

PRS Guitars
10-26-2018, 07:00 PM
I've been reviewing the benefits guide prior to my indoc class.

Does anyone have advice, do's and/or don'ts? I have access to Tricare Reserve Select/Tricare Dental, which is probably what I'll use over the BCBS.

Definitely TRS medical. I do use AA for vision and dental though, I think theyíre marginally better, though I havenít really compared them in a while.

Rawhide16
10-27-2018, 06:42 AM
Definitely TRS medical. I do use AA for vision and dental though, I think theyíre marginally better, though I havenít really compared them in a while.

I do the same as PRS except the vision. TRS allows one free eye exam per year (or two?) and no one in our family needs glasses so I stick with TRS for medical/vision and AA dental. AA dental is about a third of the premiums with similar coverages.

TankerDriver
10-27-2018, 06:45 AM
Awesome, thanks.

isuguy
05-28-2019, 12:57 PM
Anybody do the ďvoluntary term life insuranceĒ on top of the 70k they give us? Seems like a good price, but wonder what Iím missing. Covers military flying as well it sounded like according to the benefits service center person.

Covfefe
05-28-2019, 01:06 PM

^^this seems to be the consensus.

isuguy
05-28-2019, 01:33 PM
^^this seems to be the consensus.

Yeah Iím good on all that, just wondering about the extra life insurance option to buy. Itís a lot cheaper than other term life policies out there it seems like and I havenít seen much in people talking about that part of the bennies.

PRS Guitars
05-28-2019, 04:23 PM
Yeah Iím good on all that, just wondering about the extra life insurance option to buy. Itís a lot cheaper than other term life policies out there it seems like and I havenít seen much in people talking about that part of the bennies.

Your post made me check. Yes I have it, itís $200k for $24 a month. Thatís expensive compared to my other policies. I just got a quote for about $76 a month IIRC, on $1m for 15 years. My existing policies are cheaper than that. Iím 45...if you are military look into AAFMA, they offer up to $850k and donít ding you for military flying.

Andrew_VT
05-29-2019, 05:41 AM
The extra life insurance option during open enrollment periods only makes sense if you have something bad in your health history.

My AIG Direct term life policy is way cheaper/better than that ($750k for $15/mo 10yr) but a nurse had to come to my house for a quick physical and my medical history is fine.