Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Prospective Canadites

180tillLIMMA
10-29-2018, 10:27 PM
Hello all,

Are you able to pick your aircraft prior to training? Hoping to be guaranteed the E175. Which bases can you expect out of training on the E175? How long to possible hold SAN?

Lastly, how does Skywest conduct training... throughAQP? How did you like training and the material?

Thanks in advance

jpso
10-30-2018, 03:37 AM
Hello all,

Are you able to pick your aircraft prior to training? Hoping to be guaranteed the E175. Which bases can you expect out of training on the E175? How long to possible hold SAN?

Lastly, how does Skywest conduct training... throughAQP? How did you like training and the material?

Thanks in advance

You will be able to pick your aircraft prior to training so, if you want the 175, you can obtain that. As far as I know new hires are getting LGA for the E175.

Check the seniority list online here (http://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/pilot-jobs/).

Yes, SkyWest is AQP. I've been through three 121 training programs and a 91k program. SkyWest really was top notch for training.

uncleowen
10-30-2018, 06:25 AM
We accept all Canadites unless youíre from Quebec.

rickair7777
10-30-2018, 07:22 AM
Better pay a professional service to proof-read your resume.

Check Complete
10-30-2018, 09:17 AM
You should see some of our CBT's........

word302
10-30-2018, 09:19 AM
Better pay a professional service to proof-read your resume.

As if that would keep him from getting hired? Surely you jest.

Paid2fly
10-30-2018, 09:03 PM

So, now we're hiring "Canadites" as well as the Aussies?:confused:

:eek:

:D

Flying Spike
10-30-2018, 11:27 PM
So, now we're hiring "Canadites" as well as the Aussies?:confused:

:eek:

:D

There goes the neighbourhood

savedbythevnav
10-31-2018, 11:27 AM
There goes the neighbourhood

Quick! Put the house up for sale!

jpso
10-31-2018, 11:43 AM

Lol :D

Filler

rickair7777
10-31-2018, 12:06 PM
As if that would keep him from getting hired? Surely you jest.

It would at DAL! But maybe that's the point :rolleyes:

V22Plopter
11-05-2018, 08:11 PM
How long is the seat lock as FO? Can you go from CRJ TO ERJ as FO

darkman62
11-05-2018, 08:19 PM
I am a FO at EDV and thinking about making the switch? I hear you guys are a better place

zondaracer
11-05-2018, 09:43 PM
How long is the seat lock as FO? Can you go from CRJ TO ERJ as FO

2 years and yes you can go CRJ FO to ERJ FO.

SideFlare
11-05-2018, 10:01 PM
I am a FO at EDV and thinking about making the switch? I hear you guys are a better place

Out of curiosity, why the move? Iíve got friends scratching to get on at EDV... Purely interrogative.

ninerdriver
11-06-2018, 02:02 AM
Out of curiosity, why the move? Iíve got friends scratching to get on at EDV... Purely interrogative.

He's sick of flying a Canadite Regional Jet.

MongoLikeCandy
11-06-2018, 10:17 AM
Hey guys, I’m also an FO at EDV that’s seriously considering making the jump over to you guys. I came here initially in hopes of fast time building, movement and quick upgrade. The pay was nice but not the sole reason why I decided on EDV, I’ll be commuting from North Florida, so their commuter policy and being wholly owned really sold me. Recently it seems like the music has stopped here and the dominate theme is that me, along with everyone hired with me or after, will be sitting in NYC on reserve only flying around 15 hours a month if were lucky, for at least the next year until they finally decide what they want to do about growth. My question for you guys would be if I get hired at Skywest in the near future, which base and airframe is the most junior right now, and most likely out of training. How long FO’s are taking to get to a line and expected flying hours? Ideally I’d like to get to ATL as soon as possible but DTW,MSP, ORD,DFW and IAH would be very doable if I know that I will be flying a lot. Also, does it seem like you guys are gonna get into the overstaffing and long reserve time situation that EDV has gotten into, in the near future. I’d hate to jump over, just to be in the same situation as I am here. Thanks guys.

jpso
11-06-2018, 10:41 AM
Hey guys, Iím also an FO at EDV thatís seriously considering making the jump over to you guys. I came here initially in hopes of fast time building, movement and quick upgrade. The pay was nice but not the sole reason why I decided on EDV, Iíll be commuting from North Florida, so their commuter policy and being wholly owned really sold me. Recently it seems like the music has stopped here and the dominate theme is that me, along with everyone hired with me or after, will be sitting in NYC on reserve only flying around 15 hours a month if were lucky, for at least the next year until they finally decide what they want to do about growth. My question for you guys would be if I get hired at Skywest in the near future, which base and airframe is the most junior right now, and most likely out of training. How long FOís are taking to get to a line and expected flying hours? Ideally Iíd like to get to ATL as soon as possible but DTW,MSP, ORD,DFW and IAH would be very doable if I know that I will be flying a lot. Also, does it seem like you guys are gonna get into the overstaffing and long reserve time situation that EDV has gotten into, in the near future. Iíd hate to jump over, just to be in the same situation as I am here. Thanks guys.

DTW, ORD, MSP can be awarded on the CRJ side while in training. ATL takes 3-4 months from DOH with about (currently) 6 months of reserve; may go down in spring/summer.

I don't foresee a staffing issue unless the fleet shrinks. Our seniority list has maintained around 4660-4700 pilots every month for the last six months. So we're just able to keep up with attrition.

Edit: just wanted to add, training on the CRJ should be around 2 months total (indoc to ioe completed). I flew about 50 hours a month on reserve and didn't ask for it. I'm sure you could get to 70hrs by being "call first" or asking for additional work.

MongoLikeCandy
11-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Thanks for all the info, it makes me feel a lot better about possibly switching over. So if guys are getting awarded MSP,DTW, or ORD in training, does that mean that they’re actually holding a line, if not, how long are they sitting reserve at the most junior bases?

Turbine
11-12-2018, 01:01 PM
Do you guys fly a mix of the CRJ 2, 7 and 9 from one day to the next ?..

Or do you usually fly one series per base ?

word302
11-12-2018, 01:31 PM

Line holders usually stick to the deuce or 7/9. Reserves can get shuffled all over the place.

amcnd
11-12-2018, 01:47 PM

Depends on the base. I stick with 3 days in the 7/9 and then locals in the 200. Thats my favorite setup.

rswitz
11-15-2018, 08:52 PM
Go fly elsewhere. Read the stories of the crew that got fired for simply messing up a go around. FIRED. Go fly somewhere that you won't get fired for making a mistake (and you will make mistakes). Go Jet, Republic, Compass, all better choices...if you'll "upgrade" faster at YX, great, but there's no upgrade if you screw up because Skywest won't have your back.

Where can I find the story?

amcnd
11-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Where can I find the story?

Exactly... they have 3 posts.. and probably havenít done any education on regionals or terminations at all airlines..

Check Complete
11-16-2018, 05:10 AM
Witz is absolutely correct.

The same thing at Republic or Endeavor and they would have kept their job. Their respective contracts have an accepted ASAP provision for job protection, we do not.

Try getting on anywhere after getting fired from here?

From the mouth of the SAPA president himself,”we fired more people than all the regionals combined “.

amcnd
11-16-2018, 06:12 AM
Witz is absolutely correct.

The same thing at Republic or Endeavor and they would have kept their job. Their respective contracts have an accepted ASAP provision for job protection, we do not.

Try getting on anywhere after getting fired from here?

From the mouth of the SAPA president himself,Ēwe fired more people than all the regionals combined ď.

Doubtful.. there is always 10 versions of the story. And we have the same asap program as everyone else... we are also twice to 4 times the size of other Regionals.... so 6 pilots leaving at Air Wisconsin, weather fired or quit, SkyWest equivalent would be 48...

rickair7777
11-16-2018, 07:42 AM
Go fly elsewhere. Read the stories of the crew that got fired for simply messing up a go around. FIRED. Go fly somewhere that you won't get fired for making a mistake (and you will make mistakes). Go Jet, Republic, Compass, all better choices...if you'll "upgrade" faster at YX, great, but there's no upgrade if you screw up because Skywest won't have your back.

:rolleyes:

There has to be far more to the story than that. Nobody gets fired for messing up a go-around.

Probably more like this...

One or both had a discipline track record.

During arrival and approach, gross disregard for sterile, no checklists or briefing.

Unstable approach, go-around, wrong turn with loss of separation.

Screwed up the GA configuration, so flap over-speed followed by altitude bust.

At level off, still have gear and boards out, so stick shaker.

Even better if the flaps are now stuck because of over-speed.

Bottom line, to get fired the CVR had to get pulled. They don't pull the CVR for routine go-arounds or even minor pilot deviations so something must have gone badly wrong to get the CVR in play. Then the CVR revealed gross unprofessionalism. That's how people get fired.

If you make an honest mistake and don't lie about it, you'll be fine.

DarkSideMoon
11-16-2018, 08:03 AM

If weíre thinking of the same story they did a little more than ďmess up a go aroundĒ.

telejet
11-16-2018, 09:54 AM

Funny how all three of your posts are about this same subject... things that make you go hmmmmm.

Fixnem2Flyinem
11-16-2018, 11:12 AM
I was fired, well allowed to resign from SkyWest for a commuting issue. I do have ill feelings towards a few managers at the place and would caution people who will be career commuters to go to a place without commuter clauses. With that being said, SkyWest is a solid place and the training and crews are top notch. Just be careful going to a place where job protections arenít as black and white as a place with a union thatís all

amcnd
11-16-2018, 12:37 PM
I was fired, well allowed to resign from SkyWest for a commuting issue. I do have ill feelings towards a few managers at the place and would caution people who will be career commuters to go to a place without commuter clauses. With that being said, SkyWest is a solid place and the training and crews are top notch. Just be careful going to a place where job protections arenít as black and white as a place with a union thatís all

Same happens at Delta....If your working at the family business in one state and on reserve 2 time zones away. They tend to fire people for that...

ninerdriver
11-16-2018, 01:03 PM
Same happens at Delta....If your working at the family business in one state and on reserve 2 time zones away. They tend to fire people for that...

...because that's a clear violation of a clearly-stated commuter policy.

I'm not saying whether the OO commuter policy is a good one. There's no gray area in that example you just gave, though; that's just a clear NFA.

Turbine
11-16-2018, 03:58 PM
For CRJ pilots at SKW, which series sim is the initial done in? are the 2/7/9 differences just completed with a few extra days ?

Curious because Endeavor requires another complete initial when switching from the 200 to the 900 and vv. Mesa and PSA just do a short differences course for the 200.

amcnd
11-16-2018, 04:24 PM
For CRJ pilots at SKW, which series sim is the initial done in? are the 2/7/9 differences just completed with a few extra days ?

Curious because Endeavor requires another complete initial when switching from the 200 to the 900 and vv. Mesa and PSA just do a short differences course for the 200.

All in the 200. Then after your LOE 2 days 700 differences training. Could be right away. Or half way through ioe, or after... just depends

AFSOCFlyr
11-17-2018, 05:45 AM
All in the 200. Then after your LOE 2 days 700 differences training. Could be right away. Or half way through ioe, or after... just depends

You do the 700 and 900 differences training at different times? Thanks

rickair7777
11-17-2018, 06:39 AM
You do the 700 and 900 differences training at different times? Thanks

No. The ground school differences covers both. The sim is 700 (no 900 sims). Differences OE will done in each airplane separately, the only folks who get the 900 OE will be those who will fly it in their base.

The systems and procedures are essentially the same, just the landing is bit different between 700/900. But they are more similar to each other than to the deuce.

KSCessnaDriver
11-17-2018, 06:49 AM

That's not true. There is no "complete initial" when switching from one airplane to another at 9E, it's a differences course.

hawk21
11-17-2018, 12:23 PM

Thereís 200 pairings, 700 pairings, and 7/900 mixed pairings for Delta.

nate5ks
11-22-2018, 08:01 AM
Hey guys, Iím also an FO at EDV thatís seriously considering making the jump over to you guys. I came here initially in hopes of fast time building, movement and quick upgrade. The pay was nice but not the sole reason why I decided on EDV, Iíll be commuting from North Florida, so their commuter policy and being wholly owned really sold me. Recently it seems like the music has stopped here and the dominate theme is that me, along with everyone hired with me or after, will be sitting in NYC on reserve only flying around 15 hours a month if were lucky, for at least the next year until they finally decide what they want to do about growth. My question for you guys would be if I get hired at Skywest in the near future, which base and airframe is the most junior right now, and most likely out of training. How long FOís are taking to get to a line and expected flying hours? Ideally Iíd like to get to ATL as soon as possible but DTW,MSP, ORD,DFW and IAH would be very doable if I know that I will be flying a lot. Also, does it seem like you guys are gonna get into the overstaffing and long reserve time situation that EDV has gotten into, in the near future. Iíd hate to jump over, just to be in the same situation as I am here. Thanks guys.

Curious, what part of N FL are you in? I plan to move back to Jacksonville when Iím out of the navy and was looking at either Skywest or Endeavor because it seems like it would be easier to commute with them than some of the other regionals. It would be nice to see how some other commuters from Jax like it.

dera
11-23-2018, 10:12 AM
There has to be far more to the story than that. Nobody gets fired for messing up a go-around.

Probably more like this...

Think messed up go-around, and throw in some GPWS and stick shaker in there, and you're close.
The way the story was told to me, it was probably the closest anyone has been to crashing a plane in 121 carrying pax since Colgan.

jtsastre
11-23-2018, 11:55 AM
Think messed up go-around, and throw in some GPWS and stick shaker in there, and you're close.
The way the story was told to me, it was probably the closest anyone has been to crashing a plane in 121 carrying pax since Colgan.

I wonder if they hadnít crashed if that crew would have been fired.

dera
11-23-2018, 09:15 PM

Very likely. The CVR transcript is a pretty horrible read.

Check Complete
11-24-2018, 06:25 AM
I think firing the culprits is the best way of getting rid of the problem, you know they're going to do it again? Probably did it on purpose!

Don't take the situation and find the causal factors and develop a learning situation from it, Noooooooo!

Ya, just fire them, that willl fix it!

TimetoClimb
11-24-2018, 08:13 AM
I think firing the culprits is the best way of getting rid of the problem, you know they're going to do it again? Probably did it on purpose!

Don't take the situation and find the causal factors and develop a learning situation from it, Noooooooo!

Ya, just fire them, that willl fix it!

You can't coddle the weak

Check Complete
11-24-2018, 08:20 AM
You can't coddle the weak

Probably right, nice to have meet someone thatís never made a mistake.

Do you wear a fifth stripe too that displays your awesomeness?

DarkSideMoon
11-24-2018, 08:26 AM
Probably right, nice to have meet someone thatís never made a mistake.

Do you wear a fifth stripe too that displays your awesomeness?

Thereís a difference between ďmaking a mistakeĒ and being completely inept in an airplane.

This isnít the minor leagues anymore. I donít care if they didnít do it on purpose. Peopleís lives and the livelihoods of thousands of aviation professionals are in the balance.

Sure, people will make mistakes, but a series of huge mistakes that display a total lack of basic airmanship is worth firing someone over, in my opinion. You canít stick them in the sim for 5 sessions and magically beat that poor of a level of decision making and situational awareness out of them.

rickair7777
11-24-2018, 09:57 AM

Not back then. They needed mass fatalities to end the race to the bottom.

rickair7777
11-24-2018, 09:59 AM
Very likely. The CVR transcript is a pretty horrible read.

I'm guessing gross disregard for professionalism, vice momentary error.

Check Complete
11-24-2018, 11:24 AM
Thereís a difference between ďmaking a mistakeĒ and being completely inept in an airplane.

This isnít the minor leagues anymore. I donít care if they didnít do it on purpose. Peopleís lives and the livelihoods of thousands of aviation professionals are in the balance.

Sure, people will make mistakes, but a series of huge mistakes that display a total lack of basic airmanship is worth firing someone over, in my opinion. You canít stick them in the sim for 5 sessions and magically beat that poor of a level of decision making and situational awareness out of them.

I have seen exceptional pilots make big mistakes, as have I (not saying I'm an exceptional pilot). But the tone now is to just fire those that make a mistake. Ours being a situation of no real representation.

I'm nearing the latter part of my career and hope I can get to the end unscathed.

I would gather you are either greatly gifted, or near retirement, or possibly unaware how things can go quickly wrong.

Good luck.......

DarkSideMoon
11-24-2018, 12:42 PM
I have seen exceptional pilots make big mistakes, as have I (not saying I'm an exceptional pilot). But the tone now is to just fire those that make a mistake. Ours being a situation of no real representation.

I'm nearing the latter part of my career and hope I can get to the end unscathed.

I would gather you are either greatly gifted, or near retirement, or possibly unaware how things can go quickly wrong.

Good luck.......

Iíve made plenty of mistakes. None of which were remotely close to as bad as the ones in that incident. They didnít make one mistake, they made a cascading series of several that couldíve very easily killed everyone on board. All while in a perfectly good airplane in relatively benign weather.

This wasnít simply missing a notam or blowing an altitude or landing a little hard/long. Those are mistakes I have made or come close to making. What was described was a total degradation of basic instrument flying. Based on what I read I would be livid if my family was in the back of an airplane piloted by those two.

If there were other extenuating factors Iím unaware of Iíd love to hear them.

TimetoClimb
11-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Good luck.......

I agree that it should be evaluated on a case by case basis but the difference between a flap misconfig and sucessful rto, or a runway incursion, while potentially catastrophic, are still orders of magnitude less severe than a very near cfit in a working aircraft with 2 highly trained crew. Idk the details so I won't monday morning qb anymore but obscured terrain is my biggest fear in aviation. Therefore exercise triple caution and recite the GA procedure in your head until its basically repeating in your brain during the final segment. That's my technique atleast.

DarkSideMoon
11-24-2018, 01:00 PM
I agree that it should be evaluated on a case by case basis but the difference between a flap misconfig and sucessful rto, or a runway incursion, while potentially catastrophic, are still orders of magnitude less severe than a very near cfit in a working aircraft with 2 highly trained crew. Idk the details so I won't monday morning qb anymore but obscured terrain is my biggest fear in aviation. Therefore exercise triple caution and recite the GA procedure in your head until its basically repeating in your brain during the final segment. That's my technique atleast.

Or just hit toga, white needles, and follow Mr. Magenta and glance over at the chart to confirm.

Check Complete
11-24-2018, 05:30 PM
What you don't know is who has done what, while some in management have done something similar and worse, some in not in management have been fired.

it's not a level playing field. I think it should.

TimetoClimb
11-25-2018, 11:53 AM
Or just hit toga, white needles, and follow Mr. Magenta and glance over at the chart to confirm.

I mean for saat level 4

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1