Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Thinking about a captain upgrade

pilotnmech
11-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Has anybody upgraded on the CRJ recently? If so, could I get some info on exactly the kind of stuff I'd need to know cold and what I'd need to study? TIA.

JuniorFO
11-05-2018, 01:42 AM
Has anybody upgraded on the CRJ recently? If so, could I get some info on exactly the kind of stuff I'd need to know cold and what I'd need to study? TIA.

(facepalm)

160to4
11-05-2018, 02:09 AM
Pilotnmech,

I have to be honest here, would you be asking your aircraft what kind of faults/failures itís going to throw at you today before you go flying?

calmwinds
11-05-2018, 03:09 AM
By now you should know your aircraft, spend some time knowing the GOM or you will never be asked a single question about your aircraft. I assume you are asking these questions on the line and getting these same answers.

No Land 3
11-05-2018, 03:58 AM
This applies to any airline upgrade;
1. Captain flows and callouts
2. Deeper understanding of systems
3. Deeper understanding of GOM
4. Better decision making for all situations imaginable
5. Command and leadership skills are shown
6. No doubt is given about your abilities to safely operate as a CA with peoples loved ones in the back.

Given this criteria, it is easy to see why upgrading is a "choice" that an individual makes.

bnkangle
11-05-2018, 04:58 AM
Its got 2 engines and they burn Jet A.

chrisreedrules
11-05-2018, 06:06 AM
OPís post is cringeworthy...

No Land 3
11-05-2018, 07:30 AM
OPís post is cringeworthy...

I think he was asking for a current gouge, which there's nothing wrong about asking for, as one would like to prioritize their study material. We all know you need to know everything, just that some stuff needs to be more fresh on day one. At least I think that was the intent of the OP's post.

P Owed Captain
11-05-2018, 02:31 PM
I think he was asking for a current gouge, which there's nothing wrong about asking for, as one would like to prioritize their study material. We all know you need to know everything, just that some stuff needs to be more fresh on day one. At least I think that was the intent of the OP's post.

My thoughts as well, but most of you felt the need to be total A holes to the guy!

chrisreedrules
11-05-2018, 03:24 PM
I guess I just donít understand how they could be asking about upgrade and in the same sentence ask what they need to, ďknow coldĒ...

pilotnmech
11-09-2018, 01:43 PM
I guess the gods have spoken. I need to brush up on ass-holery. Got it.

badflaps
11-09-2018, 01:47 PM
I guess the gods have spoken. I need to brush up on ass-holery. Got it.

First rule of upgrade: Don't pay attention to weenies, they were just testing you.:D