Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : ERJ LGA reserve?

MrFriendly7
11-06-2018, 12:15 PM
How long are new hire FOís on reserve at LGA? How many hes a month can I expect to fly? Is there hot reserve where I have to sit at airport or 2 hr call? Thanks

savedbythevnav
11-06-2018, 12:56 PM
It depends on a few things, but usually 3-4 months. Standard 2 hour callout. You can be assigned ready reserve (airport standby, hot standby, whatever you wanna call it) as well. Stand-alone shifts are 8 hours at the airport. 20 minute call out.

Ready reserve is only a temporary agreement between the company and SAPA. It'll go away as soon as the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake are over...they promise. :D

MrFriendly7
11-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Ready reserve sounds horrible lol. How many hrs a month are bew hire foís flying at LGA?

savedbythevnav
11-06-2018, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of it when I was on reserve either. You'll find all the good shoe shine spots in the airport at least.

I'm not in LGA, but it sounds like 20-30 hours a month at most for the reserve guys. Lineholders average 70-80 hours.

MrFriendly7
11-06-2018, 01:15 PM
I got CJO from Skywest and Republic. So very confused. The 2.5 month training delay has me thinking Skywest. But ready reserve stinks. Also culture at Skywest seems better. I want LGA have family there. Both can get me that. Training seems better too at Skywest. My buddy at RAH is happy and wants me there. But looking at Glassdoor alot more positive reviews for Skywest.

savedbythevnav
11-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Depends what you're looking for. I have good friends at RAH too, they seem happy there. In some respects I feel our work rules are better, and in others I think theirs are better. All airlines have some give and take, I haven't found a perfect one yet.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about OO.

MrFriendly7
11-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Depends what you're looking for. I have good friends at RAH too, they seem happy there. In some respects I feel our work rules are better, and in others I think theirs are better. All airlines have some give and take, I haven't found a perfect one yet.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions about OO.

Thanks bud. Am I making a bad decision on the ERJ class at LGA if I want to fly and upgrade within 2 years?

word302
11-06-2018, 02:18 PM
I got CJO from Skywest and Republic. So very confused. The 2.5 month training delay has me thinking Skywest. But ready reserve stinks. Also culture at Skywest seems better. I want LGA have family there. Both can get me that. Training seems better too at Skywest. My buddy at RAH is happy and wants me there. But looking at Glassdoor alot more positive reviews for Skywest.

Honestly I think the LGA base at OO is going to have a short life. If a NY base is what you want, I would go to RAH.

MrFriendly7
11-06-2018, 02:19 PM
Honestly I think the LGA base at OO is going to have a short life. If a NY base is what you want, I would go to RAH.

Why do you say that. I thought 12 years contract for LGA base.
Also if base didnt matter which would you pick and why?

word302
11-06-2018, 02:22 PM
Why do you say that. I thought 12 years contract for LGA base.
Also if base didnt matter which would you pick and why?

12 years for the planes, not the base. If you're on the East coast I would choose RAH. They're contract is better at almost every step of the way.

savedbythevnav
11-06-2018, 02:25 PM

FWIW, I ran into a certain VP that will remain nameless that claims that flying is here to stay and that we can expect some DL 175 flying on the west coast "soon"

VP's are never full of sh*t of course :p

FlyingDawgg
11-06-2018, 06:06 PM
I think most of those reviews are flight attendants complaining. I could be wrong.

If you wan't east coast I'd go RAH for sure.

jpso
11-07-2018, 02:17 AM
If you're wanting LGA and the 175, go to YX. The future of OO's LGA base is questionable.

rswitz
11-07-2018, 05:36 AM
I did 2 months reserve in LGA before holding a line in SLC. Over those two months in LGA I averaged around 60 hours / month and only sat ready reserve once.

May 2018 hire.

MrFriendly7
11-07-2018, 08:32 AM
I did 2 months reserve in LGA before holding a line in SLC. Over those two months in LGA I averaged around 60 hours / month and only sat ready reserve once.

May 2018 hire.

Good to know. Are you happy with Skywest?

amcnd
11-08-2018, 07:10 AM
If you're wanting LGA and the 175, go to YX. The future of OO's LGA base is questionable.

Considering there is a class full of LGA ERJ check airman going on right now. I would say were there to stay...

word302
11-08-2018, 08:06 AM
Considering there is a class full of LGA ERJ check airman going on right now. I would say were there to stay...

That really doesn't mean anything. How many of them have their transfer bid in?

savedbythevnav
11-09-2018, 05:37 AM
The future of OO's LGA base is questionable.

I hope so. Get us the hell out of this godforsaken place.

baronbvp
11-09-2018, 05:39 AM
If Amazon does indeed move part of HQ2 to Queens, my guess is that LGA will see increased traffic. Look at what they did to Sea-Tac.

sn00p
11-09-2018, 06:54 AM
I hope so. Get us the hell out of this godforsaken place.

Canít imagine many tears being shed over LGA closing. :D

KSCessnaDriver
11-09-2018, 07:35 AM
If Amazon does indeed move part of HQ2 to Queens, my guess is that LGA will see increased traffic. Look at what they did to Sea-Tac.

You do realize that LGA is slot controlled, right? You can't just show up and add flights. The only increase in traffic will be from upgrading aircraft to larger planes.

flydiamond
11-09-2018, 08:41 AM
You do realize that LGA is slot controlled, right? You can't just show up and add flights. The only increase in traffic will be from upgrading aircraft to larger planes.

Bring on the A220s!

knewyork
11-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Culture at RAH is fine. In fact Iíd say ours has been better than Skywest the past few years. We also work way less than they do.

savedbythevnav
11-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Culture at RAH is fine. In fact Iíd say ours has been better than Skywest the past few years. We also work way less than they do.

But..but...Chip told me we are the best in the industry!!!!!!

darkman62
11-15-2018, 09:01 AM
Any rumors about EDV going away ? I wish they would, the pilots all have attitudes against us. I donít understand this the reason we are taking all the flying is that we are obviously better. They really need to that attitude

sn00p
11-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Any rumors about EDV going away ? I wish they would, the pilots all have attitudes against us. I donít understand this the reason we are taking all the flying is that we are obviously better. They really need to that attitude

Ellll ohhhh elllll terrible attempt at trolling. Step that game up and try again.

ninerdriver
11-15-2018, 09:33 AM
Ellll ohhhh elllll terrible attempt at trolling. Step that game up and try again.

Can I try?

What's with all these Endeavor pilots flying from the Midwest to LaGuardia so fast? ATC keeps asking what their Mach is, and they use all these crazy huge numbers like "Mach 77". Sometimes, they even say "Mach 80". I thought it was illegal to go that fast?? A0 is for losers, and LGA sux anyway!!!

Was that better? ;)

word302
11-15-2018, 10:12 AM

Yeah, I can't imagine why they have an attitude towards us /s.

sn00p
11-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Can I try?

What's with all these Endeavor pilots flying from the Midwest to LaGuardia so fast? ATC keeps asking what their Mach is, and they use all these crazy huge numbers like "Mach 77". Sometimes, they even say "Mach 80". I thought it was illegal to go that fast?? A0 is for losers, and LGA sux anyway!!!

Was that better? ;)

Not to far from the truth there.

<3

TimetoClimb
11-15-2018, 05:52 PM
FWIW, LGA rsr saying the base could grow substantially if not for FA staffing issues. Can we stop the doom and gloom it's closing is imminent. DL wants us there.

rswitz
11-15-2018, 09:03 PM
Good to know. Are you happy with Skywest?

So far, yes. I'm able to drop and pick up a good amount of trips, which is huge for me. Having this kind of schedule control really helps QOL. Our flying is varied. On a 4 day you can see both coasts. Our new pay package is pretty good, especially for new FOs.

At the end of the day, it's a regional. I chose OO mainly for the base options out west and the historical stability of the company. They seem to treat people well. Haven't wronged me yet.

sn00p
11-16-2018, 03:59 AM
FWIW, LGA rsr saying the base could grow substantially if not for FA staffing issues. Can we stop the doom and gloom it's closing is imminent. DL wants us there.

El ohhh elll I donít think itís ďdoom and gloomĒ when so many people are rooting for it to close, instead Iíd say that rumor is optimism :D

TimetoClimb
11-16-2018, 07:02 AM
El ohhh elll I donít think itís ďdoom and gloomĒ when so many people are rooting for it to close, instead Iíd say that rumor is optimism :D

Yes and it's pretty effing shortsighted. Maybe there isn't anymore flying to be had on the west coast at this point...did that thought ever cross thier peanut brains?? The company went where there was. Guys wanting to cannablize their own because they believe it will magically produce new opportunity in thier domicile are brooding, jealous individuals that can't enough of that schadenfruede.

And one more thing...anyone who thinks the west coast is some sort of Valhalla and takes pride solely on the basis of it's geography, is probably a myopic twat that is too afraid to set foot outside this country.

ninerdriver
11-16-2018, 08:19 AM
Man... and he's not even an Endeavor troll.

sn00p
11-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Man... and he's not even an Endeavor troll.

I gotta admit that was pretty good. :D

Solitaire
11-20-2018, 07:20 AM
Hi all - I have a question as someone very new to this process. What does a typical month look like for a first year FO at LGA? I am contemplating flying for SkyWest out of LGA, but I have a very large and full-time obligation with the company I started. I can take a few days off a month and work weekends, if I know my schedule ahead of time, but im concerned by reading these posts that it may be more than the 8 days a month (including weekends) I was expecting.

Is there another location, airline, or corporate job that may have the schedule flexibility Iím looking for instead?

Thank you

V1Rot8t
11-20-2018, 07:28 AM
Hi all - I have a question as someone very new to this process. What does a typical month look like for a first year FO at LGA? I am contemplating flying for SkyWest out of LGA, but I have a very large and full-time obligation with the company I started. I can take a few days off a month and work weekends, if I know my schedule ahead of time, but im concerned by reading these posts that it may be more than the 8 days a month (including weekends) I was expecting.

Is there another location, airline, or corporate job that may have the schedule flexibility Iím looking for instead?

Thank you

If you need 22 days off per month, I dont think any regional or airline job is going to work for you. As a first year FO your going to have 2-3 months of training where you have very little time to do anything else, then you will sit reserve for some period of time until you hold a line. As a lineholder, I would expect to work up to 18 days per month, although with a little seniority I have talked to guys that are holding 17 days off per month. But nothing close to 22 days off. You may should look for a local part-time corporate gig that isn't flying very much and needs some help from time to time.

zondaracer
11-20-2018, 07:33 AM

Thank you

Expect to be fully consumed with a SkyWest 100% for your first three months. Once on reserve, expect to commit 18 days a month to being on call. I have know people to work a second job while on reserve, but their employer understood that they could be called to work. Iíve had months where I was called every single day of reserve, and months where I hardly was called. It varies wildly. As a line holder, you can expect to work 14-19 days a month.

Some people, with decent seniority, bid all standups which allows you to fly in the evening and be done by early morning. I know several who do this and work full time real estate jobs during the day.

You sound like you are looking more for a part time corporate flying job.

Hawk739
02-20-2019, 04:48 PM
How long is reserve in LGA this days ?

word302
02-20-2019, 04:49 PM
How long is reserve in LGA this days ?

Hard to say as it's the new dumping ground for new ERJ FOs.

Hawk739
02-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Hard to say as it's the new dumping ground for new ERJ FOs.

Iím looking to be based either LGA or MSP what ever equipment gives me a line first works for me.

Erj135dude
02-20-2019, 05:53 PM
Iím looking to be based either LGA or MSP what ever equipment gives me a line first works for me.

No ERJs at MSP, just CRJ. (as far as I know)

word302
02-20-2019, 06:02 PM

Currently looks like MSP CRJ would be fastest but things are changing quickly.

N1CEandEZ
02-21-2019, 02:24 AM

If you donít mind holding out in LGA you probably wonít be on reserve that long. I was on reserve only about a month and a half before I was able to hold a line.

Hawk739
02-21-2019, 05:19 AM
If you donít mind holding out in LGA you probably wonít be on reserve that long. I was on reserve only about a month and a half before I was able to hold a line.

I donít as my commute to LGA would be super easy. I would like to stay at LGA and upgrade there.

sn00p
02-21-2019, 05:28 AM
I donít as my commute to LGA would be super easy. I would like to stay at LGA and upgrade there.

Gonna be a bit to upgrade there... Not as junior as one might think. There has not been a junior upgrade there since summer 18 FYI.

Hawk739
02-21-2019, 05:41 AM
Gonna be a bit to upgrade there... Not as junior as one might think. There has not been a junior upgrade there since summer 18 FYI.

Iím expecting like 3 years. Is that about right ?

Claxstarr
02-21-2019, 07:06 AM

Looks to be a couple months short of 3 years for upgrade in LGA.

Hawk739
02-21-2019, 09:17 AM

That would be doable... so what does LGA has so bad that it is notorious among pilots ?

amcnd
02-21-2019, 09:49 AM
That would be doable... so what does LGA has so bad that it is notorious among pilots ?

Look at the last 4 letters of the airline name.. that being said. New DVR out. Looks like DEN/COS/SLC/LAX and big DTW growth. So people should be be able to push more ďWestĒ...

Hawk739
02-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Look at the last 4 letters of the airline name.. that being said. New DVR out. Looks like DEN/COS/SLC/LAX and big DTW growth. So people should be be able to push more ďWestĒ...

What DVR stands for

TimetoClimb
02-21-2019, 10:22 AM

This is indicative of growth in lines right? Not vacanies as a result of attrition ... if I understand correctly? I wonder why dtw is still growing...are they getting the 900 atmospheres?

TimetoClimb
02-21-2019, 10:30 AM

Keep in mind there is some doubt as to the long term outlook of the base. The delta contract is short term (2.5 yrs left) and the a220 has already taken a route or two.
Delta wants the 175 on the coasts but time will only tell if it's us doing that flying out east.

DVR stands for domicile vacancy report.

word302
02-21-2019, 10:55 AM
This is indicative of growth in lines right? Not vacanies as a result of attrition ... if I understand correctly? I wonder why dtw is still growing...are they getting the 900 atmospheres?

I imagine there is an exodus of junior guys out of DTW as soon as they can hold any other base.

Hawk739
02-21-2019, 10:56 AM
Keep in mind there is some doubt as to the long term outlook of the base. The delta contract is short term (2.5 yrs left) and the a220 has already taken a route or two.
Delta wants the 175 on the coasts but time will only tell if it's us doing that flying out east.

DVR stands for domicile vacancy report.

Yes Iíve being reading about the longevity of the base. In that case CRJ out of MSP sounds like more solid and stable.

Letís say I pick E175 and If LGA closes can I just request to stay at ORD?

word302
02-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Yes Iíve being reading about the longevity of the base. In that case CRJ out of MSP sounds like more solid and stable.

Letís say I pick E175 and If LGA closes can I just request to stay at ORD?

That would be the most likely scenario.

Hawk739
02-21-2019, 11:15 AM
That would be the most likely scenario.

Well my interview is in April. Letís see what they have to offer, hopefully there are some 175 slots available

word302
02-21-2019, 11:24 AM
Well my interview is in April. Letís see what they have to offer, hopefully there are some 175 slots available

Unless we see some growth, the CRJ will net you a much faster upgrade in much more stable bases.

Hawk739
02-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Unless we see some growth, the CRJ will net you a much faster upgrade in much more stable bases.

And more hours per month right ?

word302
02-21-2019, 11:31 AM
And more hours per month right ?

Definitely. Hold a line faster.

Hawk739
02-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Definitely. Hold a line faster.

Thanks! Iíll keep that in mind!

sn00p
02-21-2019, 12:41 PM

The plug has been the plug since summer 2018.

Doesnít look like itís going below 3 years anytime soon for ERJ. If anything itís going up on each vacancy. Itís a moving target for now, but good news is a lot changes in 3 years...

shrsailplanes
02-27-2019, 04:50 AM
I have been on reserve with OO for the month of February and have only sat for 4-1/2 days. I have been on multi-day trips for the rest. Fingers crossed that keeps up for the month of March. Itís my understanding that LGA is pretty short on reserves. I also bid RE2 for 9AM-9PM. Most days I am the only PM guy on for the day and I think that helps me get trips as well. I live in SAN so I negotiate an early release with crew scheduling on my last day to make the 4:59 flight home out of JFK. Looking at the standing bids above me in LGA, Iím guessing 6 months on reserve before I hold a line.

Also, some senior FOís are getting wise to the benefits of LGA since it is so junior. They can transfer to LGA and hold a line immediately where they may still be on reserve at their current base. The thinking is they can now drop trips in LGA and pick up open time in their ďHome base.Ē That works out well if LGA wasnít short on reserves. So, not sure if thatís gonna work all the time. Also, senior people moving in push people like me down the list which kinda stinks.

Hawk739
02-27-2019, 06:07 AM
I have been on reserve with OO for the month of February and have only sat for 4-1/2 days. I have been on multi-day trips for the rest. Fingers crossed that keeps up for the month of March. Itís my understanding that LGA is pretty short on reserves. I also bid RE2 for 9AM-9PM. Most days I am the only PM guy on for the day and I think that helps me get trips as well. I live in SAN so I negotiate an early release with crew scheduling on my last day to make the 4:59 flight home out of JFK. Looking at the standing bids above me in LGA, Iím guessing 6 months on reserve before I hold a line.

Also, some senior FOís are getting wise to the benefits of LGA since it is so junior. They can transfer to LGA and hold a line immediately where they may still be on reserve at their current base. The thinking is they can now drop trips in LGA and pick up open time in their ďHome base.Ē That works out well if LGA wasnít short on reserves. So, not sure if thatís gonna work all the time. Also, senior people moving in push people like me down the list which kinda stinks.

So you are flying like, lets say, 40-50 hours a month while on reserve?

Wow 6 months to hold a line, I thought it was going to be less because of how junior it is, but makes sense what you explained about senior guys moving to LGA.

word302
02-27-2019, 06:24 AM

Wow 6 months to hold a line, I thought it was going to be less because of how junior it is, but makes sense what you explained about senior guys moving to LGA.

You have to understand LGA is where they are dumping all new hires. Currently there are twice as many FOs there as captains. They are likely planning for some future growth and it's much easier to move reserves west than east. This is the same phenomena that happened in ORD a couple years ago. The junior ERJ base gets severely overstaffed.

N1CEandEZ
Looking at our reserve numbers for next month we have more than Iíve seen in a while in LGA. Also 100+ on the seniority list for FOs, a lot of whom are in training of course, but Iím guessing we should see some more flying here soon.

shrsailplanes

I think the biggest factor is that most people that currently hold a line donít have a standing bid to move out. Holding a line is a pretty powerful motivator to stay put. So once you are near the top of the reserve list, things start moving much more slowly. Itís either attrition or upgrade that helps you move at that point. I flew 47 hours in February which includes the 4 day Iím about to fly starting today.

word302
02-27-2019, 06:28 AM
Looking at our reserve numbers for next month we have more than Iíve seen in a while in LGA. Also 100+ on the seniority list for FOs, a lot of whom are in training of course, but Iím guessing we should see some more flying here soon.

If more flying were coming to LGA you'd see more captains getting awarded. They have to go through training as well. LGA is just the holding zone for FOs for growth at other bases.

N1CEandEZ
02-27-2019, 06:32 AM
If more flying were coming to LGA you'd see more captains getting awarded. They have to go through training as well. LGA is just the holding zone for FOs for growth at other bases.

Iím sure you are right about it being a holding zone but Iím not necessarily referring to growth in the long term but in the short term for increased summer flying.

word302
02-27-2019, 07:16 AM
Iím sure you are right about it being a holding zone but Iím not necessarily referring to growth in the long term but in the short term for increased summer flying.

Again, where are the captain awards? It takes just as long to train a new captain.

shrsailplanes
02-27-2019, 07:43 AM
Again, where are the captain awards? It takes just as long to train a new captain.

If Iím using the website right, looks like there were 29 upgrades last month in the ERJ.

TimetoClimb
02-27-2019, 07:50 AM
If I’m using the website right, looks like there were 29 upgrades last month in the ERJ.

Maybe 29 awards but only 2 were upgrades. Plug award was 4 yrs seniority. Plan on the CRJ for upgrade.

Utah
02-27-2019, 08:13 AM
The latest DVR had no increase in the number of captains at LGA. Holding at 62 with over 100 first officers.

If there was going to be an increase in summer flying they would have sent the upgrades to class in March or April. They are awarding the April classes now but the only awards for LGA captain will probably be to replace those transferring out.

Now the DVR is only a rough estimate of what they award... you never really now until all of the awards are done.

word302
02-27-2019, 08:38 AM
If Iím using the website right, looks like there were 29 upgrades last month in the ERJ.

That was mostly transitions. I'm not saying there isn't more flying coming, I just don't think it will be in LGA. They would be awarding upgrades if that were the case. LGA positions are the hardest to fill for the CA side. Most everyone who WANTS to be there is already there. Take a look at how many captains are trying to bid out of LGA.

shrsailplanes
03-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Base awards came out. Just got bumped down 4 spots from senior guys moving into LGA. Iím just trying to hold a line. Must really stink for line holders that get pushed into reserve again.

sn00p
03-01-2019, 10:07 AM
Base awards came out. Just got bumped down 4 spots from senior guys moving into LGA. Iím just trying to hold a line. Must really stink for line holders that get pushed into reserve again.

Elll oh elll the insanity!!!!:D ;)

word302
03-01-2019, 11:00 AM

Summer's coming. Everyone will have lines.

shrsailplanes
03-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Summer's coming. Everyone will have lines.

That is a lofty statement that I feel wouldnít come true.

word302
03-01-2019, 09:37 PM

You must be new

amcnd
03-02-2019, 05:37 AM

You underestimate the power of summer flying....

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1