Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Hawaii weight restricted?

sMFer
11-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Alaska peeps...hoping to get my wife and I over to KOA this Sat outta OAK. Right now loads look good, but wondering how often, if ever, those flights are weight restricted. TIA..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

VirginEskimo
11-07-2018, 12:57 PM
You might want to look at buyinga pass on Hawaiian to keep in your hip pocket. They have that A321 NEO or the A330 which will never have a problem getting to Hawaii. (I recommend the night Manta Ray snorkeling and the Kohala
Coast irrigation ditch flume rides) Have fun!

Singlecoil
11-07-2018, 01:42 PM
I've never heard of weight restrictions out of the bay area. It happens from SEA and PDX sometimes.

OCCP
11-07-2018, 05:03 PM
The 737 is a superior aircraft and puts airbus to shame every single day, even though it needs a stick up it’s butt to stay level at the gate. It shouldn’t be weight restricted. It’s better than an Airbus, just ask Alaska!

sMFer
11-07-2018, 05:18 PM
You might want to look at buyinga pass on Hawaiian to keep in your hip pocket. They have that A321 NEO or the A330 which will never have a problem getting to Hawaii. (I recommend the night Manta Ray snorkeling and the Kohala

Coast irrigation ditch flume rides) Have fun!

Manga Ray is on the list for sure...we have a few options in our back pocket but you can’t beat a nonstop. Right now there are 28 open, so thinking we should be ok..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sMFer
11-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Manga Ray is on the list for sure...we have a few options in our back pocket but you can’t beat a nonstop. Right now there are 28 open, so thinking we should be ok..

Since I wrote it, I have to ask myself...what’s a Manga Ray?

symbian simian
11-07-2018, 08:14 PM
Alaska peeps...hoping to get my wife and I over to KOA this Sat outta OAK. Right now loads look good, but wondering how often, if ever, those flights are weight restricted. TIA..

Yeah, whatever happens, NEVER say to your wife:”Sorry honey, we can’t get on the plane, you are too heavy”

sMFer
11-07-2018, 09:26 PM
Yeah, whatever happens, NEVER say to your wife:”Sorry honey, we can’t get on the plane, you are too heavy”I do refer to her 103 lb. frame as Saddle Bags...

awax
11-07-2018, 09:36 PM
If you dive, I highly recommended doing the Manta Dive with Jack’s Diving Locker on Ali’i (Behind Humpy’s).

Manga Rays are Japanese Mantas

akaviator
11-08-2018, 07:37 AM

If you have the opportunity, go eat at Humpy's. It's the sister restaurant to our very own in Anchorage.

VirginEskimo
11-08-2018, 10:23 AM
If you have the opportunity, go eat at Humpy's. It's the sister restaurant to our very own in Anchorage.

Hmmm. I hate disagree but I guess i'll interject. We ate at Humpy's and found it to be a really cheesy tourist trap. I'd avoid downtown Kona unless you really like the Waikiki vibe. I was amazed at how similar to Waikiki it's become.

If you do the Manta Ray Dive (or any other activities) I do not recommend booking through Airbnb (unless you want an actual Airbnb). It was impossible for us to contact the tour operator without using the website and almost got left behind at the dock. Other guests did get left behind because they couldn't find the boat and had no way to contact the operator. The operators said Airbnb makes it really hard. The tour was great though! Also, another plug for the flume ride. The Kohala Coast is absolutely awesome!

akaviator
11-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Hmmm. I hate disagree but I guess i'll interject. We ate at Humpy's and found it to be a really cheesy tourist trap. I'd avoid downtown Kona unless you really like the Waikiki vibe. I was amazed at how similar to Waikiki it's become.

If you do the Manta Ray Dive (or any other activities) I do not recommend booking through Airbnb (unless you want an actual Airbnb). It was impossible for us to contact the tour operator without using the website and almost got left behind at the dock. Other guests did get left behind because they couldn't find the boat and had no way to contact the operator. The operators said Airbnb makes it really hard. The tour was great though! Also, another plug for the flume ride. The Kohala Coast is absolutely awesome!

Sorry to hear that the island Humpy's didn't live up to the northern version for you! Aloha!

Singlecoil
11-08-2018, 02:59 PM
I ate at the ANC one on Monday. They’ve gone downhill in my opinion. I used to love their food, but my Humpy burger arrived cold and the fries were way different (not in a good way) than they used to be. The “grilled” onions and peppers looked like they came out of a jar. I don’t plan on eating there again, which kind of bums me out as it used to be my go to spot up there. I had a better burger and way better fries at Matanuska Brewing (formerly the Anchorage Ale House).

VirginEskimo
11-08-2018, 06:23 PM
I ate at the ANC one on Monday. They’ve gone downhill in my opinion. I used to love their food, but my Humpy burger arrived cold and the fries were way different (not in a good way) than they used to be. The “grilled” onions and peppers looked like they came out of a jar. I don’t plan on eating there again, which kind of bums me out as it used to be my go to spot up there. I had a better burger and way better fries at Matanuska Brewing (formerly the Anchorage Ale House).

Sad that businesses with hard-won reputations let their standards slip over time. It can happen in all kinds of industries.

tomgoodman
11-08-2018, 08:37 PM
I hope the Snow City Cafe is still thriving in ANC. :)

Snow City Cafe | Award-Winning Breakfast and Lunch | Anchorage, Alaska (http://www.snowcitycafe.com/home)

JamesNoBrakes
11-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Humpies is on it's last legs and hasn't been any kind of place to hit up for years.

Go to the 49th State, it's a bit pricey, but worth it and they try pretty hard.

Outdoors
11-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Humpies is on it's last legs and hasn't been any kind of place to hit up for years.

Go to the 49th State, it's a bit pricey, but worth it and they try pretty hard.

Yep 49th is great

vagabond
11-08-2018, 10:10 PM
AS 860 might have weight issues tonight. It's all that poke, musubi, udon, mochi, lau lau, adobo, bibimbap, pho, banh mi.

Sad, but I would do it all over again. ;)

Packrat
11-09-2018, 08:49 AM
Had a F/A friend who had her credit card number stolen at Humpy's ANC. Always pay cash in there.

DenainaPilot
11-09-2018, 10:47 PM
I hope the Snow City Cafe is still thriving in ANC. :)

Snow City Cafe | Award-Winning Breakfast and Lunch | Anchorage, Alaska (http://www.snowcitycafe.com/home)

Snow City is still really good, every time I’ve gone there has been a wait.