Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : CFI study buddy SoCal?

Knudiee
11-09-2018, 08:11 PM
Is anyone here in Southern California training to be a CFI and need a study buddy? Iím really struggling to get this done by myself. Iím drowning in it and feel stuck. I have no one to bounce ideas off of.

Iím in Fallbrook, San Diego county.

kaputt
11-12-2018, 08:02 PM
I'm up in LA, so probably a little too far away. But just wanted to let you know you're not the only one feeling overwhelmed. I work full time and I'm trying to do my CFI on the side and it is brutal.

Best of luck!

Never2Late
11-13-2018, 05:08 PM
Im in North Los Angeles (near the fires!), checkride scheduled for Dec 1 for the CFII and 23rd of December for the CFI-A, I was told its MUCH easier to do it that way. What part are you getting hung up on?

Knudiee
11-17-2018, 09:21 PM
I'm up in LA, so probably a little too far away. But just wanted to let you know you're not the only one feeling overwhelmed. I work full time and I'm trying to do my CFI on the side and it is brutal.

Best of luck!

Yeah a bit too far, bummer! Thanks for the kind words! Best of luck to you as well.

Knudiee
11-17-2018, 09:25 PM
Im in North Los Angeles (near the fires!), checkride scheduled for Dec 1 for the CFII and 23rd of December for the CFI-A, I was told its MUCH easier to do it that way. What part are you getting hung up on?

Sorry, I just saw your reply.
Nice! Stay safe!
I guess just the learning how to teach is the hardest for me. I donít know what to expect on the ride, I wouldnít be able to teach any lessons verbatim. I heard some examiners just want you to ďteach without reference to your plansĒ Iíve also heard some allow you to ďreferenceĒ them. I donít know at all.

Did you make your own lesson plans, or did you purchase them?

tnalkire
11-18-2018, 04:27 PM
Nice! Stay safe!
I guess just the learning how to teach is the hardest for me. I donít know what to expect on the ride, I wouldnít be able to teach any lessons verbatim. I heard some examiners just want you to ďteach without reference to your plansĒ Iíve also heard some allow you to ďreferenceĒ them. I donít know at all.

There is not an examiner out there who expects a CFI candidate to teach verbatim without reference to your training aids. The examiners I have been evaluated by (FSDO and DPE) are evaluating your ability explain the scenarios given. Everything is free to use.

With that said, if the candidate can't explain a point/lesson in general terms without reading it word for word out of a book. Then the day will likely end shortly with a pink slip.

Don't worry about trying to be a certain "type" of person for your check ride. Just be yourself and relay the information you know in a logical manner and you'll be on your way to the flying portion.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Never2Late
11-24-2018, 02:27 PM
Nice! Stay safe!

I purchased them, I am going thru a small Part 61 school and they recommended the ones to purchase. they have put thru like 5 CFI students in the last year and all have passed so they are kind of just repeating the same steps (including using the same DPE). I hope I'm not the first one to get the pink slip! My test has been delayed a few times so I FEEL ready however totally concerned that I am "ready" by learning the wrong stuff and I get in there and the first question he asks, I have no idea about!

I have been told that you dont need to memorize much and it is essentially an open "lesson plan" oral but the more you have memorized, the easier it will be. Since my test is next Saturday, I have a lot of time with my instructor scheduled for Sun, Mon, and Tues of this week. After that, I hope I am really comfortable but we havent reviewed ground in awhile so tomorrow will tell me if I am going to be locking myself into my house for Wed, Thurs, and Fri reviewing!

When is your checkride scheduled for?

Knudiee
11-24-2018, 06:56 PM
I purchased them, I am going thru a small Part 61 school and they recommended the ones to purchase. they have put thru like 5 CFI students in the last year and all have passed so they are kind of just repeating the same steps (including using the same DPE). I hope I'm not the first one to get the pink slip! My test has been delayed a few times so I FEEL ready however totally concerned that I am "ready" by learning the wrong stuff and I get in there and the first question he asks, I have no idea about!

I have been told that you dont need to memorize much and it is essentially an open "lesson plan" oral but the more you have memorized, the easier it will be. Since my test is next Saturday, I have a lot of time with my instructor scheduled for Sun, Mon, and Tues of this week. After that, I hope I am really comfortable but we havent reviewed ground in awhile so tomorrow will tell me if I am going to be locking myself into my house for Wed, Thurs, and Fri reviewing!

When is your checkride scheduled for?

Thanks for telling me all that, thatís good to know! Iíve heard that too, but you know... fear of the unknown. My ride isnít scheduled yet, Iím not even close to feeling comfortable with the information. Do you have any memorization tips or anything like that? Any trippy questions in the oral that youíve heard about?

And if I donít hear from you before then, good luck!

Never2Late
11-26-2018, 06:04 AM
I met with my instructor yesterday, I feel PRETTY good, he kind of did a mock oral (he was one of the ones that passed in the last year). There is some stuff I need to brush up on but that is why we did what we did. Today we are flying to make sure I am good there. I am happy to share my experience with you after the fact, I dont want to give you bad info or the wrong stuff to study before the fact. I'll keep you posted.

chrispilotcole
11-29-2018, 06:25 PM
I met with my instructor yesterday, I feel PRETTY good, he kind of did a mock oral (he was one of the ones that passed in the last year). There is some stuff I need to brush up on but that is why we did what we did. Today we are flying to make sure I am good there. I am happy to share my experience with you after the fact, I dont want to give you bad info or the wrong stuff to study before the fact. I'll keep you posted.

Good luck on your checkride! Iím currently working on mine in Camarillo. Where are you doing yours at? Do you know who your examiner is?

Never2Late
12-01-2018, 04:41 PM
Good luck on your checkride! Iím currently working on mine in Camarillo. Where are you doing yours at? Do you know who your examiner is?

CFII- Done! I am flying out of Camarillo Flight Instruction, you? Mark Boss was the DPE.

Kundiee- Now that I passed I feel a bit more comfortable about giving advice. I honestly thought that IF I failed, it would have been on the oral part. Knowing what I know now, the oral was not that tough (I definitely felt over prepared and staying up to 11:45 studying last night was not required!), the flying was harder than I thought. It wasnt that I didnt know WHAT to do but at the last minute (yesterday) he texted me to meet him at KVNY so I woke up at 445 and flew from KCMA-KVNY, got there early (7:20 for an 8:00 apt) to "prepare" and he met me at my plane and showed me to his office and we started. Not that I am totally unfamiliar with KVNY but it did take me out of my comfort zone and that is not a great way to start. I flew many approaches into KVNY however always for 16r, today they were taking off and landing 34 so I had to do the VOR-A there and the ILS into KBUR. I didnt even know KVNY had a VOR-A approach! I made some stupid mistakes and I felt the "stress level" inside the cockpit rising. I just kept telling myself that if he was going to fail me, its my understanding he has to tell you at that point and give you the option to continue. Since I never heard him say anything, I assumed it was a good thing.

I may be taking a trip to San Diego in a bit or if you need some X/C time, I am happy to meet you at KVNY or KCMA (I live in between the 2), have coffee, and give you my experience.

You can also PM me and I am happy to talk on the phone or thru regular email. I will tell you this, if you are proficient with flying , I would schedule the DPE (mine was a 6 week wait) and get on the schedule. If the flying skills are good, you can get the ground done in the 6 weeks no problem. The longer you put it off, you are going to lose flying skills OR keep paying to continue flying to stay proficient while you are stressing over the material. You will probably never "feel" prepared (at least I didnt) and then you find out you over-studied and wasted time and money.

Going to celebrate with the wife!

Never2Late
12-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Kundiee-

Sent you a PM