Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : ERJ175 new hire base

SuperDec95
11-10-2018, 05:37 PM
Hey all. I have an interview in a couple weeks trying to decide CRJ vs ERJ. My 1st choice is DEN (COS is an option but I'm in Fort Collins so that's a nightmare of a drive). Before I choose CRJ I just have one question - I'd really prefer ERJ, and could totally handle ORD for a few months until I can hold DEN...LGA not so much. So I'll cut to the chase, if I take ERJ am I gonna get stuck in LGA or is ORD right out of IOE or close to it a safe bet?

Also, I have 1000 121 PIC, so if DEN CA asap is the ultimate goal, be it reserve for years or not, am I mistaken to even be considering ERJ? Much appreciation for you thoughts, and yes I've studied the junior base holders on the Skywest hiring page, but I'm looking for some more insight ☺

MrFriendly7
11-10-2018, 05:52 PM
There is no garuntee but most going to LGA. You always have a shot at your preference.

threeighteen
11-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Some have been getting ORD, but most get LGA out of the gate on the ERJ. Then you slowly work your way back to the midwest before you get to the rockies. Movement on the CRJ is muuuuch quicker.

SuperDec95
11-10-2018, 08:46 PM
I'm gonna go CRJ it's just not worth the risk of getting stuck in LGA.

Cefiro
11-11-2018, 04:14 AM
Denver is pretty senior even on the FO side, would take more than a couple months to get it. Go to the CRJ.

Erj135dude
11-11-2018, 08:05 AM
I was also considering the erj but the idea of commuting to LGA.... Nope haha.

I'd take a longer upgrade, even a bit less flying/pay but longer reserve and LGA is a killer in my Opinion.

misterpretzel
11-11-2018, 02:34 PM
even a bit less flying/pay

But why? I can't imagine the type of plane being THAT big of a factor.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

zondaracer
11-11-2018, 02:37 PM

Underwing Jets looks better on eharmony profiles.

Erj135dude
11-11-2018, 03:08 PM

It's not that big of a factor, I just like it. When I say a longer upgrade I mean months (not the case at OO), by less fly/pay I also mean not a big difference. All Ideally speaking.

I know that CRJ gives your way more flying and less reserve, quicker upgrade and not only by a couple of months.

Excargodog
11-11-2018, 03:11 PM

This. ^^^. Even Bombardier reluctantly came to that opinion, hence the c-series/Airbus 220.

SuperDec95
11-11-2018, 03:58 PM
It's more the -200s than anything for me, they are dogs, plain and simple. Skywest needs to dump them asap passengers Hate them.

Sculprit
11-11-2018, 04:33 PM
It's more the -200s than anything for me, they are dogs, plain and simple. Skywest needs to dump them asap passengers Hate them.

Unfortunately if said passengers want to fly out of towns such as Reinlander or Iron Mountain or numerous other small markets they will have to learn to love them...otherwise they can go fly on Great Lakes and their B1900. Oh wait.

Excargodog
11-11-2018, 04:36 PM

The classic CRJ-200 review:

https://www.avgeekery.com/the-crj-200-is-the-nickelback-of-the-skies/

word302
11-11-2018, 04:49 PM

The company makes money hand over fist with the 200s. They ain't going away anytime soon.

SuperDec95
11-11-2018, 05:31 PM
The more I think about the CRJ-200, the more I think I might just take ERJ LGA. I can just live in a van, down by the river.

Erj135dude
11-11-2018, 06:02 PM
The more I think about the CRJ-200, the more I think I might just take ERJ LGA. I can just live in a van, down by the river.

Hey let's get a large one, we can split the bills.

SuperDec95
11-12-2018, 02:06 AM
Hey let's get a large one, we can split the bills.

Even better yet, we can just park the van in the employee lot. We may be on to something here. :D

SuperDec95
11-12-2018, 02:23 AM
http://https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/d/2003-ford-e150-cargo-van/6744006901.html

Melit
11-12-2018, 04:26 AM
WOW! You have an interview in a couple weeks and already know how to run the company..:rolleyes:

bronc
11-12-2018, 07:17 AM

I understand some people like you are scared of the prospect of flying the 200 hahaha. If only you knew that the more a/c your company has, the better qol you will have, yes even if they are 200's

V1Rot8t
11-12-2018, 07:48 AM
I understand some people like you are scared of the prospect of flying the 200 hahaha. If only you knew that the more a/c your company has, the better qol you will have, yes even if they are 200's

Is the 200 really that bad to fly (not for passengers but for the crew)?? I've heard it is a fun airframe to fly bc of being less automated. The CJ1 I've been flying doesn't have Vnav or AT and its a blast to fly. Yes busy workload single pilot going into DFW on an arrival, but still fun to me. Its a pig above FL320 as well.

To me the biggest consideration btwn the CRJ vs ERJ discussion is the QOL. ERJ tends to get higher paying trips, longer legs instead of turns on the CRJ.

word302
11-12-2018, 08:16 AM
Is the 200 really that bad to fly (not for passengers but for the crew)?? I've heard it is a fun airframe to fly bc of being less automated. The CJ1 I've been flying doesn't have Vnav or AT and its a blast to fly. Yes busy workload single pilot going into DFW on an arrival, but still fun to me. Its a pig above FL320 as well.

To me the biggest consideration btwn the CRJ vs ERJ discussion is the QOL. ERJ tends to get higher paying trips, longer legs instead of turns on the CRJ.

Ignorance is bliss. I thought the CRJ was a great airplane until I flew the Brazilian counterpart.

SuperDec95
11-12-2018, 08:19 AM
WOW! You have an interview in a couple weeks and already know how to run the company..:rolleyes:

Is that position open too? ;)

Seriously my critisism of the -200 is a bit harsh but I've heard the same sentiment come straight out of the customer's mouth, especially when they're up against SWA (DEN-TUS comes to mind for example). I do take it as a postive sign some Skywest folks have enough company pride to be offended by my arguably offensive CRJ-200 remark. I see that as a good thing as an applicant. Skywest is the only regional I'm even considering going to work for. Company pride is a good thing.

If I could put on my CEO hat for a moment, I like Alaska's model, Qs and E175s. They deploy them well. I would go to work for Horizon as well if it weren't for 3 reasons - 1) No commuting 2) wife wont do seattle (see #1), 3) They are in a difficult competitve situation, partially self inflicted.

Melit
11-12-2018, 08:31 AM
Ignorance is bliss. I thought the CRJ was a great airplane until I flew the Brazilian counterpart.

Really? You prefer the 145 over the 200? Didn't know OO ever had 145's.

savedbythevnav
11-12-2018, 09:01 AM

Like our LAX FA on that Match.com commercial ;)

savedbythevnav
11-12-2018, 09:04 AM

No one wants to fly "Satan's Chariot" but if it gets you the QOL you want, do it. At the end of the day, it's still a very automated, full glass jet.

Your sit in LGA won't be long. In fact, many new hires I meet are able to rebid for ORD during training. Getting DEN may take 6+ months after IOE, at best. DEN hasn't moved too much recently. You'll be on reserve there longer as well.

Keep those things in mind. The right seat isn't super senior here to begin with, but it still takes a bit of patience to get where you want.

8ballfreight
11-12-2018, 09:08 AM

You are right. I don't get any enjoyment when flying the 175 compared to 700/900 in both energy management and hand flying.
The 175 is fun when setting up a plan for the automation to work for you and watching it come together with a few button pushes. Most knuckle heads I fly with though disregard the automation advantages using VS mode like a CRJ with auto-throttles. Plus too much auto-throttle overriding.

word302
11-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Really? You prefer the 145 over the 200? Didn't know OO ever had 145's.

I was referring to the 175, but yes, everyone I know who has flown both the 200 and the 145 prefers the 145.

SuperDec95
11-12-2018, 09:45 AM
No one wants to fly "Satan's Chariot" but if it gets you the QOL you want, do it. At the end of the day, it's still a very automated, full glass jet.

Your sit in LGA won't be long. In fact, many new hires I meet are able to rebid for ORD during training. Getting DEN may take 6+ months after IOE, at best. DEN hasn't moved too much recently. You'll be on reserve there longer as well.

Keep those things in mind. The right seat isn't super senior here to begin with, but it still takes a bit of patience to get where you want.

Thank you thats the type of candid response I was hoping for. :) Flying out of LGA would actually be fun if it's short lived. ORD I can better handle till I can get home. Monthly domicile bidding is awesome. Last place I was at if training slowed it could be 6 mos before a new vacancy bid came out.

savedbythevnav
11-12-2018, 01:05 PM
Thank you thats the type of candid response I was hoping for. :) Flying out of LGA would actually be fun if it's short lived. ORD I can better handle till I can get home. Monthly domicile bidding is awesome. Last place I was at if training slowed it could be 6 mos before a new vacancy bid came out.

Anytime. FWIW, a solid amount of the LGA flying is actually crewed by ORD. You'll get plenty of flying out east, but a bit of a mix of west coast in there too (spoiler alert: most of that goes senior).

The current most junior ER7 FO in DEN (eg. the plug) was a 05/2018 hire. Based on the December Bid Info, it appears the most junior lineholder will be around a 02/2017 hire date.

RickRoss
11-12-2018, 02:50 PM
Like our LAX FA on that Match.com commercial ;)

Come again? :D

savedbythevnav
11-12-2018, 04:31 PM
Come again? :D

Haha, just Google it. Ran into her not too long ago. She's very nice.

And no...I did not ask if she's still single :p

jpso
11-13-2018, 04:16 PM
There is no garuntee but most going to LGA. You always have a shot at your preference.

Are you even on the seniority list?

Captainmarv
11-13-2018, 04:26 PM
I need a west coast base because of my wife, is CRJ the way to go for west coast? (Preferably SFO)

amcnd
11-13-2018, 05:56 PM
I need a west coast base because of my wife, is CRJ the way to go for west coast? (Preferably SFO)

The bottom CRJ FO is 4657 out of 4730 pilots. Bottom ERJ is 4026..

SuperDec95
11-13-2018, 06:30 PM

So the most junior crj pilot is 631 numbers junior to the lowest erj pilot? That doesnt compute :confused:

Captainmarv
11-13-2018, 07:21 PM

Sooooo......ERJ then

zondaracer
11-13-2018, 08:45 PM
Sooooo......ERJ then

CRJ will get you west coast faster than the ERJ right now.

misterpretzel
11-13-2018, 08:48 PM
The bottom CRJ FO is 4657 out of 4730 pilots. Bottom ERJ is 4026..Not an airline pilot- who gets the numbers of 4658 to 4730? Are those for people in training?

amcnd
11-13-2018, 10:00 PM
That was for SFO. If youíre in tomorrows indoc class you would be 4737- how many ever pilots are in class. But that number moves up 60+ a month as people leave..

amcnd
11-13-2018, 10:05 PM
So the most junior crj pilot is 631 numbers junior to the lowest erj pilot? That doesnt compute :confused:

That was for SFO. Not all pilots.

MarineFly
11-15-2018, 06:43 AM
Hey all

1. How long for a new hire FO to hold line in ORD?

2. How are ORD ERJ trips typically? Easy to commute from IAD/DCA? Longer trips kept by senior FOs? Good mix for everyone?

Thanks!!

CooperJ
11-19-2018, 07:20 AM
I was a July hire, finished IOE at the end of Sep (ERJ 175). I was awarded LGA during systems training, and had a standing bid in for DEN and ORD. I was awarded ORD the next month (Oct). I only sat reserve in LGA for 3 days in Sep. I have been at ORD since then and was just awarded DEN for Jan (DMA slot). After being at ORD for 2 months, I was bidding 146 of 168 (87%) for Dec. With 145 targeted line holders, I was not able to hold a line and still on reserve. Hope this helps.

V1Rot8t
11-19-2018, 07:37 AM
I was a July hire, finished IOE at the end of Sep (ERJ 175). I was awarded LGA during systems training, and had a standing bid in for DEN and ORD. I was awarded ORD the next month (Oct). I only sat reserve in LGA for 3 days in Sep. I have been at ORD since then and was just awarded DEN for Jan (DMA slot). After being at ORD for 2 months, I was bidding 146 of 168 (87%) for Dec. With 145 targeted line holders, I was not able to hold a line and still on reserve. Hope this helps.

How much flying did you do at ORD on reserve? is this ready/hot reserve?

MarineFly
11-19-2018, 11:17 AM

Coop - appreciate the response. Seems like LGA is the place you can hold a line sooner. If it takes 2 Months to hold the line in LGA for example, I would bid ORD to stand reserve in ORD, where I have family, then see if I could get LGA when I could hold a line. So It seems from your post that LGA is shorter reserve time than ORD... right?

saxman66
11-19-2018, 01:12 PM
Hey all

1. How long for a new hire FO to hold line in ORD?

2. How are ORD ERJ trips typically? Easy to commute from IAD/DCA? Longer trips kept by senior FOs? Good mix for everyone?

Thanks!!

Can't answer the first question, but ORD has a wide variety of trip on all frames. It's our largest base. For the ERJ you'll see both coasts, Canada, and a little Mexico too. Delta and United flying. Lots of Delta flying flows through the Northeast and it seems we are starting to flow through MSP and DTW. United, you'll do turns as well as flow through DEN, SFO, and LAX sometimes. Commuting from DC should be pretty easy. You may also look at going to LGA with plenty of shuttle flights on DL and AA. Plus you have ground transportation option when things look bad with weather. LGA is a small base though, but you'll move up quick. The LGA trips are pretty much in the NE too, but I'm sitting in Helena, MT right now on a LGA based trip so the variety is coming.

MarineFly
11-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Saxman

Thanks. Sounds good. Any clue on how long till holding a line at LGA vs ORD? I guess if you could (if you were commuting from DC anyway, for example) you could fly LGA for a while then if you liked ORD flying, when you held seniority that could get you a line in either place, you could transfer to ORD and commute there for a while if you wanted, for the flying. People do that?

SuperDec95
11-20-2018, 05:32 AM
Saxman

Thanks. Sounds good. Any clue on how long till holding a line at LGA vs ORD?

Good Qs MarineFly. Im assuming the movement in LGA referenced by Saxman is due to the fact that since LGA is small and the most junior E175 base a lot guys like myself (if hired) presumably would bid out and head west ASAP. Sounds like it might be a good fit for you however. Even if its a three hour drive or more driving or train is your get out of jail free card! Commuting is hell.

Maybe if someone could also add, is the FO progression faster on CRJ vs E175 because of relative fleet size or do some CRJ FOs actually bid a lateral vs upgrade at 2 yrs? And if so, is that person seat locked on the new frame? Which leads to...does SkyWest have an up or out policy?

V1Rot8t
11-20-2018, 07:08 AM
Can't answer the first question, but ORD has a wide variety of trip on all frames. It's our largest base. For the ERJ you'll see both coasts, Canada, and a little Mexico too. Delta and United flying. Lots of Delta flying flows through the Northeast and it seems we are starting to flow through MSP and DTW. United, you'll do turns as well as flow through DEN, SFO, and LAX sometimes. Commuting from DC should be pretty easy. You may also look at going to LGA with plenty of shuttle flights on DL and AA. Plus you have ground transportation option when things look bad with weather. LGA is a small base though, but you'll move up quick. The LGA trips are pretty much in the NE too, but I'm sitting in Helena, MT right now on a LGA based trip so the variety is coming.

Any idea how this compares to CRJ trips out of ORD? Is CRJ all turns or is there a mix of nice trips in there?

zondaracer
11-20-2018, 07:18 AM
Any idea how this compares to CRJ trips out of ORD? Is CRJ all turns or is there a mix of nice trips in there?

CRJ trips in ORD are flown for three different partners, DL, UA, and AA. They flow through other domiciles as well and the trips have a very large variety but they do not get to the west coast as often as the E175 trips in ORD. ORD CRJ trips, just at a glance, do turns out of ORD, they hit CLT, IAD, DFW, DEN, SLC, LAX, MSP, DTW and more. Generally speaking, the CRJ200 trips has some shorter flights, but the 700/900 trips tend to look more like E175 trips.

zondaracer
11-20-2018, 07:25 AM
Maybe if someone could also add, is the FO progression faster on CRJ vs E175 because of relative fleet size or do some CRJ FOs actually bid a lateral vs upgrade at 2 yrs? And if so, is that person seat locked on the new frame? Which leads to...does SkyWest have an up or out policy?

FO progression is faster on the CRJ. There are many who make a lateral transition at 2 years, and there are also plenty who just decide to camp out in their current seat for seniority and better schedules. If you transition airplanes in the same seat, there is a seat lock. Seat lock is 24 months to switch airframes, or 12 months to upgrade. We do not have an up or out policy.

SuperDec95
11-20-2018, 10:09 AM
There are many who make a lateral transition at 2 years.

Wow. When it pays the same??? According to the website you can hold CRJ CA at most bases at the 2 yr mark. That's like Major interview question #1 - "did you bypass the opportunity to upgrade at your current carrier? Why?"

Thanks!!! decision made

zondaracer
11-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Wow. When it pays the same??? According to the website you can hold CRJ CA at most bases at the 2 yr mark. That's like Major interview question #1 - "did you bypass the opportunity to upgrade at your current carrier? Why?"

Thanks!!! decision made

Thereís lots of different reasons. Maybe some people donít plan on leaving any time soon or ever. Some people arenít ready to upgrade or they donít want to commute across the country for a commute and their domicile is growing with E175s and shrinking CRJs (SEA, PDX, SLC all come to mind in recent history). Maybe they were commuting and then they just opened an e175 base in their home town (BOI or SAN). Everyone has their reasons. When you end up flying with a 14 year FO and find out their significant other makes really good money and they just want to have a schedule that is compatible, it makes sense.

SuperDec95
11-20-2018, 02:47 PM
Thereís lots of different reasons. Maybe some people donít plan on leaving any time soon or ever. Some people arenít ready to upgrade or they donít want to commute across the country for a commute and their domicile is growing with E175s and shrinking CRJs (SEA, PDX, SLC all come to mind in recent history). Maybe they were commuting and then they just opened an e175 base in their home town (BOI or SAN). Everyone has their reasons. When you end up flying with a 14 year FO and find out their significant other makes really good money and they just want to have a schedule that is compatible, it makes sense.

Aha. definitely seems like basing at the regionals is a moving target to say the least. Your almost forced to commute sometimes. Good grief most apartment leases are 1 yr min. Welcome to the biz huh? :confused:

CooperJ
11-21-2018, 07:50 AM
The folks in my class that stayed at LGA are all holding lines for Dec. The most senior person in our class was the only one to hold a line in Dec at ORD...so it looks like you could hold a line in LGA a month earlier there.

SuperDec95
11-21-2018, 04:49 PM
The folks in my class that stayed at LGA are all holding lines for Dec. The most senior person in our class was the only one to hold a line in Dec at ORD...so it looks like you could hold a line in LGA a month earlier there.

Thank you. Are you in DEN now?

And thank you for your service. My daughter is a 4/c NROTC midshipman on scholarship at University of Arizona, just picked her up from the airport. :D

SuperDec95
11-21-2018, 04:56 PM
...she just got her PPL in a Super Decathlon last July, 18 yo. Sorry proud Dad moment, cant control it. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone, Fly Safe!

bronc
11-22-2018, 09:04 AM
Thank you. Are you in DEN now?

And thank you for your service. My daughter is a 4/c NROTC midshipman on scholarship at University of Arizona, just picked her up from the airport. :D

That means shes stuck even if she busts a flight physical. That sucks!

SuperDec95
11-22-2018, 11:11 AM
That means shes stuck even if she busts a flight physical. That sucks!

Earning a commision as an officer and getting your entire college degree paid for doesnt suck in any way shape or form. She understands it depends on the needs of the Navy; Pilot, NFO, SWO, NUPAC, doesn't matter. Its about Honor, Courage, and Commitment. Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless our troops!

CooperJ
11-27-2018, 12:51 PM
SuperD...will hold DEN beginning 1 Jan.