Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

golf papa
11-13-2018, 06:39 AM
Amazon Picks New York City, Northern Virginia for Its HQ2 Locations (http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazon-picks-new-york-city-northern-virginia-for-its-hq2-locations/ar-BBPDDhd?ocid=ientp)

Will Amazon bringing ~20K (estimated) jobs to each city impact the majors' schedules/routes out of NYC & DC? If so, how much? Any historical precedents come to mind?

--gp

peaches
11-13-2018, 06:42 AM
Amazon Picks New York City, Northern Virginia for Its HQ2 Locations (http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amazon-picks-new-york-city-northern-virginia-for-its-hq2-locations/ar-BBPDDhd?ocid=ientp)

Will Amazon bringing ~20K (estimated) jobs to each city impact the majors' schedules/routes out of NYC & DC? If so, how much? Any historical precedents come to mind?

--gp

Dang people thought it was going to be Raleigh and house prices reflected that. Sold mine 30% more than I paid for it 9 months after purchase. :D

captjns
11-13-2018, 07:04 AM
Dang people thought it was going to be Raleigh and house prices reflected that. Sold mine 30% more than I paid for it 9 months after purchase. :D

Probably why....

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article209481079.html

ZapBrannigan
11-13-2018, 11:02 AM

--gp

Look at XNA for your example.

Walmart is based in nearby Bentonville, Arkansas. It is either the first or second largest company in the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TransWorld
11-13-2018, 12:10 PM

--gp

Old rule of thumb from business, for every external job brought into a community, there are 5 more jobs created (e.g. teachers, doctors, trash collectors, business owners, etc.). So, about 100,000 new jobs.

For every job holder there is another person added to the population (e.g. non working spouse, children, etc.). So, about 200,000 added to the population.

This assumes the new Amazon employees are not local people just sitting on the sidelines, unemployed. Some will be, but the majority will be new. Even those unemployed will over a period of time be making more money (through things such as training, education, improved job skills). That means more spendable income, doing more things that the bare necessities of life.

I realize that does not answer your question, directly. But it gives a flavor of an additional 200,000 in population will have more flying. Look at areas with that population, likely that amount of PAX load. Might be more since it is a corporate HQ.

Another way to look at it. New York City metro population is 20 million, so 1% increase in population, 1% increase in flying. Washington DC metro population is 6 million, so a 3% increase in population, 3% increase in flying.

rightside02
11-13-2018, 12:49 PM
I am all for it having been based in the NYC area for nearly 9 years now I say bring it.

Bozo the pilot
11-14-2018, 07:38 PM
I am all for it having been based in the NYC area for nearly 9 years now I say bring it.

Do you drive in this city? :D
Gonna be a nightmare now. Thank God for Amtrak and LIRR.

joepilot
11-15-2018, 06:07 AM
I having been hunting online for what corporate passenger aircraft Amazon operates, but I can't find anything. Anybody know?

I'm guessing that Amazon will be buying airline tickets for 200-300 pax a day between NYC-SEA and SEA-IAD. It seems like a corporate 757 shuttle would be a worthwhile operation, in addition to whatever corporate executive aircraft they use.

Joe

Rabid Seagull
11-15-2018, 07:09 AM
I know of an airline that has real estate in Long Island City. It might be worthwhile for purchase/ merger. And if you purchase this airline on the '15th of next month' I'll help transfer the crop next spring.

ShyGuy
11-15-2018, 10:33 AM
While it's good news, it's also bad news for a lot of people. Zoning laws will change, more congestion, more people in an already croweded area, more traffic jams, accidents, and prices driven up in an already expensive area.

Andy
11-15-2018, 06:12 PM
I having been hunting online for what corporate passenger aircraft Amazon operates, but I can't find anything. Anybody know?

I'm guessing that Amazon will be buying airline tickets for 200-300 pax a day between NYC-SEA and SEA-IAD. It seems like a corporate 757 shuttle would be a worthwhile operation, in addition to whatever corporate executive aircraft they use.

Joe

That would give travelers zero flexibility on travel times and would end up costing much more in hotel/per diem costs than simply using a commercial carrier.

captjns
11-16-2018, 04:45 AM
That would give travelers zero flexibility on travel times and would end up costing much more in hotel/per diem costs than simply using a commercial carrier.

Corproations are not in the business of catering to the egos, or flexibility for their employees.

The minions be assigned their travel orders, and show up for their travel as directed at the appointed time.

Amazon, as other large entities in the past, present and future, avail themselves with a particular hotel brand, with a block of hotel rooms.

Some own secure living facility(ies) with full service apartments.

Andy
11-16-2018, 06:15 AM
Corproations are not in the business of catering to the egos, or flexibility for their employees.

The minions be assigned their travel orders, and show up for their travel as directed at the appointed time.

Amazon, as other large entities in the past, present and future, avail themselves with a particular hotel brand, with a block of hotel rooms.

Some own secure living facility(ies) with full service apartments.

Having worked outside of the airline world, I can unequivocally tell you that your idea would cost AMZN more money than it would save.
Wasting the minions' time by having them sit in a city overnight waiting for the AMZN shuttle' - sure as long as you don't care about employee turnover. That still doesn't fix the financial problem that the additional cost of hotel and per diem is more than a commercial airline ticket.

And I'm sure that AMZN has corporate contracts with several airlines.

ItnStln
11-16-2018, 04:18 PM
While it's good news, it's also bad news for a lot of people. Zoning laws will change, more congestion, more people in an already croweded area, more traffic jams, accidents, and prices driven up in an already expensive area.

As if DC isnít expensive enough already!

sailingfun
11-17-2018, 05:31 AM

Joe

Using the low end of your estimate you are talking about moving 12,000 people a month coast to coast. Thatís pretty doubtful and would not make much sense. They would have been better off to simply expand in the SEA area. I suspect there real travel needs will be a few hundred people each month.

Andy
11-17-2018, 12:15 PM
Using the low end of your estimate you are talking about moving 12,000 people a month coast to coast. Thatís pretty doubtful and would not make much sense. They would have been better off to simply expand in the SEA area. I suspect there real travel needs will be a few hundred people each month.

True. I don't see AMZN as a travel intensive business. Most everything can likely be handled via conference call.
Consultants and accounting firms OTOH are bigly air travelers.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1