Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Republic vs Skywest

Bigdog2003
11-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Think I have it narrowed down to Republic or Skywest. Which would you choose and why? To be honest not sure if I will be able to move on to a mainline because I don't have a college degree so which ever I go with I would like to be able to stay put for a while.

170driver
11-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Think I have it narrowed down to Republic or Skywest. Which would you choose and why? To be honest not sure if I will be able to move on to a mainline because I don't have a college degree so which ever I go with I would like to be able to stay put for a while.

Where do you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Auburn17Pilot
11-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Republic has better captain rates over time, and the contract will be amendable in a few years again. Also depending on where you live should play a factor. If youíre west coast go Skywest. East coast or Midwest, republic. Go with your gut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigdog2003
11-14-2018, 05:13 PM
Right now we live in Florida but will be moving. We are from Indiana so if we decided to move back home then Republic would make the most sense because our hometown is only 45 minutes from IND. We have also tossed around the idea of moving to Colorado which Skywest has Colorado springs and Denver. We are looking to move over the summer to try and keep from moving our kids mid year again. So I will most likely have a few more hours of instructing to get. With Republic having a flight school at IND that could be an option to finish time building. I am just trying to make the decision early because we would like the next place we move to to be a place we lay some roots down for some years to come.

170driver
11-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Right now we live in Florida but will be moving. We are from Indiana so if we decided to move back home then Republic would make the most sense because our hometown is only 45 minutes from IND. We have also tossed around the idea of moving to Colorado which Skywest has Colorado springs and Denver. We are looking to move over the summer to try and keep from moving our kids mid year again. So I will most likely have a few more hours of instructing to get. With Republic having a flight school at IND that could be an option to finish time building. I am just trying to make the decision early because we would like the next place we move to to be a place we lay some roots down for some years to come.

That would be how I would decide. Figure out where you want to live and go to that regional. You wonít go wrong with either right now. Who knows what it will look like in 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tigflt17
11-14-2018, 06:05 PM

And IND is a junior assigned base so you will easily get. Living there will help with the early shows and/or late night releases.

DanielRoe
11-14-2018, 08:36 PM
Iíd say Republic. I also live 40-45min from IND and itís legit not commuting and being at the ďmothershipĒ.

MrFriendly7
11-15-2018, 08:22 AM
I was in the same boat and thought about this decision forever. I decided on Republic because of better overall contract, union, and quality of life. Much better schedules etc. If you need any help getting in with Republic feel free to message me.

fortyeight
11-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Republicís pay and work rules are better. You canít beat Skywestís base structure though. Republicís bases are crap unless you live in Indy, Columbus, or NY.

DanielRoe
11-15-2018, 08:34 AM
Republicís pay and work rules are better. You canít beat Skywestís base structure though. Republicís bases are crap unless you live in Indy, Columbus, or NY.

I agree

stringandrudder
11-15-2018, 06:07 PM

Or PHL or PIT or MIA or DCA or ORD or MCI or ...

:D

pilotnicco
11-15-2018, 07:47 PM
I was in the same boat and thought about this decision forever. I decided on Republic because of better overall contract, union, and quality of life. Much better schedules etc. If you need any help getting in with Republic feel free to message me.

This is pretty well said TBH. Also the pilot group is super solid, and overall culture is really great. We definitely take care of our own here. Unless you want to live in the west coast or a JR OO base, then YX is the clear choice.

metalfeather
11-15-2018, 09:06 PM
This is pretty well said TBH. Also the pilot group is super solid, and overall culture is really great. We definitely take care of our own here. Unless you want to live in the west coast or a JR OO base, then YX is the clear choice.

I signed up to fly the contract but was also super impressed with the staff and treatment at the training center.

I would add that it helps having flight privileges on DL, UA and AA regardless of where you are based or what equipment. The flight benefits are better here than at mainline.

Also, I don't have to spend one dollar out of pocket for my uniform, luggage, EFB or even the headset. I can focus on training without a second thought toward equipment.

FlyGood
11-15-2018, 09:55 PM
Also, I don't have to spend one dollar out of pocket for my uniform, luggage, EFB or even the headset. I can focus on training without a second thought toward equipment.

Thatís true, but buy a headset. Itís sooooooooooo worth the investment.

dera
11-15-2018, 09:57 PM
I would add that it helps having flight privileges on DL, UA and AA regardless of where you are based or what equipment. The flight benefits are better here than at mainline.

You might change your opinion about that when you get bumped off your flight by a DL retiree flying with his/her family.

4V14T0R
11-16-2018, 04:20 AM
Thatís true, but buy a headset. Itís sooooooooooo worth the investment.

Seconded, but if you donít please put it away. Donít just assume others donít bring their own headset.

Check Complete
11-16-2018, 05:02 AM
Very senior SW.

I would recommend Republic too. SW closes and opens and then closes bases on a whim, some grow then shrink with zero regards to the ďlittleĒ people. Our new TA is a joke, and we will always lag the industry.

Anywhere but.....

Viking6
11-16-2018, 06:05 AM
Or PHL or PIT or MIA or DCA or ORD or MCI or ...

:D

Republic is a east coast and midwest regional. Once you upgrade it will take years to get ORD. I believe MCI is about 3.5 to 4 years.

QOL is better at Republic, but I would guess it depends on if you commute. I would not commute to any Republic outstation, because your life will suck, especially as a junior captain or FO.

TheWeatherman
11-16-2018, 07:24 AM
You like bunk mates and loud snoring during training? Go to Skywest.

FlyingDawgg
11-16-2018, 07:46 AM
Or HK's. Hope Killers :p

You might change your opinion about that when you get bumped off your flight by a DL retiree flying with his/her family.

Gravity88x
11-16-2018, 08:41 AM
Skywest is non union. Republic has a union. Thatís a pretty big reason to choose republic right there

fortyeight
11-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Republic is a east coast and midwest regional. Once you upgrade it will take years to get ORD. I believe MCI is about 3.5 to 4 years.

QOL is better at Republic, but I would guess it depends on if you commute. I would not commute to any Republic outstation, because your life will suck, especially as a junior captain or FO.

Itíll take 12 years to get Chicago after upgrade. Republic treats ORD like an outstation rather than one of the busiest hubs in the world. Gotta feed the outstations....

4V14T0R
11-16-2018, 11:02 AM
Itíll take 12 years to get Chicago after upgrade. Republic treats ORD like an outstation rather than one of the busiest hubs in the world. Gotta feed the outstations....

In what respect is ORD treated like an outstation? Itís one of the most commutable bases, so itís not early show/late finish.

amcnd
11-16-2018, 12:59 PM
Very senior SW.

I would recommend Republic too. SW closes and opens and then closes bases on a whim, some grow then shrink with zero regards to the ďlittleĒ people. Our new TA is a joke, and we will always lag the industry.

Anywhere but.....

Im also senior OO but donít agree. Yes they do open/close bases. But that was mostly Turboprop days... and some unfortunate events such as Midwest express MKE, ect..

Paid2fly
11-16-2018, 01:03 PM
Im also senior OO but donít agree. Yes they do open/close bases. But that was mostly Turboprop days... and some unfortunate events such as Midwest express MKE, ect..

BFL, YUM, SBP, SMX, CLD, SAN, SMF, SBA, PRB, SGU, had nothing to do with Midwest Express...

amcnd
11-16-2018, 03:06 PM
BFL, YUM, SBP, SMX, CLD, SAN, SMF, SBA, PRB, SGU, had nothing to do with Midwest Express...

Like i said. ďTurbopropĒ.... (SBA/SMF was jet/prop). And those werenít tird to a MX basr like PSP/FAT/TUS are..

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1