Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Vets In Blue

HeliHooker
11-16-2018, 02:02 AM
Has anyone attended this event before? Just looking for info on what to expect. Thanks!

PasserOGas
11-16-2018, 04:17 AM
Has anyone attended this event before? Just looking for info on what to expect. Thanks!

Basically it's a job fair. Pilot hiring will be there. Bring your resume. They will "wow" you with how great this place is.

Keep your resume and app warm if you get picked up. This place pays you in false hopes and yet, somehow, also, lowered expectations.

hyperboy
11-16-2018, 06:46 AM
Basically it's a job fair. Pilot hiring will be there. Bring your resume. They will "wow" you with how great this place is.

Keep your resume and app warm if you get picked up. This place pays you in false hopes and yet, somehow, also, lowered expectations.

POS I guess thats how you treat all the US veterans out there looking for a job.....classy.

hyperboy
11-16-2018, 06:47 AM

PM me. I can help.

hilltopflyer
11-16-2018, 07:30 AM
POS I guess thats how you treat all the US veterans out there looking for a job.....classy.

Not sure how you read that as an attitude towards vets. That was fully about the company they are applying at. Just like my sim partner did. Quit a week after iOe for better pastures.

hyperboy
11-16-2018, 09:41 AM
Not sure how you read that as an attitude towards vets. That was fully about the company they are applying at. Just like my sim partner did. Quit a week after iOe for better pastures.

Better pastures meaning your not able to leave for better pastures but your FO is?

hilltopflyer
11-16-2018, 11:09 AM
Better pastures meaning your not able to leave for better pastures but your FO is?

In the game of an airline career once you have too much at stake (seniority) you canít really just start over, but if you move on quick enough itís worth it. I always said Iíd give myself 3 years to leave and it didnít happen so Iím probably going to stick it out for the long haul.

PasserOGas
11-16-2018, 11:27 AM

Um, I'm a vet. Your welcome for my service.

hilltopflyer
11-16-2018, 06:39 PM

He is just being dumb making an argument out of nothing.

hyperboy
11-17-2018, 05:38 AM

and so am I. Thats not the issue. Many of us Vets are trying to help Vets including many Helo pilots get hired. Your comments do nothing to help them (nor do they ever really?)....So what are you doing positive for your Vets to get hired at JB? You could volunteer for VIB on Dec 6th?

hyperboy
11-17-2018, 05:45 AM
He is just being dumb making an argument out of nothing.

The argument is many seem to be career advisors on how others should do it? But certainly not yourselves. Always an excuse.....and always something to say.

The VIB Expo is for veterans that are looking for a career at JetBlue. This program is second to NONE and it is for the Vets and supported by a majority of Vets, who many have come through the VIB Expo themselves.

You just said it yourself that you aren't going to leave but for others that advice is dumb??????

The whole purpose of the post was info on VIB. A programs for veterans who want to work here just like you said you do?!

So what the problem?

hilltopflyer
11-17-2018, 06:16 AM
The argument is many seem to be career advisors on how others should do it? But certainly not yourselves. Always an excuse.....and always something to say.

The VIB Expo is for veterans that are looking for a career at JetBlue. This program is second to NONE and it is for the Vets and supported by a majority of Vets, who many have come through the VIB Expo themselves.

You just said it yourself that you aren't going to leave but for others that advice is dumb??????

The whole purpose of the post was info on VIB. A programs for veterans who want to work here just like you said you do?!

So what the problem?

If I could have quickly heck yes I would have.

Bluedriver
11-17-2018, 06:21 AM
and so am I. Thats not the issue. Many of us Vets are trying to help Vets including many Helo pilots get hired. Your comments do nothing to help them (nor do they ever really?)....So what are you doing positive for your Vets to get hired at JB? You could volunteer for VIB on Dec 6th?

He's helping them to see that they would almost certainly have a better career elsewhere. DL buys 10 more A330NEOs and launches several new trans-atlantic routes out of BOS.

JB announces... Wait for it... More flights to Nantucket....

His comments were NOT derogatory towards Vets.

Otterbox
11-17-2018, 08:17 AM

Telling vets to keep their options open at other airlines is not a disservice...

PasserOGas
11-17-2018, 09:15 AM

So what the problem?

He asked what the story was. I told him. Hyper, this place is not a destination. Convincing people to hang thier hat here when other more successful airlines are hiring isn't helping anybody but Giggity.

Notice I didn't say not to come here? Come here by all means if it benefits you, but getting comfortable or believing the hype is a huge mistake. This place is slowing down with no overarching vision on what it's trying to be. What decisions are being made usually involve stripping down the customer experience or ****ing off employees in pursuit of short term profits. Not a winning strategy for long term success.

pilotpayne
11-17-2018, 10:23 AM
He's helping them to see that they would almost certainly have a better career elsewhere. DL buys 10 more A330NEOs and launches several new trans-atlantic routes out of BOS.

JB announces... Wait for it... More flights to Nantucket....

His comments were NOT derogatory towards Vets.

Little bit of a spin on that 330 order
They pulled a JetBlue. Order 10 defer 10.
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/11/16/business/16reuters-airbus-delta-orders.html

Bluedriver
11-17-2018, 10:51 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/11/16/business/16reuters-airbus-delta-orders.html

Ah, didn't know that, just read the headline. Of course they did announce several new trans-atlantic cities out of Boston. But we answered back robustly with connecting HPN to Nantucket.

pilotpayne
11-17-2018, 01:02 PM
Ah, didn't know that, just read the headline. Of course they did announce several new trans-atlantic cities out of Boston. But we answered back robustly with connecting HPN to Nantucket.

True very true

Rickce7
11-18-2018, 06:21 PM
Here's my take after about four years of sending three Navy/Marine buds, all qualified, to VIB. . one of them even went to two VIB. Out of the three, one received an interview about three weeks after attending. He went through the interview, only to be told that he wasn't current (had been in a staff job the past two years) and would need to get 200 hours in the next year. . .a conditional job offer was given, a phone number of someone given to him and told to call when he had his time. He subsequently went to Frontier, sat reserve there for six months. . .and was then offered a job by both FedEx and UAL. He tried calling the number that was given to him at JB and left voicemails. . . no one ever returned his call. The other two friends were never called for an interview. I won't waste anymore of my friends time. I am sure it is a valuable job fair for some however my experience in recommending people to attend was a ramp strike.

Bluedriver
11-19-2018, 09:03 AM

Just looked closer. They did defer 10 A350s for a later delivery date (didn't cancel the order), and added an order for A330neo. So this is still an incremental increase in wide-body aircraft.

But we do have new 20 min blocks to Nantucket.

We are so awesome.

hyperboy
11-19-2018, 11:27 AM
He asked what the story was. I told him. Hyper, this place is not a destination. Convincing people to hang thier hat here when other more successful airlines are hiring isn't helping anybody but Giggity.

Notice I didn't say not to come here? Come here by all means if it benefits you, but getting comfortable or believing the hype is a huge mistake. This place is slowing down with no overarching vision on what it's trying to be. What decisions are being made usually involve stripping down the customer experience or ****ing off employees in pursuit of short term profits. Not a winning strategy for long term success.

Not a destination? You are not going anywhere just like HT, BD,PP myself....so I guess it is a destination?

Telling veterans about JB and the fact that it is a destination is OK too.

pilotpayne
11-19-2018, 11:56 AM
Just looked closer. They did defer 10 A350s for a later delivery date (didn't cancel the order), and added an order for A330neo. So this is still an incremental increase in wide-body aircraft.

But we do have new 20 min blocks to Nantucket.

We are so awesome.

I think it was also to replace older airframes as well

Bluedriver
11-19-2018, 12:00 PM
Not a destination? You are not going anywhere just like HT, BD,PP myself....so I guess it is a destination?

Telling veterans about JB and the fact that it is a destination is OK too.

It's not a great destination for a new-hire that's "hirable" at better companies.

Saying a new-hire is in the same position as someone who's half way up the seniority list is disingenuous.

I'm not being a Richard HB, but when you have 30 seconds could you post a short compelling argument about how you see JB as being a comparable career value to a new hire vs DL, UAL, AA, FEDEX?

Bluedriver
11-19-2018, 12:00 PM
I think it was also to replace older airframes as well

Does it say that?

CaptCoolHand
11-19-2018, 12:36 PM
Well... 5 years ago jb was not my destination carrier. It is now.

There will always be guys who complain about the contract and the work. There will always be guys who are company shills...

To the OP, should you end up here, it's not horrible. There's certainly better, but it doesn't suck. To #tag myself, it is getting better with each section of contractual implementation.

Not all our careers worked out the way we planned. I plan on working with JBALPA to make sure the rest of ours is as lucrative as possible.

BeatNavy
11-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Does it say that?

Lots of info on their forum and on airliners.net about their widebody fleet. Good breakdown at the bottom of this page, but lots of interesting info elsewhere in the thread.
https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/delta/117865-future-widebody-orders-16.html

Bluedriver
11-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Lots of info on their forum and on airliners.net about their widebody fleet. Good breakdown at the bottom of this page, but lots of interesting info elsewhere in the thread.
https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/delta/117865-future-widebody-orders-16.html

From that guys post I can only determine one thing for sure: inconclusive. Correct?

Delta had a habit of ordering planes as "replacement" and then keeping the original aircraft AND the new ones. They've grown their mainline fleet count robustly and quietly for several years now.

hilltopflyer
11-19-2018, 01:37 PM
From that guys post I can only determine one thing for sure: inconclusive. Correct?

Delta had a habit of ordering planes as "replacement" and then keeping the original aircraft AND the new ones. They've grown their mainline fleet count robustly and quietly for several years now.

Their mad dogs keep getting their retirement date pushed back and back. Same thing with a few other types.

pilotpayne
11-19-2018, 06:57 PM
Does it say that?

https://news.delta.com/delta-orders-10-additional-a330-900neos-replace-older-widebody-jets-facilitate-measured-growth

ďIn addition, Delta plans to retire older Boeing 767-300ERs in the years ahead as the aircraft reach the end of their serviceable life cycle.Ē

I donít know the exact plans but if you look into it itís not as shiny as it seems

RNO Flyer
11-22-2018, 01:28 AM
Iíll ask two dumb questions here: is there an invite required for VIB, and is it possible to go/worthwhile to go if my app isnít in yet? (Waiting on date of availability)

BeatNavy
11-22-2018, 06:19 AM
Iíll ask two dumb questions here: is there an invite required for VIB, and is it possible to go/worthwhile to go if my app isnít in yet? (Waiting on date of availability)

Invite is required. Have to have had an app on in the last window and indicated vet status to get said invite. Also, if you want to work at JB I suggest applying to as many windows as possible, as thatís one thing that is looked at. Copy the availability date and all, just a heads up on the process.

Docskoli
11-26-2018, 04:48 AM
Gents - I have an invite for Dec 6 VIB. Iím kind of conflicted actually. Iím a pretty senior captain at a regional - get what I want on my scheduled etc. Pretty far down the age chain too and Iím actually not sure about starting over at the bottom again at this age when I only have a few years left in me. I always wanted to fly JB or another carrier above my level, but Iím afraid that Iíll get the 190 and end up flying the same Buffalo turns I do now. There isnít really much of a pay raise for me and any extra Iíd get would be eaten up by finding a place to hang my hat in JFK area. So - please all thoughts about this for me. I do not have another 121 option that I see as possible other than staying where I am until I decide to pack it in. Thanks gents.

hilltopflyer
11-26-2018, 04:51 AM
Gents - I have an invite for Dec 6 VIB. Iím kind of conflicted actually. Iím a pretty senior captain at a regional - get what I want on my scheduled etc. Pretty far down the age chain too and Iím actually not sure about starting over at the bottom again at this age when I only have a few years left in me. I always wanted to fly JB or another carrier above my level, but Iím afraid that Iíll get the 190 and end up flying the same Buffalo turns I do now. There isnít really much of a pay raise for me and any extra Iíd get would be eaten up by finding a place to hang my hat in JFK area. So - please all thoughts about this for me. I do not have another 121 option that I see as possible other than staying where I am until I decide to pack it in. Thanks gents.

How many years do you have left?

CaptCoolHand
11-26-2018, 07:01 AM

Go to Atlas or something like that if you're looking to do more. Because in the next ~2 yrs most if not all newbs will go to the 190.

Bluedriver
11-26-2018, 07:44 AM
Go to Atlas or something like that if you're looking to do more. Because in the next ~2 yrs most if not all newbs will go to the 190.

Truth.....

BeatNavy
11-26-2018, 09:02 AM

How many years left? Do retirement flight benefits matter and can you get them at either place? Movement on the 190 should be good. I got senior enough fairly quickly to do mostly Caribbean and Florida stuff and not be stuck in the northeast if I didnít want to be if thatís a concern, though pairings will continue to change. Then the 220/320 pay and trip variation will kick in after a year or two and I doubt youíll make less than at your regional. But it depends on how many years you got left and what you want, I suppose.

Otterbox
11-26-2018, 09:09 AM

Do the math... as long as youíve for 3 or more years left in the industry the move to JetBlue likely makes sense between the pay bump and 401k DC alone, especially once the A220 and 320 pay scales enter the mix.

Although flying would reach far beyond BUF but Atlas would be a terrible leap backwards in terms of pay and QOL for most regional Captains. Most regional FOs are making as much as Atlas FOs flying the 74 for the first several years and junior RJ CAs are well ahead thanks to the low MMG and low block at Atlas.

Although flying would reach well beyond BUF but Atlas would be a terrible leap backwards in terms of pay and QOL for most regional Captains. Most regional FOs are making as much as Atlas FOs flying the 74 for the first several years and junior RJ CAs are well ahead thanks to the low MMG and low block at Atlas.

Captains at Atlas are jumping ship to JetBlue, not the other way around.

Docskoli
12-03-2018, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the replies gents. Iíve got 5 years left but wonít stay that long. Probably 2 at most at this point unlesss I really like what I am doing. I have read a bunch here where people are complaining about JB. I guess every one complains everywhere. I can/t imagine the QOL at JB is anywhere near as bad as it is where I am. Iíve decided to go tot he VIB and hope to see how things go.

PasserOGas
12-03-2018, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the replies gents. Iíve got 5 years left but wonít stay that long. Probably 2 at most at this point unlesss I really like what I am doing. I have read a bunch here where people are complaining about JB. I guess every one complains everywhere. I can/t imagine the QOL at JB is anywhere near as bad as it is where I am. Iíve decided to go tot he VIB and hope to see how things go.

It's not as bad as a bottom feeding regional or 135 outfit. If that is your yardstick by all means come here. But please, please, please don't settle for this place. They can afford to treat you like UAL treats their guys. They just don't want to.

Bluedriver
12-03-2018, 06:40 AM

If you can handle the first year pay cut and you think you can handle to commute to JFK or BOS I think you should take the job if offered. Having been at a few regionals before JB I would want to finish my career at a major, even if it is one of the lower tier majors.

The e190 was a fun aircraft to fly and you could fly the Airbus after a 1-2 years, but that would be a VERY junior post for a while, so make sure you could handle being very junior on the Airbus. Guys above you will continue to bail the e190 when their seat lock expires.

The above should mean very rapid seniority movement on the e190 which should give you a good quality of life and a 15% retirement from the company.

Good luck

Raace10
12-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Anyone going to VIB has had there app not show in the list of applications? Mine and another buds disappear from the list of submitted apps.

HeliHooker
12-05-2018, 04:31 PM
Anyone going to VIB has had there app not show in the list of applications? Mine and another buds disappear from the list of submitted apps.

Thatís weird. I just checked and my application from the October window is gone too. It still shows the earlier one though.

Docskoli
12-05-2018, 05:01 PM
My October one was gone as well and I am going to VIB tomorrow too. Weird.

SideFlare
12-06-2018, 07:54 AM
For reasons unknown to all, application status will change without explanation. They disappear and return with no seeming method to the madness. I wouldnít worry too much about it...

Bluedriver
12-06-2018, 09:43 AM
For reasons unknown to all, application status will change without explanation. They disappear and return with no seeming method to the madness. I wouldnít worry too much about it...

Standard JB operations. It's a good introduction for new hires. Apparently 1s and 0s don't run any better on culture.

SideFlare
12-07-2018, 01:17 AM
Standard JB operations. It's a good introduction for new hires. Apparently 1s and 0s don't run any better on culture.

Canít argue with that... BD on point with this one. Maybe the same people that publish the DRO handle the application pool?

hyperboy
12-07-2018, 02:09 PM
This thread "lost" it's way and has nothing to do with VIB....

Great time at VIB yesterday. Hopefully the 120+ who did not get a ticket can come to the next one. Solid group of men and women. Plenty will be interviewing soon. Hope you had a great time. We certainly did.

HeliHooker
12-07-2018, 03:59 PM
This thread "lost" it's way and has nothing to do with VIB....

Great time at VIB yesterday. Hopefully the 120+ who did not get a ticket can come to the next one. Solid group of men and women. Plenty will be interviewing soon. Hope you had a great time. We certainly did.

I know that I can speak for everyone who attended when I say thank you to all the pilots/vets who volunteered their time yesterday. I was a great time and awesome to hear about the company from some line pilots.

Rhinec
12-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Had a great time. Truly enjoyed it and the people. Lots of great info and good people. Thanks for the invite.

I still think it is amazing what JB has become in 20 years.

skiddriver
12-14-2018, 08:29 AM
Has anyone heard back After attending Vets in Blue? Anyone have any more detail on the timeline in which calls might start going out to begin phase I?

CattleRattle
12-16-2018, 05:32 PM
Has anyone heard back After attending Vets in Blue? Anyone have any more detail on the timeline in which calls might start going out to begin phase I?

Guys in my unit who fly for JB say up to a month to hear anything back after attending VIB.....

TheDuster
12-22-2018, 12:18 AM
Guys in my unit who fly for JB say up to a month to hear anything back after attending VIB.....

I attended VIB in fall of 16... Got the invite after the next window opened. Patience, brothers!

CattleRattle
12-23-2018, 02:35 PM
I attended VIB in fall of 16... Got the invite after the next window opened. Patience, brothers!

Ive heard that same scenario several times, thank you ^!

Rhinec
01-14-2019, 08:13 AM
Just curious if anyone from the event had heard anything new or gotten interview.
Iíve heard end of January. Just wondered if anyone had gotten the good news yet.
Prepping to do the app again

HeliHooker
01-14-2019, 08:43 AM
Just curious if anyone from the event had heard anything new or gotten interview.
Iíve heard end of January. Just wondered if anyone had gotten the good news yet.
Prepping to do the app again

Nothing here yet. I know they said next application window would open in January. Any idea as to when?

Rhinec
01-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Nothing here yet. I know they said next application window would open in January. Any idea as to when?

Last I heard they were still finishing off the October group and if VIB would hear anything it would be end of January/beginning of February.
But also heard from a friend that VIB invites had gone out already. So who knows.
Iím just anxious. Either way applying again. This is where I want to be... so weíll see.

hyperboy
01-14-2019, 12:14 PM
Last I heard they were still finishing off the October group and if VIB would hear anything it would be end of January/beginning of February.
But also heard from a friend that VIB invites had gone out already. So who knows.
Iím just anxious. Either way applying again. This is where I want to be... so weíll see.

They have started to go out. There are a lot of moving parts. It's based on the interview schedule as well. Interviews are twice in January and February, as well as 3 dates in March. They don't want to do the video screens so far in advance that you are waiting for the interview dates.

Rhinec
01-14-2019, 04:27 PM
They have started to go out. There are a lot of moving parts. It's based on the interview schedule as well. Interviews are twice in January and February, as well as 3 dates in March. They don't want to do the video screens so far in advance that you are waiting for the interview dates.
Thank you. I just got the email saying window opened again so time to get on it.

Rhinec
01-15-2019, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the info.
Reapplying today.

ScoutsOut
01-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the update! I guess I won't stop doing the rain dance and will keep checking my email. Also, reapplying today.

kharpe11
02-11-2019, 05:03 AM
Hello, was there anyone that attended the December 2018 Vet's in Blue event that was called back for an interview after this last window opened for applications in January 2019?

Thanks guys!

CattleRattle
02-11-2019, 04:47 PM
Hello, was there anyone that attended the December 2018 Vet's in Blue event that was called back for an interview after this last window opened for applications in January 2019?

Thanks guys!

Not that I have heard but it does sounds like its a process so hopefully soon!!

Docskoli
02-11-2019, 08:23 PM
I went to Dec. VIB and got the video interview and just a couple days ago the interview email. March 8.

skiddriver
02-12-2019, 10:09 AM
I went to Dec. VIB and got the video interview and just a couple days ago the interview email. March 8.

What are your stats if you donít mind me asking please....

benzoate
02-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Very true. When you turn over hiring to individuals who have no business interviewing pilots the process gets increasingly more complicated.

hyperboy
02-12-2019, 11:18 AM
Very true. When you turn over hiring to individuals who have no business interviewing pilots the process gets increasingly more complicated.

Turn over to who? It's been this way long before I got here. JetBlue Pilots hiring future JetBlue Pilots? What is your better idea? I personally think its the best way. I would like to hear your thoughts though....

hilltopflyer
02-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Turn over to who? It's been this way long before I got here. JetBlue Pilots hiring future JetBlue Pilots? What is your better idea? I personally think its the best way. I would like to hear your thoughts though....

I think he neans the rest of the hr department.

ProPilotBlue
02-12-2019, 05:13 PM

For some reason, people think that flight attendants are involved in the hiring of pilots. Not sure why they think that, but they do.

P-3Bubba
02-12-2019, 06:05 PM
For some reason, people think that flight attendants are involved in the hiring of pilots. Not sure why they think that, but they do.

There was a FA on my interview

-Bubs

hilltopflyer
02-12-2019, 06:18 PM

And if you are brand new like you said how would you know who is on each hiring committee. Something is t adding up...

ProPilotBlue
02-12-2019, 06:41 PM
And if you are brand new like you said how would you know who is on each hiring committee. Something is t adding up...

I just went through the process 9 months ago. There was a pilot and a person from HR. Then I went to talk to a chief pilot with another HR person. I'm not sure what you mean my committee. I'm talking about the hiring process that we went through.

ProPilotBlue
02-12-2019, 06:43 PM
There was a FA on my interview

-Bubs

Not with me. A pilot named Tony and an HR person. Then the chief pilot was next. I think her name was Jill.

PasserOGas
02-13-2019, 05:28 PM

There was a FA on my interview. I complimented him on his lip gloss and beautifully manscaped facial hair.

Job was mine.

Southerner
02-13-2019, 06:44 PM
There was a FA on my interview. I complimented him on his lip gloss and beautifully manscaped facial hair.

Job was mine.

Explains a lot. LOL

I think I had an FA on mine. Thinking back, it's a miracle I got through it. I didn't do any paid prep service, and really didn't know much about how JetBlue interviews. It was stupid, honestly.

Blue Dude
02-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Explains a lot. LOL

I think I had an FA on mine. Thinking back, it's a miracle I got through it. I didn't do any paid prep service, and really didn't know much about how JetBlue interviews. It was stupid, honestly.

The blue gloves you wore to the interview made you a shoo-in. Well done.

Toonces
02-13-2019, 10:35 PM
I just went through the process 9 months ago. There was a pilot and a person from HR. Then I went to talk to a chief pilot with another HR person. I'm not sure what you mean my committee. I'm talking about the hiring process that we went through.

Iím in the same boat. Lots of line and chief pilots at the interview, both interview sessions had a pilot and an HR pro. Seemed similar to interviews at previous jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hilltopflyer
02-14-2019, 05:27 AM
Iím in the same boat. Lots of line and chief pilots at the interview, both interview sessions had a pilot and an HR pro. Seemed similar to interviews at previous jobs.

I had a fa as well. Hence why I called the guy who knew all of our hiring practices but was brand new a troll...

ProPilotBlue
02-14-2019, 05:50 AM
I had a fa as well. Hence why I called the guy who knew all of our hiring practices but was brand new a troll...

WTF? I just said that when I came through I didn't have a Flight Attendant in my process. I never said that I knew all of the nuances of the system. I'm pretty sure someone who just came through as a new hire knows it better than someone like you, who went through it a long time ago.

hilltopflyer
02-14-2019, 05:56 AM
WTF? I just said that when I came through I didn't have a Flight Attendant in my process. I never said that I knew all of the nuances of the system. I'm pretty sure someone who just came through as a new hire knows it better than someone like you, who went through it a long time ago.

Iím saying thatís how I read it. My apologies kind sir for misreading your comments :)

kharpe11
02-16-2019, 01:03 PM
...Trying to get the topic back on track.

Anyone else from the December 2018 VIB event get a video/in person interview yet?

Stats/MIL background would be helpful!

Thanks guys.

hyperboy
02-16-2019, 06:12 PM

You might of had a In flight recruiter but there are no FA's that hire pilots since at least 2011 at least

Southerner
02-16-2019, 07:28 PM
You might of had a In flight recruiter but there are no FA's that hire pilots since at least 2011 at least

Yep. I interviewed in 2011. Seems like a long time ago!

hilltopflyer
02-16-2019, 08:13 PM

Gotcha.....

Omen38
05-28-2019, 05:40 PM
I'm only just now finding out about this program but I was reading the replies from the beginning of the thread. Does JB still want you to have 4,000 hours to apply at the VIB events? One of my FOs was under the impression it was lower.

hyperboy
05-28-2019, 05:49 PM
I'm only just now finding out about this program but I was reading the replies from the beginning of the thread. Does JB still want you to have 4,000 hours to apply at the VIB events? One of my FOs was under the impression it was lower.

You have NEVER been required to have 4000 hours. The only requirement is that you are a veteran and you have your application on file.

It helps to be be fairly competitive since you could score an interview if you are competitive and successful with the one-on-one. This is a place where veterans may have never heard of JB or been based near a JB city. Its an info seeking event as well.

Omen38
05-28-2019, 06:02 PM
Awesome. Somebody on another forum was saying that 4000+ is what we needed. Thanks for setting me straight.

If we're coming from 135, I assume they'll want 1000 turbine PIC or close to it? I want to put my app in but I don't want to waste anyone's time.

HostileCombover
05-29-2019, 11:48 AM
Awesome. Somebody on another forum was saying that 4000+ is what we needed. Thanks for setting me straight.

If we're coming from 135, I assume they'll want 1000 turbine PIC or close to it? I want to put my app in but I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Just apply, dude. I got hired post-VIB with around 4000 TT. Another buddy of mine got picked up with even less. The only thing youíre wasting by not applying is opportunity. Worst case you hear nothing and reapply during subsequent windows. Good luck.

Omen38
06-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Yeah, definitely going to apply. My information is in the system now. I will keep updating my times as I accrue more hours. How do they know you are a veteran? I didn't see anything in the profile that you can select to disclose veteran status. Do they just review your resume' and set you up for a Vets In Blue event, or is there a POC that we should get in touch with? Sorry if this has been asked before; I reviewed the previous posts that said we needed to be invited but I didn't see anything about how they determine that you're a veteran.

360KIAS
06-02-2019, 10:47 PM
Yeah, definitely going to apply. My information is in the system now. I will keep updating my times as I accrue more hours. How do they know you are a veteran? I didn't see anything in the profile that you can select to disclose veteran status. Do they just review your resume' and set you up for a Vets In Blue event, or is there a POC that we should get in touch with? Sorry if this has been asked before; I reviewed the previous posts that said we needed to be invited but I didn't see anything about how they determine that you're a veteran.

Your resume.

BeatNavy
06-02-2019, 11:03 PM
Your resume.
I donít think thatís correct. Isnít there a block on the application to indicate veteran status?

As far as I know, that block being checked, in the application window prior to VIB, is what triggers an invite...not your resume.

HostileCombover
06-02-2019, 11:50 PM
Canít speak for how it is now, but there used to be the veteran box when they application asked about protected demographics.

360KIAS
06-03-2019, 05:21 AM
I donít think thatís correct. Isnít there a block on the application to indicate veteran status?

As far as I know, that block being checked, in the application window prior to VIB, is what triggers an invite...not your resume.

That may well be. With or without a check box, employment history on a resume would certainly indicate that one had served.

todd1200
06-03-2019, 06:08 AM
That may well be. With or without a check box, employment history on a resume would certainly indicate that one had served.

The question is, what triggers an invite to ViB? And it seems, as BeatNavy said, that checking the Veteran box leads to the invite. Itís probably an automated process, so doubtful that someone reviews all the resumes looking for military service.

hyperboy
06-05-2019, 06:51 PM
The question is, what triggers an invite to ViB? And it seems, as BeatNavy said, that checking the Veteran box leads to the invite. Itís probably an automated process, so doubtful that someone reviews all the resumes looking for military service.

There is a box for veterans. If you check it you get an invite. If you do not check the box but you are a veteran....then we know at that point you are not Navy and we will have to settle for the lesser....:D

HostileCombover
06-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Your resume.

Incorrect, once again. There is no resume screening for veteran status.

360KIAS
06-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Incorrect, once again. There is no resume screening for veteran status.

Pretty silly that you said this right after Hyper posted above you. Good try, though.

HostileCombover
06-05-2019, 08:16 PM
Pretty silly that you said this right after Hyper posted above you. Good try, though.

Iím relatively certain that I said a similar thing earlier, yet you kept mouthing off about things incorrectly. Digging that hole, dude. In every thread you spout happiness without substance... Why?

360KIAS
06-05-2019, 08:54 PM
Iím relatively certain that I said a similar thing earlier, yet you kept mouthing off about things incorrectly. Digging that hole, dude. In every thread you spout happiness without substance... Why?

Except that little tidbit where I was right. The veteran box will certainly trigger an invite, as others have said. But so will a resume read.

hilltopflyer
06-06-2019, 07:44 AM
Except that little tidbit where I was right. The veteran box will certainly trigger an invite, as others have said. But so will a resume read.

Dude. Just stop trying. If you donít check the box there is a good chance a military guy with limited hours isnít going to get his resume pulled. And if you are military and donít check the box there is another chance that you wonít get looked at cause you didnít take the application seriously enough.

hyperboy
06-06-2019, 07:47 AM

There is NO way there is time to go look at each candidate at see if the are military from the resume. Check box and check box only!

360KIAS
06-06-2019, 07:53 AM
Dude. Just stop trying. If you donít check the box there is a good chance a military guy with limited hours isnít going to get his resume pulled. And if you are military and donít check the box there is another chance that you wonít get looked at cause you didnít take the application seriously enough.

Ok, I give. Check box, got it.

hilltopflyer
06-06-2019, 08:06 AM
Ok, I give. Check box, got it.

You just keep spouting off like you know something when it is clearly wrong. You havenít been here that long so please just stop trying so hard to sound like you know everything. It hurts any credibility you might actually have. No one believes anything you say cause you are always standing strong and doubling down.

360KIAS
06-06-2019, 08:58 AM
You just keep spouting off like you know something when it is clearly wrong. You havenít been here that long so please just stop trying so hard to sound like you know everything. It hurts any credibility you might actually have. No one believes anything you say cause you are always standing strong and doubling down.

Like I said, I got it, I was wrong. It's been a few years since I applied, I didn't check that box, so it's not in my memory banks. I believe you that it's there, and obviously it is the trigger for an invite from all the responses. I just assumed (however wrongly) that one's resume would list their employment history and make it obvious if one was in the military. Won't happen again, I promise.

savpilot
06-25-2019, 01:04 PM
Attended VIB in Dec 18. Got video interview from April window.

PasserOGas
06-28-2019, 02:33 PM
Veterans. This is the company you are applying to.

https://images.app.goo.gl/gBY1FSGgqamrxTPG8

They did this to a plane full of families.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/jetblue/jetblue-shantay-blue-stay-flight-safety-announcement-led-by-trixie-mattel-bob-the-drag-queen

nuball5
06-28-2019, 02:44 PM

https://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/jetblue/jetblue-shantay-blue-stay-flight-safety-announcement-led-by-trixie-mattel-bob-the-drag-queen

No one cares dude.

ClncClarence
06-28-2019, 02:45 PM

Pretty sure our veterans can handle seeing men dressed in shiny clothes. My family certainly can.

Grow up.

PasserOGas
06-28-2019, 03:21 PM
Pretty sure our veterans can handle seeing men dressed in shiny clothes. My family certainly can.

Grow up.

Yeah, cause what I want to do on my family vacation is explain transvestites to my kids...

Hey, while we are at it let's all wear dildos on our foreheads! After all, veterans can handle it!

hyperboy
06-28-2019, 03:35 PM
Yeah, cause what I want to do on my family vacation is explain transvestites to my kids...

Hey, while we are at it let's all wear dildos on our foreheads! After all, veterans can handle it!

You could explain negativity?.......

ClncClarence
06-28-2019, 04:19 PM

Seems like this is more about you than them. Wouldnít want to burden yourself with too much parenting responsibility.

Lifeís too short to be so mad all the time. Chill out and you might enjoy it.

PasserOGas
06-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Seems like this is more about you than them. Wouldnít want to burden yourself with too much parenting responsibility.

Lifeís too short to be so mad all the time. Chill out and you might enjoy it.

You know what would make me happy? Giving my PA while holding a blow up doll.

hilltopflyer
06-28-2019, 05:59 PM
You know what would make me happy? Giving my PA while holding a blow up doll.

Haha. Iíd just not make it a deal and say they were very ugly females. Since thatís what they are trying to be.

Toonces
06-29-2019, 07:06 PM

And no one cares. Where are the lines of veterans deciding not to apply to JB because of a marketing stunt?

HostileCombover
06-29-2019, 09:56 PM
Yep... Dude, POG, itís time to tone down the rhetoric. Nobody cares about the **** you spew.

usmc-sgt
06-30-2019, 05:26 AM
Iíve seen combat...a man in a wig doesnít even raise an eyebrow. Just keep it brief so I can close my eyes and get some rest in the back.

360KIAS
06-30-2019, 07:03 AM
Iíve seen combat...a man in a wig doesnít even raise an eyebrow. Just keep it brief so I can close my eyes and get some rest in the back.

I wouldn't close your eyes, or you might get more than rest in the back...

Decolaje
07-17-2019, 01:23 PM
Has anyone heard of any Vets in Blue (Hiring Expo) events going on in the near future?

themagicman00
07-17-2019, 03:36 PM
Has anyone heard of any Vets in Blue (Hiring Expo) events going on in the near future?

If you are a military aviator, you should be golden and won't need Vets in Blue- submit your application. This job fair is mainly for E-dogs. (Enlisted that have become pilots).

jamesholzhauer
07-17-2019, 04:05 PM
If you are a military aviator, you should be golden and won't need Vets in Blue- submit your application. This job fair is mainly for E-dogs. (Enlisted that have become pilots).
Ummm I donít think this is accurate. Iíve worked several VIB events and the majority of candidates I talked to were mil pilots. I donít have the hiring stats of people hired from VIB, but of all the people I know hired thru VIB (which was a large number from my class, and a large number Iíve talked to), most were mil pilots. I also know plenty of mil pilots who have not attended VIB and havenít gotten an interview, and plenty who have gone to VIB who also have not gotten an interview. Bottom line is being a mil pilot is no guarantee for an interview...if I were interested in JB and a mil pilot, I would try to go.

Also, fwiw, VIB is typically around Veterans Day and draws invites from whomever has indicated veteran status on the preceding application window. If you want to go, I recommend applying to every window. I know some people who applied to one window, thought they were good, but a subsequent window had opened and their app was purged (as they are every time a window opens). Perhaps hyper can chime in with those stats or further comments.

360KIAS
07-17-2019, 05:16 PM
Ummm I donít think this is accurate. Iíve worked several VIB events and the majority of candidates I talked to were mil pilots. I donít have the hiring stats of people hired from VIB, but of all the people I know hired thru VIB (which was a large number from my class, and a large number Iíve talked to), most were mil pilots. I also know plenty of mil pilots who have not attended VIB and havenít gotten an interview, and plenty who have gone to VIB who also have not gotten an interview. Bottom line is being a mil pilot is no guarantee for an interview...if I were interested in JB and a mil pilot, I would try to go.

Also, fwiw, VIB is typically around Veterans Day and draws invites from whomever has indicated veteran status on the preceding application window. If you want to go, I recommend applying to every window. I know some people who applied to one window, thought they were good, but a subsequent window had opened and their app was purged (as they are every time a window opens). Perhaps hyper can chime in with those stats or further comments.

I've heard talk around the water cooler that the hire rate from these events is around 10-11%.

jamesholzhauer
07-17-2019, 05:29 PM
I've heard talk around the water cooler that the hire rate from these events is around 10-11%.

Sorry I was more talking the stats of those hired from the event...mil pilot vs non flyer vet, etc., as it relates to the ďmostly for e dogsĒ discussion, since it seemed from my anecdotal experience it was more flyers than non flyers.

360KIAS
07-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Sorry I was more talking the stats of those hired from the event...mil pilot vs non flyer vet, etc., as it relates to the ďmostly for e dogsĒ discussion, since it seemed from my anecdotal experience it was more flyers than non flyers.

Ahhh, gotcha. I, too, have been under the impression that most were pilots.

Decolaje
07-31-2019, 03:39 AM

Thanks for the information, it was helpful. I have applied to this last window (July 1st) and indicated veteran (pilot). I will keep an eye out for it.

jamesholzhauer
07-31-2019, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the information, it was helpful. I have applied to this last window (July 1st) and indicated veteran (pilot). I will keep an eye out for it.

Best of luck