Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Interview Tips?

bgrace6
11-16-2018, 11:29 AM
Hey guys. I'm a lowly fresh commercial pilot & have an interview coming up in a few weeks for Envoy's cadet program. Is it still true that the technical portion is a lot of basic instrument knowledge ie: regs, jepp charts, alternate & fuel requirements, 91.175, 91.185, etc etc?

Any info or tips at all on what to expect would definitely be apreciated!

Also I've had a few people tell me it wouldn't be the smarterst idea to get locked into a regional too early since the industry is always changing. Part of me agrees with this but the tuition reimbursement & benefits that I would get as a CFI seem too good to walk away from

NoValueAviator
11-16-2018, 12:10 PM
If you want peace of mind, go to Aviation Interviews and buy the high quality recent gouges posted there. You basically understand what is covered. Brush up on STARs, if youíre like I was youíve never flown one with speeds/alts before but thatís all we do here.

EmbaeDriver
11-16-2018, 12:23 PM
Say you donít use drugs and youíre in

ENH017
11-16-2018, 05:59 PM
https://www.aviationinterviews.com/

It's like 20 bucks or something for the one month you'll need to study the gouges for your interview. It's 20 dollars to pay for the feeling that you'll know exactly what's going to be asked in the interview. It's chump change really when you compare the cost of getting a job vs not getting a job. ;)

Cyio
11-17-2018, 03:58 AM
I concur, buy the upgraded membership with the newer gouges as what most of us had asked may have changed some.

bgrace6
11-18-2018, 06:51 PM
If you want peace of mind, go to Aviation Interviews and buy the high quality recent gouges posted there. You basically understand what is covered. Brush up on STARs, if youíre like I was youíve never flown one with speeds/alts before but thatís all we do here.

How big of a deal is it to get first pick of aircraft/base in your class if youíre a cadet? Iíd be commuting from BNA (I know I know take it easy on me) but my mom is sick so it would be nice to stay close to her.

Not sure which base would be easiest for me to commute from.

MD-11Loader
11-18-2018, 07:00 PM
How big of a deal is it to get first pick of aircraft/base in your class if youíre a cadet? Iíd be commuting from BNA (I know I know take it easy on me) but my mom is sick so it would be nice to stay close to her.

Not sure which base would be easiest for me to commute from.

BNA-ORD can be tough. Lots of commuters. A mix of mainline and Envoy with the occasional Skywest mixed in.

LGA has a few commuters but plenty of options between AA, DL, and WN.

DFW is DFW. Lots of commuters and only AA on the route so youíd go behind the mainline guys for the jumpseat.

MIA has a few flights per day which are operated by Republic so youíd fall behind their commuters first, and then it would be first come for the junpseat.

dera
11-18-2018, 07:47 PM
DFW is DFW. Lots of commuters and only AA on the route so youíd go behind the mainline guys for the jumpseat.

Always behind the mainline guys? I thought it was order of check-in?

BigZ
11-18-2018, 07:50 PM
Always behind the mainline guys? I thought it was order of check-in?

JS listing is different. Mainline guys can list for JS as primary or backup plan, in which case we'll be behind them on the jumpseat priority

dera
11-18-2018, 07:53 PM
JS listing is different. Mainline guys can list for JS as primary or backup plan, in which case we'll be behind them on the jumpseat priority

Ah ok. But for cabin nonrev, it's based on order of check-in?
That's where I got it mixed up.

bgrace6
11-18-2018, 08:02 PM
So then your choice of base should always be which commute will suck a little less than the others regardless of aircraft type I assume.

dera
11-18-2018, 08:04 PM
So then your choice of base should always be which commute will suck a little less than the others regardless of aircraft type I assume.

Isn't that rule nr 1 on choosing which regional to work for anyway?

CaseTractor
11-18-2018, 08:06 PM

Trying to catch up, sorry. On AA or ENY AC, or does it matter? Did the riding on own metal giving JS priority go away in the AA system? Maybe the convo is referring to all situations not on own metal?

havick206
11-18-2018, 08:10 PM
Trying to catch up, sorry. On AA or ENY AC, or does it matter? Did the riding on own metal giving JS priority go away in the AA system? Maybe the convo is referring to all situations not on own metal?

Envoy pilots get priority for JS on Envoy aircraft. Mainline pilots on mainline aircraft.

MD-11Loader
11-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Envoy pilots get priority for JS on Envoy aircraft. Mainline pilots on mainline aircraft.

And according to the jumpseat guide Envoy gets priority in and wholly owned jumpseat over a mainline pilot. On Republic, TSA, SkyWest, and Mesa it is by checkin time.

NoValueAviator
11-19-2018, 07:48 AM
And according to the jumpseat guide Envoy gets priority in and wholly owned jumpseat over a mainline pilot. On Republic, TSA, SkyWest, and Mesa it is by checkin time.

Where does it say that? I don't think that is how it has been implemented in real life.

Cyio
11-19-2018, 09:39 AM

If I am reading this correctly, you are saying that on PSA and Piedmont we would also get priority over mainline?

MD-11Loader
11-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Where does it say that? I don't think that is how it has been implemented in real life.

http://www.alpa.org/eny/-/media/ENY/files/eLibrary/committees/jumpseat/18,-d-,07,-d-,09%20Jumpseat%20Guide.pdf

Page 8

FM1 is controlling but the way ALPA has it outlines says that a FDJ Eagle goes over a FDJ AA on a wholly owned flight.

bgrace6
12-19-2018, 03:05 PM
Well I got the job offer today. Pretty pumped about it!

Jamesthunder
12-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Well I got the job offer today. Pretty pumped about it!

Did you get a class date?

dera
12-19-2018, 08:24 PM
Did you get a class date?

I think the OP is a cadet.

No delays as of now for classes.

bgrace6
12-20-2018, 08:07 AM
I think the OP is a cadet.

No delays as of now for classes.

Correct.

How long before the drug screen/background checks come back?

dera
12-20-2018, 09:15 PM
Correct.

How long before the drug screen/background checks come back?

1-3 weeks.

Amansworld
12-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Show up with a pulse because once you get hired they will brutalize you.

Varsity
12-21-2018, 03:35 PM
Show up with a pulse because once you get hired they will brutalize you.

:confused:

NoValueAviator
12-21-2018, 03:54 PM
Only if you're an FO on the 145 or a CA on the CRJ. For everyone else getting hired now it's not that bad.

(because they're not hiring CRJ FOs)

PilotPete4You
12-22-2018, 04:56 AM
Wear pants and try not to drool on the desk...you should be O.K.

We are a one stop shop for ATP, FSI, American Flyers and everybody else...all chasiní that mainline crack-dream.

Living on hope and a prayer.

dera
12-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Wear pants and try not to drool on the desk...you should be O.K.

We are a one stop shop for ATP, FSI, American Flyers and everybody else...all chasiní that mainline crack-dream.

Living on hope and a prayer.

Bah. They are pretty selective. There was an interview group of 4 a while ago, no-one got the job.

NoValueAviator
12-23-2018, 05:59 AM
Bah. They are pretty selective. There was an interview group of 4 a while ago, no-one got the job.

We're overstaffed, even with new jets coming, although inefficiencies such as the FO seatlock will likely lead to frantic hiring soon.

Cyio
12-23-2018, 06:54 AM
We're overstaffed, even with new jets coming, although inefficiencies such as the FO seatlock will likely lead to frantic hiring soon.
Yeah I have been thinking this as well. I know we are placing a lot of new hires in it but certainly not enough to staff 40 jets.

If people would stop showing up to class imagine the position we would be in for better pay and qol increases. I, however, wonít hold my breath.

dera
12-23-2018, 08:27 AM

That's what I'm saying. They are not hiring "anyone with a pulse". They are pretty selective at the moment.

bgrace6
12-23-2018, 08:35 PM
That's what I'm saying. They are not hiring "anyone with a pulse". They are pretty selective at the moment.

Yep only 2 of 4 got an offer in my group last week.

One of the guys who didnít get picked was a former 757 FO in his fifties. You could tell he walked in extremely unprepared & was just expecting to get the job handed to him.

dera
12-23-2018, 10:37 PM
Yep only 2 of 4 got an offer in my group last week.

One of the guys who didnít get picked was a former 757 FO in his fifties. You could tell he walked in extremely unprepared & was just expecting to get the job handed to him.

Yeah. These "just have a pulse" comments are laughable. It's a pretty serious interview, and you need to know your Jepps down cold.
Way more technical than Endeavor, Republic etc.

NoValueAviator
12-24-2018, 07:17 AM
Newsflash: the so-called "pilot shortage" is over. Guys are chomping at the bit to get access to our second runner up flowthrough agreement and worst in the industry pay and work rules.

bgrace6
12-24-2018, 09:17 AM
I just got an email saying my file is ready for the internal review board & Iíll be notified when it passes.

What are the chances it actually doesnít pass?

bgrace6
12-24-2018, 09:20 AM
Newsflash: the so-called "pilot shortage" is over. Guys are chomping at the bit to get access to our second runner up flowthrough agreement and worst in the industry pay and work rules.

Serious question, if a lot of people think Envoy is horrible to work for, why does the company keep growing?

ENH017
12-24-2018, 09:34 AM
Serious question, if a lot of people think Envoy is horrible to work for, why does the company keep growing?

That's because its a perfectly fine place to work and people come on these forums to ***** about it.

Those who truly are having a bad time are commuters on reserve, although every pilot and their mother will tell you to never commute to work in the business. They knew what they signed up for.

bh539
12-24-2018, 11:12 AM
I just got an email saying my file is ready for the internal review board & Iíll be notified when it passes.

What are the chances it actually doesnít pass?

0% unless you have undisclosed criminal records

just my opinion though

dera
12-24-2018, 04:42 PM
0% unless you have undisclosed criminal records

just my opinion though

Or undisclosed checkride failures etc.

NoValueAviator
12-24-2018, 07:09 PM
They caught and deleted a guy from my interview class for undisclosed checkride failures w/in 20 minutes so it's probably just DUIs and stuff.

dera
12-24-2018, 07:21 PM
They caught and deleted a guy from my interview class for undisclosed checkride failures w/in 20 minutes so it's probably just DUIs and stuff.

They dont always have all PRIA stuff by the time of the interview.

starkutt1
01-14-2019, 10:54 AM
They dont always have all PRIA stuff by the time of the interview.

Lol Iím thinking the same thing they have no knowledge of check ride failures until the pria comes back

Speedster
01-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Anyone know what the interview is for someone coming over from another 121? Not DEC just as an FO

V12Merlin
01-27-2019, 07:11 AM

The more experienced you are and the more you know, the less likely you are to be hired. Donít expect any ďprofessional courtesyĒ either. This group doesnít know what that means.

Just act dumb and nod a lot-should be fine.

pitchattitude
01-27-2019, 10:17 AM
The more experienced you are and the more you know, the less likely you are to be hired. Donít expect any ďprofessional courtesyĒ either. This group doesnít know what that means.

Just act dumb and nod a lot-should be fine.
Best interview tip is to read the rest of these threads and not go to the interview.

MD-11Loader
01-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Skip the interview. Go somewhere that has some semblance of culture rather than RW, DT, and RN with their bull**** tactics and poisonous relationships.

Corso1
01-27-2019, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone. Has any new interviewee been selected to do the sim? If so, how the profile goes?

MD-11Loader
01-28-2019, 06:32 AM
Hi everyone. Has any new interviewee been selected to do the sim? If so, how the profile goes?

We havenít done the sim in almost three years. Pay the money for Aviation Interviews, read the gouge, and then donít come here unless you like being treated like a worthless POS and detested by your management.

BigZ
01-28-2019, 07:35 AM
We havenít done the sim in almost three years. Pay the money for Aviation Interviews, read the gouge, and then donít come here unless you like being treated like a worthless POS and detested by your management.
Yeah, there still is a sim - Redbird Baron or some such - if you have less than 100 hrs in the last 12 months.

Approach1260
01-28-2019, 07:36 AM
All the wholly owneds are a bad bet right now, don't let the flow blind you. Go somewhere that treats you like a person.

Corso1
01-29-2019, 10:45 AM
Yeah, there still is a sim - Redbird Baron or some such - if you have less than 100 hrs in the last 12 months.

Thank you for your response. I was wondering if I had to put some G1000 time before showing for interview.

BigZ
01-29-2019, 11:09 AM
Thank you for your response. I was wondering if I had to put some G1000 time before showing for interview.

No problem and good luck at the interview.
I believe it's a G1000 setup, had a friend in class go through it.
I'd say find a redbird g1000 for an hour or two of basic instrument stuff just to be comfortable, sim portion of the interview shouldn't be rocket surgery.

Captain Kirk
01-29-2019, 12:19 PM
Itís a Frasca set up like a Baron with a G1000. For me it was take off and climb out to altitude. Vectors to a hold, briefed the entry and then vectors to an ILS. I transferred controls,briefed the approach then landed.
I flew with another recruiter. I asked if he wanted call outs and he said not necessary. We flew full power, gear down, cowls open, etc.. Pretty much a box pattern.
Before the interview I did pick up a few hours Red Bird time with a G1000 just to be ready.
Study Jepps and aviantioninterviews.com

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1