Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : SLC base after FO training

RAW360
11-23-2018, 01:47 PM
Iím going to try and commute from Seattle so Iím looking to get a base as far west as I can. I start E175 training in Dec and my recruiter said I have a 90% chance to get SLC out of training. Realistically, what are the odds of this happening? If not, will I be looking more towards LGA or ORD? If ORD, any ideas on how the SEA-ORD/ORD-SEA commute might look like?

Thanks!

word302
11-23-2018, 02:29 PM
Iím going to try and commute from Seattle so Iím looking to get a base as far west as I can. I start E175 training in Dec and my recruiter said I have a 90% chance to get SLC out of training. Realistically, what are the odds of this happening? If not, will I be looking more towards LGA or ORD? If ORD, any ideas on how the SEA-ORD/ORD-SEA commute might look like?

Thanks!

Why in the name of all that is holy are you not going to horizon?

amcnd
11-23-2018, 02:35 PM

Thanks!

I did SEA-ORD for awhile. Its ruff. Realy long also.. QX would be your best bet.. unless you can put up with a commute for a year..

RAW360
11-23-2018, 05:50 PM
Why in the name of all that is holy are you not going to horizon?

I did. I have a Negligent Driving from 2011 so they didnít take me.

RAW360
11-23-2018, 05:51 PM
I did SEA-ORD for awhile. Its ruff. Realy long also.. QX would be your best bet.. unless you can put up with a commute for a year..

Dang. Well hopefully the recruiter was right. Thanks

Coriolis147
11-23-2018, 08:05 PM
I also did SEA-ORD for a while but didnít think it was too bad. There are a lot of non stops, so getting to/from is easy, but yes itís a long flight. Usually I had a seat in back which helped. Everything was commutable on the back end. SLC is going very junior right now. SAN too. Welcome aboard!

RAW360
11-23-2018, 09:00 PM
I also did SEA-ORD for a while but didnít think it was too bad. There are a lot of non stops, so getting to/from is easy, but yes itís a long flight. Usually I had a seat in back which helped. Everything was commutable on the back end. SLC is going very junior right now. SAN too. Welcome aboard!

Sweet! Great news, thank you.

threeighteen
11-24-2018, 10:18 PM
It's only a matter of time before the music stops for new-hires getting SLC on the 175, and when the music stops, it won't start again for a long long time. Hopefully you get in before it gets quiet.

trip
11-25-2018, 05:18 AM
It's only a matter of time before the music stops for new-hires getting SLC on the 175, and when the music stops, it won't start again for a long long time. Hopefully you get in before it gets quiet.

Commuting to sit reserve in SLC would be far worse then commuting to a line in ORD. With a line in ORD you can post your trips up and pick trips up in SEA or PDX/SFO/BOI.

baronbvp
11-25-2018, 07:41 AM
Commuting to sit reserve in SLC would be far worse then commuting to a line in ORD. With a line in ORD you can post your trips up and pick trips up in SEA or PDX/SFO/BOI.
I have a similar question about SAN, my preferred domicile. If it isn't coming available soon, better to sit reserve for a few months in ORD or LGA or find a line somewhere junior until SAN opens up? I head SAN was junior but the most recent FO hire on the SkyWest domicile seniority page shows Apr 2018. My class starts 28 Dec.

amcnd
11-25-2018, 11:40 AM
So hard to predict. SLC has a ton of senior FOís that will upgrade in the spring. Opening it up for more to get in. SLC will always be fluid. SAN has a llot of mid level guys that could upgrade to CRJ captain soon. So just depends on what they end up doing.. but shouldnít take to long to hold it..

trip
11-25-2018, 05:06 PM
I have a similar question about SAN, my preferred domicile. If it isn't coming available soon, better to sit reserve for a few months in ORD or LGA or find a line somewhere junior until SAN opens up? I head SAN was junior but the most recent FO hire on the SkyWest domicile seniority page shows Apr 2018. My class starts 28 Dec.

I believe ORD/LGA are junior ERJ bases so reserve should be a short stint.
Like AMCND said it's all fluid, just don't commute to reserve for any amount of time as it will destroy you.

baronbvp
11-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Much appreciated!