Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : ERJ vs CRJ

jcullen4
11-25-2018, 04:46 PM
This seems to be a hot topic on here, but I interview this week, and I know they're going to ask which one. And I literally have no clue which one. What did you go with and why?

ninerdriver
11-25-2018, 05:33 PM
I chose the CRJ, because my name would be ironic if I didn't, and I'm not a hipster.

zondaracer
11-25-2018, 06:21 PM
To jCullen: Where do you live and where do you want to live?

jcullen4
11-26-2018, 04:32 AM
To jCullen: Where do you live and where do you want to live?

I'm an hour N of DTW.

Girlfriend wants to move to Chicago within the next year, potentially, and I'm not opposed to it...Of course, though, things change.

Does it actually matter what you tell them in the interview, or are they just trying to get an idea and then you can make up your mind later?

baronbvp
11-26-2018, 05:58 AM
You choose the platform in the interview. You tell them your preferred base. Helps them plan their classes and flow. When I got my offer a couple days later, it was for the ERJ specifically.

You might be able to change later but I would come prepared with your choice.

Some jets support different routes and airlines, so that may factor into your choice. Others on here know way more about that than I.

According to their domicile map, DTW has only the CRJ and ORD has both. http://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/pilot-jobs/

jcullen4
11-26-2018, 07:59 AM
You choose the platform in the interview. You tell them your preferred base. Helps them plan their classes and flow. When I got my offer a couple days later, it was for the ERJ specifically.

You might be able to change later but I would come prepared with your choice.

Some jets support different routes and airlines, so that may factor into your choice. Others on here know way more about that than I.

According to their domicile map, DTW has only the CRJ and ORD has both. Pilot Jobs » SkyWest Airlines (http://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/pilot-jobs/)

Hey, thanks! I guess I better make up my mind.

E6BAV8R
11-26-2018, 10:59 AM
This seems to be a hot topic on here, but I interview this week, and I know they're going to ask which one. And I literally have no clue which one. What did you go with and why?

Really depends on what you want from the airline - where you want to be based, how quickly you value upgrade times, how long you care to sit reserve versus holding a line, seniority, etc. Upgrades on the ERJ are substantially longer than the CRJ. Also, you're most likely going to get assigned to LGA if you go ERJ. A lot of people start in the ERJ and end up doing Captain Upgrade training into the CRJ because they don't want to stick out the upgrade time in the ERJ.

TimetoClimb
11-26-2018, 12:57 PM
Really depends on what you want from the airline - where you want to be based, how quickly you value upgrade times, how long you care to sit reserve versus holding a line, seniority, etc. Upgrades on the ERJ are substantially longer than the CRJ. Also, you're most likely going to get assigned to LGA if you go ERJ. A lot of people start in the ERJ and end up doing Captain Upgrade training into the CRJ because they don't want to stick out the upgrade time in the ERJ.

Good way to get 2 type ratings as well...never know when that might come in handy

CARS II
11-26-2018, 01:15 PM
How is DFW doing? are the lines there any good? I'm planing to relocate there by next summer, from what I have read here it is not that hard to get it right out of training but, what about after the upgrade? any thoughts on that?

Questions, questions.

This was posted on another thread, any comments on that?

Big growth for DFW. Bet NH’s get it.. new DVR shows 30 openings for FO’s for January 1st.

Tks.

jcullen4
11-26-2018, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the help. Sounds like CRJ might suit me better. ERJ seems like an awesome plane--not that the CRJ isn't--and I've read the routes are more to the west (maybe?) which I would love. That being said, I really have zero desire to sit reserve in LGA (who the heck does!?). I could sit reserve here in DTW from the comfort of my own home.

That being said, does anyone have a rough guesstimate as to how long it takes to hold a line in DTW?

jhub13
11-26-2018, 01:55 PM
I live in the Denver area. Anyone know how long it would take to get based there? And could I ever hold a line in DEN? I’m leaning towards the CRJ because there is a CRJ base in COS as well and for the obvious difference in upgrade times.

threeighteen
11-26-2018, 07:48 PM
I live in the Denver area. Anyone know how long it would take to get based there? And could I ever hold a line in DEN? I’m leaning towards the CRJ because there is a CRJ base in COS as well and for the obvious difference in upgrade times.

Take the CRJ. Getting Denver or COS is pretty easy to do on the CRJ. Several guys got COS before finishing IOE recently. Line within 6 months or less of getting Denver seems to be about average, but that depends on the season.

E6BAV8R
11-27-2018, 01:39 PM

Getting based anywhere as an FO isn't much of an issue. An FO could hold practically any base after about 6 months. However, that isn't necessarily what you should focus on, as you'll probably be upgrading to Captain in 1-2 years max (assuming you want to Upgrade). The Captain side is entirely different. Pretty much anything on the west half of the US is roughly 3-5+ years seniority before you even have a chance to get into the base, and even then you'll be sitting reserve for years. DFW will also most likely remain relatively senior on the CA side. DTW, ORD and MSP continually remain the most junior bases (on both the FO and CA side). DFW is really junior on the FO side at the moment because the base is growing very quickly.

The most junior CA in DEN atm is about 3.5 years on the CRJ, and he'll probably be on Reserve for a long time (which isn't necessarily terrible as long as you live in base).

CARS II
11-27-2018, 02:58 PM
Getting based anywhere as an FO isn't much of an issue. An FO could hold practically any base after about 6 months. However, that isn't necessarily what you should focus on, as you'll probably be upgrading to Captain in 1-2 years max (assuming you want to Upgrade). The Captain side is entirely different. Pretty much anything on the west half of the US is roughly 3-5+ years seniority before you even have a chance to get into the base, and even then you'll be sitting reserve for years. DFW will also most likely remain relatively senior on the CA side. DTW, ORD and MSP continually remain the most junior bases (on both the FO and CA side). DFW is really junior on the FO side at the moment because the base is growing very quickly.

The most junior CA in DEN atm is about 3.5 years on the CRJ, and he'll probably be on Reserve for a long time (which isn't necessarily terrible as long as you live in base).

My thoughts exactly, Im looking 3 years ahead here, Im looking at not to have a long commute from DFW to any of the bases mentioned above, moving to DFW is all part of the plan.

Thank you for the advise.

Oma4545
11-27-2018, 04:48 PM
I wouldn’t call DFE senior. Two and a half years to hold captain isn’t much at all. Which is where the junior captain currently is, and should go more junior than that come January.

TimetoClimb
11-28-2018, 08:28 AM
I wouldn’t call DFE senior. Two and a half years to hold captain isn’t much at all. Which is where the junior captain currently is, and should go more junior than that come January.

Nah man the standing bid list for transfers/upgrade bids for DFW is pretty deep. Even if it went junior, guys are starting to come out of the woodwork. But when the dust settles today or tmrw we will have a better clue. These are for January class dates, mind you.

MarineFly
11-28-2018, 09:27 AM
Av8r

Can you build my SA on whether my plan is workable?

Eventually I want to hold a FO ERJ line at LGA. Training either starts in Dec or Jan for me (Feb worst case).

I assume several months of reserve time. Family lives just outside ORD. So If LGA is lets say 3 months reserve, I will ask for ORD, stand reserve there, then when I have seniority for holding a line at LGA, switch to LGA.

Can you do this? Or is the seniority needed to hold a line different than the seniority needed to swap bases? For example could I get stuck at ORD, even PAST the time I would have been holding a line at LGA?

TimetoClimb
11-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Av8r

Can you build my SA on whether my plan is workable?

Eventually I want to hold a FO ERJ line at LGA. Training either starts in Dec or Jan for me (Feb worst case).

I assume several months of reserve time. Family lives just outside ORD. So If LGA is lets say 3 months reserve, I will ask for ORD, stand reserve there, then when I have seniority for holding a line at LGA, switch to LGA.

Can you do this? Or is the seniority needed to hold a line different than the seniority needed to swap bases? For example could I get stuck at ORD, even PAST the time I would have been holding a line at LGA?

You can switch things up to your hearts desire. Some new hires are getting LGA others ORD. By the time you're done with IOE (which you can do out of ORD if you'd like) you'll most likely hold ord rsv (if you didn't get it initially assigned). Then each month you'd have an oppertunity to bid LGA. There is no discrimation besides overall seniority when it comes to transfer awards. Furthermore there are tools to see where you'd stand in a bid package in a hypothetical base.

gusrueda
11-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Is there going to be any new expansion over the east coast for Skywest, or new bases for the ERJ? any news?

amcnd
11-28-2018, 11:59 AM
Is there going to be any new expansion over the east coast for Skywest, or new bases for the ERJ? any news?

Well. Not ERJ. We still have 18 more 900’s to take delivery of.. those are “Midwest/East” flying aircraft..

hawk21
11-28-2018, 12:56 PM

CLT presense is growing for Eagle 700s. Being flown out of ORD and DFW.

MarineFly
11-28-2018, 02:32 PM
You can switch things up to your hearts desire. Some new hires are getting LGA others ORD. By the time you're done with IOE (which you can do out of ORD if you'd like) you'll most likely hold ord rsv (if you didn't get it initially assigned). Then each month you'd have an oppertunity to bid LGA. There is no discrimation besides overall seniority when it comes to transfer awards. Furthermore there are tools to see where you'd stand in a bid package in a hypothetical base.

Got it! Thanks man.... I guess the only trick is to try and time your jump to LGA (from ORD, if I get ORD out of the gate) at the precise time when you will rate a Line, but not before (if you don't want to stand rsv in LGA). Sounds like the lag between bidding on a transfer and effecting it is long enough that you'd have to more or less gamble that the seniority when you actually get there is enough to get you a line. That sound right?

baronbvp
11-28-2018, 03:23 PM
I don’t think that’s true. I think you could stay on reserve at ORD until you get a line at LGA. Unless you get a line where they tell you and have to commute until he can get LGA?

I’m new and trying to do the same thing. I live in SAN, will ask for my domicile/line there at first opportunity, but then commute if I get a line in ORD or LGA or wherever until I can get transferred to SAN. I might rather stand reserve in SAN before I got a line, but it sounds like you commute to a line they assign you if needed, instead of just standing reserve where you want. Reserve at home sounds like maybe an extra thing you can volunteer for as well as picking up trips where you live. Do I have that right?

TimetoClimb
11-28-2018, 09:47 PM
Got it! Thanks man.... I guess the only trick is to try and time your jump to LGA (from ORD, if I get ORD out of the gate) at the precise time when you will rate a Line, but not before (if you don't want to stand rsv in LGA). Sounds like the lag between bidding on a transfer and effecting it is long enough that you'd have to more or less gamble that the seniority when you actually get there is enough to get you a line. That sound right?

It's a moving target. The longer you stay on reserve in ORD the more opportunity for guys above you to leave LGA for greener pastures. Not many at the company want LGA so you'll benefit from being the few that do. You bid vacancies at the end of each month for a transfer effective the month after the upcoming ( awards today/tmrw are effective Jan 1.) Don't count on timing it all perfectly. Just wait and when you get to guaranteed lineholder (not target lineholder) territory then jump over.

With all that said, many speculate the future of LGA is unknown and tenuous so you are taking a gamble in that respect as opposed to going to endeavor or republic. Rumors spread like STDs here but nobody really knows until it happens one day.

E6BAV8R
11-29-2018, 05:26 AM

The issue is ATL. A lot of Captains commute to ATL from the west half of the US because they are senior in ATL, but if they can end up holding a line in DFW they are going to transfer to DFW. I know a handful of CA in ATL that are waiting to see how the DFW list plays out after they just opened up a lot of spots there. All of them are looking to transfer if they will end up being able to hold a line there.

Gundriver64
11-29-2018, 01:21 PM

You mentioned FOs holding practically any base after 6 months; including SLC? The SW website for seniority doesn't suggest this.

Cheers,
G

amcnd
11-29-2018, 03:27 PM
DFW basically went to NH’s today. People still in sim..

jtsastre
11-30-2018, 03:57 AM
You mentioned FOs holding practically any base after 6 months; including SLC? The SW website for seniority doesn't suggest this.

Cheers,
G

I went and looked at seniority page you’re referring to, and it does in fact show over a year. However, the most recent award shows a 9/2018 FO awarded SLC on the ERJ.

E6BAV8R
11-30-2018, 07:47 AM

Cheers,
G

As someone else said, the junior person in SLC FO at the moment is only 2 months on property. I hope you aren't going to hold out upgrading to CA in SLC, though. SLC CA is 10+ years seniority and they are still sitting reserve.

Gundriver64
12-01-2018, 03:09 AM
As someone else said, the junior person in SLC FO at the moment is only 2 months on property. I hope you aren't going to hold out upgrading to CA in SLC, though. SLC CA is 10+ years seniority and they are still sitting reserve.

No, of course not. I'd be happy just to get SLC soon after NH training. Own a house in the area and retiring soon (military).

TimetoClimb
12-01-2018, 05:21 AM
CLT presense is growing for Eagle 700s. Being flown out of ORD and DFW.

Can someone explain to me how some 3000+ seniority # guys got a DFW CA spot in the last bid even though there are 45 or more on the standing bid list with 2000 numbers? (some have freezes but not many)
How big is Dallas supposed to get?

amcnd
12-01-2018, 05:49 AM
Can someone explain to me how some 3000+ seniority # guys got a DFW CA spot in the last bid even though there are 45 or more on the standing bid list with 2000 numbers? (some have freezes but not many)

Maybe those that had DFW got awarded there first or second choice... thats a very dynamic thing to figure out... as far as size 120~ i heard (each seat).

Oma4545
12-01-2018, 05:50 AM

Not really sure, could be a total time limitation? I was puzzled about that as well. So as of now the junior captain in DFW is two years seniority, if that. Subject to change of course. I have heard 100 to 120 crews when it is all said and done.

TimetoClimb
12-01-2018, 06:20 AM
Not really sure, could be a total time limitation? I was puzzled about that as well. So as of now the junior captain in DFW is two years seniority, if that. Subject to change of course. I have heard 100 to 120 crews when it is all said and done.

Thanks!

Perfect, I will be the plug when my number comes around but I can live with that.

TimetoClimb
12-01-2018, 06:24 AM
Maybe those that had DFW got awarded there first or second choice... thats a very dynamic thing to figure out... as far as size 120~ i heard (each seat).

Right but if they'd gotten their preference, they'd disappear from the standing bid list. So I'm kinda perplexed but who knows. Looks like most ERJ FOs are being bypassed for transition-upgrade, though ironically the junior DFW CA slots went to formerly erj fos.