Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : End of the MD80 era

tom11011
11-27-2018, 06:58 AM
The last revenue MD80 flight occurred November 26. Let's hope these spent energies can be redirected toward growing the airline into the future.

Releasemaster
11-27-2018, 07:43 AM
The final revenue flight is flt. 3 FAT-LAS on 11/28. The planes are moving to LAS today for this. There will be employees onboard but it is being sold and operated as a revenue flight.

disco inferno
12-01-2018, 09:47 AM
POS won't be missed by anyone other than the Tampa Bay times. They'll have to find another whipping boy I guess.

tyler durden
12-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Great plane when maintained properly. Even when not, still got everyone of us on the ground safely. Yes, pilot skills played a big part but the shady 80 had a good industry safety record and got us to where we are now.

Don't get me wrong, it's time to retire the old gal and I do love the creature comforts and ease of flying lil Fifi, but I'd take the dog over the bus anyday when sh!t hits the fan and things get sideways.

Always got me home.

JustWatching
12-01-2018, 12:02 PM
POS won't be missed by anyone other than the Tampa Bay times. They'll have to find another whipping boy I guess.

Disagree... itíll be missed by many.

MrFriendly7
12-01-2018, 03:21 PM
American still flies alot of md80s

TransWorld
12-01-2018, 04:00 PM
American still flies alot of md80s

American has retired a lot of Mad Dogs over each of the last 2 years. The remaining are scheduled to be parked next fall.

I still kind of miss the Connies. Of course an engine quit on a lot of flights, that is why they needed 3 spares. You could fly level with one engine of four operating, and still make a safe landing. Some of the early flights needed all those installed spares. Later, after the bugs were worked out, it was not uncommon to lose two.

badflaps
12-02-2018, 01:46 AM
American has retired a lot of Mad Dogs over each of the last 2 years. The remaining are scheduled to be parked next fall.

I still kind of miss the Connies. Of course an engine quit on a lot of flights, that is why they needed 3 spares. You could fly level with one engine of four operating, and still make a safe landing. Some of the early flights needed all those installed spares. Later, after the bugs were worked out, it was not uncommon to lose two.
All I can say is: "Double shorted secondary.":eek:

fireman0174
12-02-2018, 04:08 AM

Brother and I flew on a TWA Super Connie from Paris to New York in the day. Still remember looking out the window and seeing those wing tip tanks. Awesome bird.

Have a nice model of the plane at home.

joepilot
12-02-2018, 05:34 AM
And do you remember why nobody over 40 was allowed to fly the Connie?

Joe

BMEP100
12-02-2018, 05:52 AM
All I can say is: "Double shorted secondary.":eek:

The Maddog was the first and last jet Iíve flown where a headset wasnít needed in the cockpit. I loved how quiet it was. Then again, in summer, not wearing a uniform shirt up there was also advised, as they were so damned hot.

My last engine failure in the Connie was the dreaded bmep drop on rotation, followed quickly by rising oil temp and dropping oil pressure. We finished the mission on three. The mechanic did pull ups on the failed engine prop after landing.

TransWorld
12-02-2018, 06:19 AM
Bob Buck wrote about his non-stop with a Connie from LA to London. As everyone knows who read his writing, it is spellbinding.

https://airfactsjournal.com/2014/09/archives-bob-buck-flies-connie-la-london/

For those not familiar with Bob, he started his flying on DC-2s and DC-3s. He retired as a 747 CA. In between, he served as TWA Chief Pilot. He knew Lindbergh. If you want to read more of his exploits, I highly recommend his book of first hand experiences, “North Star over my Left Shoulder”.

tomgoodman
12-02-2018, 07:54 AM
A Long Beach factory instructor explained why the MadDog has a rather useless aux pump switch position: ďWe had a lot of those switches left over from the DC-8 program, so........Ē :D

G4er
12-02-2018, 09:56 AM
At band camp one time I saw a airplane flying. Probably a Connie but not sure, maybe a Mad Dog....
I wanted to squint and get a closer look but we were in the middle of practice and I didnít want to put down my tuba.

badflaps
12-02-2018, 11:35 AM
At band camp one time I saw a airplane flying. Probably a Connie but not sure, maybe a Mad Dog....
I wanted to squint and get a closer look but we were in the middle of practice and I didnít want to put down my tuba.

If there was oil in your tuba, it was a Connie.

captjns
12-02-2018, 11:45 AM
If there was oil in your tuba, it was a Connie.

Are you sure? Those JT-8s are pretty good oiler leakers too. Heck... 727 FEs didn’t do a proper walk around if they didn’t have oil on thier right shoulder.:D

badflaps
12-02-2018, 03:17 PM
Are you sure? Those JT-8s are pretty good oiler leakers too. Heck... 727 FEs didn’t do a proper walk around if they didn’t have oil on thier right shoulder.:D
I'm using my experience, I went right to my seat on the three holer.;)

captjns
12-02-2018, 05:11 PM
I'm using my experience, I went right to my seat on the three holer.;)

I did the walk around training, and made sure I was on the outboard side of the newbie;). No finer bird in the sky than the good old B727... especially the -100.

TransWorld
12-02-2018, 05:55 PM
And do you remember why nobody over 40 was allowed to fly the Connie?

Joe

Better fill us in, Joe. Some of us old timers donít remember and the youngsters donít even know who Connie was. Her three tails was the first thing you noticed.

badflaps
12-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Better fill us in, Joe. Some of us old timers donít remember and the youngsters donít even know who Connie was. Her three tails was the first thing you noticed.

Nobody over 40 could handle three pieces of tail. That was on the board right under the CAA notices.:p

tyler durden
12-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Nobody over 40 could handle three pieces of tail. That was on the board right under the CAA notices.:p

Or 3 holes

TransWorld
12-03-2018, 10:01 AM

Howard Hughes, the excentric billionaire owner of TWA, was the driver of the Connieís development. Over age 40, he flew (he was a record setting pilot) planeloads of Hollywood starlets around on his personal Connie. So I believe he handled quite a few more. Of course, he was one of a kind.

Releasemaster
12-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Rumor is that some of the MD-80s heading to BHM will solider on in service as freighters. Kalitta has been mentioned as a possible buyer.

crxpilot
12-04-2018, 03:47 AM
Rumor is that some of the MD-80s heading to BHM will solider on in service as freighters. Kalitta has been mentioned as a possible buyer.

Good god man, just let it go........just .......let.....it........go!!!!!

https://content.invisioncic.com/r263943/monthly_2017_11/ptafight.gif.ed54fa7bae9d8f217daff8476586d102.gif

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1