Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commuter policy? Reserve/crashpad

scubadiver
11-27-2018, 06:58 PM
What is the commuter policy, in abbreviated form?

I will be commuting to domicile from either RDU or GSO and I am trying to see what bases will be my best options, preferably the more junior ones.

Is there much reserve time involved and what is the likelihood that I will need a crashpad?

Thanks!

Viking6
11-27-2018, 07:22 PM
Basically 4 commuter clauses during a rolling 12 months. They use to be chill about documentation for commuter clauses, but now you will most likely be asked for proof of listing on 2 flight, that would get you in prior to show time. I would be very careful the first year, because they have terminated pilots for excessive occurrences. Reserve would be tough without a crash pad.

scubadiver
11-28-2018, 05:27 AM
Thank you for the reply.

I wasn't trying to find out about the clause part, I am curious as to the policy with getting to work. How does it work here? For example, Endeavor has a policy where if you don't get on your first flight (any airline) they can positive space you on delta/endeavor metal to domicile. Does Republic do anything like that?

I am ok with a crash pad, just wondering how long one would typically look at spending on reserve. I am not picky about base since I am commuting anyway, but I prefer a one leg commute from RDU or GSO.

Thank you again

Viking6
11-28-2018, 05:46 AM
Thank you for the reply.

I wasn't trying to find out about the clause part, I am curious as to the policy with getting to work. How does it work here? For example, Endeavor has a policy where if you don't get on your first flight (any airline) they can positive space you on delta/endeavor metal to domicile. Does Republic do anything like that?

I am ok with a crash pad, just wondering how long one would typically look at spending on reserve. I am not picky about base since I am commuting anyway, but I prefer a one leg commute from RDU or GSO.

Thank you again

Republic doesn’t positive space typicaly and it’s not in our contract. The one exception is if the weather is bad (winter storm, hurricane, etc..). Basically our entire commuter clause is the 4 “free” occurrences per rolling12 months. Doesn’t sound like a big deal, but Republic is big on attendance, and they will terminate you if you abuse the system.

Probably your best base would be DCA, because the base is very commuter friendly. Stay away from outstations, because they’re not commuter friendly. If you give yourself 2 flight, then you will normally be good.

scubadiver
11-28-2018, 05:49 AM
DCA seems like it is pretty commutable for me, LGA is as well and it is more junior so holding a line there would happen sooner, then I could switch bases later once I have the seniority to hold a line there. Seems logical at least. By the time I get through training I should miss IROP season up north, at least I hope.

4V14T0R
11-28-2018, 06:04 AM
DCA seems like it is pretty commutable for me, LGA is as well and it is more junior so holding a line there would happen sooner, then I could switch bases later once I have the seniority to hold a line there. Seems logical at least. By the time I get through training I should miss IROP season up north, at least I hope.

If you do choose LGA, we do a lot of that flying out of RDU on both AA and DL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viking6
11-28-2018, 06:28 AM
Forgot about our flights out of LGA. We do the AA out of DCA, Endeavor does the DL I think. I would definitely go wherever you can hold a line first.

Also commuting on a Republic aircraft obviously gives you a huge advantage. Our AA aircraft have the extra FA JS, which you and get as well.

scubadiver
11-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Looks like the first available class date is August... screw that! I’d love to fly for Republic but not enough to wait 9 months.

4V14T0R
11-28-2018, 12:06 PM
Looks like the first available class date is August... screw that! I’d love to fly for Republic but not enough to wait 9 months.

Yikes! I wouldn’t wait either.

GoNavy
11-28-2018, 06:20 PM
Contemplating going to Republic for first 121 job after being away from flying for a long time. Where does one go to check out crash pads for various domiciles? This is a big consideration for me deciding between Republic and another carrier. Thanks.

4V14T0R
11-28-2018, 10:41 PM
Contemplating going to Republic for first 121 job after being away from flying for a long time. Where does one go to check out crash pads for various domiciles? This is a big consideration for me deciding between Republic and another carrier. Thanks.

Well crashpads are not a company driven thing. What bases were you looking at for either carrier? A place like LGA or ORD will have a ton of crashpads. Somewhere like PIT, not so much.

Web265
11-29-2018, 04:38 AM

In the larger cities (NY, ORD) you'll probably find a selection on the web like at

https://www.mycrewguide.com/commuters.php?disp=22
or
https://blockedinncrashpads.com/crash-pads-in-nyc-jfk-lga/

There were listings on crashpads at some of the other areas (PIT, CMH, IND) on the bulletin board at the school house.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1