Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Gunfighter62
11-28-2018, 04:35 AM
Greetings.

Doing some research to try to find out if SW is a good fit for me and how their program is set up. Forgive the number of questions as im doing my due diligence and answers to any of the following would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Looking at the E-175: How far out do classes start?
What are the hotel arrangements for training? (Gouge says dual occupancy - has this been your experience or has that changed? If shared do they separate suites attached or standard hotel room?)
Realistic Training Timeline for 175 (Understand in DEN for training?)
Since AQP - is the progression similar to a. Systems Val b. Procedures Val. c. Maneuvers Val d. LOFT. e. LOE?
Are you assigned a specific instructor all the way through or does it change each flight? Do you have a training partner or do they change?
Prior to LOFT/LOE what does training look like? Do you get 1-2 normal flights (ie A-B) as a practice for your LOE or is it simply LOFT and LOE?
About how many events (ie sim or ground trainer events) are there?
Are there any breaks in training or ability from time to time to come home to see family during training? About how long if so?
Did you feel prepared for your LOE based on your training - why/why not.
Level of training standardization between instructors and quality of training (scale 1-10 | 1 (Low) 10 (Best)
How has the company treated you in training as a new FO?

Any of the above would be greatly appreciated in that im trying to make a decision relatively soon. Have been reading as much of the other forums and I couldn't find these specifics in the other threads.

Thanks again.

jcullen4
12-01-2018, 04:48 PM
really hoping we can get some responses to these. I'd like to know some of this stuff, also. Thanks for the great Qs.

SuperDec95
12-01-2018, 05:17 PM
Greetings.

Doing some research to try to find out if SW is a good fit for me and how their program is set up. Forgive the number of questions as im doing my due diligence and answers to any of the following would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

[LIST=1]
What are the hotel arrangements for training? (Gouge says dual occupancy - has this been your experience or has that changed? If shared do they separate suites attached or standard hotel room?)

I was assigned a erj 12/28 class. After reading through my new hire packet and from what I learned in the interview I can help with 1-3.

1. Jan erj classes are full so I assume filling Feb class(s) and beyond.

2. Hotel is double occupancy in a standard room with two double beds for the 1 week ATP class if you don't have an ATP yet. New hire ground school is double occupancy in a 2br/2ba suite with a shared common area. There is an option for single occ but you pay half. I was told at least for ground school portion don't waste your money the 2br suites are nice and you have some privacy.

3. Training is 6-7 weeks, SIM is in DEN, SLC, and occasionally Paris. You bid for sim schedule after indoc week once you pair up. After indoc week the transitioning and upgrading pilots show up and join the new hires. From then on its a mix of newbies, transitioning FOs, transitioning CAs, and upgrading FOs.

Hopefully someone further along can expand on this. The DEN training center is brand new and state of the art, I interviewed there. Hotel is right across the street. I was impressed with the facility and the people and am very happy to be joining the SkyWest team. Good luck!

baronbvp
12-02-2018, 06:30 AM
Paris? Which one?

TransWorld
12-02-2018, 06:58 AM
Paris? Which one?

Paris, Missouri. Is there any question?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris,_Missouri

jpso
12-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Greetings.

No idea. Ask pilot recruitment.

expect double occupancy. It's 1 suite so someone gets privacy. The other bed is shoved where the couch would be in an extended stay hotel, so no privacy. Some lucky guys received single occupancy, no idea how though.

Indoc/Ground will likely take place in Salt Lake. Sim training will be at whatever facility has availability. If multiple sim centers are available, they will post a schedule and allow the class to bid for what location/time slot they want based on their seniority. ERJ side probably has delays so, I'm not sure of the total timeline. CRJ timeline should be about 2 months from start of indoc to line qualified and flying.

Since AQP - is the progression similar to a. Systems Val b. Procedures Val. c. Maneuvers Val d. LOFT. e. LOE?
Yes.

Are you assigned a specific instructor all the way through or does it change each flight? Do you have a training partner or do they change?
You will have a sim partner; that partner will be whoever bid for the same location/slot as you. Your training instructor will be the same for your first 5 lessons, then you will have a different instructor for MV. Then you will have a new instructor for LOFT and a different examiner for your LOE.

Prior to LOFT/LOE what does training look like? Do you get 1-2 normal flights (ie A-B) as a practice for your LOE or is it simply LOFT and LOE?
You get 3 LOFT sessions and then LOE.

PRIA events I assume? Indoc, Ground, MV, LOE.

Are there any breaks in training or ability from time to time to come home to see family during training? About how long if so?
CRJ side? No. ERJ, probably?

Yes. LOE is literally a repeat of LOFT you had a day prior. However, the oral part is what will need your attention.

Level of training standardization between instructors and quality of training (scale 1-10 | 1 (Low) 10 (Best)
8 - There's always room for improvement but SkyWest has been the best consistency/quality that I have had.

double occupancy, 65 hours of pay per month. Many other benefits do not become active until after your first year. So, they really don't treat their newest pilots as well as they could and should.

MarineFly
12-02-2018, 12:06 PM
....Many other benefits do not become active until after your first year.

What kind of benefits are not active till 1st year? I'd imagine that travel privileges, medical and dental coverage are immediate.... 401k?

newpilotusa
12-02-2018, 02:23 PM
double occupancy, 65 hours of pay per month. Many other benefits do not become active until after your first year. So, they really don't treat their newest pilots as well as they could and should.

Just wondering, I understand its double occupancy during training however, does it switch to single occupancy when you are actually flying?

SuperDec95
12-02-2018, 02:31 PM
Paris? Which one?

Francais. if there is a Paris in Missouri that's great but I'm pretty sure not there. There's probably a Paris in Kansas too, come one people...

Coriolis147
12-02-2018, 03:16 PM
Just wondering, I understand its double occupancy during training however, does it switch to single occupancy when you are actually flying?

When I went through ERJ initial less than a year ago it was double occupancy with 2 suites. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms with a shared living/dining area. We each had plenty of privacy. This may depend on the hotel. I was at the Staybridge in Denver. Single occupancy after LOE. We also chose our sim partners on the first day of ground and bid for our sim slots together. Our sim partner wasnít whoever bid the same sim slot. I donít know if that process varies with ERJ/CRJ or from class to class.

word302
12-02-2018, 03:30 PM
No idea. Ask pilot recruitment.

expect double occupancy. It's 1 suite so someone gets privacy. The other bed is shoved where the couch would be in an extended stay hotel, so no privacy. Some lucky guys received single occupancy, no idea how though.

Indoc/Ground will likely take place in Salt Lake. Sim training will be at whatever facility has availability. If multiple sim centers are available, they will post a schedule and allow the class to bid for what location/time slot they want based on their seniority. ERJ side probably has delays so, I'm not sure of the total timeline. CRJ timeline should be about 2 months from start of indoc to line qualified and flying.

Yes.

You will have a sim partner; that partner will be whoever bid for the same location/slot as you. Your training instructor will be the same for your first 5 lessons, then you will have a different instructor for MV. Then you will have a new instructor for LOFT and a different examiner for your LOE.

You get 3 LOFT sessions and then LOE.

PRIA events I assume? Indoc, Ground, MV, LOE.

CRJ side? No. ERJ, probably?

Yes. LOE is literally a repeat of LOFT you had a day prior. However, the oral part is what will need your attention.

8 - There's always room for improvement but SkyWest has been the best consistency/quality that I have had.

There is a ton of bad information here. Youíre experience is not how it goes with everyone. ERJ ground is always in Denver. I believe the ERJ guys get an2 bedroom suite. Instructors can change all over your sim training. LOE is definitely not a repeat of LOFT. Did I miss anything else?

amcnd
12-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Isnít it single ocupancy after ground is done?

word302
12-02-2018, 04:37 PM
Isnít it single ocupancy after ground is done?

Not usually unless you travel for sims.

amcnd
12-02-2018, 04:52 PM

Hmmm. Interesting. Ran into some newhires and they said they had there own rooms now. And they are in SLC.. and just started sim..

bradthepilot
12-02-2018, 05:23 PM

It was for everyone in my class last July. And I knew it was going to be that way, since the front desk at the Candlewood told us at check-in that it was double occupancy until sims.

Erj135dude
12-02-2018, 07:16 PM
Man I know some people couldn't care less but it would really make a huge difference if they were offering either single occupancy or a 2 bedroom suite. It's not a damn weekend, it's a long training. Some privacy is vital

word302
12-02-2018, 07:25 PM
Man I know some people couldn't care less but it would really make a huge difference if they were offering either single occupancy or a 2 bedroom suite. It's not a damn weekend, it's a long training. Some privacy is vital

Preaching to the choir. Classes are full so itís likely not changing.

baronbvp
12-02-2018, 07:26 PM
I check in to the Denver ATP-CTP class Dec 10th. Week off for Christmas and then ERJ GS starts 28 Dec, again in Denver. Iíll let everyone know how it works for me. All I ask is that my sim partner doesnít mind my tennis ball bouncing off the walls while we memorize flows, lims, whatever.

journeybird
12-03-2018, 04:51 AM
Crj here, double occupancy (bed replacing couch in common area) until end of ground, ftd onwards it was single.

I was dreading double occupancy but had a great roommate, it worked well to study for indoc and ground. Ended up bidding same sim as well. I know that's not the case for everyone, but there's a chance it won't be so bad.

Check Complete
12-03-2018, 06:20 AM

You are of no use or concern until you can get on line. Until you are making money for the airline, you don't matter. This is nothing compared to the numerous little cuts you will have to endure. Just pray your time on reserve is short.

I have seen on many occasions between double bunking and the stint in hell (reserve) that people have just walked away from SkyWest.

Good luck. BTW I'm pretty sure we are the only company with the summer camp penny pinching BS.

Check Complete
12-03-2018, 06:30 AM
Crj here, double occupancy (bed replacing couch in common area) until end of ground, ftd onwards it was single.

I was dreading double occupancy but had a great roommate, it worked well to study for indoc and ground. Ended up bidding same sim as well. I know that's not the case for everyone, but there's a chance it won't be so bad.

But there is also the chance your roommate, which you don't have any choice over, also likes to walk ala buff or snores like a freight train or likes to drop a Hiroshima size deuce every day before you get your chance in the shared shower.

Did you come here expecting to be treated like an adult?

journeybird
12-03-2018, 08:10 AM
But there is also the chance your roommate, which you don't have any choice over, also likes to walk ala buff or snores like a freight train or likes to drop a Hiroshima size deuce every day before you get your chance in the shared shower.

Also true. Just trying to provide a bit of iron lining.

amcnd
12-03-2018, 11:04 AM

They you act like a adult, talk to the training manager and make other arrangements... instead of b.s.íing about it on APC.... they will listen to your concerns..

Check Complete
12-03-2018, 11:18 AM
They you act like a adult, talk to the training manager and make other arrangements... instead of b.s.íing about it on APC.... they will listen to your concerns..

First of all you really need to proofread better.

Everything I said was mentioned by students, although the deuce drop was more of a joke going on.

Single occupancy rooms are rarely available, it's the student's responsibility to arrange and pay for it, none of it is BS.

Double bunking is for boy scout camp.

sandiegowannabe
12-03-2018, 12:23 PM
I check in to the Denver ATP-CTP class Dec 10th. Week off for Christmas and then ERJ GS starts 28 Dec, again in Denver. Iíll let everyone know how it works for me. All I ask is that my sim partner doesnít mind my tennis ball bouncing off the walls while we memorize flows, lims, whatever.

Have you received any travel, hotel info yet?

V1Rot8t
12-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Iím in the erj dec 28th as well. Spoke with them today and CTP is overbooked so Iíll be going to Dallas next week to ATP instead of DEN for CTP. Said travel will show up on SW online toward end of week.

I feel ok about Skywest overall, but the double occupancy is straight Bull*******. Iím a grown ass man, gotta show up to 1st day in a white shirt black tie like a professional but I got to sleep with another dude in the room and share a shower, really?? Really surprised this double occupancy gets thru legal in this day in age. This is a reason I wish SW was union, this silly sh*t wouldnít fly.

Coriolis147
12-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Iím in the erj dec 28th as well. Spoke with them today and CTP is overbooked so Iíll be going to Dallas next week to ATP instead of DEN for CTP. Said travel will show up on SW online toward end of week.

I feel ok about Skywest overall, but the double occupancy is straight Bull*******. Iím a grown ass man, gotta show up to 1st day in a white shirt black tie like a professional but I got to sleep with another dude in the room and share a shower, really?? Really surprised this double occupancy gets thru legal in this day in age. This is a reason I wish SW was union, this silly sh*t wouldnít fly.

If youíre at the Staybridge youíll have your own bedroom and bathroom.

V1Rot8t
12-03-2018, 03:55 PM
If youíre at the Staybridge youíll have your own bedroom and bathroom.

Hope thatís the case, Iím imagining a double room for two months.......

Coriolis147
12-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Hope thatís the case, Iím imagining a double room for two months.......

I was ready to pay half my living expenses to avoid that nightmare. Everyone in my class and the other classes there at the same time had 2/2 suites. Maybe we just got lucky, maybe itís based on availability, I donít know. Good luck!

V1Rot8t
12-03-2018, 04:02 PM
I was ready to pay half my living expenses to avoid that nightmare. Everyone in my class and the other classes there at the same time had 2/2 suites. Maybe we just got lucky, maybe itís based on availability, I donít know. Good luck!
Thanks, we will see. Hopefully we will all get what you got. I just canít bring myself to pay 2k for something the company should pay for so Iíll make it work either way, just hoping for a little privacy is all.

Check Complete
12-03-2018, 04:17 PM

Remember all this as you recite "I am a SkyWest First Officer, blah, blah, blah" mantra during your first week of the jonestown koolaid fest. You'll know right away this company is based in Utah.

Turbosina
12-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Remember all this as you recite "I am a SkyWest First Officer, blah, blah, blah" mantra during your first week of the jonestown koolaid fest. You'll know right away this company is based in Utah.

Ok maybe it's been a while but does the company actually require anyone to recite that? If that happened during my new hire training, which was around 1500 days ago, I must have mentally blocked it out...

gusrueda
12-03-2018, 08:32 PM

Do you know if they are going to send us home for Christmas, or, are we supposed to buy our own ticket for the holiday and then come back for the 12/28 erj ground

jtsastre
12-03-2018, 09:47 PM

I was hired back in 2012 and had a roommate. I hated the fact of having a hotel room-roommate, after already going through 121 training, but I actually enjoyed it, as we ended up getting along and then doing the sim together. We ended up graduating through the entire SKW program together.

MrFriendly7
12-03-2018, 10:10 PM
This whole shared room bs is why I didnt come to skywest + no union + horror stories of endless hot reserve! Good luck guys.

UnderCenter
12-04-2018, 03:40 AM
horror stories of endless hot reserve! Good luck guys.

I sit ďhotĒ (I assume you mean ready) reserve maybe 2 times a month and will hold a line 6 months after my indoc date.

V1Rot8t
12-04-2018, 04:37 AM
Do you know if they are going to send us home for Christmas, or, are we supposed to buy our own ticket for the holiday and then come back for the 12/28 erj ground

Iíve been asking this same question, was told yesterday that CTP in Denver then they do not pay for you to go back home, youíd have to buy your own ticket home and back. I then asked ďso then you are paying for me to stay in the hotel in the interim until ground startsĒ and I never got an answer on this. Iíd be interested to see what they do but in my mind they either pay to send you home or pay to stay... (I understand you want to go home either way)

V1Rot8t
12-04-2018, 04:43 AM
This whole shared room bs is why I didnt come to skywest + no union + horror stories of endless hot reserve! Good luck guys.

I hear yah, but for my decision OO has many bases that are easily commutable for me as FO and CA, and if your willing to upgrade on CRJ then I can upgrade quickly. Lack of union and the shared room sucks, but Iíll get thru it. If the base issue wasnít a problem for me Iíd be going to RAH, still think YX leads the regionals at this moment in time.

baronbvp
12-04-2018, 06:35 AM
Iíve been asking this same question, was told yesterday that CTP in Denver then they do not pay for you to go back home, youíd have to buy your own ticket home and back. I then asked ďso then you are paying for me to stay in the hotel in the interim until ground startsĒ and I never got an answer on this. Iíd be interested to see what they do but in my mind they either pay to send you home or pay to stay... (I understand you want to go home either way)

I had to buy my own round trip ticket home and back. Others may have to buy two one-ways if they do CTP in Dallas but DEN for ground school.

The hotel for CTP in Denver is different than the one weíre in for GS, so even if you stayed over Christmas week, youíd have to check out anyway before or after your ATP Written. That hotel is the one where you share a room - two double beds in one hotel room. We can hack that for a week.

The Staybridge where we stay for GS starting the 28th is apparently a 2BR/2BA suite so sharing shouldnít be an issue IMO.

V1Rot8t
12-04-2018, 07:03 AM
I had to buy my own round trip ticket home and back. Others may have to buy two one-ways if they do CTP in Dallas but DEN for ground school.

The hotel for CTP in Denver is different than the one weíre in for GS, so even if you stayed over Christmas week, youíd have to check out anyway before or after your ATP Written. That hotel is the one where you share a room - two double beds in one hotel room. We can hack that for a week.

The Staybridge where we stay for GS starting the 28th is apparently a 2BR/2BA suite so sharing shouldnít be an issue IMO.

I hear you. On the other hand, in my opinion, this is not a discussion regarding if we can handle it. Sure we can. I can handle sleeping in a tent in Alaska on a sheep hunt with farting snoring guys so I'm certain I can handle sleeping with someone else in a double room in relative comfort. The issue is that we shouldn't be asked to. No other airline is currently doing double occupancy to my knowledge and with the leaps and bounds that have been made in the industry (mainly bc the ATP rule reduced supply) this should be phased out. This is a small gripe in the scheme of things & I'm going to roll with it and make the best of it. I'm sure chances are I'll have a good roommate and positive experience, it seems most echo that message after completion. The reason this isn't going to change is simple: I still chose OO, other people are still flocking to OO, so why not save 60K per 30 new-hires. I just like privacy at the end of the day/night, but OO is my choice and this will be the last time i b*tch about it. This is my only gripe so far (said by someone not on property yet), at end of the day a regional is a regional and im sure the gripe list will grow! New-hires are in much better situation than they were in times past (go read Squawk 7700 by P. Buffington). I'm gonna make the best out of my time at OO and looking forward to class!

baronbvp
12-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Copy all.

I also think itís stupid that the required ATP-CTP course doesnít prepare you for the ATP Written, meaning we all have to buy Sheppard Air ATM prep software and study on our own before the class, and then take the written after the class. If this is the model now, it should all be integrated and designed to produce successful ATP pilots - especially for us former military guys who may not be familiar with certain aspects of civilian/airline flying such as Jepp charts, weight and balance calculations, and civilian weather services. Itís a lot to learn in a short period of time and the process is sub-optimized.

V1Rot8t
12-04-2018, 08:21 AM
Copy all.

I also think itís stupid that the required ATP-CTP course doesnít prepare you for the ATP Written, meaning we all have to buy Sheppard Air ATM prep software and study on our own before the class, and then take the written after the class. If this is the model now, it should all be integrated and designed to produce successful ATP pilots - especially for us former military guys who may not be familiar with certain aspects of civilian/airline flying such as Jepp charts, weight and balance calculations, and civilian weather services. Itís a lot to learn in a short period of time and the process is sub-optimized.

Yep, First thing they told me what that "this course will not prepare you for the ATP written". Ive used Sheppard Air for every written so that's what I'm doing. Good luck with it!

baronbvp
12-04-2018, 11:23 AM
Danke schŲn!

Does anyone know if there is any study material we should bring to GS? Like our copy of Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot or The Turbine Pilotís Flight Manual? I believe they said everything will be provided, but I have notes in some of my books so Iíd rather have my copy than a generic copy. But Iím also not looking to pack unneeded books.

jpso
12-04-2018, 12:32 PM
What kind of benefits are not active till 1st year? I'd imagine that travel privileges, medical and dental coverage are immediate.... 401k?

65 hours of pay in training.
double occupancy hotel in ground/sim (I had double for both)
No uniform allowance until after first year.
No 401K matching until after first year.

I also think there is no pilot profit sharing until after first year; maybe someone can clarify that.

jcullen4
12-04-2018, 12:49 PM

I was definitely lied to during my interview if this is the case.

jcullen4
12-04-2018, 12:53 PM

Jeesh...:mad:
Their website literally says they supply uniforms for new hire pilots.

Check Complete
12-04-2018, 02:53 PM

You will find there is a vast difference from what you could normally expect as a professional pilot to what you will receive.

There are no words to describe the living hell of reserve.

baronbvp
12-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Donít they give us the first set of uniforms free, but we pay for the blazer or flight jacket and the optional hat? Then after a year you get an allowance for additional or replacement items? Thatís how I understood it.

word302
12-04-2018, 03:09 PM
Donít they give us the first set of uniforms free, but we pay for the blazer or flight jacket and the optional hat? Then after a year you get an allowance for additional or replacement items? Thatís how I understood it.

This is correct

word302
12-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Copy all.

Unfortunately the FAA mandates what gets taught in the CTP course.

Erj135dude
12-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Honestly, I don't care about the indoctrination/Utah/Kool Aid thing. At the end of the day this is a job, and any company in the world has pros/cons. Choose the one with less cons, and enjoy/embrace the pros, it's that simple.

On a regional level, and it's just my opinion, it's all about career progression and quality training. Of course each person is different, and some people will value more other things like pay or more schedule flexibility. Overall, I think OO is a clear winner for me.

Now, the single occupancy is something I won't ever understand lol. But worst case scenario I'll pay the difference and get a single room. No one deserves to hear or smell my evil farts :D

bradthepilot
12-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Ok maybe it's been a while but does the company actually require anyone to recite that? If that happened during my new hire training, which was around 1500 days ago, I must have mentally blocked it out...

No, it wasnít required last June/July either. Iíve wondered sometimes if that guy really works for OO given some of his erroneous statements.

jpso
12-04-2018, 05:52 PM
I sit ďhotĒ (I assume you mean ready) reserve maybe 2 times a month and will hold a line 6 months after my indoc date.

Just as contrast to your statement; I had ready 7 times in November and, that's not ready that's added on after or before an assigned trip. This was actually scheduled, 0745-1545 ready.

jpso
12-04-2018, 05:56 PM

They will supply two short and one long sleeve shirt and, two pants. Your uniform allowance does not start till after one year though. So a blazer/jacket/hat is out of your own pocket within the first year.

V1Rot8t
12-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Just as contrast to your statement; I had ready 7 times in November and, that's not ready that's added on after or before an assigned trip. This was actually scheduled, 0745-1545 ready.

What airframe you on? Are you flying any of this or just sitting?

bradthepilot
12-04-2018, 06:22 PM
65 hours of pay in training.
double occupancy hotel in ground/sim (I had double for both)

I also think there is no pilot profit sharing until after first year; maybe someone can clarify that.

Check your 9/14 pay stub on SWOL. However small, you should have received something from the PPS. It's the other stuff that doesn't kick in for a year.

zondaracer
12-04-2018, 08:07 PM
Now, the single occupancy is something I won't ever understand lol. But worst case scenario I'll pay the difference and get a single room. No one deserves to hear or smell my evil farts :D

Then why do you make me hear and smell them?

Erj135dude
12-04-2018, 08:55 PM
Then why do you make me hear and smell them?

You do Deserve it

jpso
12-05-2018, 03:20 AM
What airframe you on? Are you flying any of this or just sitting?

CRJ. Three out of seven times I was called. They also toss ready at the end of pairings pretty regularly too.

Coriolis147
12-05-2018, 04:00 PM
Not really. That’s the job.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1