Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : International Commuting?

V1Rotate
12-01-2018, 10:46 AM
So here is my thought process. There is simply no place in the US that I want to live that I can live in without a massive mortgage, or exorbitant rent, or that is going to be under water the next time a Cat 5 storm hits in the case of FL. I'm also disillusioned with this society for a plethora of other reasons that I'll not get into here.

So here is my thinking. Many of these cargo carriers ATI, Atlas, ABX, Western Global and so on seem to have schedules that would be conducive to a longer commute. I'm aware of the distinction between home-basing and the system that say Atlas uses that means getting soaked by the IRS with imputed income.

Anyway, my question is this. Which, if any of these carriers will airline you from a foreign destination, say Costa Rica?

Thanks!

RyeMex
12-01-2018, 10:57 AM
Youd have to ask someone who works there to be sure, but Id say checking with K4 would probably be your best bet.

nitefr8dog
12-01-2018, 11:08 AM
So here is my thought process. There is simply no place in the US that I want to live that I can live in without a massive mortgage, or exorbitant rent, or that is going to be under wI9nIater the next time a Cat 5 storm hits in the case of FL. I'm also disillusioned with this society for a plethora of other reasons that I'll not get into here.

So here is my thinking. Many of these cargo carriers ATI, Atlas, ABX, Western Global and so on seem to have schedules that would be conducive to a longer commute. I'm aware of the distinction between home-basing and the system that say Atlas uses that means getting soaked by the IRS with imputed income.

Anyway, my question is this. Which, if any of these carriers will airline you from a foreign destination, say Costa Rica?

Thanks!
ABX flys MROC to KMIA then KCVG every night. A bit of a pain to get to the cargo area though. You have to make arrangements with a handler who would take you through security then through the terminal...then van transport to the aircraft. For our company pilots DH on business from MROC, commercial travel handles the paperwork and billing...like I said its a bit of a pain.

nitefr8dog
12-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Youd have to ask someone who works there to be sure, but Id say checking with K4 would probably be your best bet.
I have never seen K4 in MROC. Not in the last 10 yrs I have been flying through there weekly anyway. Maybe they do day flights. Delta, United, and Spirit allow International JS.

TiredSoul
12-01-2018, 11:21 AM
I know many that do.
The higher your seniority the better it will work.
Start out by living close to a destination of your chosen carrier.
For instance Atlas flies into Bogota, Colombia.
I wouldnt risk trying to jumpseat on other carriers.
Jumpseat into Miami then gateway travel to your base.
Which in case of Atlas will be Anchorage for the first 6-9 months.

If I were single Id live in base for the probationary year and use that time to figure out the system and where to live.

bamike
12-01-2018, 11:33 AM
If you're serious about doing this make sure you talk to a good expat accountant before you move. You will end up owing federal income taxes because technically you're still working in the US. However, if you can get your affairs in order and relocate to a state with no state income tax BEFORE moving overseas, you may save 5-10% a year of your income.

Also, since you live in a foreign country but work in the US, the IRS considers your tax home to be the US. It's possible that you end up having to pay taxes in both US and a foreign country, since the benefits of any tax treaty might not apply.

Be really careful with this, it will probably cost you more money than you're trying to save. Better to live somewhere cheap in America.

maxjet
12-01-2018, 11:50 AM
So here is my thought process. There is simply no place in the US that I want to live that I can live in without a massive mortgage, or exorbitant rent, or that is going to be under water the next time a Cat 5 storm hits in the case of FL. I'm also disillusioned with this society for a plethora of other reasons that I'll not get into here.

Thanks!

K4 will NOT fly you from an airport that is not in the USA. It is your responsibility to get to the US city that you have chosen. That being said, we have pilots who live internationally and they make it work. Just not with airline tickets from K4. If you can airline to where one of our planes is you can ride back to the US on us. Here are no commuter clauses.

TiredSoul
12-01-2018, 12:04 PM
You also asked the exact same question a year ago.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/108785-international-commuting-atlas-air.html

Riverside
12-01-2018, 12:11 PM
You also asked the exact same question a year ago.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/cargo/108785-international-commuting-atlas-air.html

Short term memory

maxjet
12-01-2018, 01:59 PM

Thanks!

CAN YOU READ THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH?????? Chris Tucker to V1 rotate after telling him the same thing over a year ago

V1Rotate
12-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Short term memory

My question a year ago was about taxes, not about commuting on individual airlines. I now assume that I would still be paying US income tax while I worked there.

Your condescension is unwarranted, hostile, and silly. But thanks for your interest.

navigatro
12-01-2018, 02:48 PM
you sound angry. there are plenty of nice affordable safe places to live in the US. Your QOL will suck big time with an international commute. That said, I wish you the best of luck.

gollum
12-01-2018, 04:03 PM
I have never seen K4 in MROC. Not in the last 10 yrs I have been flying through there weekly anyway. Maybe they do day flights. Delta, United, and Spirit allow International JS.

I think he was alluding to K4 buying ticket from there to the states to go to/from work , not about deadheading or operating a flight out of there.

Cujo665
12-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Western Global now advertising pilots may live anywhere and still receive travel to/from work.

V1Rotate
12-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Short term memory

I posted a reply about two hours ago, but I've not seen it yet, so I'm re-posting. The question I asked a year ago was not identical to this, I was asking about paying US taxes if I lived in another country. And I got that question answered satisfactorily. I'm assuming I would still be paying US taxes working for ATI or whatever while living abroad.

The intention of this question was to get an idea of commuter policies at different cargo carriers as they pertain to international commuting. I think people like Riverside are just looking for excuses to be condescending.

BluePAX
12-01-2018, 06:03 PM
I think you may need thicker skin to keep your sanity intact in the ACMI business.

Riverside
12-01-2018, 06:57 PM
I posted a reply about two hours ago, but I've not seen it yet, so I'm re-posting. The question I asked a year ago was not identical to this, I was asking about paying US taxes if I lived in another country. And I got that question answered satisfactorily. I'm assuming I would still be paying US taxes working for ATI or whatever while living abroad.

The intention of this question was to get an idea of commuter policies at different cargo carriers as they pertain to international commuting. I think people like Riverside are just looking for excuses to be condescending.

Ha that's cute.

V1Rotate
12-01-2018, 07:36 PM
Ha that's cute.

Two separate questions, taxes, commuting. I know that's complicated, but try to understand.

JohnBurke
12-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Western Global now advertising pilots may live anywhere and still receive travel to/from work.

http://www.westernglobalairlines.com/_wss/clients/152/assets/c152_job_postings/20180403124702738.pdf

Riverside
12-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Two separate questions, taxes, commuting. I know that's complicated, but try to understand.

Oh... I thought we were talking about commuting policies. You were talking about money in both forums. Especially that both threads are named "international commuting."

No Land 3
12-01-2018, 09:53 PM
I don't like liberals either, but I'd sooner move to a less compromised state than ever think about leaving the country. TN and TX are both good choices with no income tax. FL is fine too, hurricanes are over hyped, they really need to score a direct hit on you.

HercDriver130
12-03-2018, 08:33 PM
K4 will NOT fly you from an airport that is not in the USA. It is your responsibility to get to the US city that you have chosen. That being said, we have pilots who live internationally and they make it work. Just not with airline tickets from K4. If you can airline to where one of our planes is you can ride back to the US on us. Here are no commuter clauses.

NOT entirely true.... I know guys living abroad who at times the company has bought them tickets ,,,, there is NO absolute with this situation MAX. That said.. the official policy is you are on your own.... the reality at times may be slightly different.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1