Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Bwipilot
12-01-2018, 12:01 PM
My title asks it all: Since when is Sun Country a major?

Mciflyboy
12-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Why do you care?

Should it be under a regional carrier? There’s plenty of other LCCs on here.

Major = Delta, United , American

FollowMe
12-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Since it shifted its operating model from a destination carrier to a network carrier. The colloquial terms that used to identify the airline segments have become outdated as operating principles have shifted, ala “Regional” carriers which in many cases now have a larger network structure than some LCCs.

Maybe it is time for a rework of our segmentation vernacular.

3rdGen
12-01-2018, 05:30 PM
My title asks it all: Since when is Sun Country a major?
The definition of a “major” is based off of revenue in a fiscal year...

LumberJack
12-02-2018, 12:27 AM
Even 'regional' airline is out of whack. SkyWest is more of a major than Sun Country in terms of sheer size.

Maybe these groupings:

Major - DAL UAL AAL FDX UPS SWA
LCC - Spirit Frontier Sun Country Allegiant JetBlue Alaska
FFD - SKW XJT ENY ARW etc.

Skyward
12-02-2018, 12:34 AM
Why do you care?

Should it be under a regional carrier? There’s plenty of other LCCs on here.

Major = Delta, United , American

Don’t confuse “major” with “legacy”

Major = more than $1B revenue in a fiscal year as defined by the DOT. Some “regionals” could technically be “majors” per the actual DOT’s definition.

Legacy = an airline that had routes before the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978. (I.e., United, American, Delta, Alaska, Hawiian and several others that are now bankrupt)

LCC is really just an industry term that doesn’t have a definitive meaning today, IMO. A “no-frills” or cheap-ticket airline, but you could potentially spend less on your Delta coach ticket on a 737 than a SWA ticket and not really have any more “frills”. The term is not officially defined.

A National Carrier is officially defined as a US air carrier with revenue between $100M and $1B, but you don’t hear that term used much anymore

NotMrNiceGuy
12-02-2018, 01:06 AM
It’s only because it made the most since on APC. Sun Country needed a sub-forum. With APC’s setup, the Major section would be the logical first place to look.

But I take your point. Definitions don’t mean much these days and most people couldn’t be bothered with referencing a dictionary or some other source document to verify whatever argument they intend to make.