Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : 2 weeks notice!

E175 Driver
12-07-2018, 11:37 AM
Feels good. Networking really paid off!

You can sit and waste precious time for the flow to happen or you can network and make IT happen.

The choice is yours...

Cela vie

SilentLurker
12-07-2018, 11:58 AM

You can sit and waste precious time for the flow to happen or you can network and make IT happen.

The choice is yours...

Cela vie

Best of luck and fortune! Mainline, Cargo-Mainline, LLC, ULLC?

E175 Driver
12-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Best of luck and fortune! Mainline, Cargo-Mainline, LLC, ULLC?

Mainline.!

3GreenKSNA
12-07-2018, 06:38 PM
All the salt is leaving the eagles nest, first HardLemonade, now you.....

-Keep the dirty side down

NoValueAviator
12-08-2018, 05:16 AM
how much TPIC?

itsmytime
12-08-2018, 06:40 AM
All the salt is leaving the eagles nest, first HardLemonade, now you.....

-Keep the dirty side down

Where did HardLemonade end up?

Cyio
12-08-2018, 09:25 AM
how much TPIC?

Probably the flow. I still say they are just a senior captain here and their number finally came up.

Either way though, congratulations and best of luck.

E175 Driver
12-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Probably the flow. I still say they are just a senior captain here and their number finally came up.

Either way though, congratulations and best of luck.

Street hire. Two years at envoy, kept the flow as backup.

If you don't get picked by any Major or heck a LCC, you ain't trying enough.

rswitz
12-10-2018, 12:51 PM

Or lack of a 4 year if not in a flow program

bigtime209
12-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Or lack of a 4 year if not in a flow program

It'd be extremely difficult to get on with a legacy carrier without a 4 year degree. But very doable to get on at places like Jet Blue, Spirit, Frontier, etc. without a 4 year degree. I have several personal friends who left other regionals to work at these carriers without degrees.

SilentLurker
12-10-2018, 05:14 PM

Congrats again! Very happy your outta here and moving upward! Wish you the best in all you do.

Donít pull the ladder up from under you, and please remember, donít throw molded crumbs at the bottom feeders.

uavking
12-10-2018, 05:19 PM

Not a check airman, little PIC, probably no time in the service; what the heck is AA HR looking for if these wickets don't have value?

pitchattitude
12-10-2018, 05:59 PM
Not a check airman, little PIC, probably no time in the service; what the heck is AA HR looking for if these wickets don't have value?
Nepotism ?

SoFloFlyer
12-10-2018, 09:38 PM
Long time lurker here and itís awesome to see someone move on up!!

Cyio
12-11-2018, 04:04 AM
It'd be extremely difficult to get on with a legacy carrier without a 4 year degree. But very doable to get on at places like Jet Blue, Spirit, Frontier, etc. without a 4 year degree. I have several personal friends who left other regionals to work at these carriers without degrees.

Yeah but then what? You still either need to finish your degree or resign to staying on where you are.

NoValueAviator
12-11-2018, 06:55 AM
It is a weird hire until you remember that you don't know what A321 Driver looks like.

ERAUAV8TR
12-14-2018, 07:01 PM

The choice is yours...

Cela vie

Very weird post...to come on here and start a new thread...at least make it educational

highfarfast
12-14-2018, 09:09 PM
Very weird post...to come on here and start a new thread...at least make it educational

It was educational. Donít sit around waiting on flow. A LOT of pilots at this airline need to learn that lesson.

Emerald
12-15-2018, 03:00 AM
AA or another mainline carrier?

bronc
12-15-2018, 06:48 AM

The choice is yours...

Cela vie

Gonna need some clarification on the last line here lmao

3EngineTaxi
12-15-2018, 07:19 AM
Guys, this is a troll thread. E175Driver just loves to post silly things to get people riled up. It's not real.

That being said, everyone should have his applications out and update them regularly. It's rare but not impossible to get hired at a major long before the flow.

E175 Driver
12-15-2018, 08:14 AM
AA or another mainline carrier?

AA

Filler...

highfarfast
12-15-2018, 08:54 AM
It's rare but not impossible to get hired at a major long before the flow.

If by Ďmajorí you mean AA, then I agree. AA doesnít hire a lot of non-flow/non-military so yeah itís rare.

But if you really meant any major, itís only rare because so few pilots here are actively working to get to a major. Flow has made this pilot group very complacent.

mketch11
12-15-2018, 09:11 AM
If by Ďmajorí you mean AA, then I agree. AA doesnít hire a lot of non-flow/non-military so yeah itís rare.

But if you really meant any major, itís only rare because so few pilots here are actively working to get to a major. Flow has made this pilot group very complacent.

Iím projected to flow in another 3 years. Currently with 2000TT, 1000TT in 121 and zero PIC. Please let me know which of these ďactivitiesĒ I should pursue that will realistically get me to ďany majorĒ long before the flow. Emphasis on realistic.

havick206
12-15-2018, 09:19 AM
I’m projected to flow in another 3 years. Currently with 2000TT, 1000TT in 121 and zero PIC. Please let me know which of these “activities” I should pursue that will realistically get me to “any major” long before the flow. Emphasis on realistic.

Check airman and PIC 121 time and actively updating your app/hours at the end of each trip seems to be the secret sauce. Having a connect via networking is also key.

griff312
12-15-2018, 10:35 AM
Check airman and PIC 121 time and actively updating your app/hours at the end of each trip seems to be the secret sauce. Having a connect via networking is also key.

And a 4 year degree.

pitchattitude
12-15-2018, 11:06 AM
And a 4 year degree.
I think this may be the case here, but not sure. Some think they will flow before they can get it or just too lazy.

highfarfast
12-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Iím projected to flow in another 3 years. Currently with 2000TT, 1000TT in 121 and zero PIC. Please let me know which of these ďactivitiesĒ I should pursue that will realistically get me to ďany majorĒ long before the flow. Emphasis on realistic.

I usually ask the captains i fly with if they have their apps out and they usually say yes. I then ask when the last time they updated their apps. They hem and hah until finally settling on "it s been a few months".

In other words, they are being complacent. Which, for them, means they will flow before they are hired. But it doesnt mean it has to be the same for everyone.

pitchattitude
12-15-2018, 02:27 PM
So when do you upgrade? If you have been at Envoy and have 1000 hours you should be upgrading. Taking the standing bid MAY NOT be the quickest way to 121 PIC time. But the thing you could have controlled was ACTIVELY picking up as much OT as possible and transferring to the base that gives you the most seniority. The same is true with upgrade. PREFERENCE bid to the base and equipment that gives you the most seniority. More relative seniority is the only thing you can really control but may have to be willing to sacrifice to get it. Same with picking up OT. Did you take your vacation, or work it?

You have to have 300 hours PIC to be an IOE Instructor.

Rakk6
12-15-2018, 06:31 PM

If he did get picked up by AA, then E175Driver got picked up without 121 PIC time and relatively short time in 121 world. My belief was that this is not common. Anyone else know of someone with same/similar experience getting to a legacy carrier without 121 PIC time? If so, what's the magic formula?

highfarfast
12-15-2018, 07:11 PM
If he did get picked up by AA, then E175Driver got picked up without 121 PIC time and relatively short time in 121 world. My belief was that this is not common. Anyone else know of someone with same/similar experience getting to a legacy carrier without 121 PIC time? If so, what's the magic formula?

I was talking about majors, not legacy. THAT is the most important point to take from what I said and you seem to be hearing. However...

1) 175Driver can correct me if I’m wrong but I could have sworn I saw a post or two a while back indicating he upgarded to 145 captain. That would not only make him captain with PIC but give him another major training event (hiring departments like recent long term training) and also an extra type rating (can’t hurt).

2) Legacy Delta has hired from the right seat. However, I do not know what gets the interview for them. I have an application with them and would run there if called but it’s not a primary target for me.

3) If you work with a hiring consultant, they will tell you that AA is the hardest one to figure out. What seems to work one month will not work next month. All you can do is put yourself in the best position possible and hope you get the call. And by the way, part of putting yourself in the best position possible involves updating your application often.

Ultimately, you don’t know if you don’t try. And so many here don’t even seem to be truely trying. And then those same people complain when they see someone hired OTS ‘out of seniority order’.

NoValueAviator
12-15-2018, 08:07 PM
Uh, AA says openly at events that they look for 1000 hrs. m/e turbine PIC.

highfarfast
12-15-2018, 08:46 PM
Uh, AA says openly at events that they look for 1000 hrs. m/e turbine PIC.

Only matters if youíre AA or bust.

AND

Not everyone comes here with 0 m/e turbine PIC.

Smutter
12-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Well at least if 175 driver is telling the truth we will find out he is. Just look at the new hire list for the next couple of months and when you see someone from envoy not part of flow we know it's him.

dera
12-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Well at least if 175 driver is telling the truth we will find out he is. Just look at the new hire list for the next couple of months and when you see someone from envoy not part of flow we know it's him.

Eh?
There's quite a few Envoy guys going to AA outside the flow.

Folove
12-15-2018, 10:05 PM
It was educational. Donít sit around waiting on flow. A LOT of pilots at this airline need to learn that lesson.

THISSS

Filler

BarrySeal
12-15-2018, 10:09 PM
so an regional pilot goes to a Big-3 ?

isn't that what is supposed to happen ?

this is news now ?

:confused:

Pedro4President
12-15-2018, 10:47 PM
so an regional pilot goes to a Big-3 ?

isn't that what is supposed to happen ?

this is news now ?

:confused:

Well the confusion comes from the fact that this post is from our resident troll. Is he trolling or did he actually get hired?

moon
12-16-2018, 12:40 AM
Eh?

Not really. 19 in 2018 6 in 2017 and 11 in 2016 according to a recent company email.

ag386
12-16-2018, 03:19 AM
I was talking about majors, not legacy. THAT is the most important point to take from what I said and you seem to be hearing. However...

1) 175Driver can correct me if Iím wrong but I could have sworn I saw a post or two a while back indicating he upgarded to 145 captain. That would not only make him captain with PIC but give him another major training event (hiring departments like recent long term training) and also an extra type rating (canít hurt).

2) Legacy Delta has hired from the right seat. However, I do not know what gets the interview for them. I have an application with them and would run there if called but itís not a primary target for me.

3) If you work with a hiring consultant, they will tell you that AA is the hardest one to figure out. What seems to work one month will not work next month. All you can do is put yourself in the best position possible and hope you get the call. And by the way, part of putting yourself in the best position possible involves updating your application often.

Ultimately, you donít know if you donít try. And so many here donít even seem to be truely trying. And then those same people complain when they see someone hired OTS Ďout of seniority orderí.

Don't discount the LCCs. Jetblue, Spirit, Allegiant and now Frontier. Those options can provide you a quick exit from Envoy and boost your resume with recent training and an Airbus type.

I left for Allegiant primarily to have the ability to drive to work. I got hired there at the right time and moved to the left seat of the Bus right at the 1 year mark. I updated all of my apps weekly from that point and eventually received a call from Delta. They hired me and at that time I had a little over 400 121 PIC. All in the Bus at Allegiant.

My time at Envoy helped with the resume but I had planned to stay long term at Allegiant and never thought Delta would look at me so early. During the interview, they were impressed with the recency of my training. Initial at Allegiant in the Bus and upgrade 1 year later.

All that to say. Don't bank on this flow. And don't discount the LCCs. Once I had transitioned to Allegiant, the treatment of the pilot group was far more professional than anything I ever had at Envoy.

moon
12-16-2018, 05:14 AM
Don't discount the LCCs. Jetblue, Spirit, Allegiant and now Frontier. Those options can provide you a quick exit from Envoy and boost your resume with recent training and an Airbus type.

I left for Allegiant primarily to have the ability to drive to work. I got hired there at the right time and moved to the left seat of the Bus right at the 1 year mark. I updated all of my apps weekly from that point and eventually received a call from Delta. They hired me and at that time I had a little over 400 121 PIC. All in the Bus at Allegiant.

My time at Envoy helped with the resume but I had planned to stay long term at Allegiant and never thought Delta would look at me so early. During the interview, they were impressed with the recency of my training. Initial at Allegiant in the Bus and upgrade 1 year later.

All that to say. Don't bank on this flow. And don't discount the LCCs. Once I had transitioned to Allegiant, the treatment of the pilot group was far more professional than anything I ever had at Envoy.

This is good advice. Everyone I know who got hired at a legacy went to an LCC before getting the call.

Smutter
12-16-2018, 06:16 AM
Eh?

Not sure where you get that from, but actually no, it's quite a small number

mketch11
12-16-2018, 06:28 AM

If you donít mind me asking, how long did it take you to get to Delta? Assuming you started at Envoy? And what was you total time when you got to delta as well?

ag386
12-16-2018, 06:45 AM
If you donít mind me asking, how long did it take you to get to Delta? Assuming you started at Envoy? And what was you total time when you got to delta as well?

Came to Envoy as a CFI only with 1600 hours. Slightly under 2 at Envoy, slightly under 2 at Allegiant. Hired at Delta a little over 4k. 4 year. Habitat for Humanity on the res. Volunteered on safety committee at Allegiant as well.

Best thing about moving to an LCC is big time improvement in QOL and large pay bump from Envoy. Getting "stuck" there wouldn't have been the end of the world.

mketch11
12-16-2018, 07:18 AM
Came to Envoy as a CFI only with 1600 hours. Slightly under 2 at Envoy, slightly under 2 at Allegiant. Hired at Delta a little over 4k. 4 year. Habitat for Humanity on the res. Volunteered on safety committee at Allegiant as well.

Best thing about moving to an LCC is big time improvement in QOL and large pay bump from Envoy. Getting "stuck" there wouldn't have been the end of the world.

Thanks for sharing. Iím in a similar situation at the 2 year mark and I also applied to allegiant a while back. If I knew I could be at delta in 4 years instead of American in 5, I would make the jump. But my luck Iíd be the one who gets stuck and regretting it down the road. High risk/high reward. Perhaps too high for me at this point.

E175 Driver
12-16-2018, 07:42 AM

I do have 121 PIC since I upgraded on the E145. Network my butt off and met the right people at the right time(jumpseat);) helped tons.

4 yr degree from THE ERAU seal the deal.

dera
12-16-2018, 08:33 AM
Not sure where you get that from, but actually no, it's quite a small number

Just under 20 and trending higher. It's not an insignificant number. Getting close to 10% of flows.

pitchattitude
12-16-2018, 08:47 AM
Just under 20 and trending higher. It's not an insignificant number. Getting close to 10% of flows.
Not insignificant, but barely 2% of what American hired for the year. And what that number and the union number donít show is what the background of the guys being picked up outside the flow is. Most should have never been at Envoy. Usually military with a lack of recency. Some have ďother attributesĒ that no one but God had control of. And I still think E175ís daddy is at AA.

bigtime209
12-16-2018, 08:51 AM

That's 2% of the hiring for 2018. I wouldn't call it significant.

moon
12-16-2018, 08:59 AM

It's barely 1% of our pilot group in the last 2 years. I'd call that insignificant.

Pedro4President
12-16-2018, 10:32 AM
It's barely 1% of our pilot group in the last 2 years. I'd call that insignificant.

When you look at non Military OTS hired by AA that number might look a bit more significant. It looks to increase next year.

pitchattitude
12-16-2018, 11:00 AM
When you look at non Military OTS hired by AA that number might look a bit more significant. It looks to increase next year.AA should hire a few more next year, so, yes, a few more ENY OTS should happen.

I do believe there will be more AA OTS in 2020, because the Protected Pilot group will all have flown by then and 2020 will see about 100 fewer flows from ENY.

TeeRainPULup
12-16-2018, 11:38 AM
I do have 121 PIC since I upgraded on the E145. Network my butt off and met the right people at the right time(jumpseat);) helped tons.

I call BS. If you post a CJO letter I would be shocked.

Smutter
12-16-2018, 03:53 PM

Oh God, now we know you're full of ****!

DanRoman
12-17-2018, 05:44 PM

How do you still believe that anything this guy says is true??

bigtime209
12-17-2018, 07:00 PM
How do you still believe that anything this guy says is true??

Lol...the most spot on post of this thread.

Pedro4President
12-18-2018, 01:40 AM
Well his post is some what corroborated by the reserve list. There is a 175 FO that upgraded to 145 CA that just resigned.

Also, the guy had the nerve to call in sick on his last reserve block.

moon
12-18-2018, 03:31 AM
Well his post is some what corroborated by the reserve list. There is a 175 FO that upgraded to 145 CA that just resigned.

That would be a weird time to resign. No class till January. Not quite the holidays. And that person only has 5 hours PIC here. I'm guessing it's someone else. If it's real.

ENH017
12-18-2018, 03:46 AM
That would be a weird time to resign. No class till January. Not quite the holidays. And that person only has 5 hours PIC here. I'm guessing it's someone else. If it's real.

Would it really be a weird time though? If you've got a job lined up it wouldn't be that hard to convince me to take a month off rather than sit reserve for the holidays..

moon
12-18-2018, 04:56 AM
Would it really be a weird time though? If you've got a job lined up it wouldn't be that hard to convince me to take a month off rather than sit reserve for the holidays..

That's true. I guess we'll find out if that pilot is in the next AA class. I still have doubts his persona is real.

atpcliff
12-18-2018, 05:10 AM
Besides LCCs, Omni and Kalitta may be good options (not to mention Alaskan and Hawaiian).
NAC (Northern Air Cargo) may be worth a look???
Some pilots are really liking Western Global, but I don't think they are standard regional background pilots.

I hope that if you want to leave your regional, you can find a good spot for yourself.

Namaste...

E175 Driver
12-18-2018, 05:28 AM

Not quite true, Last Class was DEC10 with 75 New hires!

The plan is 940+ for 2019. :) Merry Xmas ya'll!

E175 Driver
12-18-2018, 05:34 AM

LOL'd classic!

E175 Driver
12-19-2018, 06:14 AM
Next Class Jan 8th with 50 new hires. How many envoy gonna send?:confused:

Don't waste your time guys.