Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Resume and Application

Autopilot On
12-08-2018, 01:13 PM
Hi, I am new to APC. I have searched the threads but found no clear answer. Do any of you use a Resume or Application service to review your information for SW? I have read that others have used services like Emerald Coast for the airlines. Thanks!

Peacock
12-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Hi, I am new to APC. I have searched the threads but found no clear answer. Do any of you use a Resume or Application service to review your information for SW? I have read that others have used services like Emerald Coast for the airlines. Thanks!

Career takeoff knows about SWA

Psycho18th
12-08-2018, 05:15 PM
Some folks use a paid service to review their applications. It might be money well spent. At the very least, print it out and ask anyone you know, from mom to girlfriend to fellow pilots, to read every last word, punctuation, etc and give you feedback. You’ll be amazed the little errors or inconsistencies you’ll find.

Whoop
12-08-2018, 06:27 PM
Highly recommend Vicki at Ace Interview Prep! No big upfront fee- you two first talk on the phone and determine what services/prep you need. Paid on an hourly basis only for what you need.

https://www.aceinterviewprep.com

Shemya
12-09-2018, 06:18 AM

Welcome aboard. Raven Career Development (URL below) has 3 advisors on their staff that are currently flying for SWA. They offer all the services you are looking for, I used Raven after interviewg several companies. They were very helpful in helping me transition from a retiring airline pilot to my current corporate position flying Gulfstreams.

https://ravencareers.com/

crewdawg16
12-09-2018, 01:43 PM
If you are entered into a CJO to start at a regional Jan 14 2019 can you put that on your resume? Every little bit helps

Whoop
12-09-2018, 03:00 PM
If you are entered into a CJO to start at a regional Jan 14 2019 can you put that on your resume? Every little bit helps

Personally, I would caution against that. Other than volunteering or showing academic background, they would be more interested in positions that you can currently document (e.g. paystub, W-2), not something in the future. (Assuming you are referring to a resume you're submitting to Southwest).

crewdawg16
12-09-2018, 03:27 PM
Personally, I would caution against that. Other than volunteering or showing academic background, they would be more interested in positions that you can currently document (e.g. paystub, W-2), not something in the future. (Assuming you are referring to a resume you're submitting to Southwest).

SWA is potential having an expo in Feb and someone is giving me a recommendation. Just trying to show on paper I was picked up for a regional and I have a start date. Trying to make it as strong as possible so I might be considered for an invite.

saab2000
12-09-2018, 03:32 PM
At age 49 and having never interviewed with a significant major or legacy US carrier I spent the money with Career Takeoff. It was money well spent for several reasons, not least of which was that I went into the interview 100% confident that I was as prepared as possible.

They never told me what to say or how to interview but they helped me to be the best version of myself I could be on the day of the interview.

That said, I probably wouldn’t spend the money until I had a scheduled interview.

BarrySeal
12-09-2018, 05:16 PM
At age 49 and having never interviewed with a significant major or legacy US carrier I spent the money with Career Takeoff. It was money well spent for several reasons, not least of which was that I went into the interview 100% confident that I was as prepared as possible.

They never told me what to say or how to interview but they helped me to be the best version of myself I could be on the day of the interview.

That said, I probably wouldn’t spend the money until I had a scheduled interview.

did you get hired at SWA ?

cheap
12-09-2018, 05:40 PM
I used Checked and Set for both an Airlineapps and SWA.pilotcredentials review. I was hesitant because I’d talked to a lot of peers that had already used this service and thought I “had the gouge” and that my apps were good to go. After our session was complete, however, I was very glad I paid the $300. In my mind it was money well spent just for the hours inconsistencies he caught between my apps and my resume, but there were a lot of other tweaks he suggested that I’m confident led to my three interviews.

$300 is a drop in the bucket relative to seniority (and lifetime earnings) you might miss out on from an app that isn’t as perfect as it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saab2000
12-09-2018, 06:35 PM
did you get hired at SWA ?

Yes, I was hired and am overall quite pleased to be at SWA.

BarrySeal
12-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Yes, I was hired and am overall quite pleased to be at SWA.

congrats ! good to hear

saab2000
12-10-2018, 03:40 AM
congrats ! good to hear

Thanks! I thought at my age and with my high time and high PIC time my expiration date had come and gone. I was getting nothing but crickets from the other majors. Very happy for the job security for the rest of my career. That was, by far, my biggest concern about staying at my old regional.

bluelake
12-11-2018, 07:05 AM
Thanks! I thought at my age and with my high time and high PIC time my expiration date had come and gone. I was getting nothing but crickets from the other majors. Very happy for the job security for the rest of my career. That was, by far, my biggest concern about staying at my old regional.

I'm starting in Feb 2019 and I am 49 as well... Did not seem to concern them in the least.

saab2000
12-11-2018, 07:55 AM
I'm starting in Feb 2019 and I am 49 as well... Did not seem to concern them in the least.

Congratulations! Welcome.

You are correct. It didn't concern them at all. It concerned me!

My interview was in December of 206 and class started in early 2017.

Autopilot On
12-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Thanks, everyone for the info! I will be honest I am not good at resumes type documents at all. Do I type up a resume and send it to the service of choice or do I just give them the info they need and they draft the resume? There are just so many different ways to format resumes and such. Sorry for the dumb question. They are pricey and I don't want to waste time or money.

Proximity
12-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Thanks, everyone for the info! I will be honest I am not good at resumes type documents at all. Do I type up a resume and send it to the service of choice or do I just give them the info they need and they draft the resume? There are just so many different ways to format resumes and such. Sorry for the dumb question. They are pricey and I don't want to waste time or money.

A good service can start from nothing, though most people have some sort of resume that can form a starting point. You shouldn't feel the need to do pre-work if you are purchasing a resume service.

The best are services such as Raven Career Development that interview you over the phone and use the information they gather to improve your marketability. Services that just take your resume and reformat without using the opportunity to add deliverables aren't as good of a value.

cheap
12-12-2018, 04:22 AM
Don’t reinvent the wheel - ask folks you know for copies of the resumes they used and just edit theirs with your info.

Pm me your email and I’ll send you mine.

AviatorAl04
12-13-2018, 05:12 AM

While what is said here is VERY true, I would beg to differ on the last part. Paying for a resume/application service PRIOR to receiving an invite might just be the reason you get the invite to begin with. Don’t leave it to chance. Then when you get the invite, do the rest of the actual interview prep. I would say Absolutley do it now.

Ace interview prep with Vicki.

Great day!

at6d
12-13-2018, 08:09 AM
For the shot at a multi-million dollar career opportunity, I’d spend the money.

flyoutaz
12-13-2018, 08:16 AM
I was thinking of doing the review/prep with my initial application although not competitive yet. Figured if it's good to go from the start, basically all I need to do is update hours and follow format.

GlassBird
12-22-2018, 06:19 PM
*crack* (sound of opening a can of worms)

Honest question here, folks; as only a SW hopeful I know I’m no authority: What do all you folks say to the fact that Southwest openly and plainly states that they do not like for people to use ANY interview prep services, and they can tell which, if any, such service provider an interviewee has used?

I was at the last two Pilot Career Expos and this information was given at both of them.

cheap
12-22-2018, 06:42 PM
Glassbird, when was the last time you interviewed? How many big interviews have you had in your career? How long is your intro/about me/resume walkthru? Who have you practiced your TMAAT with? What kinds of events are you thinking about for potential TMAAT questions?

For me, I’d never really had to interview in my career. I didn’t have a large base of experience to draw from for expectations, or etiquette, and I’m VERY glad I used a prep company for my SWA interview. The truck is to take their input as just that, an input, and not a script - they’re still *your* stories, you are just getting a little help with structure and practicing to boost your confidence (especially with the phone top-off services some places provide the day prior). SWA is only running about a 50% CJO rate so it is not your job to lose, you gotta earn it with them, and I’d much rather gain some insights into their LOI, logbook hangups and HR question style before seeing it for the first time on the big day.

at6d
12-23-2018, 08:30 AM
Some interview prep services had the gouge so dialed in that candidates were responding to scenarios in the line ops portion with identical reactions. For example, during the line ops drill, they give you a small whiteboard and dry erase marker so you can make notes just before and during the exercise. Many candidates were setting up the whiteboards in identical fashion.

Canned reactions to scenarios removes the “who are you really?” factor, hence they don’t want you to prep.

My view is, get help in delivering your responses to interview questions. Learning how to format and deliver a story without fumbling all over is important!

Get help in formatting your resume.

The bottom line is that SWA wants to see “the real you.” If you come off as pre-programmed and insincere, it won’t go well.

Proximity
12-24-2018, 06:18 AM
*crack* (sound of opening a can of worms)

Honest question here, folks; as only a SW hopeful I know I’m no authority: What do all you folks say to the fact that Southwest openly and plainly states that they do not like for people to use ANY interview prep services, and they can tell which, if any, such service provider an interviewee has used?

A good interview prep service polishes the stories you already have, a bad interview prep service gives you new stories. I'm glad I went with a good interview prep and I would have told my interviewers with no reservations that I had done so, had they asked.

I was told that the SWA hate towards prep services is sort of specific to one service that gave interviewees canned answers and was suggesting pushing "family" into any answer you could. Hint...all airlines competing with SWA will give you good family QQL...they don't want to hear it anymore during the interview

WhaleSurfing
12-26-2018, 08:46 PM
While you may want to have someone review your resume and application, SWA definitely does not like the prep and will most likely ask if you’ve had any. Just be yourself.

Hobbit64
12-26-2018, 08:55 PM
Rebekah Krone.

Google her company.

Best money I have ever invested in myself.

You wont be told what to say at all.

Flitestar
12-26-2018, 10:28 PM
Follow instructions. SWA is telling you straight, don't use interview prep...twice. That's your cue right there.

Like whalesurfing said, just be yourself.

Zard
12-27-2018, 01:24 AM
Use a prep service. Any of the decent ones will take your stories and help you polish them up, not give you canned things to say.

This interview is too important to go into without having every card up your sleeve that you can.

A year minimum between callbacks will put you 500+ down the seniority list if things continue like they have recently. That’s huge and too much to gamble.

Spend the money. Do the prep. Kill the interview.

Psycho18th
12-27-2018, 05:38 AM
I think this is a really personal decision. At a SWA interview, they want to get to know you. If they feel you are putting up shields and spouting memorized answers, you aren’t getting hired. By the same logic, if you are too nervous to speak coherently, they won’t get to know you either and you won’t get hired.
You need to walk into the interview confidant enough to talk about yourself and having examined your personal experience enough to show that your background, actions, and attitudes will serve the company well.
Having never interviewed before and knowing how nervous I’d be walking into my first interview for a multi million dollar career, I chose to use a prep service to help me get some interview skills. It helped me look back over my experiences with a different perspective and realize what I bring to the table. It let me walk in still nervous, but with enough confidence I could relax a bit to “be myself”, speak coherently, and land the job.
A lot of folks can do that without prep. You may or may not be one of them.
They didn’t ask, but I was ready to explain why I thought it was important.
I interviewed spring of 2017, in case the landscape has changed since then. Hope that helps.

Skyward
12-28-2018, 11:03 AM
I used Cage Consulting to prep for UAL. They helped me get MY stories and how to deliver them. I interviewed and was offered the job. Shortly thereafter, I was offered an interview at SWA. I just used what I learned from the UAL prep and the gouge online to feel comfortable with SW. I also studied up on SW history and culture. It worked perfectly, and I did great at the interview. I accepted the class at SWA.

The interview prep was well worth it and highly recommended. I would not have done as well at either interview without it. The Cage prep for UAL was great to learn how to answer TMAAT questions, btw. The key is you want them to be YOUR stories. Help them get to know YOU and YOUR decision making process and what YOUR priorities are. Be friendly and tell them you want the job.

If I hadn’t already prepped for UAL and felt confident for the SWA interview, I would have definately paid for SW prep though.

Good luck

Swingline78
12-28-2018, 11:21 AM
Here's the real deal. If you don't do any prep at all you are interviewing with a ton of people who have. So you are being compared to other candidates who are more polished and practiced than you. None of the reputable prep companies "can" your answers. And if you haven't practiced the LOI stuff your going to look like a dingus next to someone who has. It's an unfair world we live in that you have to pay people to help you get these jobs. But it's just the way it is. And if you hire someone who is selling you right answers then fire them. Can you get hired without it? Absolutely. But seriously why take that chance? Just my 2 cents. During my interviews (3 of them) just the confidence in having told my stories to someone who was a professional made me feel better.

GlassBird
12-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Well... that WAS quite the can of worms! :D

Cheap- it seems you’re implying I’ve never had a major interview before, and you’re correct! A while back, before my first Southwest Career Expo, I purchased prep services from Emerald Coast and attended one of their events. Seemed like a lot of good info, but others seem to steer me away from them, particularly for Southwest. EC did give some SW-specific advice at their event that updated some of their prior material: “SW doesn’t want to hear about your family in the intro, they know you’ve been prepped” etc.

WhaleSurfing (& at6d)- Durning the Career Expos, SW gives you some one-on-one time with an interviewer and THEY go over your application and resume. I figure having Southwest go over their own app with me is better than having any external company do it. The captain I spoke with at the last Expo specifically told me he had no problems with my resume and he wouldn’t change a thing.

Flitestar- Exactly. I’m still torn because EVERYONE except the people at SW and you have said differently; should I take SW’s own advice, or the advice of a bunch of folks I don’t know on the internet??? (No offense to any of you folks, most of you have enough good posts on here for me to know you’re not dummies!)

I guess it does come down to personal preference. Thanks to all for inputting your 2 cents.

btodd77
12-31-2018, 02:24 PM
When I went to the job fair in June, swa did mention not to get prep. With that being said, I did get prep done with Ace Interview Prep and I can’t recommend them enough.

After my interview, the interviewers asked if I had done prep. I told them yes and with who. That didn’t seem to be a deal breaker as much currently in class. Do with that story what you will, but you’re talking about a multi million dollar career. You want to go in as prepared as possible.
BT

BigWillyCapt
01-02-2019, 04:15 PM
I think this is a really personal decision. At a SWA interview, they want to get to know you. If they feel you are putting up shields and spouting memorized answers, you aren’t getting hired. By the same logic, if you are too nervous to speak coherently, they won’t get to know you either and you won’t get hired.
You need to walk into the interview confidant enough to talk about yourself and having examined your personal experience enough to show that your background, actions, and attitudes will serve the company well.
Having never interviewed before and knowing how nervous I’d be walking into my first interview for a multi million dollar career, I chose to use a prep service to help me get some interview skills. It helped me look back over my experiences with a different perspective and realize what I bring to the table. It let me walk in still nervous, but with enough confidence I could relax a bit to “be myself”, speak coherently, and land the job.
A lot of folks can do that without prep. You may or may not be one of them.
They didn’t ask, but I was ready to explain why I thought it was important.
I interviewed spring of 2017, in case the landscape has changed since then. Hope that helps.

This is exactly what I would say. ^^^^

I interviewed in spring of 2018. From my informal polling/conversations, I would say almost everyone I talked to used some kind of prep. Probably 9/10. Vicki at ACE is highly recommended and cheaper than some others. I used Cage Marshall. But don't rely on the prep to get you the job. Use it as a tool to prepare yourself, and make you better.

drovehooks
01-04-2019, 10:22 AM
Sad to learn of Herb passing. But seems he did a great job for a long long time.
I've read this thread and several of the others related to hiring; lots of great info for me. However, I'm looking for a recruiter or such to converse with about my specific issues. Not how to apply, what resume should look like, etc., but of any possibilities for someone in my position.
PM, or have fun going direct here, if you've the knowledge and time. Thanks.

jbeauv
01-23-2019, 12:38 PM
Rebekah Krone.

Google her company.

Best money I have ever invested in myself.

You wont be told what to say at all.

She did my resume

Botched
01-23-2019, 07:44 PM
Sad to learn of Herb passing. But seems he did a great job for a long long time.
I've read this thread and several of the others related to hiring; lots of great info for me. However, I'm looking for a recruiter or such to converse with about my specific issues. Not how to apply, what resume should look like, etc., but of any possibilities for someone in my position.
PM, or have fun going direct here, if you've the knowledge and time. Thanks.

what issues?

BigWillyCapt
01-23-2019, 08:03 PM
I would recommend Vicki at Ace Interview prep. She helped a friend in my class with some tough issues and he got the job. Highly recommended by many I've talked to and reasonable rates compared to some others.

n606tw
01-23-2019, 11:35 PM
I would recommend Vicki at Ace Interview prep. She helped a friend in my class with some tough issues and he got the job. Highly recommended by many I've talked to and reasonable rates compared to some others.

Vicki is the Best!

Sqwk7700
01-24-2019, 11:23 AM
Vicki is the Best!

Another thumbs up for Vicki. She's great.

Whoop
01-24-2019, 04:31 PM
For more information about Vicki:

Everyone recommending her, including me, doesn't get anything in return. We mention her because we're each genuinely satisfied. She personalizes her services to what you need. Her business is by word of mouth and if you'll notice that's enough for her, as she doesn't advertise.

She is a class act and does a phenomenal job!

French3Holer
01-30-2019, 07:52 AM
For more information about Vicki:

Everyone recommending her, including me, doesn't get anything in return. We mention her because we're each genuinely satisfied. She personalizes her services to what you need. Her business is by word of mouth and if you'll notice that's enough for her, as she doesn't advertise.

She is a class act and does a phenomenal job!

When I interviewed after the LOI debrief the interviewers asked who I used to do my prep. I didn't use anyone, but they both guessed Vicki. I explained that I did my own prep and that I was comfortable getting ready on my own. They then asked explicitly about how I prepared. I explained there was more than enough gouge and that I organized all the available gouge and then grouped them into categories of TMAAT based on about 10 experiences I had in my career.

I also explained that I prepped for the LOI by thinking/chair flying through the steps I would take and how I would use my resources given the limited amount of time.

After interviewing I called my internal contacts and told them about my experience and what the two interview pilots said in the LOI, guessing that I prepped with Vicki. They said that was a definite plus.

BUFFy
02-07-2019, 09:05 AM
hello people,
Just received an Expo Official Ticket by 22nd, 1 recommendation letter

Now any suggestion how to get prepared for this Expo?
any good Company`s it can help me?
Thanks
Max

Max,

One thread up my man.

Good luck.

Max7
02-07-2019, 10:48 PM
Max,

One thread up my man.

Good luck.

Didn't see it, thanks