Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : 2019 medical benefits

flyoutaz
12-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Hello,

Have you guys received your updated benefit options for 2019? Looking for "gold"/top end ppo coverage for self+family costs and the coverage info. 80/20split?, deductible, out of pocket maximums, Dr/urgent/ER co-pays, medicine tiers, etc.

Also helpful, which insurance company?

Thanks!

amcnd
12-11-2018, 03:52 PM
Hello,

Have you guys received your updated benefit options for 2019? Looking for "gold"/top end ppo coverage for self+family costs and the coverage info. 80/20split?, deductible, out of pocket maximums, Dr/urgent/ER co-pays, medicine tiers, etc.

Also helpful, which insurance company?

Thanks!

Have no idea what your talking about. But UHC PPO plan is $290 a paycheck for a family.. thats the top of the line. Not a high deductible plan. A copay plan..

flyoutaz
12-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Have no idea what your talking about. But UHC PPO plan is $290 a paycheck for a family.. thats the top of the line. Not a high deductible plan. A copay plan..

Ok. So untied health Care as the provider.

Yes a copay plan. Some companies label the tiers as gold/silver/bronze, so I was just trying to specify and get details on the best coverage plan.

And plans vary, a$250 deductible per person vs a $500 isn't a huge deal, but out of pocket maximums before 100% coverage starts can vary a lot. I've seen anywhere from 2500-7000 in top tier plans to just trying to figure out the details since we have a kiddo whose medical is complicated

amcnd
12-11-2018, 04:10 PM
Thats the PPO. If you single or newly married and young go with a $50 HSA CDHP plan. They give you $1200 savings account. Every year. And still give you good coverage if needed..

Plan Details

PPO
HSA Contributions Not Eligible
Deductible Single: $500
Two-Party/Family: $1,000
Coinsurance 20% after deductible
Annual Out of Pocket Maximum* Single: $3,000
Two-Party/Family: $6,000
Office Visit $20 PCP / $30 SP copay
Preventive Care 100% Covered
Prescription
Tier 1
Greater of $10 or
10% up to $50 Maximum Tier 2
Greater of $25 or
20% up to $125 Maximum Tier 3
Greater of $50 or
50% up to $150 Maximum
Cost per Paycheck
Bi-Weekly:
Employee Only: $105.78
Two-Party: $216.48
Family: $269.39 Semi-Monthly:
Employee Only: $114.59
Two-Party: $234.52
Family: $291.84

flyoutaz
12-11-2018, 04:32 PM
Great. Thank you

word302
12-12-2018, 06:39 AM
Great. Thank you

Most people who are good with a calculator donít choose the PPO.

flyoutaz
12-12-2018, 06:45 AM
Well when you max out every year it kinda works out differently unless the other plan has an out of pocket max under 10k(the ppo max+ premiums), doesn't have a max paid out limit for year/lifetime, still includes prescriptions and has the same network. Haven't seen one that has all that, but if the skywest one does I'd love those details too

amcnd
12-12-2018, 06:53 AM
They do. Family $6400

flyoutaz
12-12-2018, 07:00 AM
Well cool. We'll run the numbers then. Just wanted to make sure we weren't losing coverage.
Thanks again!

zondaracer
12-12-2018, 07:35 AM
On the SAPA forum, a pilot, who formerly worked in health insurance, produces and publishes some graphs every year and the CDHP is ahead of the PPO in 9 out of 10 scenarios. If I recall correctly, the PPO is only advantageous for a single person with a lot of prescriptions or something like that.

flyoutaz
12-12-2018, 07:38 AM
On the SAPA forum, a pilot, who formerly worked in health insurance, produces and publishes some graphs every year and the CDHP is ahead of the PPO in 9 out of 10 scenarios. If I recall correctly, the PPO is only advantageous for a single person with a lot of prescriptions or something like that.

Oh that's cool.

Check Complete
12-12-2018, 10:53 AM
The CDHP (chips devastating health plan) is good if you can build up a big chunk of cash as a cushion. Which can be done if you are fairly healthy and probably don't have a spouse or family.

But one guy had his first baby around the last days of the year and the child had to stay in the hospital through to the new year and after. So basically he was out 2 years max out of pocket in one week and was screwed. I think he had to declare BK.

The insurance here is mediocre at best as SkyWest is self insured. I am on the PPO and it is ok, I'd give it a C+. I can tell you a trip to the ER is super expensive and if you go out of network you will probably have to pick up the whole bill.

I can only recommend getting married to someone that has good benefits.

flyoutaz
12-12-2018, 11:09 AM
Ya, out of network sucks no matter what insurance plan. As long as I'm network, even in that scenario (had a kiddo in ICU from dec31-jan6 last year so been there unfortunately) then max owed should only be two years out of pocket max, which can be a little but hospitals let you make payments.*just re read and realized you said he was in the non ppo plan. My comment was based on the ppo plans. That really sucks it happened that way for him. 20k is a while different matter than 6-8k add far away even making payments go

What would cause you to rate the insurance as a c+? What part of the coverage is lacking? Or is it mostly the +/-700 a month and still looking at 3-7k a year in medical? Actually interested in the experience of dealing with uhc

Check Complete
12-12-2018, 11:20 AM
I had to have an ER visit for a neck and shoulder ailment (very expensive) even in network, $400+

And then a associated CT scan that was over $800.

To me that's C+ coverage?

zondaracer
12-12-2018, 11:23 AM
My wife once had a very large medical expense when I was a new hire, and I was able to make a payment plan with the hospital. Not ideal, but as the money came into my HSA each month, I was able to make payments to the hospital. Our health insurance is not the best, and if you are planning on having lots of expenditures, you may want to consider Air Wisconsin.

For a family in 2019, max total costs (Max out of pocket, deductible, and premiums):
CDHP Basic - $10500
CDHP Value - $10500
PPO - $13000

I believe the CDHP costs include the $1200 HSA company contribution in the figures.

http://i67.tinypic.com/25ko6xh.jpg

flyoutaz
12-12-2018, 11:49 AM
That's awesome info! Thank you!

Our current plan has a individual max and family max( example3500/7000). Any way to adjust the graph and see how it plays out if the family max isn't hit but the individual is? (1 kiddo maxed at 3500 out of pocket, rest of family only 1k)

On the chpd plan is there a difference or is it just family max. I'd assume both but not sure what those numbers are since our version of that plan available is just a modified cost ppo so not familiar with the variances as much.
If not no problem, just figured worth asking.

Looks like costs wise we're be comparable now, just making sure the budget will work.

Appreciate all the info and advice

MarineFly
12-13-2018, 05:27 AM
Gents and Ladies - Am starting soon with OO and wondering if anyone has done the math already can help me pick a plan. Single, no dependents, military retiree. Don't even know the plan options save for what I read on this thread. One posting said PPO another said CDHP is better no matter what.

Any gouge is appreciated

Check Complete
12-13-2018, 06:07 AM
First off all, thanks for your service!

If you have health insurance thru the VA or your branch of service then you may not want any of SkyWest health insurance at all. If you must then the CDHP may be the way to go.

I would strongly recommend short term disability, and the loss of medical insurance.

A few years back I switched from the 30 day to the 7 disability and although it costs more it more than paid for itself the couple of times I've been out with injuries.

The loss of medical insurance carrier could require a physical (extensive) at your expense if you don't sign up for it when first offered.

Good Luck!

zondaracer
12-13-2018, 06:15 AM
MarineFly: get Tricare

word302
12-13-2018, 08:23 AM
First off all, thanks for your service!

If you have health insurance thru the VA or your branch of service then you may not want any of SkyWest health insurance at all. If you must then the CDHP may be the way to go.

I would strongly recommend short term disability, and the loss of medical insurance.

A few years back I switched from the 30 day to the 7 disability and although it costs more it more than paid for itself the couple of times I've been out with injuries.

The loss of medical insurance carrier could require a physical (extensive) at your expense if you don't sign up for it when first offered.

Good Luck!

Our loss of medical insurance is pretty much garbage.

Utah
12-13-2018, 08:57 AM

Based on what?

We haven't even had it long enough to start paying out on anyone?

Check Complete
12-13-2018, 09:10 AM

I've heard that too, but it's better than what we did have which was nothing.

Bear in mind it does not pay out until the company long term insurance is finished, which is 2 years at a very reduced rate from what you made.

One of our pilots lives by the address of the place and apparently it's ran out of somebodies basement.

Employer of choice.......

Utah
12-13-2018, 09:18 AM
I've heard that too, but it's better than what we did have which was nothing.

Bear in mind it does not pay out until the company long term insurance is finished, which is 2 years at a very reduced rate from what you made.

One of our pilots lives by the address of the place and apparently it's ran out of somebodies basement.

Employer of choice.......

If I had a complaint about it, it would be that what SAPA sold/told us what it would be and what it actually is are two different things. There's actually some info on our tablets about it.

It does start paying out earlier than the two years to make up the difference in the company LTD and the amount you are insured for per month. (Company LTD only pays 55% of your earnings and is taxed IIRC)

Someone said it wouldn't pay out if you could do any sort of other work. It doesn't say that in the policy though. I call BS on the statement unless there's some evidence to refute that.

word302
12-14-2018, 06:54 AM
Based on what?

We haven't even had it long enough to start paying out on anyone?

Based on reading all the fine print.

MarineFly
12-14-2018, 05:33 PM
MarineFly: get Tricare

I have it. Good stuff - USFHP. Good stuff. And I guess I have VA care too but that isn't as clear to me.

MarineFly
12-14-2018, 05:37 PM
...you may not want any of SkyWest health insurance at all. If you must then the CDHP may be the way to go.

....if you don't sign up for it when first offered.

Thanks! So - I guess if I don't want it I simply elect that, and don't pay anything for it? But I can pick and choose various sub programs like disability insurance or loss of medical certificate insurance? Wish there would be an advance mailing prior to class-up so we could be ready.

amcnd
12-14-2018, 06:02 PM
Thanks! So - I guess if I don't want it I simply elect that, and don't pay anything for it? But I can pick and choose various sub programs like disability insurance or loss of medical certificate insurance? Wish there would be an advance mailing prior to class-up so we could be ready.

If they give you access to SWOL, itís all on there.. there is a bunch of options for supplemental insurance. Short term, loss of medical, life, ect...

MarineFly
12-15-2018, 10:59 AM
If they give you access to SWOL, itís all on there.. there is a bunch of options for supplemental insurance. Short term, loss of medical, life, ect...

You're right! Hadn't thought about that. SWOL actually kind of rocks compared with some of the stuff you get used to in the military, which though vastly improving is still far off from what the outside does

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1