Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Crjlife
12-11-2018, 06:04 PM
What are the chances of a PDX base? Also how many days off a month are you guys averaging?

Starlifter
12-11-2018, 07:13 PM
What are the chances of a PDX base? Also how many days off a month are you guys averaging?

Abit premature to determine what base(s) if/will be/when or how they will fill.
Very difficult to give day off average...in MSP, if sitting reserve can be as low as 11 days off. If senior, can be as much as 20. If/when new basing happens...days off will vary widely as this will all be uncharted territory for SCA.

Crjlife
12-11-2018, 08:20 PM
Abit premature to determine what base(s) if/will be/when or how they will fill.
Very difficult to give day off average...in MSP, if sitting reserve can be as low as 11 days off. If senior, can be as much as 20. If/when new basing happens...days off will vary widely as this will all be uncharted territory for SCA.

I see. Iím trying to make up my mind if I should leave the regional pilot life for SC. I have a family and a new baby. Iím tired of being away from my family 4 days at a time. I hear SC is a great place to be for a family guy.

42jeff
12-11-2018, 10:13 PM
I see. Iím trying to make up my mind if I should leave the regional pilot life for SC. I have a family and a new baby. Iím tired of being away from my family 4 days at a time. I hear SC is a great place to be for a family guy.

I'm contemplating it myself. Just about to finish upgrading at a regional

beech1980
12-12-2018, 04:07 AM

You will be doing 5/6 day trips. 4 will probably be the shortest trip. Yes you will do the occasional day trip. Living in base has its perks although. Sun country currently does not fly reserves as much as a normal airline. You might fly a couple days a month on average. The busy charter months you might fly a little more as all the open time canít or wonít be all picked up by the line holders.
Now that all the dead head is paid at 100% and all block time is paid at 150% open time will be scooped up even on the trips where you might deadhead 4 legs to fly 1.

Noisy1
12-13-2018, 07:45 AM
Lots and lots of 4+ day trips now. I doubt a PDX base happens, or any permanent bases. Just more route experiments. Six months in this market, and two here, then four over there. The longer trips are experiments to see if "bridging" works better than bases or temporary duty assignments.

For a family guy, well, maybe not the most stable place. We are guinea pigs in an LCC experiment. Bankruptcy is a real possibility.

PiperPower
12-14-2018, 08:04 AM
Bankruptcy is a real possibility.

With this new group owning the airline; no, itís not.

Noisy1
12-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Ok. Glad you are optimistic. I'm sure Apollo has never ever had a risk fail.

Crjlife
12-15-2018, 07:13 PM
You will be doing 5/6 day trips. 4 will probably be the shortest trip. Yes you will do the occasional day trip. Living in base has its perks although. Sun country currently does not fly reserves as much as a normal airline. You might fly a couple days a month on average. The busy charter months you might fly a little more as all the open time canít or wonít be all picked up by the line holders.
Now that all the dead head is paid at 100% and all block time is paid at 150% open time will be scooped up even on the trips where you might deadhead 4 legs to fly 1.

I canít even imagine being in a 6 day trip. I would hate my life real hard. I think Iím gonna stay where I am and stay put for something better. Thanks for the input though.

trip
12-15-2018, 09:42 PM
I canít even imagine being in a 6 day trip. I would hate my life real hard. I think Iím gonna stay where I am and stay put for something better. Thanks for the input though.

Your not going to like airline life then, start looking for something that will not make you miserable. Maybe CBP or corporate.

Skyward
12-16-2018, 12:13 AM
Your not going to like airline life then, start looking for something that will not make you miserable. Maybe CBP or corporate.

OP, if trip length is important to you... SWA has mostly 3day trips. 4 is max. 3 on/4 off is a typical month. One of the reasons Iím here vs the other 3

symbian simian
12-16-2018, 08:21 AM

I worked 10 on/5 off for the first 7 years, followed by 7 on/7 off for the next 8. Currently working mostly 4 on/4 off. Very lucky to still be with my first wife, she is a pilot too, and there have been months we barely saw each other. For most time off at home, I think there is no better than SWA, living in base, or corporate if you don't mind being on call every hour of every day, but probably working 8 days a month...

PiperPower
12-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Ok. Glad you are optimistic. I'm sure Apollo has never ever had a risk fail.

I donít think itís overly optimistic to assume a multi billion dollar investment group will bankrupt a small airline for fun, after owning it for one year.

TurboFan
01-06-2019, 04:04 PM
FWIW a friend of a friend recently interviewed for an FA position with the promise of a PDX base. Iíve also seen a job posting on recruit.net for PDX based FAís.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airplaneit
02-05-2019, 03:37 PM
Union e-mail today stating company wants to open negotiations for a PDX base opening in July.

Mciflyboy
02-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Anyone know of any pilots who would voluntarily go to a PDX base?

Id like to know my chances of being Displaced involuntarily. Time to put my app in for Skywest or go back to my old regional?

Contrail06
02-05-2019, 06:35 PM

Not being a jerk here, but itís just the wrong airline. I worked at SC. At the time there were very few 6 day trips. I left for United, the only long trips here are on the widebodies and are completely avoidable with some seniority. So forget the ďget another career bsĒ.

Starlifter
02-06-2019, 06:57 AM
Anyone know of any pilots who would voluntarily go to a PDX base?

Id like to know my chances of being Displaced involuntarily. Time to put my app in for Skywest or go back to my old regional?

There may be a few commuters that would take PDX. I suppose others may consider it too if they are looking at upgrade opportunities or adventure.
I believe it to be a positive move for the airline. I also believe there will be other base possibilities in the not so distant future.
I highly doubt involuntary displacement is something the company is considering.

Pull and Rotate
02-06-2019, 11:12 AM
I'm guessing the base won't be that big. The FA base there is basically 10 crews worth. If the pilot base is similar size, any FO currently on property should be able to stay in MSP if they want and the base could be filled with new hires. Captains, on the other hand, will probably be displaced unless they do some serious upgrades in short order. Need a few months lead time if they were going to be online by July.

Venkman
02-06-2019, 03:11 PM
The other side to this coin is: what is the company offering to get this done? It must be something. The union has all the leverage in the world right now. I think very good things are on the horizon. I think new bases are a good thing too! Positive forward progress. SY is poised for success, but right now their big bottleneck to growth is the MSP base exclusivity.

It's a very good time to be at SY.

nkbux
02-06-2019, 04:13 PM
All kidding aside... Iím a huge fan of the new livery... my favorite in the US! Congrats on the new base

DSRoss996
02-06-2019, 04:39 PM
The other side to this coin is: what is the company offering to get this done? It must be something. The union has all the leverage in the world right now. I think very good things are on the horizon. I think new bases are a good thing too! Positive forward progress. SY is poised for success, but right now their big bottleneck to growth is the MSP base exclusivity.

It's a very good time to be at SY.

What makes you think ďthe union has all the leverage in the world right now?Ē

Venkman
02-06-2019, 05:52 PM
What makes you think ďthe union has all the leverage in the world right now?Ē

Well it's an exaggeration. They hold the keys to something the company desperately wants - base expansion. It stands to reason they won't give up something for nothing.