Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Red light camera

Python1287
12-12-2018, 02:51 PM
Are red light camera fines on driving records? Thanks!

rickair7777
12-12-2018, 03:07 PM
Most likely, if it was a moving violation (which would be the point).

Droopy
12-12-2018, 04:44 PM
It depends, but most areas I've looked at they are cited as parking violations.

Go figure and realize that it is different state to state.

GogglesPisano
12-12-2018, 05:01 PM
Itís difficult for the authorities to prove who the driver is without a stop. They usually send the summons to the registered owner. Usually they expect the owner to pay with the caveat that no points go against the ownerís driverís license.

Read the fine print on your final paperwork.

Python1287
12-12-2018, 06:19 PM
It depends, but most areas I've looked at they are cited as parking violations.

Go figure and realize that it is different state to state.

Parking violations donít follow you around?

SonicFlyer
12-12-2018, 06:52 PM
Red light infractions in most states are a legal grey area and most of the time are not actually enforceable. In some places they are "civil violations" and not moving or criminal violations. It all depends on your state laws.

Regardless, the things are a scam.

rickair7777
12-12-2018, 06:59 PM
Parking violations donít follow you around?

Not for airlines.

Unless you have an outstanding warrant for not paying. Or they send it to collections and it shows up on your credit report.

Cirrus2turbine
12-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Are red light camera fines on driving records? Thanks!

NO! Well depends on teh state, but I'm in Law Enforcement in NY and it does not. Nor in NJ, CT, NH, MA etc.

PRS Guitars
12-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Red light infractions in most states are a legal grey area and most of the time are not actually enforceable. In some places they are "civil violations" and not moving or criminal violations. It all depends on your state laws.

Regardless, the things are a scam.

In Colorado it is not enforceable unless you are served in person. So if you get a ticket in the mail, ignore it. They know that lots of folks will just pay it, and itíd be way too expensive to serve everybody in person.

John Carr
12-16-2018, 11:38 AM
In Colorado it is not enforceable unless you are served in person. So if you get a ticket in the mail, ignore it. They know that lots of folks will just pay it, and it’d be way too expensive to serve everybody in person.

Sort of true, that was the thinking for a long long time. I believe they get around it by saying the person that sits in the van is the “in person”. There were too many people that would take the time to ask for an appearance in front of a judge, so they found a work around to get your money. Talk to your lawyer about it.

IIRC, the guy in the van or the person reviewing the ticket before making is the signature at the bottom that counts as the “server”.

If you don’t pay, then they hand it over to collections.

Then you get to deal with those people.

About the only “easy” way out is if the picture of you is fuzzy or your DL pic has little resemblence to you now, etc.

ARAMP1
12-16-2018, 06:39 PM
Hereís how we handle them in TN...

https://youtu.be/pnUxdpSgsiA

PRS Guitars
12-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Sort of true, that was the thinking for a long long time. I believe they get around it by saying the person that sits in the van is the ďin personĒ. There were too many people that would take the time to ask for an appearance in front of a judge, so they found a work around to get your money. Talk to your lawyer about it.

IIRC, the guy in the van or the person reviewing the ticket before making is the signature at the bottom that counts as the ďserverĒ.

If you donít pay, then they hand it over to collections.

Then you get to deal with those people.

About the only ďeasyĒ way out is if the picture of you is fuzzy or your DL pic has little resemblence to you now, etc.

The mailman that sits in the van? My understanding (and Iíll admit, I was listening to talk radio) was that it must be delivered in person to you, not mailed. Which makes sense, mail can get lost. Iíve never gotten one, so my advice is call the county clerk and ask. Several callers did this and were told itís not enforceable. And yes, it was mentioned that you can claim it wasnít you driving as well.

None of this helps the OP though.

John Carr
12-17-2018, 10:33 AM
The mailman that sits in the van?

Like I mentioned, him or the person that has to review it before being mailed. Ask your lawyer

My understanding (and I’ll admit, I was listening to talk radio) was that it must be delivered in person to you, not mailed. Which makes sense, mail can get lost. I’ve never gotten one, so my advice is call the county clerk and ask.

My advice is to ask your lawyer.

And that’s true, mail can get lost. Till they step up their game. They’ll send via certified mail. Contray to what you’ve heard/read, people HAVE BEEN SERVED. How the hell they had the resources for that is beyond me, but they have.

Several callers did this and were told it’s not enforceable. And yes, it was mentioned that you can claim it wasn’t you driving as well.

Well, sort of. They’re still going to make sure they get their money. Ask your lawyer.

You don’t have to, Ive had a few of them. As well as a few lawyers.

But just telling people to ignore/throw them away isnt really the best advice.

None of this helps the OP though.

Agreed. I should have prefaced that in my post before the thread veered/went tangential.

FlyGuy17
02-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Iíve read this whole thread and it still isnít clear to me how to handle this. I got a red light camera ticket about 10 years ago in Denver. Of course, back then I was young and the thought of fighting it or getting a lawyer never even occurred to me since it didnít seem like a big deal at all (and still doesnít seem that way to me). Should this be handled like a parking ticket and not listed anywhere on the app? Or should I just list it on the app. The risk to listing it is obviously a slightly lower app score or them looking upon your app slightly less. I could also just bring it up during the interview when they give the opportunity to talk about anything else that may be pertinent. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk