Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Drone pilots trying to jumpseat?

Al Czervik
12-15-2018, 02:47 AM
Overheard a conversation about civilian drone pilots trying to get approved to occupy the jumpseat. Anyone hear about this??

Skypilotsv1984
12-15-2018, 03:44 AM
Since they canít reciprocate Iím not too worried.

prex8390
12-15-2018, 04:18 AM
Thats so outrageously ridiculous that itís probably true. Would love to be in the room with ALPA and the drone operators when that conversation goes down.

DarkSideMoon
12-15-2018, 05:20 AM
Overheard a conversation about civilian drone pilots trying to get approved to occupy the jumpseat. Anyone hear about this??

Iím trying to get to get a date with Taylor Swift, doesnít mean thereís a snowballís chance in hell itíll happen.

jcountry
12-15-2018, 06:02 AM

Neither can dispatchers or inspectors.....

But it is a dumb idea. I doubt the FAA would ever sign off on it.

RJSAviator76
12-15-2018, 07:00 AM
Under what regulation would the drone pilots be able to jumpseat? I don't know of any drones operated under 121 or 135.

4V14T0R
12-15-2018, 07:00 AM

Can DX jump on OAL? Inspectors, well this should be self-evident.

I find it quite comical it would even be entertained. Can Private pilots get the jump? ::rhetorical::

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHACKMASTER
12-15-2018, 07:33 AM

And even if they did, I wonít sign off on it at the gate.

GMAFB

jdt30
12-15-2018, 07:36 AM
Just got an ALPA update warning to check credentials because several drone ďpilotsĒ have tried to use the jumpseat.

TiredSoul
12-15-2018, 07:40 AM
http://luckypuppy.net/BLOG/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/drone-pilots-original.jpg

WAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

labbats
12-15-2018, 07:59 AM
Iíll let the drone jumpseat.

captjns
12-15-2018, 08:07 AM

Or let the jumpseat pilot drone on:(.

TheFly
12-15-2018, 09:01 AM
Exactly.

Pilots, we use that term loosely....

rickair7777
12-15-2018, 09:54 AM
I'd believe anything after that "Drone Pilot War Hero Medal" debacle.

But even if it's approved by the fed, they will obviously not get any reciprocal agreements... except with each other :rolleyes:

GuardPolice
12-15-2018, 11:36 AM
Just got an ALPA update warning to check credentials because several drone ďpilotsĒ have tried to use the jumpseat.

Is that update something that went out to the entire association? Or just your company pilots?

ReadyRsv
12-15-2018, 11:49 AM

WAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

This is because of the cops arresting pro photographers(who operate a drone) or not giving them the same access they give to reporters or other news photogs, because of dumbness.

Ducttape
12-15-2018, 12:56 PM
This is because of the cops arresting pro photographers(who operate a drone) or not giving them the same access they give to reporters or other news photogs, because of dumbness.

Say what??

Qotsaautopilot
12-15-2018, 04:26 PM
There are civilian drone pilots?

Btw it would actually be wise for ALPA to bring civilian drone pilots into the association when they do appear. Get them unionized and collective bargaining from the get go keep wages up

DarkSideMoon
12-15-2018, 04:44 PM
There are civilian drone pilots?

Btw it would actually be wise for ALPA to bring civilian drone pilots into the association when they do appear. Get them unionized and collective bargaining from the get go keep wages up
Hard to get good wages and benefits when a 12 year old with rich parents can do the job.

Qotsaautopilot
12-15-2018, 09:12 PM
Hard to get good wages and benefits when a 12 year old with rich parents can do the job.

Thatís exactly why you would unionized.

FL370esq
12-16-2018, 05:34 AM

Why do I so want to disturb them right now?

TransWorld
12-16-2018, 05:41 AM
Why do I so want to disturb them right now?

Like the sign on the park bench, ďWet paint. Do not touch.Ē

DarkSideMoon
12-16-2018, 07:42 AM
Thatís exactly why you would unionized.

Good luck with that. Most drone operators are freelance. Youíre always going to get undercut because there is low skill/cost barriers to entry.

WhaleSurfing
12-16-2018, 11:07 AM
I just raised my BS flag to full staff. Must be a boring weekend for the keyboard warriors. Christmas shopping finished so early with nothing to do?

jdt30
12-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Is that update something that went out to the entire association? Or just your company pilots?

Specific company pilots

Photoflier
12-16-2018, 02:11 PM
I just raised my BS flag to full staff. Must be a boring weekend for the keyboard warriors. Christmas shopping finished so early with nothing to do?

It was sent out via ALPA that several drone pilots have been trying to access commercial Jumpseats

Ducttape
12-16-2018, 02:45 PM

I guess SWAPA did not notify you of this, ALPA notified its members.

Airway
12-16-2018, 05:40 PM
I guess SWAPA did not notify you of this, ALPA notified its members.

Any drone OPERATOR trying to access the jumpseat should be arrested and handed over to Homeland Security. End of story.

sailingfun
12-17-2018, 03:27 AM
I suspect the drone operators in question are flying large aircraft sized drones ont hobby drones but neither is legal.

4V14T0R
12-17-2018, 06:10 AM
I suspect the drone operators in question are flying large aircraft sized drones ont hobby drones but neither is legal.

I donít suspect that at all. I suspect they are simply idiots. I find this quite comical, but it obviously enforces the importance we verify our jumpseaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomgoodman
12-17-2018, 06:28 AM

Provided that the drone is in uniform. :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=snl+killer+bees+costume&tbm=isch&client=safari&prmd=ivn&hl=en-US&ved=2ahUKEwjoyLy5lKffAhVGS1MKHWZHBRkQrNwCegUIARCeA Q&biw=1024&bih=666#imgrc=QKoXLucFadzYXM

Cujo665
12-17-2018, 09:12 AM

WAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Should say Drone Operator.....

Pilots are on board the vessel theyíre piloting....

Just sayin

Cujo665
12-17-2018, 09:14 AM
Any drone OPERATOR trying to access the jumpseat should be arrested and handed over to Homeland Security. End of story.

This........

captjns
12-17-2018, 10:40 AM
This........

No worries. Drone pilots arenít going to make it through TSA without proper 121/125/135 credentials.

CoefficientX
12-17-2018, 10:46 AM
No worries. Drone pilots arenít going to make it through TSA without proper 121/125/135 credentials.

I think youíre missing the point.

Twin Wasp
12-17-2018, 04:43 PM

WAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

The (cockpit) lawyer in me would said this is so messed up. The FAA does not license pilots, FEs, instructors, etc., they certify them. These would be "certificated remote operators." And the remote operator card card doesn't look anything like all the part 61, 63 or 65 cards.

ReadyRsv
12-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Say what??

The cops have hassled lots of legitimate news personnel because they aren't up to speed with both the laws regarding drones nor the fact that news companies actually have licensed press drone operators, hence the vest. Look at any sporting event and you will see a gaggle of pro photogs and many events make them wear a vest like this in addition to credentials. Now, place these guys at a crime scene or protest and yes, I'd prefer to wear something that distances me from the huddled masses so I don't get baton'd or hit.

velosnow
12-18-2018, 12:40 PM
The cops have hassled lots of legitimate news personnel because they aren't up to speed with both the laws regarding drones nor the fact that news companies actually have licensed press drone operators, hence the vest. Look at any sporting event and you will see a gaggle of pro photogs and many events make them wear a vest like this in addition to credentials. Now, place these guys at a crime scene or protest and yes, I'd prefer to wear something that distances me from the huddled masses so I don't get baton'd or hit.

Not only that, but cops & security guards harassing everyday photographers as well. Drones take it to a slightly different level with regards to mistrust & ignorance.

Deathwish
12-18-2018, 12:49 PM
Lots of drone operators in Paris these days. Wearing the yellow vest definitely sets them apart from the protesters.

TransWorld
12-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Lots of drone operators in Paris these days. Wearing the yellow vest definitely sets them apart from the protesters.

In Egypt the President banned purchase of yellow vests. Just saying.

Ducttape
12-19-2018, 07:19 AM

I wish I had the same respect when I wear my FBI Female Body Inspector shirt to events.

flensr
12-19-2018, 06:38 PM
I think youíre missing the point.

Yea. The point is that this is a pilot forum and we have an obligation to poop on drone operators, as a matter of principle. Skill and technical qualifications mean nothing if it's not associated with a real pilot's license. Move along, nothing to see here.

Han Solo
12-20-2018, 02:53 AM

WAAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I need this vest for my walk arounds. Sorry if somebody else already said this, but 1 page of stupidity is all I could handle so I quit looking.

Twin Wasp
12-20-2018, 07:13 AM
Even it didn't have the Useless Today stuff on it, that would cool.

DWC CAP10 USAF
12-22-2018, 10:36 AM
And the remote operator card card doesn't look anything like all the part 61, 63 or 65 cards.

UAS License has the same colors and layout of info, but doesnít have the Wright brothers and 737 images in the background. Also has ďUASĒ in bold white letters along the right side of the card.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1