Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Expired CFI

mindthatbird
12-15-2018, 10:20 AM
I would like to know everybody's thoughts on renewing a CFI rating that has been expired for about 18 years. If I would complete training for a CFII and pass the check ride would that renew my CFI? I haven't done a lot of flying in the past 18 years I am current on my BFR total time is 1850 hrs. thank you for the reply.

Twin Wasp
12-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Technically you're not renewing your CFI, you are reinstating it. And yes, passing a ride for an additional rating makes the original current again. See 61.199.

JohnBurke
12-16-2018, 02:06 PM
I've let mine lapse three times over the years and reinstated it with a checkride. It can be a checkride for the same level of certification, or you can add one you that you didn't have; CFII, or add a glider rating, etc.

Seeing as you need to go to the trouble of taking a checkride anyway, you might as well add something.