Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commuting options

05Duramax
12-17-2018, 10:31 PM
So I know commuting is not ideal, I know driving to work is better than commuting. So all those wanting to give me advice, I appreciate it but I'm looking for actual good advice not the same old "your an idiot if you commute from the West Coast" crowd. I've talked to plenty of friends who are at the airlines now, I know what I'm getting into and there are reasons why I want to commute.

Ok now that we are done with that; my question. I will be at Republic and I will be commuting, I will be commuting from Seattle. My question is what is the best commute. Is it better to commute to a place like MCI that has 4 daily direct flights from SEA with little other commuters to compete with, IND with two flights a day on FedEx where you can reserve the jumpseat 3 weeks ahead of time or trying to get ORD with 16 direct flights a day but a crap load of other commuters. Also knowing that ORD and MCI are super senior captain bases, so not much long term hope there. Just not sure what would be the easiest commute??

direct2entent
12-18-2018, 06:41 AM
Also a Seattle new hire. I bid for IND and am planning to commute at least through the end of IOE and for some amount of reserve if there is any.

greendotplus10
12-18-2018, 06:55 AM
I havenít commuted between hubs before, but I have deadheaded several times between IAH/ORD/EWR on 737s. Every time, the flights were 100% full, with 10+ on standby. Thereís usually other pilots standing around but I know thereís not enough seats for them all. I donít see how guys can commute on such busy flights all the time. I suspect something like SEA-ORD will be packed full all the time, but itís worth researching. Passrider.com is one site that will help you with commutability.

That said, my ideal commute is hub to outstation on RJs where the city is large enough to have reliable 121 service, yet not so large that flights frequently become oversold. SEA-MCI or IND isnít ideal. But I would probably be choosing this over the hub to hub routes I mentioned earlier.

05Duramax
12-18-2018, 11:12 AM
I havenít commuted between hubs before, but I have deadheaded several times between IAH/ORD/EWR on 737s. Every time, the flights were 100% full, with 10+ on standby. Thereís usually other pilots standing around but I know thereís not enough seats for them all. I donít see how guys can commute on such busy flights all the time. I suspect something like SEA-ORD will be packed full all the time, but itís worth researching. Passrider.com is one site that will help you with commutability.

That said, my ideal commute is hub to outstation on RJs where the city is large enough to have reliable 121 service, yet not so large that flights frequently become oversold. SEA-MCI or IND isnít ideal. But I would probably be choosing this over the hub to hub routes I mentioned earlier.

This is what I'm worried about. Also at one point both UAL and AA had crew bases in SEA, I imagine their are a lot of commuters. That being said alot of people make it work. That's why I was thinking the IND base might be a good deal, mainly use FedEx but if not their are a lot of ways to get there (of course all two legs).

05Duramax
12-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Also a Seattle new hire. I bid for IND and am planning to commute at least through the end of IOE and for some amount of reserve if there is any.

When do you start training?

direct2entent
12-18-2018, 11:14 AM
When do you start training?

2 months ago

tritofly
12-19-2018, 04:53 AM

Indy is having at least 3 months of reserve for FOs right now. Im maybe looking at a composite for January.

05Duramax
12-19-2018, 05:12 AM
Another question about commuting, if your based in an out station do you normally end your day back at your base or most nights on your line spent out of base? How does this compare with hub bases? I've read on some airlines forums' all the nights on your line are spent out of base?

Thanks!

05Duramax
12-19-2018, 05:13 AM

Forgot to thank you for the constructive advice!

Tigflt17
12-19-2018, 07:09 AM
Another question about commuting, if your based in an out station do you normally end your day back at your base or most nights on your line spent out of base? How does this compare with hub bases? I've read on some airlines forums' all the nights on your line are spent out of base?

Thanks!

That is the same in the industry and the name of the game of being a pilot. If itís a 1 day trip then you end in base of course. Anything else, youíll end in base on last day

05Duramax
12-19-2018, 07:25 AM
That is the same in the industry and the name of the game of being a pilot. If itís a 1 day trip then you end in base of course. Anything else, youíll end in base on last day

Thanks for the answer, the airline I'm most familiar with, Alaska, I believe actually has a lot trips where you are in SEA at the end of the day. It's almost like a 9-5 for some people I've talked to. I figured this was an outlier, thanks for confirming.

Rahlifer
12-20-2018, 04:01 PM
SEA-MCI may not be too bad of a commute as far as competition for the jumpseat. It's not a hub to hub commute which is a royal PITA anyway you slice it. The biggest downside is that the trips in MCI tend to start very early on day one and end late on the last day. That's gonna cost you a day off on both ends for the commute. ORD has a bunch more flights, but most likely has a lot more mainline guys jumpseating.

Longhornmaniac8
12-21-2018, 10:54 AM
SEA-MCI may not be too bad of a commute as far as competition for the jumpseat. It's not a hub to hub commute which is a royal PITA anyway you slice it. The biggest downside is that the trips in MCI tend to start very early on day one and end late on the last day. That's gonna cost you a day off on both ends for the commute. ORD has a bunch more flights, but most likely has a lot more mainline guys jumpseating.

From what I can see, MCI actually has quite a few commutable trips. Maybe not from the West Coast, but for those of us in the central time zone, it doesn't look too terribly bad.

Rahlifer
12-21-2018, 01:31 PM
From what I can see, MCI actually has quite a few commutable trips. Maybe not from the West Coast, but for those of us in the central time zone, it doesn't look too terribly bad.

Yep, commutability is very subjective depending on time zones, number of flights, etc. The OP is commuting from SEA. Two time zones and probably around three hour block time so it's doable. Looks like there's even a red-eye, but that can be tough on the body after a while.:cool:

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1