Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Southwest ETOPS certification

Shockley
12-19-2018, 07:34 AM
They flew a flight to test nav and comms in ETOPS airspace. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N8319F/history/20181219/0330Z/KOAK/KOAK

French3Holer
12-19-2018, 08:03 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/5GoVLqeAOo6PK/giphy.gif

WHACKMASTER
12-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Lmao. Iím sure it was a good ďjetĒ and theyíll be a full debrief in the jetway.

Peacock
12-19-2018, 12:52 PM

Was it not a jet? The link lists it as a ďtwin jetĒ. You pick some weird things to get upset about.

hoover
12-19-2018, 01:19 PM
There is an inside joke going in about how some of our pilots during the hand off sat "good jet". I think thats what he's referencing

WHACKMASTER
12-19-2018, 03:21 PM
There is an inside joke going in about how some of our pilots during the hand off sat "good jet". I think thats what he's referencing

Thatís exactly what Iím referring to.

Tenacvols
12-20-2018, 06:04 AM

What about the fist bump?

WHACKMASTER
12-20-2018, 07:07 AM
What about the fist bump?

Usually not when Iím wearing my flag tie :D

Uptair
12-20-2018, 04:49 PM
My favorite jet way debrief was the other day, Capt walk by and said ďGood jet, lands hard, taxis fast! LaterĒ

RJSAviator76
12-21-2018, 03:19 PM
Usually not when Iím wearing my flag tie :D

Dude..... :D

4thLevel
12-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Fwiw -

The Feds have approved our etops program - manuals and training.

All that is left is for them to observe a series of mock tabletop flights involving flight ops/mx/dispatch etc. Then 6 actual validation flights - some with planned diverts.

Once you see us doing the proving runs, we're just days away from adding it to our ops specs. I would guess before the end of January.

WHACKMASTER
12-22-2018, 02:42 PM
Fwiw -

All that is left is for them to observe a series of mock tabletop flights involving flight ops/mx/dispatch etc. Then 6 actual validation flights - some with planned diverts.

Once you see us doing the proving runs, we're just days away from adding it to our ops specs. I would guess before the end of January.

Unless of course the check airman bone it up a la WATRS to SJU :rolleyes:

deus ex machina
12-22-2018, 02:47 PM
Fwiw -

wow... ETOPS... it's like the new 1-2-3-50 at the bar.. the chicks... they are going to love it...

maybe you guys can get flight suits... and sunglasses... like Iceman at the O'club.

ipdanno
12-22-2018, 06:48 PM
wow... ETOPS... it's like the new 1-2-3-50 at the bar.. the chicks... they are going to love it...

maybe you guys can get flight suits... and sunglasses... like Iceman at the O'club.

YOU might need flight suits and sunglasses, like Iceman at the OíClub, but all we need is Texas flag boxers, and some Lucchese boots with the Gonzales cannon stitched in the back. ďCome and Take It!Ē

deus ex machina
12-22-2018, 07:04 PM
YOU might need flight suits and sunglasses, like Iceman at the OíClub, but all we need is Texas flag boxers, and some Lucchese boots with the Gonzales cannon stitched in the back. ďCome and Take It!Ē

Don't forget the 'stache.... you guys are the Yosemite Sam of LCCs.

4thLevel
12-23-2018, 01:03 AM
Whatever douchebags....I'm just providing the latest information that is actually germain to this thread.

I honestly don't care whether you feel the information is valid or not.

Whack needs a new hobby. Poor bastard.

WHACKMASTER
12-23-2018, 06:06 AM
Whatever douchebags....I'm just providing the latest information that is actually germain to this thread.

Why? Truth hurt or what? SWA acquires carrier that already operates in WATRS airspace and then proceeds to eff it up to the point where we get kicked out of it?

Ya know......kinda like Key West where acquired carrier was again operating successfully until SWA couldnít make it work due to very limiting performance criteria no doubt in part to numerous pavement excursions over the years.

Interesting how service to Bermuda got dropped, too.

BZC17
12-23-2018, 06:41 AM

Donít take it personally, just donít feed the trolls...

Tenacvols
12-23-2018, 11:44 AM

Man, Iíd rock a flightsuit in a New York minute. One of the few things I miss about the military. However, I donít believe Iceman rocked his flightsuit at the bar, I remember him being in his whites....

deus ex machina
12-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Man, Iíd rock a flightsuit in a New York minute. One of the few things I miss about the military. However, I donít believe Iceman rocked his flightsuit at the bar, I remember him being in his whites....

What else do you remember?

Bluesideup1
12-23-2018, 04:42 PM
Why? Truth hurt or what? SWA acquires carrier that already operates in WATRS airspace and then proceeds to eff it up to the point where we get kicked out of it?

Ya know......kinda like Key West where acquired carrier was again operating successfully until SWA couldn’t make it work due to very limiting performance criteria no doubt in part to numerous pavement excursions over the years.

Interesting how service to Bermuda got dropped, too.

Dang dude you need to let it go especially when it comes to the carrier that was 1/5th the size, operated 1/6th as many flights but has killed over 100 times more people in accidents due to poor procedures.

The only reason Key West was working for you is because the pilots at the tran were paid so poorly and the contract was so bad they tran could still make money flying into a market where there is so little demand.

WHACKMASTER
12-23-2018, 04:57 PM
Dang dude you need to let it go especially when it comes to the carrier that was 1/5th the size, operated 1/6th as many flights but has killed over 100 times more people in accidents due to poor procedures.

The only reason Key West was working for you is because the pilots at the tran were paid so poorly and the contract was so bad they tran could still make money flying into a market where there is so little demand.

Bahahaha. Thatís some of the funniest stuff Iíve read in a while. FYI, Delta flies B737-700s into EYW. Amazing....:rolleyes:

sMFer
12-23-2018, 07:03 PM
Bahahaha. Thatís some of the funniest stuff Iíve read in a while. FYI, Delta flies B737-700s into EYW. Amazing....:rolleyes:

Not sure what your deal is. You want a recommendation? Send me your resume. Iíll take a look at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WHACKMASTER
12-23-2018, 07:50 PM
Not sure what your deal is. You want a recommendation? Send me your resume. Iíll take a look at it.

Itís over your head.

4thLevel
12-23-2018, 11:57 PM
No Whack - it's over yours.

And it has been for a long time.

Has been. As in you. A has been.

Seriously dude, the vitriol you spue is ridiculous and unjustified.

How long have you been vomiting forth this stuff? Almost 10 years now now?

Maybe you should get a hobby.

Bluesideup1
12-24-2018, 12:08 AM

It is pretty funny isn't it. I know with those wages and contract at the tran all you could do is laugh.

The fact that 98% of the flying into EYW is done with regional jets that with contracts and pay that was similar to what the tran was paying back before SW bought them is pretty funny to most people also.

Funny how before the acquisition there were over 500 AT pilot apps in at SW. How many apps SW apps were in at the tran? Thats right ZERO.

It seems you like low wages, bad contracts and small airlines. There are plenty of regionals that you would love and fit in perfectly with.

Opakapaka
12-24-2018, 12:34 AM
It is pretty funny isn't it. I know with those wages and contract at the tran all you could do is laugh.

The fact that 98% of the flying into EYW is done with regional jets that with contracts and pay that was similar to what the tran was paying back before SW bought them is pretty funny to most people also.

Funny how before the acquisition there were over 500 AT pilot apps in at SW. How many apps SW apps were in at the tran? Thats right ZERO.

It seems you like low wages, bad contracts and small airlines. There are plenty of regionals that you would love and fit in perfectly with.
Dirt bag airline to boot 😵

gipple
12-24-2018, 02:32 PM

And infested with SCABS.
Wack had no vocal heartburn joining that prestigious group.

4thLevel
12-25-2018, 01:19 AM
And infested with SCABS.
Wack had no vocal heartburn joining that prestigious group.

Word.

Fill....

cactipilot
12-26-2018, 04:25 AM
Don't forget the 'stache.... you guys are the Yosemite Sam of LCCs.
so cute :)

Sluggo_63
01-02-2019, 12:46 PM
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2019/01/02/southwest-airlines-moves-closer-to-hawaii-service.amp.html

Filler....

iahflyr
01-10-2019, 11:00 AM
Any idea on how long the Government Shutdown will delay ETOPS certification for these Hawaii flights?

Smooth at FL450
01-10-2019, 11:50 AM
Any idea on how long the Government Shutdown will delay ETOPS certification for these Hawaii flights?

I doubt anyone can answer that. Standing by to stand by.

Salukidawg
01-11-2019, 07:28 AM
Hereís your answer.

http://https://www.pprune.org/redirect-to/?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.latimes.com%2Ftravel%2 Fla-tr-southwest-airlines-flights-california-hawaii-20190111-story.html (https://www.pprune.org/redirect-to/?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.latimes.com%2Ftravel%2 Fla-tr-southwest-airlines-flights-california-hawaii-20190111-story.html)

Boogie Nights
01-11-2019, 11:51 AM
Dirt bag airline to boot 😵
Whack comment aside the guys at AT were good to fly with. Yeah we had some odd balls but so does SWA. AT left on time had highest baggage handling rates in business and second in on-time behind Hawaiian. We had a good product, but a different product than SWA.
I Luv working at SWA, but objectively, itís biggest flaws of late are a certain arrogance, and making certain processes difficult. There is no need to constantly re-invent the wheel on things. That said there are many thing SWA gets right IMO. AT was functionally disfunctional. It was a decent place to work with lots of good folks. Why are there still haters 7 years on? Let it go. Move on life is too short.

Rolf
01-16-2019, 03:25 PM
Boogie,
One day we will invent a wheel thatís rounder AND shinier, just wait...

WestCoastHercs
01-25-2019, 01:22 PM
So, when the gov re-opens, are we first in line at the FAA for the table top exercises and proving flights??

Grumpyaviator
01-26-2019, 06:59 AM
If certification had taken a few months, we would’ve been operating HI long before the shutdown. Lessons learned.

N6279P
01-26-2019, 07:49 AM
If certification had taken a few months, we wouldíve been operating HI long before the shutdown. Lessons learned.

Whatís the lesson? Start the process three years ago instead of two?

Botched
01-26-2019, 10:23 AM
So, when the gov re-opens, are we first in line at the FAA for the table top exercises and proving flights??

Definitely the best place to ask this question is on this forum.

deus ex machina
01-26-2019, 11:37 AM
Still waiting on refurbished aircraft carriers to be staged between Hawaii and Cali for the expected diverts...

Skyward
01-26-2019, 11:44 AM
Still waiting on refurbished aircraft carriers to be staged between Hawaii and Cali for the expected diverts...

Why? Do you have a HI trip this month?

Grumpyaviator
01-26-2019, 12:42 PM
What’s the lesson? Start the process three years ago instead of two?

Or do what other carriers have done and not take so long. It should’ve been a three to six month process, why it takes us so long is beyond me. Even bottom of the barrel regionals can add a whole new fleet type with all the programs and certifications that go with it in less than a year.

Duke Beamer
01-26-2019, 09:33 PM
To those interested in flying for Southwest, sorry you have to filter through so much bitterness and negativity from a couple of characters on here. I don't know if they have anything positive in their real life, so they spend time on here writing nonsense for some sort of escape. To those on here actually engaging in real, constructive conversation....thanks. I used to be on here a lot more before I got hired and I used a lot of the information here to help make my decision.

4thLevel
01-27-2019, 12:02 AM
Or do what other carriers have done and not take so long. It shouldíve been a three to six month process, why it takes us so long is beyond me. Even bottom of the barrel regionals can add a whole new fleet type with all the programs and certifications that go with it in less than a year.

Cite one carrier that established etops from nothing in 3-6 months.

You can't - because it's never happened. One year plus is the norm.

Adding a fleet type? That is chump-change.

SD3FR8DOG
01-27-2019, 01:16 AM

So they can run off the end? :D

sMFer
01-27-2019, 09:23 PM

Awwwwwwe....applied and couldnít get an interview, huh?

Sluggo_63
01-27-2019, 11:09 PM
Cite one carrier that established etops from nothing in 3-6 months.

You can't - because it's never happened. One year plus is the norm.

Adding a fleet type? That is chump-change.
Not that it matters, but I think we (FedEx) took delivery of our first 777 (new fleet type) in September 2009, first ETOPS revenue flight in April 2010. I could be wrong though. Glad for you guys that the FAA is back in business.

SD3FR8DOG
01-28-2019, 01:09 AM

Nope. Interviewed BUT enjoy the 1 leg widebody life so went with that. Also donít like cowboy hats.

French3Holer
01-28-2019, 04:10 AM
Not that it matters, but I think we (FedEx) took delivery of our first 777 (new fleet type) in September 2009, first ETOPS revenue flight in April 2010. I could be wrong though. Glad for you guys that the FAA is back in business.

Yes, but FedEx already had ETOPs approval and were adding to the type to the LOA, not getting initial certification.

RJSAviator76
01-28-2019, 04:17 AM
Nope. Interviewed BUT enjoy the 1 leg widebody life so went with that. Also donít like cowboy hats.

Bet you enjoyed that first year pay too. ;)

In any case, very poor form poking fun at othersí mishaps. Karma can be a b****

deus ex machina
01-28-2019, 11:24 AM

EMAS will be installed at the bow... with ready to go air stairs for immediate deplaning...

Gavin MacLeod look-a-likes will welcome pax aboard the LUV Boat...

4thLevel
02-02-2019, 05:18 AM
Tabletop exercises were passed this week, the first proving run is Tuesday, OAK-HNL.

Proximity
02-02-2019, 06:56 AM
Tabletop exercises were passed this week, the first proving run is Tuesday, OAK-HNL.

I hope it's realistic...two jumpseaters too cheap to buy tickets or cash in SWAG, and super junior FO hoping the cappy will pay for his meals because his perdiem isn't going far at the airport Hyatt Place.

e6bpilot
02-02-2019, 07:01 AM
Check airman that I flew with said the cockpit jumpseat is expected to be occupied on every leg for the first few months due to check airman and crew qualifications. Add Joe vacation pilot/mechanic/dispatcher and you can see where this is going.

PerfInit
02-02-2019, 07:05 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/southwest-paid-faa-inspector-dollar3150-to-approve-jets-during-shutdown/ar-BBSY3bq?li=BBnbfcL

ZapBrannigan
02-02-2019, 07:30 AM
6 hours with 2 jumpseaters in a cockpit that was built for 90 minute legs ought to be considered a war crime.

gipple
02-02-2019, 02:16 PM
6 hours with 2 jumpseaters in a cockpit that was built for 90 minute legs ought to be considered a war crime.

Ding ding ding.
Bean counters pushed the first successful regional jet to an intercontinental range workhorse.
**** that!

SD3FR8DOG
02-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Bet you enjoyed that first year pay too. ;)

In any case, very poor form poking fun at othersí mishaps. Karma can be a b****

Cmon. SWA pilots are some of the loudest and cocky folks around. Itís good for you to have some medicine. Itís all in jest anyhow. Loosen up!

4thLevel
02-02-2019, 07:15 PM
I hope it's realistic...two jumpseaters too cheap to buy tickets or cash in SWAG, and super junior FO hoping the cappy will pay for his meals because his perdiem isn't going far at the airport Hyatt Place.

And snow uphill both ways.

Jesus, can you guys find a valid argument? If you aren't interested in the flying - just say so.

Btw, our HNL hotel is the Hilton Hawaiian Village (and I'm sure you guys will find issues with that). The other hotels are at least that quality or better.

sMFer
02-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Cmon. SWA pilots are some of the loudest and cocky folks around. Itís good for you to have some medicine. Itís all in jest anyhow. Loosen up!TOTD. What an assinine post.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Proximity
02-03-2019, 06:59 AM
Jesus, can you guys find a valid argument? If you aren't interested in the flying - just say so.

It was mostly a joke. I didn't know any hotel info had been disseminated to the masses and I read everything they send out. I'm going to very closely watch the LAX domicile and if the seniority picture is right for me I'll bid it.

Here are my actual HI flying concerns, it's such a big focus that other stuff is being neglected. We're pulling out of MEX, how can we not make that work? Why can't we take foreign currency yet? Why have so many of our competitors been able to find Canada yet we can't. Why can't we track bags properly? When are we going to fix our internet? These are all things I never hear about, yet the company pushes out plenty of HI news.

French3Holer
02-03-2019, 10:37 AM
It was mostly a joke. I didn't know any hotel info had been disseminated to the masses and I read everything they send out. I'm going to very closely watch the LAX domicile and if the seniority picture is right for me I'll bid it.

Here are my actual HI flying concerns, it's such a big focus that other stuff is being neglected. We're pulling out of MEX, how can we not make that work? Why can't we take foreign currency yet? Why have so many of our competitors been able to find Canada yet we can't. Why can't we track bags properly? When are we going to fix our internet? These are all things I never hear about, yet the company pushes out plenty of HI news.

https://media.giphy.com/media/VRa3YCyi3JSWk/giphy.gif

captjns
02-03-2019, 11:40 AM

Reads like you should be part of the solution rather than part of the problem...

ShyGuy
02-03-2019, 11:42 AM
Hello? Oakland Center? Hello? LA center? Dude why arenít they responding? Letís just turn back :D

hoover
02-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Hello? Oakland Center? Hello? LA center? Dude why arenít they responding? Letís just turn back :D

More like no ACARS for 2000 miles

Beaver Hunter
02-04-2019, 07:56 AM

I failed IOE. The check pilot said, I donít land the airplane hard enough😊

Crown
02-04-2019, 06:51 PM
Btw, our HNL hotel is the Hilton Hawaiian Village (and I'm sure you guys will find issues with that). The other hotels are at least that quality or better.

seriously? can I tag along on my layovers for the 50% discount at the buffet in the morning? That's amazing. Good for you guys.

sMFer
02-05-2019, 07:14 AM
seriously? can I tag along on my layovers for the 50% discount at the buffet in the morning? That's amazing. Good for you guys.Ooohhhhhhh.....hotel bashing. Some serious Internet cred displayed! Man, you must be at mainline!

at6d
02-05-2019, 07:49 AM
He is a 3rd year Delta narrow-body person.

ROFF
02-05-2019, 09:01 AM
seriously? can I tag along on my layovers for the 50% discount at the buffet in the morning? That's amazing. Good for you guys.

Just order room service, more time for trolling other airline boards.

Unless you do that on your days off.

Peacock
02-05-2019, 11:06 AM
He is a 3rd year Delta narrow-body person.

Narrow body people are the worst

Shockley
02-05-2019, 12:25 PM
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA8725/history/20190205/1917Z/KOAK/PHNL

at6d
02-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Narrow body people are the worst

I knew it! Iím surrounded by them!!

(Just took it from his end-of-year money post).

THEKERNALKLINK
02-05-2019, 04:38 PM

Nothing quite like sitting around a hotel room for 2 days straight for $2/hr... maybe you can pick the bed bugs out of the mattress and invent a new delicacy?

That must be way better than making 500k/yr to fly a 7-3 12-14 days per month.

BUT, your airplane is bigger than mine, I'll give you that much.

WHACKMASTER
02-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Nothing quite like sitting around a hotel room for 2 days straight for $2/hr... maybe you can pick the bed bugs out of the mattress and invent a new delicacy?

Pulleeez. No SWA pilot makes half a million by working 12-14 days a month.

Yeah, Iím sure heís really envious of our route structure and layovers :rolleyes:

THEKERNALKLINK
02-05-2019, 05:05 PM
Pulleeez. No SWA pilot makes half a million by working 12-14 days a month.

Yeah, Iím sure heís really envious of our route structure and layovers :rolleyes:

I actually have never cracked that number yet myself. Upper 4's. I think the key is to get to the point where you can bid a bunch of sit on your thumbs time, then pick up...

I'm a few years away from being able to hang it up as far as my duties in the reserves goes, and I'll qualify for the retirement pay at 52, not 60. I really hope "it" is still hanging out there to scoop up when that time comes. For now though, I have 1800 people and spread across 4 states and 3 countries, comprised of 5 different types of manned aircraft and 1 drone type. It's a 2nd full time job.

The smartest earner pilot I've ever met is the wife of a great guy I flew with a couple of times out of MDW. She just never had any interest in leaving the regional she is with. 20 plus years, a billion dollar @ss and rack, even after 4 kids, and she barely keeps the minimal requirements on take off's and landings. Sure, she only makes 94k/yr, but she only gets aboard an aircraft maybe 10-12 times per year! We do damn near that every trip. She fracking slave drives her old man tough. She's the one living on the keyboard. It works for them!

WestCoastHercs
02-05-2019, 06:58 PM
I saw that the flight to HNL landed.
Any gouge if FAA was on board, and if we passed??
Iím ďpatientlyĒ waiting to drive to work!

sMFer
02-05-2019, 07:25 PM
I saw that the flight to HNL landed.

Any gouge if FAA was on board, and if we passed??

Iím ďpatientlyĒ waiting to drive to work!

As the many company emails stated, yes FAA personnel were on board. Along with 7 pilots and Iím sure many mx folks as well. This is 1 of probably 6 proving runs. Along with these, we have some more table top exercises to complete and it should go pretty quickly assuming the govt doesnít shut down again.

HuggyU2
02-05-2019, 07:30 PM
a billion dollar @ss and rack, even after 4 kids...

What's even more awesome is that you're a class act!

Crown
02-06-2019, 07:45 AM
Ooohhhhhhh.....hotel bashing. Some serious Internet cred displayed! Man, you must be at mainline!

was not trolling at all. I'm seriously envious. The Hilton Hawaiian Village is awesome. Sorry if it came off that way.

Grumpyaviator
02-06-2019, 01:58 PM

If you have a good contract you’re not sitting around for per diem. You’re getting paid well on min day, at the beach. Many of us don’t know what we don’t know about qol at other carriers.

goforthz
02-07-2019, 07:41 AM

I did the ACMI flying, at K4. They once airline-ed me to Dubai because they needed crews in position. I ended up sitting in a hotel for 16 days and didn't fly a single trip. I'll take 3 day/4 day trips over 16 days away from home, and potentially not breaking guarantee. It's a no brainer.

The ACMI lifestyle is for a small segment of the pilot population. I'm glad there are people hungry for the adventure of ACMI but there definitely is a 3 year breaking point. At 3 years you either love it, or hate it.

hoover
02-07-2019, 10:08 AM
I agree. I did ACMI for almost 9 yrs. Two weeks on two weeks off. I like it and thought I'd wouldn't like the airline schedule but after a yr I was able to start getting blocks of time off in a row. Up to 10 days sometimes and now being gone for a 4 day seems brutal.
The pace sure is quicker. No more sitting in hotels for days but then again there's no more sitting in hotels for days when I could be home instead.
To each their own

Setopbug
02-07-2019, 02:23 PM
I hope you guys enjoy the new flying. Hawaii is awesome.

sMFer
02-07-2019, 06:29 PM
I hope you guys enjoy the new flying. Hawaii is awesome.

Thank you. Our home away from home is Kona. Canít wait to get some overnights there. Love that city.

Squallrider
02-11-2019, 05:13 AM

The Mexican government is heavily subsidizing their own carriers out of mex, southwest canít compete at that price point so withdrawing service

Zard
02-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Thank you. Our home away from home is Kona. Canít wait to get some overnights there. Love that city.

I'm an upcountry kinda haole. Waimea might be my favorite little town on the big island. I miss the Big Island Brewhaus.

N6279P
02-11-2019, 09:21 AM
The Mexican government is heavily subsidizing their own carriers out of mex, southwest canít compete at that price point so withdrawing service

Seems like an excuse to me considering the legacy carriers can make it work.

RJSAviator76
02-11-2019, 10:19 AM
And one legacy owns a big part of AeroMexico.

sMFer
02-11-2019, 10:42 AM

You crack me up. Donít you think if it was a profitable route the airline would continue to fly it? Please stay out of anything related to management.

WHACKMASTER
02-11-2019, 12:03 PM

The Legacies can accept foreign currency as payment. SWA still canít so Mexicans canít use pesos to purchase tickets on us. Chalk it up to ďtech debtĒ. How long has SWA been going south of the border? 5-6 years now? Pathetic....

at6d
02-11-2019, 12:04 PM
The Legacies can accept foreign currency as payment. SWA still canít so Mexicans canít use pesos to purchase tickets on us. Chalk it up to ďtech debtĒ. How long has SWA been going south of the border? 5-6 years now? Pathetic....

I thought the new reservation system fixed that.

WHACKMASTER
02-11-2019, 12:43 PM
I thought the new reservation system fixed that.

Negative. It has not.

Grumpyaviator
02-12-2019, 04:09 AM
The reservation system can accept foreign currency but they can’t convert it to rapid rewards and other ancillary programs according to the network folks.

WHACKMASTER
02-12-2019, 07:27 AM
The reservation system can accept foreign currency but they canít convert it to rapid rewards and other ancillary programs according to the network folks.

Good to know. Thanks.

e6bpilot
02-12-2019, 08:42 AM
The new res system can take foreign currency. Our back end system cannot make it work. Therefore we left. That is the line that was fed to the Houston chief pilots who let us know when we asked. They said it is a work in progress and that we will look at going back once it is fixed. It doesnít help that we do not have any network partners there to get folks from Mexico City to points beyond.
As someone who has flown there often, the loads are hit or miss. It can be super full going one way and totally empty going back. This and SJO are our attempts at ďbig boyĒ international that doesnít rely on leisure travelers. Looks like we missed the mark in MEX. In SJO, Southwest has an actual ticket office and they have a workaround to take Costa Rican Colonies that the bank there exchanges to dollars. The loads there in my experience are generally pretty solid and are a good mix of Americans, expats, and Costa Rican folks. Like Mexico, the people who live there love that bags fly free since they can ship goods back and forth with them as they travel.

coflyr
02-12-2019, 02:58 PM

I sure wish you would quit and go somewhere else that would make you happy. You have to be just miserable to fly with. That and Iíd move up a number.

WHACKMASTER
02-12-2019, 04:35 PM
I sure wish you would quit and go somewhere else that would make you happy. You have to be just miserable to fly with. That and Iíd move up a number.

What?! And miss the chance to fly with you and keep you down a number? Never....

Do you disagree that this company is a joke when it comes to such things as not being able to process foreign currency FOR YEARS NOW, VNAV that is atrocious FOR YEARS NOW, WiFi that hasnít worked properly FOR YEARS NOW, etc., etc., etc.?

coflyr
02-12-2019, 04:45 PM
What?! And miss the chance to fly with you and keep you down a number? Never....

Do you disagree that this company is a joke when it comes to such things as not being able to process foreign currency FOR YEARS NOW, VNAV that is atrocious FOR YEARS NOW, WiFi that hasnít worked properly FOR YEARS NOW, etc., etc., etc.?

Iím fairly sure we have flown together. And you did make me miserable.

You wanna talk about jokes? How was morale at your last airline? Or earnings?

You fly for the most profitable airline in history.

You already heard that we do accept foreign currency.

Whatís your problem with VNAV? Fly the plane.

And wi-fi? Really? WTF do you care about WiFi as a crew member. And every airlines WiFi sucks.

Please do us all a favor and help solve the problems you have , or ****.

Signed, every SWA pilot

Psycho18th
02-12-2019, 05:29 PM
I will say that the WiFi thing is kind of embarrassing and Iím surprised it doesnít hurt our sales to business travelers. Iíd be fuming as a pax on a 4+ hour flight when many of our 800ís (it seems) the WiFi is INOP.

I assume itís tough for SWA to crack a foreign market because it must take a ton of advertising $$ to get someone to click on Southwest.com to buy a ticket when most other airlines have that part built in with all the travel sites.

As a consumer, I see these as hurdles. Maybe itís not worth the investment right now, but sure hope the folks making those decisions invest at the right time to not adversely impact the bottom line.

WHACKMASTER
02-12-2019, 06:27 PM

And wi-fi? Really? WTF do you care about WiFi as a crew member. And every airlines WiFi sucks.

Signed, every SWA pilot

Wow man. You sound more angry than me. Drink higher quantities of the Kool Aid. Apparently it has a calming effect.

Swedish Blender
02-13-2019, 01:13 AM
I assume itís tough for SWA to crack a foreign market because it must take a ton of advertising $$ to get someone to click on Southwest.com to buy a ticket when most other airlines have that part built in with all the travel sites.

Actually, you canít log on from a foreign country. I always get access denied.

Just FYI

Sa227capt
02-13-2019, 02:46 PM
Wow man. You sound more angry than me. Drink higher quantities of the Kool Aid. Apparently it has a calming effect.

No, I think like the rest of us, he or she is tired of listening to your nonsense. Like I said in another thread, you are known here and actual name. So very sad indeed...

Sa227capt
02-13-2019, 02:47 PM

Signed, every SWA pilot

^^^THIS^^^

Peacock
02-14-2019, 10:56 PM
Those sample pairings were interesting. The many two day trips that pay 16ish look pretty nice, especially if you live in base. The longer ones donít look as desirable.

4thLevel
02-17-2019, 02:19 AM

Signed, every SWA pilot

And the fact that he continues to glorify an airline filled with SCABS - speaks volumes. :rolleyes:

Strange how he never addresses that quaint little aspect.

Looking forward to HI.

WHACKMASTER
02-18-2019, 10:37 AM
And the fact that he continues to glorify an airline filled with SCABS - speaks volumes. :rolleyes:

Strange how he never addresses that quaint little aspect.

Looking forward to HI.

I hate scabs and their past actions just as much as everyone. That said, we had a lot smaller percentage of them than say Continental. Check your facts before you spew. Funny....you assume Iíd defend what they did. I wonít. Not even close. Have been a strong unionist for the last two decades and worked as a committee chairman to promote and defend our profession.

WHACKMASTER
02-18-2019, 10:46 AM
I’m fairly sure we have flown together. And you did make me miserable.

What’s your problem with VNAV? Fly the plane.

Signed, every SWA pilot

I’m sorry but are you challenged or something? We can’t process or accept (impotent for all practical purposes either way) foreign currency years after taking over the international routes of the previously acquired carrier. SAD

I do fly the plane thank you very much. That doesn’t change the fact that our VNAV sucks and has for years. Yet the company can’t fix the software? SAD

No. Not every airline’s WiFi sucks. As a matter of fact....of those that I’ve used, all have been functional which is much more than can said for ours a large percentage of the time. It’s been YEARS now that it’s sucked and there seems to be no fix in sight. If I was a paying customer I’d be fuming. SAD

I’ll acknowledge the strengths of our airline but you and some others seem to have a difficult time acknowledging the weaknesses that have dragged on for years.

full of luv
02-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Iím sorry but are you challenged or something? We canít process or accept (impotent for all practical purposes either way) foreign currency years after taking over the international routes of the previously acquired carrier. SAD

I do fly the plane thank you very much. That doesnít change the fact that our VNAV sucks and has for years. Yet the company canít fix the software? SAD

No. Not every airlineís WiFi sucks. As a matter of fact....of those that Iíve used, all have been functional which is much more than can said for ours a large percentage of the time. Itís been YEARS now that itís sucked and there seems to be no fix in sight. If I was a paying customer Iíd be fuming. SAD

Iíll acknowledge the strengths of our airline but you and some others seem to have a difficult time acknowledging the weaknesses that have dragged on for years.

I use the free live TV over the WIFI about once a month and it has worked about 9/10 flights......maybe I'm lucky or maybe that's different than the actual internet which I don't pay for.

Bluesideup1
02-18-2019, 11:52 PM
Iím sorry but are you challenged or something? We canít process or accept (impotent for all practical purposes either way) foreign currency years after taking over the international routes of the previously acquired carrier. SAD

I do fly the plane thank you very much. That doesnít change the fact that our VNAV sucks and has for years. Yet the company canít fix the software? SAD

No. Not every airlineís WiFi sucks. As a matter of fact....of those that Iíve used, all have been functional which is much more than can said for ours a large percentage of the time. Itís been YEARS now that itís sucked and there seems to be no fix in sight. If I was a paying customer Iíd be fuming. SAD

Iíll acknowledge the strengths of our airline but you and some others seem to have a difficult time acknowledging the weaknesses that have dragged on for years.

SW does a lot of things right and a couple things it needs to figure out but the only weakness SW has is you.

WestCoastHercs
02-19-2019, 12:42 AM
We get it Whack... The only thing that makes you happy is being miserable.
Anyone have any ETOPS gouge specific to SWA?

flyguy81
02-19-2019, 05:32 AM
All this week theyíre doing validation flights. Theyíll keep doing it until the FAA is happy and then weíll be certifiable.

LAX is opening in april so my money is revenue flights starting then. Gives the company March to advertise and sell tickets.

Salukidawg
02-19-2019, 05:44 AM
They should get ETOPS approval by the end of this week. I expect they will begin operating by mid March with OAK EBG pilots. LAX EBG pilots will begin operating their flights in April.

Sluggo_63
02-19-2019, 06:47 AM
All this week theyíre doing validation flights. Theyíll keep doing it until the FAA is happy and then weíll be certifiable.

LAX is opening in april so my money is revenue flights starting then. Gives the company March to advertise and sell tickets.Can I pay in Euros? ;)

4thLevel
02-19-2019, 09:36 AM
I hate scabs and their past actions just as much as everyone. That said, we had a lot smaller percentage of them than say Continental. Check your facts before you spew. Funny....you assume Iíd defend what they did. I wonít. Not even close. Have been a strong unionist for the last two decades and worked as a committee chairman to promote and defend our profession.

Reading comprehension = fail.

I wrote you glorify the airline, not the individuals.

Everyone is tired of your juvenile blathering Whack. Take a hint.

Hawaii should start in March with Check Airman flying until the line guys start in April.

ZapBrannigan
02-19-2019, 01:40 PM
Just another opinion, I think you guys are being way too hard on Whack. Itís ok to love your job, or love your airline and still want them to improve their product for the customers or the employees. Complaining about the VNAV or the lack of in seat power doesnít mean someone dislikes their job or the company - on the contrary it means they want the company to provide a better product. Knowing it can be better than it is today is ok. Looking critically at our competitors and seeing where we are lacking is ok. Whack is passionate about it, sure - but no moreso than the average line pilot grousing during a long leg. Call me crazy, but his posts donít get under my skin the way it does some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyguy81
02-19-2019, 02:24 PM
I donít get offended by anything on social media. He does seem more ďnegativeĒ than most on this forum or on the line. No idea who he is so not sure if thatís just venting or if heís one of the few Tranny guys who have nothing nice to say about anything...ever.

Peacock
02-19-2019, 09:53 PM
Is our VNAV software actually different from other airlines?

WhaleSurfing
02-19-2019, 09:59 PM
Just another opinion, I think you guys are being way too hard on Whack. Itís ok to love your job, or love your airline and still want them to improve their product for the customers or the employees. Complaining about the VNAV or the lack of in seat power doesnít mean someone dislikes their job or the company - on the contrary it means they want the company to provide a better product. Knowing it can be better than it is today is ok. Looking critically at our competitors and seeing where we are lacking is ok. Whack is passionate about it, sure - but no moreso than the average line pilot grousing during a long leg. Call me crazy, but his posts donít get under my skin the way it does some people.

So you condone his release of confidential company information in the past? That's passionate or a slam to his employer and fellow pilots?

ZapBrannigan
02-20-2019, 08:08 AM
So you condone his release of confidential company information in the past? That's passionate or a slam to his employer and fellow pilots?

Donít know anything about that. But since itís confidential, I wonít ask you to elaborate. [emoji850]

hoover
02-20-2019, 10:41 AM
Is our VNAV software actually different from other airlines?

Yes and no. Delta has the same basic vnav we do but others have the way way better geometric vnav software.
I flew the geometric at another airline and I still cuss out ours daily. Not because I don't understand it but because how much the geometric would save us in fuel and not bust altitudes.
But hey remeber to single engine taxi and dont turn on that apu to keep the plane cool.

e6bpilot
02-20-2019, 12:35 PM
Yes and no. Delta has the same basic vnav we do but others have the way way better geometric vnav software.

I flew the geometric at another airline and I still cuss out ours daily. Not because I don't understand it but because how much the geometric would save us in fuel and not bust altitudes.

But hey remeber to single engine taxi and dont turn on that apu to keep the plane cool.

Much like the battered spouse of an alcoholic, I have just grown accustomed to being abused by VNAV.
I donít even bat an eye anymore when it dives off the cliff at transition altitude and goes into VNAV SPEED without so much as a warning. I expect it. I embrace it. Itís like a warm blanket that lets me know I am still alive.

I did fly with someone formerly from the airline that shall not be named who accidentally took off with VNAV armed. I braced for the explosion after liftoff, but the plane actually commanded pitch and power to clean up on schedule and climb out normally without spinning knobs or hitting buttons. The best part? In the absence of LNAV being armed, it automatically goes to heading mode at 400í. I scolded said pilot for putting us in danger, but something tells me he didnít care.

ROFF
02-20-2019, 01:09 PM
Why use VNAV for takeoff??

Itís not like thereís much to do. Sheesh.

ZapBrannigan
02-20-2019, 01:35 PM
It protects you from flap overspeeds for one.... but mostly because you would be flying the airplane the way it was designed to be flown.

Sa227capt
02-20-2019, 02:22 PM

He's threatened his fellow pilots in the past, pushes the boundaries of the social media policy, and so on. He cannot get over the merger and that is his biggest issue. The chip on the shoulder needs to go. Two simple ideas: 1. Look in a mirror before casting stones. 2. It's better to remain silent and be thought the fool than to speak and remove all doubt. He has failed in both of those two primary objectives. Your opinion may differ and that is fine.

ROFF
02-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Yes. I was being sarcastic.

Makes things a LOT easier and safer.

But at least the bag count and weight are accurate.

captjns
02-21-2019, 05:18 AM
Why use VNAV for takeoff??

It’s not like there’s much to do. Sheesh.

Operator specific.

VNAV has been an issue on every model from the 737-300 (1989) through the -900ER, even with late line production models as recent as 2017 right off the production line.

You’d think after almost 40 years, Boeing would have figured this VNAV stuff out by now.

From ToD, thrust levers reduce to flight idle. The thrust levers come back faster than the nose pitchess down resulting in speed decrease below FMC speed. Then, when T/Ls are at flight idle, they are commanded forward to recapture FMC speed.

Like before magical VNAV, I use 3 for 1 plus XX miles.

I start off with V/S and switch over to VNAV.

To soften the VNAV blues, I edit the Descent Wind Page every couple of thousand feet. VNAV Path solution is recalculated every time the ENTER key is pushed.

WhaleSurfing
02-21-2019, 09:13 AM
Donít know anything about that. But since itís confidential, I wonít ask you to elaborate. [emoji850]

You donít remember him talking about FDAP incidents in detail on this forum? A search of his messages will provide the info you seek. Heís very lucky he wasnít tracked down and immediately terminated.

BigWillyCapt
02-21-2019, 10:44 AM

I would love to have geometric path. However, I was under the impression the idle path was for fuel savings. I'm not enough of a whiz and too lazy to figure it out but idle descents at the last possible second would seem to be more fuel efficient, just not as easy to work with for us and worse for the pax. SWA could switch the logic anytime they want to I assume. The just choose not to.

N6279P
02-21-2019, 02:07 PM
Who needs ETOPS when you cancel almost 10% of your flights in a single day?

at6d
02-21-2019, 04:06 PM
Did you interview and get turned down or what? Your bashing is getting old.

N6279P
02-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Did you interview and get turned down or what? Your bashing is getting old.

Post was never personal, just factual.

Canít interview somewhere youíve never applied.

Bluesideup1
02-21-2019, 08:41 PM
Post was never personal, just factual.

Canít interview somewhere youíve never applied.

Actually your post wasn't factual as it implied that Southwest doesn't need ETOPS since it cancels 10% of the flights everyday. Also one has nothing to do with the other as it wouldn't matter if the cancellations were ETOPS or regular so in fact while your post contained a point of factual information the context which you framed it by is was an unfact. With this straight logic it leads me to believe you posted this information more so because of a butt hurt than trying to be factual.

4thLevel
02-22-2019, 01:15 AM
Who needs ETOPS when you cancel almost 10% of your flights in a single day?

Southwest Airlines' flight woes continue, with nearly 400 Thursday flights canceled due to maintenance issues and winter weather.

Yes, because clearly no other airline is impacted by weather in the winter. :rolleyes:

Opakapaka
02-22-2019, 03:35 AM
BTW...SWA just got ETOPS certificate. I imagine announcement soon

N6279P
02-22-2019, 05:09 AM
Yes, because clearly no other airline is impacted by weather in the winter. :rolleyes:

Must be. No other airline had almost 400 cancellations, not even close.

Skyward
02-22-2019, 07:27 AM
BTW...SWA just got ETOPS certificate. I imagine announcement soon

I heard the same thing

flyguy81
02-22-2019, 07:29 AM
Must be. No other airline had almost 400 cancellations, not even close.

LAS got hammered with snow. Which almost never happens. Whoís the largest operator out of Vegas?

pilotrob23
02-24-2019, 07:55 AM
LAS got hammered with snow. Which almost never happens. Whoís the largest operator out of Vegas?

Floyd Mayweather. He has been operating out of Vegas for years, and hasnít been beaten yet.

Grumpyaviator
02-24-2019, 11:09 AM
I would love to have geometric path. However, I was under the impression the idle path was for fuel savings. I'm not enough of a whiz and too lazy to figure it out but idle descents at the last possible second would seem to be more fuel efficient, just not as easy to work with for us and worse for the pax. SWA could switch the logic anytime they want to I assume. The just choose not to.

If you could chop and drop from cruise altitude it would be better, but with the ODP arrivals that has changed. Basically what we do is dive-and-drive step-downs which are less efficient than a constant angle constant speed descent at an econ airspeed.

The studies have been done and geometric path is the most efficient. That is why most airlines do them.

BigWillyCapt
02-24-2019, 07:52 PM
Trust me I'm all for it. Let me make some calls!

WestCoastHercs
02-24-2019, 09:20 PM
Somebody mentioned that SWA received ETOPS certification...
Iím on the LAX list, any traction to that?

Iíll be looking for an announcement. :cool:

4thLevel
02-24-2019, 11:43 PM

Probably something announced tomorrow (Monday).

Smooth at FL450
02-25-2019, 07:11 AM

The last company rally is today in Dallas...my money is the certification and schedule will be announced there. Our first vacancy bid that includes OAK-ETOPS and LAX closes in under 2 hours. Stay tuned.

at6d
02-25-2019, 12:20 PM
Bid results are out.

RJSAviator76
02-25-2019, 12:25 PM
Wow... OAK ETOPS went way senior!

This is gonna be rather interesting....

Proximity
02-25-2019, 04:47 PM

Well what we've learned is that the bottom half of the Oakland EBG likely don't understand contingency vacancy bidding and that there will be ETOPS reserve lines that will go to the bottom EBG pilots. The bottom OAK EGB Captain would be about 50% overall in OAK if they'd stayed domestic. That's a huge hit in QQL to fly a couple HI flights.

e6bpilot
02-25-2019, 06:28 PM

Not surprising in the first couple of months. If you were based in Oakland on purpose and drove to work, there is zero reason not to be part of the EBG. I figured it would go way senior in the Oakland base for the first couple of bids at least.
By sitting out, you are eliminating yourself from a good portion of the flying in the base and gaining nothing.
By participating, you are subject to some great trips and some opportunities to get paid training pulls in the first year or so as this thing ramps up and guys are getting qual'd.
If it gets painful or you just donít want to do the flying anymore because you are sick of the beer at Duke's, you can just bid a regular line and still be part of the EBG or just give away your ETOPS flying and pick up regular trips.

Zard
02-25-2019, 06:35 PM
If it gets painful or you just donít want to do the flying anymore because you are sick of the beer at Duke's, you can just bid a regular line and still be part of the EBG or just give away your ETOPS flying and pick up regular trips.

If you're drinking beer at Duke's, you're doing it wrong. Go get a mai tai, ya haole.

Proximity
02-25-2019, 06:52 PM
If it gets painful or you just don’t want to do the flying anymore because you are sick of the beer at Duke's, you can just bid a regular line and still be part of the EBG or just give away your ETOPS flying and pick up regular trips.

How do you give away your weekend ETOPS reserve line?

All those cool things you mention are possbile if you hold a line. A reserve holder is pretty much stuck. Seeing how the company uses reserves currently I can see the company burning all their non-EBG reserves and ending up using EBG reserves to cover their domestic flying.

RJSAviator76
02-25-2019, 07:23 PM

Except for this little tidbit...

An EBG pilot can be forced into an ETOPS line if there arenít enough senior pilots to have voluntarily bid those ETOPS lines.

And this one...

In the OAK EBG, per the CBA, there must be 150% ETOPS bidders to the number of ETOPS lines. Therefore, some EBG pilots will bid and be awarded non-ETOPS lines.

I read those two tidbits and the way I understand this, there will be some really senior pilots stuck on weekend ETOPS reserve at least until it all shakes out.

Standing by for some serious bellyaching by some pretty senior folks come April 9.

BZC17
02-25-2019, 08:41 PM
Well what we've learned is that the bottom half of the Oakland EBG likely don't understand contingency vacancy bidding and that there will be ETOPS reserve lines that will go to the bottom EBG pilots. The bottom OAK EGB Captain would be about 50% overall in OAK if they'd stayed domestic. That's a huge hit in QQL to fly a couple HI flights.
I like the way you insult others pilots while telling them how to bid. You must be fun in the jet....

sMFer
02-25-2019, 09:56 PM
I like the way you insult others pilots while telling them how to bid. You must be fun in the jet....

I didnít see too much insulting from him. He brought up some valid points.

ZapBrannigan
02-25-2019, 10:15 PM
Me neither... what did he say that upset you?

at6d
02-25-2019, 11:27 PM
(Maybe he was awarded a bid he didnít want?)

e6bpilot
02-26-2019, 05:17 AM
Except for this little tidbit...

And this one...

I read those two tidbits and the way I understand this, there will be some really senior pilots stuck on weekend ETOPS reserve at least until it all shakes out.

Standing by for some serious bellyaching by some pretty senior folks come April 9.

Good points and I agree. There are going to be so many unknowns that come out of this, it is going to be an interesting show to watch.
I flew with a check airman who is going to be doing some of the training. The way he explained it, they are anticipating a full on crush of training events both in Dallas and on the line. I don't think things are going to shake out as neatly as everyone thinks when you throw real life in there. Training scheduling has already said that they are not going to honor our CBA when it comes to TGDOs. Should be fun to watch from the sidelines as senior guys just call in sick when their days off arenít honored and the Boulder starts rolling downhill. It should also be very lucrative for those who can get trip pull while sitting in their houses.
As far as the reserves, that is a great deal for SWA. Until everyone in Oakland is ETOPS qualified (it will happen eventually), the etops reserves will get abused with domestic flying and any disruption in the etops flying will be covered in the usual panic mode scheduling that we have all come to know and love. Again, should be interesting to watch. It should also be very lucrative for the right people.

Sa227capt
02-26-2019, 06:17 AM
Good points and I agree. There are going to be so many unknowns that come out of this, it is going to be an interesting show to watch.
I flew with a check airman who is going to be doing some of the training. The way he explained it, they are anticipating a full on crush of training events both in Dallas and on the line. I don't think things are going to shake out as neatly as everyone thinks when you throw real life in there. Training scheduling has already said that they are not going to honor our CBA when it comes to TGDOs. Should be fun to watch from the sidelines as senior guys just call in sick when their days off arenít honored and the Boulder starts rolling downhill. It should also be very lucrative for those who can get trip pull while sitting in their houses.
As far as the reserves, that is a great deal for SWA. Until everyone in Oakland is ETOPS qualified (it will happen eventually), the etops reserves will get abused with domestic flying and any disruption in the etops flying will be covered in the usual panic mode scheduling that we have all come to know and love. Again, should be interesting to watch. It should also be very lucrative for the right people.

"Supposedly" scheduling has changed their tune and agreed to honor TGDOs so I have heard. I will believe it when I see it.

e6bpilot
02-26-2019, 06:48 AM
"Supposedly" scheduling has changed their tune and agreed to honor TGDOs so I have heard. I will believe it when I see it.

I would go with that feeling. The SWAPA contract admin chair called yesterday and they said they have no intention of following them.
Allegedly, they have already put training on top of TGDOs for those slated for April ETOPS. Should be a good time. Screw that family trip/wedding/bar mitzvah you have been planning for months, we need you in Dallas NOW!

WHACKMASTER
02-26-2019, 07:29 AM
I would go with that feeling. The SWAPA contract admin chair called yesterday and they said they have no intention of following them.
Allegedly, they have already put training on top of TGDOs for those slated for April ETOPS. Should be a good time. Screw that family trip/wedding/bar mitzvah you have been planning for months, we need you in Dallas NOW!

This out to be entertaining to watch from the sidelines :rolleyes:

Proximity
02-26-2019, 07:46 AM
I didn't mean to come off as condescending.

I'm just shocked that pilots that would otherwise be 33-50% in domicile would sign up to be weekend reserve fodder. If the break down of lines, blank lines, and reserve available within the EBG group match what the company has put out, there will be CA who upgraded 10+ years ago on reserve. Maybe the expansion of the EBG will make it all work out after a few months, but there is no guarantee of that, and you can't escape for 6 months.

Remember there is no contractual upper limit on how many reserve lines the company can create. Moreover, we know the mandate it to blow all the reserves out before paying a nickel of premium. I expect to see EGB reserves being used early for stuff like deadheading to DAL to fly one to LBB, then later in the day seeing ETOPS flying being covered by reroutes.

And no, I was not disappointed by the bid. I'm very happy and fortunate to where I'm at, domicile senioritywise.

BZC17
02-26-2019, 07:59 AM
I didn't mean to come off as condescending.

I'm just shocked that pilots that would otherwise be 33-50% in domicile would sign up to be weekend reserve fodder. If the break down of lines, blank lines, and reserve available within the EBG group match what the company has put out, there will be CA who upgraded 10+ years ago on reserve. Maybe the expansion of the EBG will make it all work out after a few months, but there is no guarantee of that, and you can't escape for 6 months.

Remember there is no contractual upper limit on how many reserve lines the company can create. Moreover, we know the mandate it to blow all the reserves out before paying a nickel of premium. I expect to see EGB reserves being used early for stuff like deadheading to DAL to fly one to LBB, then later in the day seeing ETOPS flying being covered by reroutes.

And no, I was not disappointed by the bid. I'm very happy and fortunate to where I'm at, domicile senioritywise.

Yeah, maybe insulting was too strong of a word. One mans trash is another mans treasure?
All of us are here balancing money and quality of life. In my case as a local Oakland guy, I prefer weekends and think their might be some money made in the chaos of the first couple of months. Who knows... I didnít sign up for the beach.
Training Scheduling did honor my gdoís and training is already on my board.

WhaleSurfing
02-26-2019, 08:56 AM
well what we've learned is that the bottom half of the oakland ebg likely don't understand contingency vacancy bidding and that there will be etops reserve lines that will go to the bottom ebg pilots. The bottom oak egb captain would be about 50% overall in oak if they'd stayed domestic. That's a huge hit in qql to fly a couple hi flights.

^^^^exactly^^^^

WhaleSurfing
02-26-2019, 09:01 AM
Not surprising in the first couple of months. If you were based in Oakland on purpose and drove to work, there is zero reason not to be part of the EBG. I figured it would go way senior in the Oakland base for the first couple of bids at least.
By sitting out, you are eliminating yourself from a good portion of the flying in the base and gaining nothing.
By participating, you are subject to some great trips and some opportunities to get paid training pulls in the first year or so as this thing ramps up and guys are getting qual'd.

You're assuming way too much. The mock lines were not that great and many of them are AM turned PM. That's not a good thing with Bay Area traffic. Hawaii gets old (did it quite a bit in previous life). And with all the training you could find it to be painful if you're in that group in OAK. I'm less than an hour from OAK and I didn't bid it. Perhaps when the schedules get better with inter-island flying it will be a better deal but for now, no thanks. Not to mention many moved up quite a bit in the non EBG group.

e6bpilot
02-26-2019, 09:13 AM
You're assuming way too much. The mock lines were not that great and many of them are AM turned PM. That's not a good thing with Bay Area traffic. Hawaii gets old (did it quite a bit in previous life). And with all the training you could find it to be painful if you're in that group in OAK. I'm less than an hour from OAK and I didn't bid it. Perhaps when the schedules get better with inter-island flying it will be a better deal but for now, no thanks. Not to mention many moved up quite a bit in the non EBG group.

Everyone is going to do what they perceive is best for their personal situation. This has the potential to be a goldmine for those who are creative enough to make it work.
I hear you on Hawaii or any vacation destination without people you care about. It just gets old. There is only so much you can do by yourself before you get sick of it.
I am personally ambivalent. I am commuting too far to make it worth my while, but I am hoping the second and third order effects will be positive on seniority and upgrade outlook in the distant future.

Tenacvols
02-26-2019, 09:50 AM
How do you give away your weekend ETOPS reserve line?

All those cool things you mention are possbile if you hold a line. A reserve holder is pretty much stuck. Seeing how the company uses reserves currently I can see the company burning all their non-EBG reserves and ending up using EBG reserves to cover their domestic flying.

I thought I read somewhere that the company wasnít going to use EBG reserves to cover domestic flying....

RJSAviator76
02-26-2019, 09:54 AM
I thought I read somewhere that the company wasnít going to use EBG reserves to cover domestic flying....

Theyíll use them for domestic flying after theyíve exhausted the domestic reserve, and these days, any scheduler that awards premium gets flogged and keelhauled...

Therefore, Iíd plan on being DHíd to DAL to fly one to MAF and pay homage to The Elegantť if I were an ETOPS reserve.

Smooth at FL450
02-26-2019, 11:07 AM

A quick look at today's trainging assignments shows otherwise.

Smooth at FL450
02-26-2019, 11:16 AM

I'd suggest you read the exact opposite.

Tenacvols
02-26-2019, 11:52 AM
I'd suggest you read the exact opposite.

Could have. Didnít delve into it too much since I wonít be bidding anywhere close to the left coast anytime soon. Iíll continue to drive into work here in MCO...

Smooth at FL450
02-26-2019, 12:08 PM
Could have. Didnít delve into it too much since I wonít be bidding anywhere close to the left coast anytime soon. Iíll continue to drive into work here in MCO...

Smart. I'm driving distance from OAK and really happy I steered clear of ETOPs after seeing how they are assigning training. So many guys with TGDOs over spring break, and now with 4 days of training during the same window. Also several guys with trips that touch training on the front or back end with NM deadheads to/from dallas.

flensr
02-26-2019, 12:09 PM
I commute to my line in base xxx. I'd gladly give that up to sit ETOPS reserve from my living room, seniority be damned. For me, living in domicile far outweighs relative seniority at a base I have to commute to.

Regarding numbers, based on the results and unofficial interest lists going around I'd say that there are anywhere from 60 to 80 FOs who actually want to be based in LAX. The first group of 56 got to within 10 of the bottom of the latest unofficial interest list which had about 85 FOs. That's my guess plus/minus some folks who are either just trying it out for 6 months or who are sitting on the sidelines to see if it sucks. Anything over that will be involuntary junior churn taking a line for consolidation (assuming new hires will be allowed to be EBG).

flensr
02-26-2019, 12:14 PM
Smart. I'm driving distance from OAK and really happy I steered clear of ETOPs after seeing how they are assigning training. So many guys with TGDOs over spring break, and now with 4 days of training during the same window. Also several guys with trips that touch training on the front or back end with NM deadheads to/from dallas.

Yea, training really does know how to make candy taste like poop. One guy ended up getting a trip split instead of dropped even though he preferenced QOL so he's scheduled with a block of 10 days out of 11. That's a fatigue call waiting to happen. Apparently it's because ETOPS training isn't specifically mentioned in the contract as a type of training (like recurrent, initial, etc) so company is saying none of the training scheduling rules apply for ETOPS training?

At least that's the story I heard, and where better to drop nasty rumors than here right?

Smooth at FL450
02-26-2019, 01:27 PM
Yea, training really does know how to make candy taste like poop. One guy ended up getting a trip split instead of dropped even though he preferenced QOL so he's scheduled with a block of 10 days out of 11. That's a fatigue call waiting to happen. Apparently it's because ETOPS training isn't specifically mentioned in the contract as a type of training (like recurrent, initial, etc) so company is saying none of the training scheduling rules apply for ETOPS training?

At least that's the story I heard, and where better to drop nasty rumors than here right?

Oh there are plenty of situations like that. Just pick a random etops award and look at their board. Saw a LAX captain who finishes his training then they NM him directly into his trip. Saw another who starts a pairing and mid trip they NM him to DAL for training. I'm guessing there are some unhappy campers today.

Shockley
02-27-2019, 12:23 PM
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/27/southwest-airlines-gets-faa-approval-to-fly-to-hawaii.html

Southwest Airlines is finally on its way to Hawaii.

The Federal Aviation Administration on Wednesday approved the low-cost carrier to fly to the islands, Southwest said.

The airline, which will service Hawaii from the West Coast, will announce when it will start selling tickets to the popular vacation destination in the coming days, it said in a statement.

Southwest revealed its plan to start flying to Hawaii in October 2017, with an eye on selling tickets by 2018, but the partial government shutdown delayed those plans.

The airline needed the FAA to sign off on its plans to fly its Boeing 737 jets over water for long distances. Safety inspectors had been flying with Southwest to Honolulu from Oakland, Calif. in recent weeks and met with airline executives to review Southwestís navigation, maintenance and other procedures.

The airlineís decision to offer service to the Aloha State could make Hawaiian vacations cheaper. In markets where the airline has nonstop service, average one-way fares are $45 lower than in cities without those routes in whatís been dubbed the ďSouthwest Effect,Ē a University of Virginia study found.

Southwest shares were little changed postmarket trading. Shares of Hawaiian Holdings, parent of competitor Hawaiian Airlines, were also flat.

iahflyr
03-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Will Southwest finally go to red-eyeís now that the Hawaiian flying is happening? It seems like a big waste to do Hawaii flying without red-eyes.

Smooth at FL450
03-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Will Southwest finally go to red-eyeís now that the Hawaiian flying is happening? It seems like a big waste to do Hawaii flying without red-eyes.

Not to start...my guess is that within the next couple years weíll be doing them

RJSAviator76
03-01-2019, 07:22 PM
Not to start...my guess is that within the next couple years weíll be doing them

Probably even sooner, especially if we are gonna be serious flying interisland.

WindWalker999
03-01-2019, 10:58 PM
So if interisland for you guys is going to basically be the middle day of a 3 day trip, what happens if someone calls in sick on day 2? I am assuming someone thought ahead about that and the plan would not be to cancel the entire interisland line, so are there plans to have reserves based in HNL?

RJSAviator76
03-02-2019, 04:09 AM
So if interisland for you guys is going to basically be the middle day of a 3 day trip, what happens if someone calls in sick on day 2? I am assuming someone thought ahead about that and the plan would not be to cancel the entire interisland line, so are there plans to have reserves based in HNL?

3 or 4 day trip. Plus we have an embedded reserve clause in our contract. Not to mention, we can get rerouted.

Smooth at FL450
03-02-2019, 06:15 AM

yes it was brought up and the company seems to know how they want to handle it. As was said, our contract allows for embedded etops reserve.

flensr
03-02-2019, 06:21 AM
The "official word" is that no embedded reserves are planned at this time. I think they're going to try to re-route people who are already there and then back-fill the following day with reserves who DH in.

B757200ER
03-04-2019, 08:40 AM
Congrats to SWA on ETOPS...it takes a long time and lots of proving flights. Enjoy Hawaii!

sMFer
03-05-2019, 03:36 PM
Think weíre gonna be continuously weight restricted? Many of the flights show sold out on our website yet Swalife shows 19 open. Hopefully once we get our feet wet, those numbers will change. Itíll be highly dependent on freight I assume.

full of luv
03-05-2019, 05:39 PM
Think weíre gonna be continuously weight restricted? Many of the flights show sold out on our website yet Swalife shows 19 open. Hopefully once we get our feet wet, those numbers will change. Itíll be highly dependent on freight I assume.

Freight on a 737???? I think the winds of the day will be the biggest determinant. Truth be told, the 737 was not designed to fly ETOPS from the get go, so flying it to Hawaii, while feasible and profitable, isn't always the correct metal based on performance.

deus ex machina
03-05-2019, 05:49 PM
Freight on a 737???? I think the winds of the day will be the biggest determinant. Truth be told, the 737 was not designed to fly ETOPS from the get go, so flying it to Hawaii, while feasible and profitable, isn't always the correct metal based on performance.

Heard several mothballed Cold War aircraft carriers are being staged for this big event.... finger crossed!

ROFF
03-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Heard several mothballed Cold War aircraft carriers are being staged for this big event.... finger crossed!

That should keep most of the Kernels from bidding it. :)

sMFer
03-05-2019, 08:48 PM
Heard several mothballed Cold War aircraft carriers are being staged for this big event.... finger crossed!Dude...I'll say it again. Sorry you couldn't get hired here. If you ask nicely, I may consider giving you a letter.

sMFer
03-05-2019, 08:50 PM
Freight on a 737???? I think the winds of the day will be the biggest determinant. Truth be told, the 737 was not designed to fly ETOPS from the get go, so flying it to Hawaii, while feasible and profitable, isn't always the correct metal based on performance.I expect these could potentially be freight heavy at some point. I was told by an Alaska guy that they take what they can outta SMF to OGG and the rest goes on Hawaiian.

joepilot
03-06-2019, 05:28 AM

I'm not sure how it works at "your house", but at "my house" a line holder was not required to be telephone available when not on duty. How would he get assigned training if he could not be contacted?

Joe

e6bpilot
03-06-2019, 05:39 AM
I'm not sure how it works at "your house", but at "my house" a line holder was not required to be telephone available when not on duty. How would he get assigned training if he could not be contacted?

Joe

While I suppose that could theoretically happen, training is generally assigned a month out and 99 percent of pilots have some sort of duty period between now and then. There may be a few who donít (vacation) and that would be a realistic scenario for them.

deus ex machina
03-06-2019, 05:48 AM
Dude...I'll say it again. Sorry you couldn't get hired here. If you ask nicely, I may consider giving you a letter.

Now I am hearing that SWA pax can't get out of Hawaii... no red eyes... do you guys even think before you leap? Customers not happy..

Don't care about your Moto using Tapatalk either... :rolleyes:

RJSAviator76
03-06-2019, 05:55 AM
Seriously, why do you guys pay attention to some washed up, bitter, passed-over idiot troll?

Ignore the trolls, they get bored and they go away.

PropPiedmont
03-06-2019, 09:39 AM
Now I am hearing that SWA pax can't get out of Hawaii... no red eyes... do you guys even think before you leap? Customers not happy..

Who would want to leave Hawaii?

WhaleSurfing
03-06-2019, 09:52 AM

Can't get out? Because there's no redeyes? So the same number of flights and aircraft that go over aren't coming back.

You're some kind of stupid aren't you!

Caveman
03-06-2019, 10:09 AM
To ignore deucheinthemachine......which is 100% effective btw......put your browser in “Desktop mode” if you’re on a mobile device or viewing on a app....>

User CP>Edit Ignore List>Type in deus ex machina

Sluggo_63
03-06-2019, 10:20 AM

I’m not sure what you mean.

Do you mean that since the flights from HNL arrive in CA late in the day, there’s no way to get a connecting flight Eastward without spending an extra day in CA?

Edit: I just tried to book a RT ticket on southwest.com from EWR or BWI to HNL. It just gives an error message. Doesn’t pull up any connecting flight alternatives.

deus ex machina
03-06-2019, 10:20 AM
Can't get out? Because there's no redeyes? So the same number of flights and aircraft that go over aren't coming back.

Nope.. and neither are your customer$ :rolleyes:

Sluggo_63
03-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Found the article mentioning what deus was talking about. Itís exactly what I thought in my post above. The flights from Hawaii get in too late to California to connect to any eastern cities.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2019/03/06/southwest-hawaii-flights-why-some-travelers-cant-find-return-flights/3064099002/

Your last flight to BWI is at 2:30pm?!? The HNL flight doesnít arrive into OAK until 5:00. It seems people jumped on your teaser fares and were able to buy connecting tickets from their homes TO Hawaii, but then found out they canít get back home without spending a night in OAK.

That is pretty poor planning, IMO.

Psycho18th
03-06-2019, 10:41 AM
Same deal getting from PHX to PLS or PUJ. You get to Florida or wherever too late to make it over in a day. Somehow SWA still makes a profit every year, so Iím guessing the guys running the network are just a tad smarter than douche machine guy.

Arenít the Hawaii flights just there for Californians to use frequent flier miles on, so they use the rest of the domestic network and the credit cards more?

deus ex machina
03-06-2019, 10:42 AM

yes? Are you going to be ok?

deus ex machina
03-06-2019, 10:44 AM
Arenít the Hawaii flights just there for Californians to use frequent flier miles on, so they use the rest of the domestic network and the credit cards more?

thanks for the laugh... I do commend you though on putting yourself out there...

We don't have poor hawaii route planning... it's just for Californians...

bwhahahahaha... clowns.

WhaleSurfing
03-06-2019, 11:01 AM
thanks for the laugh... I do commend you though on putting yourself out there...

We don't have poor hawaii route planning... it's just for Californians...

bwhahahahaha... clowns.

It's been stated numerous times by SWA management that their main purpose for starting service to Hawaii was for west coast travelers and California in particular.

Yes you are some kind of stupid; and uniformed. The fact that some people made a quick decision to buy a one-way ticket to the islands from the east coast to get a cheap fare, not worrying about the return portion until a later date is probably right there with you in the "Can't Fix Stupid" category.

Smokey23
03-06-2019, 11:08 AM
It's been stated numerous times by SWA management that their main purpose for starting service to Hawaii was for west coast travelers and California in particular.

Eeeeyep. There are a whole lot less painful ways of getting from HI to the east coast then via 737s, and I think SWA realizes they cannot compete effectively for those customers.

deus ex machina
03-06-2019, 11:14 AM

What else does SWA management tell you? Got a link?

N6279P
03-06-2019, 11:25 AM

Who even knows. Southwest is a mess. Theyíve canceled at least 100 flights everyday for the past 2 and a half weeks.

WhaleSurfing
03-06-2019, 11:26 AM

Research it yourself. It's all out there in the financials and elsewhere but I certainly wouldn't expect you to find it since it doesn't fit into your SWA bashing narrative.

Sorry for the serious chip you have regarding SWA. Perhaps it is just anger on your part (for some reason or another) as opposed to stupidity.

deus ex machina
03-06-2019, 11:29 AM
Research it yourself. It's all out there in the financials and elsewhere but I certainly wouldn't expect you to find it since it doesn't fit into your SWA bashing narrative.

Sorry for the serious chip you have regarding SWA. Perhaps it is just anger on your part (for some reason or another) as opposed to stupidity.

No, man-boy... if you are going to say something, anything then it's on you to back it up... it's how the adult world works...

Who even knows. Southwest is a mess. Theyíve canceled at least 100 flights everyday for the past 2 and a half weeks.

WhaleSurfing
03-06-2019, 11:39 AM
No, man-boy... if you are going to say something, anything then it's on you to back it up... it's how the adult world works...

I don't need to back it up. Not my job to prove the obvious and what has been stated in public financials to a scorned little ****y ass.

I don't really GAS whether you believe it or not. The adult world works by people knowing what they're talking about. You fail miserably in that regard.

I hear that myIDTravel is not working for certain carrier's Jumpseat processing today. Aren't you the self proclaimed Jumpseat monitor? Better go have a look so you can pounce on all those airlines that don't have their $hlt together and call out their union leadership for allowing an IT issue to happen.

Opakapaka
03-06-2019, 03:56 PM

Once the max is on it no problem

4thLevel
03-06-2019, 10:47 PM

The quick answer is no. Remember, the -800 has been quite successfully managing the west coast to Hawaii for a few decades now. I just completed training and was told we will cap sales at 165 seats initially - which seems reasonable until we figure out what works.

Don't buy into the "we have more seats than anyone else flying the -800" nonsense. We also don't have full galleys with ovens, bulky F class seats and any number of other things that add to the empty weight of the a/c. Oh, and then there's that pesky fact of ATA having 175 coach seats on their -800's and rarely (if ever) having an issue.

It will be successful with very few limitations.

RJSAviator76
03-07-2019, 05:54 AM
Folks, seriously why are you feeding the trolls? Ignore them and they go away.

e6bpilot
03-07-2019, 06:40 AM
Folks, seriously why are you feeding the trolls? Ignore them and they go away.

Yep. I stopped responding to his stuff a while back. He always reels someone else in, though.

4thLevel
03-08-2019, 08:25 PM
Yep. I stopped responding to his stuff a while back. He always reels someone else in, though.

Noted, thanks.

PDRit
03-13-2019, 07:36 AM
I don't need to back it up. Not my job to prove the obvious and what has been stated in public financials to a scorned little ****y ass.

I don't really GAS whether you believe it or not. The adult world works by people knowing what they're talking about. You fail miserably in that regard.

I hear that myIDTravel is not working for certain carrier's Jumpseat processing today. Aren't you the self proclaimed Jumpseat monitor? Better go have a look so you can pounce on all those airlines that don't have their $hlt together and call out their union leadership for allowing an IT issue to happen.

Thatís comedic right there. A SW pilot talking about jumpseat issues.

at6d
03-13-2019, 11:11 AM
Itís also in the Southwest Forum, so...

Bluesideup1
03-14-2019, 12:54 AM

I think that was his point and you severely missed it.

OnTheRun
03-14-2019, 04:45 AM
Will be tough to fly to Hawaii with all the 8 Max aircraft grounded.

Peacock
03-14-2019, 04:56 AM
All the Hawaii flying is done with -800ís

Smooth at FL450
03-14-2019, 07:28 AM

Good thing we didn't have the Max on the Hawaii pairings!

hoover
03-14-2019, 10:15 AM
Good thing we didn't have the Max on the Hawaii pairings!

No kidding. That would have been horrible for hawaii flying

sMFer
03-14-2019, 10:29 AM

Youíre a special one.

sMFer
03-14-2019, 10:30 AM

Good thing itís not ETOPS certified yet.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1