Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : How likely can a new FO get CLT?

baronbvp
12-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Any chance new hires can get domiciled in CLT, or is that a super senior base? I know a lot of former US Airways folks are there. I've done some research and saw the thread that talked about CAs, but still don't if CLT is ever a possibility or how long it would take.

seafeye
12-19-2018, 11:56 AM
It changes. But I think there are 2-3 year f/oís trying to get there.

airlinegypsy
12-19-2018, 12:01 PM
Looks like most junior there right now was hired in March 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KiloAlpha
12-19-2018, 01:29 PM
Based on the past few bids, there is zero chance.

meyers9163
12-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Itíll eventually change.... I wouldnít worry too much about it. Things now seem distant for a new hire to CLT. However the next bid things might change. No way of knowing really. Numbers in the end have to be in your favor based on retirements alone in CLT.

BackintheLPA
12-19-2018, 08:18 PM
Forevvver...

baronbvp
12-20-2018, 04:12 AM
Thanks everybody. Itís sort of what I imagined: it could be tomorrow. Or it could be not in my lifetime.

Merry Christmas. [emoji319]

Rockiepilot
12-20-2018, 05:10 AM
Thanks everybody. Itís sort of what I imagined: it could be tomorrow. Or it could be not in my lifetime.

Merry Christmas. [emoji319]

Some of the same people said DFW would take forever. Look at its current trend. Some said Chicago would take forever then last summer a lot of pilots on probation were awarded it.

All in all I wouldnít be too discouraged by it. Bigger question will come would you rather sit SC rsv in CLT when you can take a quick hop to Miami or NYC and have some good schedules and vacations quickly. I know many who are going to DCA vs ORD because itís movement in the 737 has been nice. They would be a few hour drive to ORD and are electing the 45 minute flight to dca until they wonít be the bottom pilot in ord.

Itíll happen sooner then some of these negative Nancyís imply. Stay positive and I think youíll be pleasantly surprised.

Iowa Farm Boy
12-20-2018, 06:04 AM
I've been in CLT two years, at AA 2.5. CLT A320 has been shrinking (down almost 10% this year). Guys below me are leaving for DFW (mostly) or other bases. Very few jr. guys have made it "in" since 08/17. As stated, time is on your side but if they are downsizing A320 in anticipation of a 73 domicile it could take a while.

ORDinary
12-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Some said Chicago would take forever then last summer a lot of pilots on probation were awarded it.

I don't believe this is true.

Covfefe
12-20-2018, 10:28 AM
I've been in CLT two years, at AA 2.5. CLT A320 has been shrinking (down almost 10% this year). Guys below me are leaving for DFW (mostly) or other bases. Very few jr. guys have made it "in" since 08/17. As stated, time is on your side but if they are downsizing A320 in anticipation of a 73 domicile it could take a while.

I live and am based in CLT. Thinking of bidding MIA because my seniority % gets cut in half. I would go from not having a single weekend/holiday off, to having almost whatever I want. My % in CLT hasnít moved more than 1-2% in the 3yrs Iíve been there.

AFTrainerGuy
12-20-2018, 10:54 AM
I live and am based in CLT. Thinking of bidding MIA because my seniority % gets cut in half. I would go from not having a single weekend/holiday off, to having almost whatever I want. My % in CLT hasnít moved more than 1-2% in the 3yrs Iíve been there.

Same thing... coming up on 5 years in CLT and havenít moved at all in the last few years. Each his own, but I still wouldnít commute even for a CA position. 30 drive to work is just too easy.

Rockiepilot
12-20-2018, 04:18 PM
I don't believe this is true.

Hmmm yes it was. Friends with many.

3XP even on the last bid had a few apprentice members awarded ORD.

airlinegypsy
12-21-2018, 08:22 AM
13,8xx is the junior award from the March bid. The others are probably TDY

ORDinary
12-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Hmmm yes it was. Friends with many.

3XP even on the last bid had a few apprentice members awarded ORD.

I don't think the math adds up. Plus the junior FO in ORD didn't change at all this past summer.

Rockiepilot
12-21-2018, 02:28 PM
I don't think the math adds up. Plus the junior FO in ORD didn't change at all this past summer.

They may not have been trained but they certainly were awarded it. I.e March 3xp shows a few into ORD. May be a year held pilots who knows.

Also friends with many who were on probation this summer when awarded ORD very unexpectedly. Many got awarded that about the same time many 737 CAs went to 787 FO to do China...... And obviously that has subsequently backfired on them. :/

I donít know how to find the old awards but I could point it out on those. Recall ORD and PHL were very short staffed. That bid last summer helped that out some but not enough. Looks like this bid finally will help it out. I know a few who were November 2017 hires barely missed ORD on that bid. Then STL closure happen then the 777 did and we havenít seen it since.

This bid my buddies who barely missed the bid last summer look to finally be getting ORD it they desired. A few are staying put though not wanting to be 99.9%.

Again to the original point. Things change. CLT will eventually get back to where it was. Before the FOS cutover many were getting it quickly. FOS happened and odd how many LAA types realized how crappy most their bases are to live in and how appealing the Carolinas are. Many many many subsequently bid into CLT. 737 then flying some routes the 321 was over kill for and or better suited for didnít help the pilots numbers in CLT much either.

The 757 closure also didnít help even if small. Hopefully itís all ironing out system wide and new hires will get where they want With shorter waits.

baronbvp
12-21-2018, 03:52 PM
This a great conversation, thanks.

ORDinary
12-21-2018, 06:58 PM
They may not have been trained but they certainly were awarded it. I.e March 3xp shows a few into ORD. May be a year held pilots who knows.

Also friends with many who were on probation this summer when awarded ORD very unexpectedly. Many got awarded that about the same time many 737 CAs went to 787 FO to do China...... And obviously that has subsequently backfired on them. :/

I donít know how to find the old awards but I could point it out on those. Recall ORD and PHL were very short staffed. That bid last summer helped that out some but not enough. Looks like this bid finally will help it out. I know a few who were November 2017 hires barely missed ORD on that bid. Then STL closure happen then the 777 did and we havenít seen it since.

This bid my buddies who barely missed the bid last summer look to finally be getting ORD it they desired. A few are staying put though not wanting to be 99.9%.

Again to the original point. Things change. CLT will eventually get back to where it was. Before the FOS cutover many were getting it quickly. FOS happened and odd how many LAA types realized how crappy most their bases are to live in and how appealing the Carolinas are. Many many many subsequently bid into CLT. 737 then flying some routes the 321 was over kill for and or better suited for didnít help the pilots numbers in CLT much either.

The 757 closure also didnít help even if small. Hopefully itís all ironing out system wide and new hires will get where they want With shorter waits.

Okay. Not really sure, I just saw that the junior FO in ORD is a 4/17 hire. They would've been off probation in 1/18 or so, not in the summer.

Rockiepilot
12-22-2018, 03:34 PM
Okay. Not really sure, I just saw that the junior FO in ORD is a 4/17 hire. They would've been off probation in 1/18 or so, not in the summer.

Not sure how we can tell. I just happen to know the pilots that got ORD without expecting it on that bid. I was looking for old bids and not even sure how to look them up. Updating a seniority list once a year makes it hard to follow too unless we know the pilots.

No big deal either way. Hopefully these pilots all get where they want fairly quick. CLT and ORD could use some good news and movement. Heck even PHL AB has been stagnant.

airlinegypsy
12-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Not sure how we can tell. I just happen to know the pilots that got ORD without expecting it on that bid. I was looking for old bids and not even sure how to look them up. Updating a seniority list once a year makes it hard to follow too unless we know the pilots.

No big deal either way. Hopefully these pilots all get where they want fairly quick. CLT and ORD could use some good news and movement. Heck even PHL AB has been stagnant.

They are TDY from LAX. There are pilots over a year their senior waiting to get into ORD.

Rockiepilot
12-23-2018, 03:36 AM
They are TDY from LAX. There are pilots over a year their senior waiting to get into ORD.

No they are not. They are pilots who were awarded ORD and live there.

Subsequently we may not be back at the year range. My comment was strictly last summer we had a large group of pilots awarded ORD that were still on probation who didnít expect it.

Then we had the STL closure and 777 news and recently the 787 news. That then brought a hault.

Now we have a bid that has decent ord clt and even phl and dca openings. Iím saying you will see a lot of new pilots into ord and it wonít surprise me if they are probation pilots.

March 3xp wouldnít show a TDY.

Not sure what the point of argument is here. My reference is CLT is known right now for its nearly impossible movement to get into. Iím saying things change and will. No need to think it wonít. I.e ORD last summer.

Yes the past several ord bids have not allowed it. However the one this summer certainly did. And again I had many friends of mine who got into ord and few who barely missed it and fully anticipate this bid being their award into ord. Some in the November 2017 class who werenít far away that actually pulled their bid even because they rather commute to dca where they are senior for the time being.

Not exactly sure but that particular pilot was very close to getting ord this past summer and is glad he didnít as his seniority in DCA has exploded.

airlinegypsy
12-23-2018, 05:33 AM
Sent you the TDY results in a DM

meyers9163
12-23-2018, 10:31 AM
No they are not. They are pilots who were awarded ORD and live there.

Subsequently we may not be back at the year range. My comment was strictly last summer we had a large group of pilots awarded ORD that were still on probation who didnít expect it.

Then we had the STL closure and 777 news and recently the 787 news. That then brought a hault.

Now we have a bid that has decent ord clt and even phl and dca openings. Iím saying you will see a lot of new pilots into ord and it wonít surprise me if they are probation pilots.

March 3xp wouldnít show a TDY.

Not sure what the point of argument is here. My reference is CLT is known right now for its nearly impossible movement to get into. Iím saying things change and will. No need to think it wonít. I.e ORD last summer.

Yes the past several ord bids have not allowed it. However the one this summer certainly did. And again I had many friends of mine who got into ord and few who barely missed it and fully anticipate this bid being their award into ord. Some in the November 2017 class who werenít far away that actually pulled their bid even because they rather commute to dca where they are senior for the time being.

Not exactly sure but that particular pilot was very close to getting ord this past summer and is glad he didnít as his seniority in DCA has exploded.

You are right. Last Juneís bid had flood gates open up in ORD. APA website you can see archives of the bids for the record. Since then as you said STL displacements etc caused that to stop.

June 2018 was the bid which had an April award date on it. Many ORD CAs and FOs got pumped in for the summer due to it being so short staffed. Probably will happen on this bid again it looks.

Rockiepilot
12-23-2018, 10:36 AM
Thanks. Couldnít find it on AA pilots but that makes sense. Last Junes bid. Not sure why 3xp shows March pilots as TDY from LAX. Very odd.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1