Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : How long to upgrade to CA in SAN?

baronbvp
12-22-2018, 06:37 PM
Iím a new FO about to start GS and hope to get domiciled in SAN. If I could upgrade in a few years and end up back here in San Diego instead of commuting, it might be worth staying here instead of jumping to the majors. Thoughts on that likelihood?

TimetoClimb
12-22-2018, 06:51 PM
Sure, you can make a career out of skywest...
The plug at san is 5yrs.
Alaska is not our most dependable partner though so who knows what the long term future holds.

amcnd
12-22-2018, 06:54 PM
The Alaska E175ís are on 12 year contracts. And probably one of our safest partners. Hard to predict upgrade in SAN. But it is our largest AS flying base..

baronbvp
12-23-2018, 05:34 AM
The Alaska E175ís are on 12 year contracts. And probably one of our safest partners. Hard to predict upgrade in SAN. But it is our largest AS flying base..

Well thatís good to know.

domino
12-23-2018, 06:25 AM
Staying at a regional versus going to a major? Unless you are in your late 50s, thatís an odd path.

baronbvp
12-23-2018, 06:41 AM
Iím 57. It would indeed be an odd path and I canít really afford to do that. In spite of the fact that driving to work would be attractive, I will likely have to move from SAN in a few years anyway for family reasons. So if Iím going to commute Iíd sure rather be getting major pay. Iím just researching options at this point.

domino
12-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Iím 57. It would indeed be an odd path and I canít really afford to do that. In spite of the fact that driving to work would be attractive, I will likely have to move from SAN in a few years anyway for family reasons. So if Iím going to commute Iíd sure rather be getting major pay. Iím just researching options at this point.

I see. Good luck with your choice. 👍

ReadyRsv
12-28-2018, 03:11 PM
You will make more at a major from day one than SkyWest, especially if coming over as a FO. Upgrade at DAL and UAL is less than the time to get to SAN.

baronbvp
12-28-2018, 03:51 PM
You will make more at a major from day one than SkyWest, especially if coming over as a FO. Upgrade at DAL and UAL is less than the time to get to SAN.

That works for me. [emoji16]

stnkbg1
12-30-2018, 07:03 AM
If being an FO at the majors is so much better than being a captain at a regional, how do the regionals manage to keep captains? I have actually been having the same thought as the OP, as I live in SAN, have a family here, and the prospect of being SAN based is very attractive to me. QOL is much more important to me than money, but does an FO for the majors really make more than a skywest Captain?

wrxpilot
12-30-2018, 07:10 AM
If being an FO at the majors is so much better than being a captain at a regional, how do the regionals manage to keep captains? I have actually been having the same thought as the OP, as I live in SAN, have a family here, and the prospect of being SAN based is very attractive to me. QOL is much more important to me than money, but does an FO for the majors really make more than a skywest Captain?

Because itís not always easy to move on, as getting hired by a major airline can be quite competitive depending on your background.

As for the compensation, the payscales for the major airlines are listed on this website. Yes, you will make more money your first year almost everywhere. By year two, you will likely make double at some and significantly more at all of them than even the most senior SkyWest 175 CA.

rickair7777
12-30-2018, 07:13 AM

Yes. I was over a decade at the regionals, first year (legacy) was about a wash if you ignore training pay for the first few months. Second year was a very large increase (about 50% ish), and I'll have doubled my net pay well before year five.

In addition to hourly rates, large factors are 401k direct contribution (15-16% with no employee contribution required) and annual bonuses along the lines of one months pay.

Oh yeah and more days off... if I really wanted to I could also use the additional days off to pick up open time or premium and make even more money.

I understand some regionals may be improving CA pay and 401k match, my regional baseline on that was about 5-7% match.

That's the unvarnished comparison from someone who recently lived it. Assumes fast moving seniority list so you don't spend much time on reserve.

Obviously that's regional CA => legacy FO. Regional FO => legacy FO would be a much sharper contrast.

Now with all that said, if you can live where you want to live and drive to work there's some dollar value to that (especially if you have a mil retirement). But in the case of SAN, everybody and their brother (including WN now) has bases in the LA area. Not a fun drive but you can drive it. How much $ is it worth? If you're comparing regional FO to legacy FO it would be somewhere between $100-200K on the table just to make the drive. Plus WN has bases in PHX and LAS, which are easy commutes by air.

word302
12-30-2018, 04:10 PM

Because people get comfortable and have Stockholm syndrome. They think that they have it so great because they don't want to get out of their comfort zones. They are lying to themselves. They also are not very good with a calculator. At least the ones that say it will take years to get back the money they will give up making the jump.

rickair7777
12-30-2018, 04:30 PM
Because people get comfortable and have Stockholm syndrome. They think that they have it so great because they don't want to get out of their comfort zones. They are lying to themselves. They also are not very good with a calculator. At least the ones that say it will take years to get back the money they will give up making the jump.

Ok, in all honesty 6-8 years ago a senior CA at a good regional would need five years just to get back to where he started, due to post-9/11 BK pay rates. Only exceptions were really FDX/UPS and probably WN. So there's a basis of truth in that perception.

But it's no longer the case today.

word302
12-30-2018, 05:14 PM
Ok, in all honesty 6-8 years ago a senior CA at a good regional would need five years just to get back to where he started, due to post-9/11 BK pay rates. Only exceptions were really FDX/UPS and probably WN. So there's a basis of truth in that perception.

But it's no longer the case today.

And hasn't been the case for going on 5 years now, yet so many still believe it to be so. Even the LCCs are offering a significant pay/QOL bump over the best regionals.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1