Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Does QX require a TSO headset?

210Av8r
12-23-2018, 06:29 AM
Does QX require a TSO headset?

Sikorsky38
12-23-2018, 07:36 AM
Does QX require a TSO headset?

It is more an issue that the FAA requires it, so yes, every airline requires a TSO headset.

210Av8r
12-23-2018, 09:18 AM
It is more an issue that the FAA requires it, so yes, every airline requires a TSO headset.

Will have to return the non-TSO Clarity Aloft Santa brought me?

snackysmores
12-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Just have a back up plan if a Fed or "that guy" LCA is in the flight deck.

SurferLucas
12-23-2018, 12:42 PM
Just have a back up plan if a Fed or "that guy" LCA is in the flight deck.

It's a free game question to ask of the crews, much like the new requirement to carry your glasses if they're required on your medical.

Get a TSO'd headset and you won't have to worry about it.

I can remember when the FAA/QX made it a thing, and it was quite the big deal.

TiredSoul
12-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Will have to return the non-TSO Clarity Aloft Santa brought me?

FAA guy: Is that headset TSO compliant?
You: Well yes sir it is.
You: How about that wall?

FAA guy going off on a tangential rant....

Done!

210Av8r
12-23-2018, 04:14 PM
FAA guy: Is that headset TSO compliant?
You: Well yes sir it is.
You: How about that wall?

FAA guy going off on a tangential rant....

Done!
Does the same tactic work during training?
On the line, are their headsets available in the plane for the odd case that the tactic fails?

DarkSideMoon
12-23-2018, 04:45 PM
Does the same tactic work during training?
On the line, are their headsets available in the plane for the odd case that the tactic fails?

Just get a compliant headset and be done with it.

Starchkr
12-23-2018, 06:44 PM
My philosophy is to aim for being compliant in every way possible in my daily work routine. Train like you fly and fly like you train. Keep it simple.

Packrat
12-24-2018, 07:09 AM
Just get a compliant headset and be done with it.

Agreed. Just get a GOOD TSO headset. This is one area where it doesn't pay to skimp. You get what you pay for.

DjHubberts
12-25-2018, 05:29 AM
Agreed. Just get a GOOD TSO headset. This is one area where it doesn't pay to skimp. You get what you pay for.

I'd slightly disagree, as Lightspeed makes great products that are not TSO'd. Their choice. And I used the Mach 1s for years. Too bad really.

Starchkr
12-25-2018, 09:05 AM
I'd slightly disagree, as Lightspeed makes great products that are not TSO'd. Their choice. And I used the Mach 1s for years. Too bad really.

Yes itís too bad but do you really want to risk it? IMO itís better to go with the flow on this one. Keep it simple.

DjHubberts
12-25-2018, 02:10 PM
Yes itís too bad but do you really want to risk it? IMO itís better to go with the flow on this one. Keep it simple.

Agreed. Why risk it.

Tippy
12-26-2018, 07:09 AM

It actually a matter of the airlines OPSPECS. The feds publish TSO guidelines for headsets, then the airlines choose to put that requirement in their OPSPECS making it a legal requirement, there are a few airlines that do NOT require them. SKW for sure, i think Jetblue also doesnt require them.

word302
12-26-2018, 10:28 AM
It actually a matter of the airlines OPSPECS. The feds publish TSO guidelines for headsets, then the airlines choose to put that requirement in their OPSPECS making it a legal requirement, there are a few airlines that do NOT require them. SKW for sure, i think Jetblue also doesnt require them.

Not only that, but I've never heard of a fed knowing or caring either way. Thousands of pilots flying around with the original uflymike is a testament to that.

Vanilla
12-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Let's split hairs.... because this is APC :p

Read the wording under FOM 7.2.5 under Required Flight Crew Equipment

So use your own non-TSO headset and make sure a TSO'd headset is available and accessible that you supplied and maintained.

By that wording, I don't see where it states shall use or wear/don a TSO'd headset...

And it states his... so our female pilots are exempt? :rolleyes:

I mean. It also states we need to carry the spare battery around. But it doesn't say it needs to be charged to any level! :D

Squeakygreaser
12-27-2018, 01:55 PM
There are spares available in the plane that you can use for a faa line check. It seems that they only care about the old uflymike that needs the earbuds. They don't bother people about the lightspeeds and probably wouldn't notice the clarity alofts either.

That being said I have the TSOd version of the clarity aloft and I like it.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1