Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Sun Country Interview

n606tw
12-23-2018, 02:49 PM
Hey Folks ... got a call for an interview with Sunny! Always trying to do the best to get the job offer ... any intel on the interview process? thanks

milmil34
12-23-2018, 05:33 PM
Where are you currently working?

n606tw
12-24-2018, 08:19 AM
Regional ...but looking to move forward in the food chain!

Beechnutz
01-02-2019, 08:45 AM
Any more advise here?

skytrails
01-02-2019, 11:55 AM
Iím guessing right now if you have a pulse and donít come off as an idiot in the interview youíll probably get the job. Pretty sure sun country is having a hard time getting qualified applicants.

jbeauv
01-23-2019, 12:22 PM
Iím guessing right now if you have a pulse and donít come off as an idiot in the interview youíll probably get the job. Pretty sure sun country is having a hard time getting qualified applicants.

I would love to come to Sun Country but that FO pay is a hard pill to swallow

sMFer
02-14-2019, 10:28 AM
You can all help out the Sun Country guys/gals and steer clear of the airline until they get a respectable contract with rules and rates that are near their peers.

If they have a hard time hiring people, they'll be more eager to improve their pilot contract.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

dvtpilot
02-18-2019, 04:44 AM
I would love to come to Sun Country but that FO pay is a hard pill to swallow

Same. After some deliberation and an interview invite, I decided to stay on at my regional. Left seat pay difference to right seat FO was just too big.

That said, hereís hoping for a bump in the future.

Cloudsurfer83
03-05-2019, 08:20 PM
I want to come to Sunny, and canít get a call. Currently, a CA at a lower tier regional. Looking for QOL in MSP (or PDX). Ah well... [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Contrail06
03-06-2019, 09:00 AM
Conference room with 5 interviewers. Seem strange at the time because I expected to just see 1 or 2 people in the room.

My interview in 2012 consisted of the following questions:

Tell me about yourself? (Heavy emphasis that I lived in MN at the time)
Why SC?
Do you have any training failures? ( I said no) They asked 3 more times I think to see if I was lying.
Would you leave for Delta, United etc when they start hiring? Why not...I think you have to sell this one to get the job.
Would you pay a training contract if you did leave?

I got asked the last 2 by 2 different interviewers again, I think to see if I was lying or would shift my answer slightly. I just restated with a little more enthusiasm what I said the first time. Worked, got the job. I don't work there anymore, so I can't offer any info on what's its like working there now.

throwingbones
03-13-2019, 07:43 PM
Anyone have a more recent interview experience they could share?

I spent the $20 on airlineinterviews.com already, but I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks in Advance.

FlyCO
03-14-2019, 04:45 PM
The gouge on Airlineinterviews.com is solid. I interviewed in March and had no surprises.

JimWA77
03-16-2019, 06:19 AM
Anyone have a more recent interview experience they could share?

I spent the $20 on airlineinterviews.com already, but I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

Thanks in Advance.

I interviewed on the 13th, CJO on the 15th!

The whole process was 2 hours. Started with the Hogan on their iPad, 20 min. Turned in logs and copies of all the requested paperwork, then studied the Jepp approach/departure they provided. About 45 minutes in the hot seat with the panel of 3. They made it all very relaxed, and started with a presentation about the company, benefits, future, and how training would go. Then the standard tell us about yourself, TMAAT, and WWYD scenario. Told them about a system on my current jet, and briefed the approach. If you do Emerald Coast for prep, it's a breeze! Good luck!

throwingbones
03-18-2019, 08:03 AM
You guys are awesome, thanks for the heads up.

Cloudsurfer83
03-26-2019, 08:50 AM
I interviewed on the 13th, CJO on the 15th!

The whole process was 2 hours. Started with the Hogan on their iPad, 20 min. Turned in logs and copies of all the requested paperwork, then studied the Jepp approach/departure they provided. About 45 minutes in the hot seat with the panel of 3. They made it all very relaxed, and started with a presentation about the company, benefits, future, and how training would go. Then the standard tell us about yourself, TMAAT, and WWYD scenario. Told them about a system on my current jet, and briefed the approach. If you do Emerald Coast for prep, it's a breeze! Good luck!

Iíd you donít mind me asking, What were your current times when you got a interview? Did you just apply on airline apps? Iím trying to gouge why Iím not getting a call. Thanks

Beechnutz
03-26-2019, 02:33 PM
Experience level is all over the place in my class.

I have 3000tt 1500 turbine 400 turbine PIC but that was part 135 and 850 121. 2 year degree.

I think the guys with less experience than I have are local guys and have bachelors from places like UND.

JimWA77
04-05-2019, 07:26 PM
Iíd you donít mind me asking, What were your current times when you got a interview? Did you just apply on airline apps? Iím trying to gouge why Iím not getting a call. Thanks

I'm a 41 yo mil only guy (about to retire), 3800TT, all but 500 were heavy multi turbine. That 500 is GA, half of which is multi piston. 2000 instructor. CFI, II, MEI with a master's and a fair amount of community involvement/volunteerism. Diverse mil career that was pretty ok.
Airlineapps and 1 internal rec. Good luck!

Cloudsurfer83
04-06-2019, 05:44 AM
I'm a 41 yo mil only guy (about to retire), 3800TT, all but 500 were heavy multi turbine. That 500 is GA, half of which is multi piston. 2000 instructor. CFI, II, MEI with a master's and a fair amount of community involvement/volunteerism. Diverse mil career that was pretty ok.

Thanks so much for the response! Yeah, Iíll get working on the internal rec for sure. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Czervik
04-11-2019, 02:23 AM
Conference room with 5 interviewers. Seem strange at the time because I expected to just see 1 or 2 people in the room.

My interview in 2012 consisted of the following questions:

Tell me about yourself? (Heavy emphasis that I lived in MN at the time)
Why SC?
Do you have any training failures? ( I said no) They asked 3 more times I think to see if I was lying.
Would you leave for Delta, United etc when they start hiring? Why not...I think you have to sell this one to get the job.
Would you pay a training contract if you did leave?

I got asked the last 2 by 2 different interviewers again, I think to see if I was lying or would shift my answer slightly. I just restated with a little more enthusiasm what I said the first time. Worked, got the job. I don't work there anymore, so I can't offer any info on what's its like working there now.

This interview would raise a ton of red flags.

beech1980
04-11-2019, 05:43 AM
This interview would raise a ton of red flags.

Only if you knew. Still stuck in the Mesaba garbage.

SoFloFlyer
04-12-2019, 07:31 PM

Woah.. you should be at a Major with that resume!

JimWA77
04-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Woah.. you should be at a Major with that resume!
Yes, I'm happy to be at Sun Country starting in July! Thanks!!

phrogpi
04-16-2019, 06:01 AM

Heard a rumor, on the line, that summer classes were cancelled. Jim, are you still on for July?

Neverassume
04-16-2019, 10:24 PM

If youíre starting in July, when did you interview? Iím trying to get an idea of how long the time between the interview and day 1 of class is currently

Thanks

MachJ
04-17-2019, 11:42 AM
How many checkride failures would keep you from getting a job here?

jtg007
04-20-2019, 03:56 PM
Just a FYI, new pilot only crashpad in MSP. A 5000 sqft., 7 bdrm, 4 baths, executive home with all the amenities, just 15 minutes from MSP. Great while in training or if a commuter. PM me or checkout https://blockedinncrashpads.com (MSP).

JimWA77
05-29-2019, 07:39 AM
Heard a rumor, on the line, that summer classes were cancelled. Jim, are you still on for July?

Yep, the rumors are true. My July indoc has been pushed to September, and my CJO amended...since I'll soon be apart of the check-a-month club, it's ok for me, but hope the others hearing about it are able to float for 2 months.
Reason given was high retention, so they're slowing down the training pipeline. As I'm a glass half full type, I'll take this as a good sign.
Thanks to phrogpi for the heads up, it gave me an opportunity to think through a contingency plan prior to the call, and turn my tail to the shockwave!

And to answer other questions regarding timeline (which are now OBE?), I submitted my app in Dec 18, interviewed Mar 19, asked for a Jul 19 indoc, which per above is now Sep 19. I could have been at indoc in May, but as I'm still in uniform, needed July or later. Now I get the summer off!

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1