Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Headset

planesense
12-24-2018, 10:21 AM
Current Republic pilots... what advice would you give a new hire about buying a headset? I currently have the standard DCís, and am considering the Bose A20. Not sure about what configuration/specifications are needed to work with the 170/175.

Blankstar85
12-24-2018, 10:34 AM
I've been told it's the standard two plug, I plan to use my Halo headset in bought two years ago. Been using it in a chieftain and a hawker

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Web265
12-24-2018, 10:36 AM
Standard DC's are available on all the planes. If you are happy with those, you wouldn't even have to carry a headset.

I've recently purchased the new Bose Proflights. I'm very happy with those. I've seen a lot of captains using Clarity Aloft, Bose A20's and ships headsets. It's really a matter of personal preference.

Configuration? I bought the twin plug set up as I do some GA flying and want to be able to use the headset in the cessna. Most (if not all of the aircraft) I've notice also have the six pin (?) configuration.

Current Republic pilots... what advice would you give a new hire about buying a headset? I currently have the standard DCís, and am considering the Bose A20. Not sure about what configuration/specifications are needed to work with the 170/175.

814Pilot
12-24-2018, 10:39 AM

I got the Bose proflights. Light headset and I love it. The A20s are popular too as well as clarity alofts. I personally like not having the heavy over ear headsets as the E170 is decently quiet and heavier headsets arenít necessary

planesense
12-24-2018, 10:42 AM
Iím assuming any of these would fulfill TSO requirements...?

Blankstar85
12-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Standard DC's are available on all the planes. If you are happy with those, you wouldn't even have to carry a headset.

I've recently purchased the new Bose Proflights. I'm very happy with those. I've seen a lot of captains using Clarity Aloft, Bose A20's and ships headsets. It's really a matter of personal preference.

Configuration? I bought the twin plug set up as I do some GA flying and want to be able to use the headset in the cessna. Most (if not all of the aircraft) I've notice also have the six pin (?) configuration.6 pin would be the Bose Lima plug, you'd limit yourself with that, but nice thing is power comes from ship power

4V14T0R
12-24-2018, 10:51 AM

The Bose works great but I think itís overkill for the 170. A lot of people use them but I think most have them from their flight instructing days.

Other common headsets: Telex 850, Clarity Aloft, QC-15. There are probably more than a few others that Iíve missed.

I have used the Telex 850s for 5 years and like them. I personally hate having to swap batteries.

Edit: Also, do you prefer over ear, on ear, or in ear? That helps to narrow down the options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longhornmaniac8
12-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Current Republic pilots... what advice would you give a new hire about buying a headset? I currently have the standard DC’s, and am considering the Bose A20. Not sure about what configuration/specifications are needed to work with the 170/175.

If you're in the market for the A20s, look at the Bose ONE-X, too. It's just as good (better, IMO), and $200 cheaper. It also packs down smaller than the A20s, meaning more space in your bag.

planesense
12-24-2018, 11:51 AM
Edit: Also, do you prefer over ear, on ear, or in ear? That helps to narrow down the options.

I think over ear would work best for me.

4V14T0R
12-24-2018, 11:56 AM
I think over ear would work best for me.

That pretty much narrows you to the A20s, QCs, Sennheiser, or what you currently have.

IFlyThings
12-24-2018, 12:28 PM
Headsets are not required to be TSOíd, in case anyone was looking at saving a few bucks.

As mentioned above, headset choice is really just dictated by personal tastes. I prefer over the ear, but I fly with a bunch of guys who like the in-ear kind better.

planesense
12-24-2018, 12:59 PM
Headsets are not required to be TSOíd, in case anyone was looking at saving a few bucks.

As mentioned above, headset choice is really just dictated by personal tastes. I prefer over the ear, but I fly with a bunch of guys who like the in-ear kind better.

I think Iíd actually like in-ears better, but my ears start to hurt after just 15 minutes of having iPhone earbuds in. Maybe I could get something custom-fit to my ear?

05Duramax
12-24-2018, 01:03 PM
I was recently doing some research about this on APC; from what I read I was under the impression the E-170/175 used the 5 pin "Airbus" style plug not 6 pin?

Longhornmaniac8
12-24-2018, 01:41 PM
If you're in the market for the A20s, look at the Bose ONE-X, too. It's just as good (better, IMO), and $200 cheaper. It also packs down smaller than the A20s, meaning more space in your bag.

I wrote Bose, but I meant David Clark. The David Clark ONE-X.

TangoIndiaMike1
12-24-2018, 05:40 PM

If anyone asked and also of the people that asked the slim chance they are serious I would point at the headset drawer.

Jungle Jim
12-24-2018, 11:39 PM
DC Pro X w/XLR plug has been unreal.

brewpilot
12-25-2018, 02:20 PM
I was recently doing some research about this on APC; from what I read I was under the impression the E-170/175 used the 5 pin "Airbus" style plug not 6 pin?

Youíre correct. I have the Bose A20 with 5-pin plug (airbus) and it fits in 170/175s. Itís the best $300 Iíve spent on a downlink cable. No battery changing every other 4 day trip. Plus I still have the GA plug for when I wanna fly outside of work.

sigler
12-25-2018, 02:28 PM
Does the Embraer have a hot mic intercom? Do you guys keep your headsets on during cruise flight as well?

814Pilot
12-25-2018, 06:01 PM
Does the Embraer have a hot mic intercom? Do you guys keep your headsets on during cruise flight as well?

Yes and yes most donít take them off

TheWeatherman
12-26-2018, 06:26 PM
There is really no such thing anymore since the FAA letter. It's a relic along with keeping all electronics off until above 10,000.

Joachim
01-08-2019, 07:04 PM
I got a used telex 850 set for $200 off eBay. It served me fine. My current employer issues 850ís and doesnít allow anything else. Again, no one seems to complain...

86BravoPapa
01-08-2019, 08:54 PM
Anyone used/using the Bose QCs with the add-on mic setups? I've heard good things but never tried it.

Blankstar85
01-09-2019, 03:05 AM
I had the qc2 with the u fly Mike when I was instructing 2007 - 2010, logged about 900 hours with them. Not as expensive as the Bose noise canceling, noise reduction in the Cessna ( 152 and 172 ) was a little better than the regular ones, but you didn't have the clamping on the head. They are a good setup in general and the nice thing is you have a headset to use for music when not flying. You just need to make sure you keep spare batteries as there is no sound if they die.

Longleaf7
02-12-2019, 05:22 PM
Thereís a drawer full of David Clarkís in every plane. The price is right!

2fly1034
02-13-2019, 04:36 PM
Plane has 5 pin plug for ship power just like Airbus. I have a converter for 2 prong as well should I ever fly GA again.

TwinTandem
02-14-2019, 03:37 PM
I used the A20s for a little while great headsets but a little large and hot spot wearing sunglasses. Got the Proflight and am very happy with that purchase. If u r in a bind there are the aircraft headsets, but I would highly recommend u get ur own regardless. Much more sanitary.

Captain Slow
02-19-2019, 06:17 AM
DC ProX. Light weight, ANR, super soft on-ear pads, no hotspots with sunglasses, no vice-grip feeling on the head after a long day of flying. Get it with the 5pin/airbus plug and you wonít even have to replace batteries.

IDrive175
02-19-2019, 08:37 AM
Forgive me... whatís a ďhotspotĒ in reference to headsets and sunglasses?

TJBrass
02-19-2019, 10:44 AM
"Anyone used/using the Bose QCs with the add-on mic setups? I've heard good things but never tried it."

Might be OK for GA, but the problem is the batteries die without warning, and then you're left wondering why the FO isn't responding to you or the radio calls.

IDrive175
02-19-2019, 10:52 AM
"Anyone used/using the Bose QCs with the add-on mic setups? I've heard good things but never tried it."

Might be OK for GA, but the problem is the batteries die without warning, and then you're left wondering why the FO isn't responding to you or the radio calls.

Canít you just get one with the Airbus plug? No more batteries needed.